Welcome to Gaia! ::

Moderator Application Information

The purpose of this sticky is to allow you to get information you need about the Moderator Application Announcement. You may ask any questions about the application here, but please keep any non-application related questions in the main Q&A forum. Posts or questions not related to getting assistance with the application process will be removed

Please make sure to read the first three posts before asking a question, many of the commonly asked questions are covered already.

The previous sticky contains useful information and can still be read in full here.

Please note: It has come to our attention that there are some devious people linking to the application saying they're part of Gaia staff and asking for your password.

We will never PM you requesting your password, if anyone does please report them. Real Gaia staff will never ask for your password. Please report this person for having asked for your password.

Navigation:
  1. Introduction
  2. Requirements
  3. Essential Information
Requirements

To apply as a moderator, you account must meet the following requirements:
  • You must be at least 18 years old at the time of application
  • Your account must be at least six months old
  • It must be at least three months since you have been rejected if you had submitted a previous moderator application
  • You must have made at least 20 reports in the last month. At least 10 of these should be reports made in forums

Moderators can come from all around the site. We are looking for users who are active, interested in learning and giving back to the community, and who can effectively deal with challenges and solve problems. If you meet the basic requirements and are prepared to learn, complete training will be provided.

More information on exactly where to apply is in the following post of this thread.
Essential Information Before Applying

Please review this information before submitting a moderator application. This post contains vital knowledge for all prospective moderator applicants.

1. Q: How old do I have to be to apply?
    A: You need to be at least 18 years of age to submit an application.

2. Q: Do I have to be 18 now or can I apply now since I’m turning 18 in 3 weeks / 3 months?
    A: You must be at least 18 the day you submit your application.

3. Q: How do you know if I’m 18 or not? What If I lie?
    A: We have many ways of verifying identity. Since moderators are involved in complex relationships and systems of Gaia, they are required to provide additional information to us that allows us to verify their identity. Providing incorrect or falsified information to us in this regard will most likely result in your account being permabanned.

4. Q: Why do I have to be 18? Why can't you let younger people apply?
    A: When filling out the application, you are signing a non-disclosure agreement, and if you are under the age of 18 you cannot do this. As well, moderators often remove content posted on Gaia that violates our Terms of Service. This inappropriate content may contain images considered to be graphically violent or sexually inappropriate, and is not material anyone under 18 should be handling.

5. Q: What are the benefits to becoming a moderator?
    A: Becoming a Gaia Moderator comes with a number of benefits:
    • Moderators give back to the Gaia community and improve experience for our users.

• Moderators are able to provide more direct suggestions about changes to forum and site rules and policies.

• Moderators have the opportunity to learn more about the site and solve problems of various kinds for different users.

• Moderators are eligible to receive a weekly amount of Gaia Gold/Platinum, items, and Gaia Cash depending on the amount of reports they complete.

• Moderators get instant access to the SCAS beta-testing guild and get to test all new features and occasionally events.

• Moderators sometimes are allowed to take part in on-going Gaia events and roleplay as NPCs.

• Moderators get access to Cloud 9.

• Gaia Online Moderation can be added as volunteer resume experience.

6. Q: The application asks for my first and last name! Why do you need that? What if I put something else?
    A: You are signing a non-disclosure agreement by filling out this application, and your first and last name are basically your signature online. Your information will be kept confidential, and it is required to use your legal name to make this a valid NDA and not your Gaia username.

Providing incorrect or falsified information to us in this regard may result in your account being permabanned.

7. Q: I am not old enough to be a moderator on Gaia, but can I still be a Forum Assistant?
    A: A Forum Assistant's sole responsibility is to move misplaced threads from their assigned forum to the forum best suited for the thread's content. Forum Assistants must also be over the age of 18 since they are required to sign a non-disclosure agreement. If you're over the age of 18 and interested in applying to be a Forum Assistant, please read our Site Questions & Assistance post for details.

8. Q: Do we have to be in the US/California to apply?
    A: No, our moderators come from all over the world. Since everything is done online there is no need to be located near the Gaia Online headquarters. Nationality is not an issue at all.

9. Q: Do I have to report a certain number of ToS violations to apply?
    A: Yes, you need to have reported at least 20 violations within the last month to access the application and apply.

You do not need to have any non-forum reports, but at least 10 of the reports you have filed in the last month must be from forums, and you must have filed at least 20 reports in total. Non-forum reports are reports from areas aside from forums such as games, PMs, and profiles. You may not know how many reports you have made, but when we review your application, your report history is reviewed and we will verify both the quantity and quality of your reports.

If you report violations regularly when you see them, it helps Gaia and it increases your chances of becoming a Moderator. So, report often and report accurately.

10. Q: Why do I need to have made reports?
    To be an effective moderator, a user needs to have an understanding of Gaia's Terms of Service and Rules & Guidelines. Reporting shows that you are active, and the types of violations that you understand. This report count is something where aspiring applicants can take time to work towards this goal. There is a time commitment involved in moderation and reporting demonstrates your commitment to the site. Reporting also assists in bringing concerns to the attention of the moderation team to help keep the site clean and safe and is a way of improving the parts of the site that you frequent.

11. Q: Does my account have to be a certain age to apply?
    A: Your account needs to be at least 6 months old. This way you should already have a grasp of how Gaia works and know your way around the site.

12. Q: I have previous warnings, will this count against me?
    A: If you have too many warnings you may not be able to apply. If you're unsure about how many warnings you have you can contact any moderator for more information.

Older warnings or bans will not automatically disqualify you from applying, but individual circumstances would be taken into consideration when reviewing your application. Users with severe or repeat violations may not be eligible to become a moderator.

13. Q: The application is denying me for warnings but I know that I have never been warned, what can I do?
    A: There is a known issue where thread moves are counted as warnings and can prevent some users from applying. Please contact a Gaia moderator who will be able to provide you some assistance with this matter. There is a complete list of moderators here.

14. Q: I'm a moderator on another website, will this help my application at all?
    A: Generally no. Previous experiences don't help with Gaia, as we use a pretty unique system for moderating. Previous moderating experience is not required.

15. Q: The page says it's not open! I thought you were taking applications!
    A: We are. Applications are on a rolling basis, so when a group of applications are processed and dealt with slots open up.

The actual error message you may get will be "Sorry, but we're not accepting applications at this time. Please try again later.".

Applications are open indefinitely, if you encounter this message, please try applying later.

16. Q: Can I apply for a moderator position on multiple accounts?
    A: No, a user may only apply for the position of Gaia Online moderator on one Gaia account. Filing multiple applications on various accounts will be considered abusing the Gaia Online moderator application system and will result in both a 3 day ban for all accounts involved in the system abuse, as well as a permanent disqualification for application to the moderating team.

17. Q: Are moderators part of Gaia's paid staff?
    A: No, moderators are volunteers. While they are eligible to receive some Gaia currency and items, they are not paid in real life at all. They are regular users just like you who have been given the ability to moderate the areas of Gaia.

18. Q: I'm having a technical problem with the application! I can't apply. What do I do?
    A: Generally if things aren't working (buttons missing) try a different browser, most people find that this will fix the issue. If the page isn't submitting and instead just reloads the same page, make sure you've filled out every single field in the application. Remember, not filling out everything will get your application declined.

If you run into more trouble, just ask here in the thread.

19. Q: I'm getting an error message, what do I do?
    A: It depends on the error message. If you are getting a message saying "Sorry, but you cannot apply to be a moderator at this time" it means you are not able to apply due to something on your account (previous warnings/bans etc). If you are unsure what might be causing it you can PM a moderator for the reason.

"We are currently accepting applications from users who are 18 years or older..." literally means what it says. You can't apply if you're not 18.

"Sorry, you must have filed at least 20 total reports, 10 of which MUST be in non-Flash areas, in the last 1 month in order to apply. You currently have x non-Flash reports and y total reports" means that you have not reported enough in the past month to access the application. You'll need to report more to apply.

If you get any other error message and need help, just post here in this thread.

20. Q: Can mods ban people? Can I ban someone I don't like?
    A: Different mods have different abilities, and you absolutely cannot get a person banned or in trouble just because you don't like them. Moderators are trusted with their powers, and they can be revoked (or worse) if they're abused.

If you feel that a specific moderator is targeting you unfairly for abuse or taking advantage of his or her powers, please send an email to usertalk@gaiaonline.com. Keep in mind that this is for serious, legitimate complaints after you have already PMed the moderator in question asking for a clearer explanation regarding an action.

21. Q: This application is asking for my password. Is it safe to enter it in this form?
    A: We ask you to enter your password into the moderator application form in order to verify that the true owner of the account is the one applying. In this case, the system is basically asking you to log in to your account again from inside the form. This is similar to needing to enter your password to sell items in the marketplace or send a trade. Gaia staff will never ask for your password through private messages or email!

22. Q: How long does it take for an application to go through?
    A: Sorry, there's no time frame that can be given for you to receive a response. Patience is an important quality with moderating, so think of waiting as a great way to practice being patient.

23. Q: What do we do if we are accepted?
    A: You will be contacted with more information about what to do. While you're waiting, you can continue to report violations and generally be an active, good user.

24. Q: If I am accepted and don't have time for moderation any more/do not find moderation is for me, am I able to leave?
    A: Moderation is a volunteer role and users are welcome to cease moderating or take a break. If accepted into training you would be given more information on how to handle this situation.

25. Q: Why can't we discuss what is in the application to anyone?
    A: When you apply you sign a non-disclosure agreement, part of which covers the application questions themselves. Breaking this agreement can get your account in trouble on Gaia.

We don't want someone to be able to study up on the questions before applying, as that doesn't indicate anything to us about their potential to be a good moderator.

This agreement also means you cannot reveal private Gaia information (such as moderating tools) if you make it to a full Moderator.

26. Q: My application was rejected. When can I re-apply?
    A: You can re-apply 3 months and 1 day after you were last rejected. Should you be rejected, you will be provided feedback on the reason for this rejection, be sure to work on any areas of concern should you wish to re-apply. If you have questions about a rejection, feel free to contact any member of the Moderation Team for assistance.

27. Q: Great! I've read the first 3 posts and the last page of this thread, and also read the original announcement, and have one question left. Where is the application link?
    A: You can apply over here.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces