Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Girl

Hi guys, just want to draw attention to that Gaia, or at least its mods have ignored reports of literal nazis on GaiaOnline?
I would like to get a staff or mod response on this because if it is not against TOS and not reportable to have nazi symbols on your profile or in your posts I will certainly not be spending any money on this site again and will likely leave, and I know others who won't support Gaia as well.

Where this comes from: I reported a profile several weeks ago that had swasticas and other literal nazi symbols and it's still visible to the public.
The user and other users who supported them are also still active. Why?

This thread isn't doing anything productive so I'm closing it. If you'd like to discuss, if you are a mod or member of staff, please feel free to message me.
I still disagree vehemently that nazism should be given an equal platform to discourse, particularly on a PG-13 website. And I strongly strongly disagree with mods not removing them and their messages of hatred and promotion of genocide- just because someone uses a symbol that means "kill all ____" rather than using the words doesn't mean they are still not implying it. (This directly constitutes either flaming or trolling which is a direct TOS violation!)

I still wholeheartedly support Gaia ridding itself of nazi sympathisizers- this is not a free speech issue because GaiaOnline is a private company. It has the power to remove members that do not go along with its message and nazism should not have a platform. It is currently choosing not to and I'm deeply disappointed- as a heavy direct cash purchaser and a user for 12 years.

Ruthless Wench

icey bb
Hi guys, just want to draw attention to that Gaia, or at least its mods have ignored reports of literal nazis on GaiaOnline?
I would like to get a staff or mod response on this because if it is not against TOS and not reportable to have nazi symbols on your profile or in your posts I will certainly not be spending any money on this site again and will likely leave, and I know others who won't support Gaia as well.

Where this comes from: I reported a profile several weeks ago that had swasticas and other literal nazi symbols and it's still visible to the public.

They are short-handed.

Star-Crossed Nebula

icey bb

Unfortunately mods are very short handed right now. It takes a lot time to get through all reports being made by users, and mods don't have that much time to be able to get to every report due to having real life things happening in their own lives.

So I know you probably don't like hearing this, but please try to remain patient with the mods. If you feel that's it has been to long for a mod to respond (I say longer than a month but everyone is different), then report the thread again and PM the mod with the number that you get after you send the report, this way a mod can get to it faster.

Divine Cleric

27,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
First time seeing them around? Could've sworn the guild had been around for some years. Folks thought it tasteless but supposedly they weren't doing anything against TOS there and otherwise were alright folks on the forums.

But nowadays if someone says 'literal nazi', It's thrown around to mean 'this person likes things or agrees with things I don't like so therefore are literal nazis'. If it's a Pepe or Donald Trump meme then it's not a Nazi thing unless it's specific Nazi symbols IN it.

This isn't going to destroy the site if something isn't done in a few weeks or something. Take a break if you need to but report and move on. Check on on the ticket filed if need be, but let's not start one of those drama fear parades on this site.

Interesting Girl

Dota-chan
First time seeing them around? Could've sworn the guild had been around for some years. Folks thought it tasteless but supposedly they weren't doing anything against TOS there and otherwise were alright folks on the forums.

But nowadays if someone says 'literal nazi', It's thrown around to mean 'this person likes things or agrees with things I don't like so therefore are literal nazis'. If it's a Pepe or Donald Trump meme then it's not a Nazi thing unless it's specific Nazi symbols IN it.

This isn't going to destroy the site if something isn't done in a few weeks or something. Take a break if you need to but report and move on. Check on on the ticket filed if need be, but let's not start one of those drama fear parades on this site.

Actually it IS a literal nazi with swasticas and consistently supporting their ideal Olof you. Sorry but I don't give a s**t about keeping the peace and not starting a "drama fear parade" when nazis go unchecked.

Divine Cleric

27,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
icey bb
Dota-chan

Actually it IS a literal nazi with swasticas and consistently supporting their ideal Olof you. Sorry but I don't give a s**t about keeping the peace and not starting a "drama fear parade" when nazis go unchecked.

...alright. Fearmonger. You want to talk s**t and not be on level with other posters and want to start fights and create bigger divides in your own way.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened here sooner. If you aren't going to treat others as equals on forums and know where your off switch it when it needs to be used, there's no point in discussions with someone that behaves that way.

:/

Moonlight Sweetheart

52,925 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Coloring Champion 0
  • Snowball Sharpshooter 50
We dont tolerate intolerance around here!

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The team is super understaffed and recent weather events have affected the team. Please just be patient for when someone can review the reports.

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
Yeah, I have seen a bunch of users with swastikas (and no, not the Buddhist ones) in combination with SS symbols, Hitler quotes, nazi avatars, etc.

As a German, it's quite disturbing to me that this kind of images are apparently allowed. I couldn't find anything in the ToS that actually bans people from using them.

Divine Cleric

27,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
Ven Loki
Yeah, I have seen a bunch of users with swastikas (and no, not the Buddhist ones) in combination with SS symbols, Hitler quotes, nazi avatars, etc.

As a German, it's quite disturbing to me that this kind of images are apparently allowed. I couldn't find anything in the ToS that actually bans people from using them.

Oh cripes. That s**t can actually get those in Germany in trouble if anyone sees that, right? They have some really strict rules about certain things and a lot of that that's been see was having to do with the Holocaust, Hitler, Nazi Youth, and such.

Or are you saying this being German but living outside of Germany?

R1NDO's Buddy

40,250 Points
  • Rightful King 500
  • Superior Hero 500
Dota-chan
Ven Loki

Oh cripes. That s**t can actually get those in Germany in trouble if anyone sees that, right? They have some really strict rules about certain things and a lot of that that's been see was having to do with the Holocaust, Hitler, Nazi Youth, and such.

Yeah displaying certain nazi images can actually land you in jail for a couple of years in extreme cases. But I'm aware that laws in the USA are different from German laws so it may not be a big deal to the Gaia mods and they can probably only act against those people once they start posting explicit hate speech.

I'm German but no, there's no punishment for just LOOKING AT those symbols as far as I know. So browsing Gaia and even talking to nazi-trolls displaying swastikas cannot get me in trouble... I think. emotion_facepalm

It's just... in bad taste. Very bad taste. But since it's not illegal in the USA (I assume), I doubt Gaia would do anything against it.

Divine Cleric

27,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
Ven Loki
Dota-chan
Ven Loki

Yeah displaying certain nazi images can actually land you in jail for a couple of years in extreme cases. But I'm aware that laws in the USA are different from German laws so it may not be a big deal to the Gaia mods and they can probably only act against those people once they start posting explicit hate speech.

I'm German but no, there's no punishment for just LOOKING AT those symbols as far as I know. So browsing Gaia and even talking to nazi-trolls displaying swastikas cannot get me in trouble... I think. emotion_facepalm

It's just... in bad taste. Very bad taste. But since it's not illegal in the USA (I assume), I doubt Gaia would do anything against it.

The rules for this site have been very relaxed with these kinds of things until recent years but even that was more towards people making sexual themed avatars with the items they get ( but even that doesn't make sense but that's a whole other can of worms ).

I don't know rules for sites so much as the games industry where certain games were outright banned or many things changed or flat out removed when in certain countries.

That does bring something interesting to think about. Maybe keep that written up and ready for pre-ATS. Post the concerns there since they were going to try to have it again soon and it's the only one up right now.

In the US, there's such thing as freedom of speech but folks don't always remember that freedom of speech doesn't mean they're free of consequences or people speaking out against what they're doing. There's more to it in legal and political but I'm not one to know those well enough to discuss it properly. So long as nobody is physically hurt over something done or in what you're doing, it's treated as free speech.

Enduring Gaian

Ven Loki

This is a common misconception held even by US Americans. Legally, freedom of speech is a protection between citizens and the government. It is not legally protected between citizens and non-governmental bodies. Many non-governmental entities, especially US Universities, aspire to it in practice it in principle, but this is chosen practice and not obligatory.

So, yes, Gaia does have the power to censor whatever it chooses, and can remove hateful Nazi symbolism if it wants. I'm fairly confident they'll take care of it when they finally get to it. As others have said, they are severely understaffed. sad

Widow

Dedicated Regular

34,115 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Megathread 100
Be patient with the Mods, just report it/pm a online one for severe cases, but the storms and s**t are hitting them pretty bad.

Divine Cleric

27,100 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Explorer 100
Baada
Ven Loki

This is a common misconception held even by US Americans. Legally, freedom of speech is a protection between citizens and the government. It is not legally protected between citizens and non-governmental bodies. Many non-governmental entities, especially US Universities, aspire to it in practice it in principle, but this is chosen practice and not obligatory.

So, yes, Gaia does have the power to censor whatever it chooses, and can remove hateful Nazi symbolism if it wants. I'm fairly confident they'll take care of it when they finally get to it. As others have said, they are severely understaffed. sad

Thank you for clearing this up. For the life of me, I couldn't remember who or what all allowed or enforced what.

And now I'm reminded of Youtube and Twitter doing things they think is right for their sites by removing and censoring people and posts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff