Midground Cutting in post 5
if you want the thread bumped so you can post: PM me

post 1: intro
post 2: items: foreground cutting
post 3: items: some that can be affected by Rare Class cutting
post 4: examples: avatars with/without foreground cutting
post 5: items+examples: midground cutting

User ImageUser Image
While there's a handful of items that do some light foreground stripping [see post 2 for those] I'm here in particular to discuss some maximum foreground cutting items [also listed in post 2].

To help illustrate the effect of foreground cutting are these two scenics. They're actually the same avatar with the right one having 1 more item equipped. While this example was designed to show how extreme the changes from forground stripping can be, it's useful for all sorts of avies.

User ImageUser ImageHighlights of what I've found is busting open background cutters or reducing lighting/fog effects. Of course there are downsides such as removing ALL lighting/fog effects, eating word bubbles, and also tricky to layer around as the only items I know with maximum foreground cutting are not background items, but clothing.

Next post is items I know of with varying levels of foreground snipping, or can skip to post 3 to see some examples of what sort of cool tricks these can do.

Distinct Dabbler

54,500 Points
  • Night Owl 100
  • Pieversity 200
  • Converting 1 item 100
Foreground Cutting Items:

Items are sorted by their cutting properties in frontview, backviews may act differently. Find one I don't have listed? I'd love to hear about it!

Light Class
Medium Class
Non-Background Cutters with Light + Medium cutting:
User ImageAstra: Jolly Sparkle Stickers // Midground Cutting [post 5] renders this invisible while still providing foreground cutting

Background Cutters with Light + Medium cutting: Some of these may combine with full Midground Cutting [post 5] to render the cutter invisible while still providing foreground cutting
User ImageAlitura Figura
User ImageAngelic Illumination
User ImageBird-brained Friends
User ImageBright Rainbow
User ImageBubbly Beachcomber
User ImageCaptive Dream
User ImageCarilou / Wintry View
User ImageCirrus Business
User ImageCommitted Kohai
User ImageDevil Slayer
User ImageEastern Forest
User ImageEx Machina
User ImageFallout Vulture
User ImageFleur de Reve
User ImageGloom Panda
User ImageGood Luck Artist-kun
User ImageGraceful Repose
User ImageInto the Woods
User ImageKit-Tea Cafe
User ImageMalfunctioning Lurker
User ImageMap the Stars
User ImageMaterra
User ImageMy Little List
User ImageNew Resistance Flag / Zurg Legion Flag
User ImagePersecuted Halfbreed Alyssia
User ImagePeyo's Duck March
User ImageReply Hazy
User ImageRestful Reverie
User ImageSDPlus Gaian EC and Airman Co
User ImageSDPlus Gaian Vintage vodka_vixen
User ImageSleeping Willow - unique: this one can cut some more layers than the other cutters ex: Desperate Dreamer/Forgotten Fable
User ImageSpellbound Thorn
User ImageStylish Pageturner
User ImageValentines 2k19 Heart Background
User ImageWonderland Carousel

Background Cutters with Medium cutting but does not cut some Light foreground layers: Some of these may combine with full Midground Cutting [post 5] to render the cutter invisible while still providing foreground cutting
User ImageApocalypse Then
User ImageAt Everyone
User ImageUser ImageCome And Sea
User ImageDistant Memory
User ImageExSTARterrestrial Star
User ImageNymphicus
User ImageSchrödinger's Cat (Schrodinger's Cat)
User ImageSilent Snow
User ImageSingles TV Night
User ImageSubstitute Soul
User ImageWe Thirst
User ImageArt Nouveau Cyclamen
User ImageArt Nouveau Nasturtium

Max Class
User ImageVerhakuma
User ImageReikalusi

Background Cutters with Max cutting: can combine with full Midground Cutting [post 5] to render the cutter invisible while still providing foreground cutting
User ImageMaritime Odyssey

More about the Max Cutting Dresses [what started my foray into foreground cutters and initially the primary content of this guidelet]:
Layering: They are on a relatively high layer and will go over many shirts which can be tricky. The primary method I've found for hiding these dresses is the Hana's Letter's loose shirt cropper. There are many items out there that can layer over and some will even cut the dress to fit under them without need of the Hana cutter [ tho some will cut only parts of the dress]. Collar cutters work [such as Stoic Mage] to change the neckline.

Backgrounds: Multiple layer backgrounds can have their foreground removed by the dresses which can lead to discovering new uses for backgrounds you might have passed over before. Examples: Talk Less Do Myrrh, removes the table and draped plants. Penultimate Angel removes the tank.

Background Cutters: They can be effective at transforming cutters that have foreground aspects. Examples: Picture Perfect Memories, will remove the cutter functionality and make a simple backdrop. Beat the Heat, removes the label on the bottle, but it still functions as a background cutter. [ note: some cutters like this will work with Lite such as Hard Reset, however it only works in one facing..and not the one that saves to favorites >_>; ]

Scenics: The dresses+bow also function while using Ghosting Behind + bewere for invisibility. Technically it works with I Am poses, but the Ghosting Behind is one of the most flexible I Am poses for scenics. It can help create some some cool layering, but many scenics benefit from the extra depth foreground elements provide.

Ultra Class
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageSky Child

Sky Child Bow Hiding/Breaking Tricks:
User ImageSky Child + User ImageSweetheart Schoolboy / Endearing Schoolboy can use Princess Less Than Three misplaced clips to often repair hair or User ImageScottish Seaside pose can be modified with Agape, Sketchbook, and PrincessClips
User ImageSky Child + User ImageBLEEP IT / User ImageDeerly Beloved + see spoiler - scenic combo
Known Headmods that can work for the Invisibility + Foreground Cutting combo:
User ImageReikalusi
User ImageEmerald Dream [+agape scissors or sketchbook pins]
User Image The Cardiologist [+agape scissors and sketchbook pins]
User Image Sylvan Dusk [+agape scissors and sketchbook pins]

As mentioned above Sky Child bow + BLEEP/Deerly Beloved can work for foreground cutting but also need to use another headmod that has both the ability to hide BLEEP/Deerly and and is compatible with Sky Child. Then the rest of the body can be hidden via other invisibility tricks [such as the ones in the references below] or an Invisibility Cloak.

ref 1: GentleRalts foreground + Planet X + Rare type foreground cutting invisibility / ref 2: luvedragon's Marejesty Invisibility

Rare Class - unusual foreground cuts, can be paired with prior foreground cutting techniques, or foreground-cutting background cutters to hide the Rare-cutter. Some Known Rare Cuts are listed in the next post.
User ImageUser ImageJack's Autohack - unique: this one can cut some more layers than the other rare cutters
User ImageThe Animator - this one can also be hidden fully in backview with foreground cutting
User ImageHardhearted
User ImageWinter's Rose
User ImageUser ImagePNT-BKT
User ImagePocket Dragon
User ImageUltra Satan
User ImageNot My Cake! - was changed

Paw:
Current Test items // Light: Floral Stroll background / Medium: Puppy Love background simulator / Max: Stray Moon moon rays overlay / Ultra: Glamorous Getaway me time / Paw: [Animal] Tales of Miseria Backdrop (field), [Animal] Handheld

Distinct Dabbler

54,500 Points
  • Night Owl 100
  • Pieversity 200
  • Converting 1 item 100
Recorded Rare Cuts:
this post highlights some unusual cuts by the Rare-Class. These tend to be closer to the avatar and less obvious as a foreground item. Many interactions may get ignored [ex: many cape/capelets when arm is raised in {x.c} have a sleeve that gets cut] or [does same cut in frontview as agape/sketchbook]
Will add "whenever and whatever I feel like adding".

General Rare Cuts:
houjun-san hidden pokekaiju dark unknown - tail behind avatar
404 Error legs - legs
Star Seer / Sightless Seer - armmod
Right in the Feels - face
Aria Dannata - playwright's madness gloves {x,c}
Knife Science - labcoat {a,a}
Come Closer - tail
Presenting Penguins - first pose
Recycle Buddies - recycle bins
Poppy's Guiding Light - armmod
Frog Obsession - bg frogs
Backalley Mage - eyes
Never Enough Swords - first pose
Your Angel - veil [retains avatar containment cutting]
This Universe - halo/veil [retains avatar containment cutting]
Fatal Physalia - hat
Celestial Moon - ripples
A Father's Pride - legmod [this is a bewere cut]
Demonic Pitchfork / Staff of the Angels - {x,b} position
Sun Staff - back mounted sunburst
Jack Frost - pose 1 scarf
Jack's Nightmare - scarf
Lichdom Calling - head [removes foreground copy of beak]
Delicate Death - head [removes foreground copy of horns]
bunch of wings that curve around to the front. Ex: Penultimate Angel, Shadow Virus,
Exorciblings - horns/earrings
Niwamori - bow
Midday Mayhem - armmod
SDPlus Gaian Breaking bad - {x,c}
Just Me - glitch cutter
Mini UFO - abduction [the beam foreground is cut by many armmods as well?]
Briar Sonnet - book
Valhalla's Armor - tasset
Foxy Fold - tails
Bless This Mess - horns
Infinite Nightmare - pipe
Magus of the Beast - headmod [technically this is 100% frontview invisibility, but useful as a headless method]
Quest Sequel - horns [also dragon fire and 100% cut on the star]
Sleepy Season - horns
Maker of Pies - first pose pies [the back hand will retain its item]
Keiko's Cake - magical keiko's strawberry scarf hidden pose {b,x}
Lost Mercenary - bike
Merry Widow - hat
Determined Slayer - dragon
Ascended Glimmering Gaze
Ascended Glimmering Glance
lurks beneath - bg
Rat of Yuera - fur shawl
Merciless Jaeger - arms
Kindred Grim the Goat - horns
The 0men
Dionaesil - birth of venus flytrap
Adamant Vault - skin
Roaming Rhapsody - armmod
Owl Ritualist - blanket cowl
Letinulera - antlers
I am Leorosa - arms
I am Suffering - censor
Respectfully Looking - arms (only removes smoke, Bewere cutters remove more)
Shroud of Rime - hood
SPF 5000 - hat (only removes front veil, Niwamori cutter removes all)

Hair Rare Cuts: Listing both cuts unique to Rare and cuts that are variants of hair cutter cuts [ignoring when identical to cutter cuts]
Urban Decay
Wise Wolf's Mane
Utopian Reverie
Demon Prince Cut
Fairytale Locks
Little Prose
Unbearably Deceptive [buns]
Cotton Mariposa
Flower Maiden's Locks
Study Snacks
Cryo Bout It

Autohack Only Cuts: While all the Rare-class may each cut some different foreground layers, Autohack has some unique domain
Ungaikyou Haunting - first pose
The Jabberwock Reawakened - cape
Cube C - coat/armmod
Emerald Dream - L'Enfant Terrible cape
Snide Jockey - half cape
Knight of Fine Dining - armmod {b,b}
Amethyst Spunk - shoulders
Ivory Baronet - pose 1
Hanokami - fur hat
Apokalypsis - cape
Put A Ring On It - antenna
Father Superior - coat
Lidlenovo - pauldron
Blind Oracle - tuareg wrap
Mascherato - pose 1+2
Silence the World - cape {x,a} arm position
Spooky Imp Hoodie
Dander - hooded capelet
Dander - tornado dust
Seracila Pendant - nemean [yellow capelet]
Jinxi's Charm - commencement capelet [straw capelet]
Diamonds and Ice - bangs
Duke of Solair - pose 1
Hellenistic Imperialism - pose 1

100% Cuts: all of the pose becomes invisible in frontview
Liam's New Swag
True Mascot
Planet X - alien princess' body
Infinite Nightmare - halo
Presenting Pandas - first pose + ramen
Unblemished Enforcer - blood
Grimm's Anatomy - skull + cloak + hoodie
Bear Batter - horns
My Dearly Damned - Filaree
Traditionally Splendid - Bride
Rainbow/Rustic/Theatrical Bouquet - bouquet
Star Diva crown + veil
Nom ____ - food in mouth series from Buttercup Cafe
Princess of Lalune - headpiece
[Au]some Alchemist - hat
Warning Signs - headphones
Keppi the Kappa - cucumber rain
Enchantelure - pose 1
Nemesisters - horns
Progenitor Leader - capelet

latest additions 9/8/22

Distinct Dabbler

54,500 Points
  • Night Owl 100
  • Pieversity 200
  • Converting 1 item 100
Some Examples:
Outside: Before // Inside: After
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image
Left: To the Heart of the Meadow // Heart of the Meadow
Combo: Verhakuma/Reikalusi [+Ghosting Behind+Bewere]

Right: Wheeler
Combo: Bosozoku the Bunny + Verhakuma/Reikalusi [+Hana's Letters]

Left: Crucible of Creation
Combo: Beat the Heat + Sin of Envy + Verhakuma/Reikalusi [+Ghosting Behind+Bewere]

Right: Mirror Monster
Combo: Ungaikyou Haunting [the horns are part of this pose] + Verhakuma [+Bearly Cold]

Left: ~ in the garden ~
Combo: SDPlus Gaian Vintage vodka_vixen + Verhakuma

Right: Matsur-eats
Primary Combo: Case of Pietro [mob] + Shadow Mistress

Left: Pop Poster
Combo: Know Your Fortune + Sky Child bow

these can all be found scattered in my favorites gallery

Distinct Dabbler

54,500 Points
  • Night Owl 100
  • Pieversity 200
  • Converting 1 item 100
Midground Cutting Items:

Still learning about these, but wanted to share new tricks. Midground [right behind the avatar] is often used by background objects and background cutter frames, have discovered a handful of items that affect that space. While Midground full cutting at first seems to be limited in use, they actually offer a way to subtly add Medium level Foreground cutting; as the only Medium level cutting items [that I currently know of] are background cutters. Good Luck Artist-kun and Angelic Illumination provide medium level foreground cutting, and Midground cutting can make them a practically invisible addition. Big thanks to Nanzzy-chan for helping me discover more midground cutters
User ImageHalf cuts:
vertical split of midground, split location varies between wings. Does not break background cutter shapes. Reaches more layers than Full midground cutters [ex: A Small Light]
note: while rare foreground cutting can affect the wings of some wing cutters, it will negate their midground cutting effect.
User ImagePenultimate Angel this wing can be combined with Ghosting Behind invisibility
User ImageHermes of the New Moon
User ImageNemesisters this wing can be affected by Hana's Springtime Letters to have much less showing
User ImageNemesisters this wing can be combined with Ghosting Behind invisibility
examples:
User Image User Image User Image User Image
1. Angelic Illumination background / 2. Sweet Pea background / 3. Boy Toy background cutter / 4. Pure Energy halo

User ImageUser ImageFull cuts:
removes midground, usually removes cutter shape of background cutters it affects. works with Ghosting Behind invisibility.
note: passive arms means you can manually reposition the arms to get more poses from it
User ImageReve Rouille < pose located near the end
User ImageUser ImageBiancamella < pose located in the middle
User ImageUndersea Diver < passive arms
User ImageQuick Witted Sidekick < passive arms
User ImageMy Dearly Damned < passive arms
User ImageRoseus' Secret < passive arms
User ImageFilaree's Amen < passive arms
User ImageFabric Family Values
User ImageHeart of Clovers
User ImageManjuu UFO Catcher
User ImagePrecise Inspector
User ImageStarlight Saint
User ImageFateful Evening
User ImageFeline Thief
removed: Tree Sylph [these got amended]
User ImageRoyaltea
User ImageThe Bibliothecary
User ImageTechnique of Songxi
User ImageSwift Eliminator
User ImageUser ImageStrategic Escapist
User ImageTaru's Mischief

examples:
User Image User Image
1. Angelic Illumination background / 2. Sweet Pea background

latest additions: 7/31/23

Distinct Dabbler

54,500 Points
  • Night Owl 100
  • Pieversity 200
  • Converting 1 item 100
and now to kick open the discussion section:

I've been wanting to make a post about this for a while, but it's been slow to get all my ducks in a row. This really was all about the Max cutters, but seemed like a good place to collect the Lite cutters for easy reference. Hopefully people find the max cutters as interesting as I do and make some cool stuff!! Although, unfortunately it's not super available either of the two items in question >_>;

also:
frog-kun
Hiya! You had a question the other day about foreground cutter items, well hopefully this can help answer it.

Reigen Arataka's Husband

Friendly Guildsman

Aerdian
and now to kick open the discussion section:

I've been wanting to make a post about this for a while, but it's been slow to get all my ducks in a row. This really was all about the Max cutters, but seemed like a good place to collect the Lite cutters for easy reference. Hopefully people find the max cutters as interesting as I do and make some cool stuff!! Although, unfortunately it's not super available either of the two items in question >_>;

also:
frog-kun
Hiya! You had a question the other day about foreground cutter items, well hopefully this can help answer it.

Sorry for responding so late!

I appreciate this guide, thanks for quoting me in it! I’ll be bookmarking it for reference.

Abomination

ahhh! i've been wondering about the case of pietro mob pose, i'm glad there's a way to actually remove the people in front. this is very helpful, thank you!

Garbage Fairy

25,900 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Super Fan 250
  • Magical Girl 50
thank you for this

Enduring Hunter

Bookmarked for future reference.

Seconding the mob pose. I've alwats wanted to use it, but hated the full coverage.

Supreme Demigod

Awesome! Do you know what item would remove the curtains on Seductive Night, but not leaving something huge in the background?

Distinct Dabbler

54,500 Points
  • Night Owl 100
  • Pieversity 200
  • Converting 1 item 100
ChaosQueen
Awesome! Do you know what item would remove the curtains on Seductive Night, but not leaving something huge in the background?
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean by not leaving something huge in the background. If you remove the curtains [forground] using a medium or higher cutter the full background will be visible, which does leave a large un-detailed area since they did not draw anything behind the curtain covered area. If the question is: can just the bed be isolated from the Seductive Nights background the answer is: I don't know of a way to do that. Hopefully this helps answer your question.

Supreme Demigod

Aerdian
ChaosQueen
I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean by not leaving something huge in the background. If you remove the curtains [forground] using a medium or higher cutter the full background will be visible, which does leave a large un-detailed area since they did not draw anything behind the curtain covered area. If the question is: can just the bed be isolated from the Seductive Nights background the answer is: I don't know of a way to do that. Hopefully this helps answer your question.

I found my answer. Sorry >_<
Using Distant Memoery Keyhole cutter, leaves a keyhole that doesn't take up all of the space or over lap on the avi and removes the curtains.

He Ate My Shorts's Husbando

Adventuring Protagonist

These are really helpful. I'll be checking on these from time to time!

aemperatrix's Sweetheart

Beloved Fairy

49,500 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Oh wow... you've put a lot of effort into trying out backgrounds and foregrounds and different items to manipulate them. How on earth did you make To the/Heart of the Meadow??? That scenic is just stunning!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff