Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which 'solution' do you like best?

[1] Remove the system completely. Let popularity be by word of mouth instead. 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 12 ]
[2] Have an option for thread starters to enable the voting system. 0.25 25.0% [ 27 ]
[3] Make voting invisible to gaians until 100+ votes are earned. 0.018518518518519 1.9% [ 2 ]
[4] Make the voting completely invisible; as it used to be. 0.027777777777778 2.8% [ 3 ]
[5] Remove the option to </3, allow people to only vote up. 0.34259259259259 34.3% [ 37 ]
[6] Make it so threads cannot be voted below 0. 0.037037037037037 3.7% [ 4 ]
[7] Disable voting in specific forums (like Life Issues). 0.11111111111111 11.1% [ 12 ]
Other. (Please post your ideas in this thread!) 0.10185185185185 10.2% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 108 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 47 48 49 > >>

The voting system has now been amended so that you can disable the voting. If you thought that the </3 button should have been taken out, or the voting system should be removed all together, just keep opting out of voting on your threads. Boycott the system, if you like, however this thread is now closed (:

-----------------------Navigation-----------------------

• Please Note | How to Sign
                • About the Voting System | Our Argument | To People who Disagree
                • Voting Gone Wrong
                • True Stories & Quotes
                • Banners
                • Black List
                • Signatures
                • Affiliations

Signatures: 1111

I would like to draw your attention to this proposal in the Spring Cleaning forum: here.

This asks that the dislike or '</3' button be taken away from Gaia. Please give a cookie to this thread if you like or voted option 5 in the poll.

EDIT: It is possible to create a link which, when clicked, will like or dislike a thread. This could be easily exploited and people have done this in the past.

EDIT 2:
                  biglanky14
                  -A number of you have mentioned concerns around the voting system on the forums - specifically, how you can downvote a thread, and whether that's being used correctly or as a trolling mechanism. Darknrgy explained some of the background of the system in last week's ATA (if you want to go through his post history), but in a nutshell, we've long felt that only having an upvote option doesn't help either because then threads can quickly become a popularity contest rather than being actually of high quality, which doesn't make the system any more useful than the current version.

However, we are working on a better way to rank content on the site so that good stuff is easier to find, which would be applicable in a bunch of different areas, including as a potential improvement to the voting system. I don't really have any details to share, but know that we are doing some exploration of improvements

Thanks to hello toki

EDIT 3:
                  Nyowpotopop
                  ...I'd like to address is if you guys have any plans to change the <3</3 system. It's becoming a common problem for trolls to gather mule accounts and friends to mass-downvote topics...

biglanky14
                  For the second part, we are looking into a couple of options. Not sure what we'll land on, but it's more likely we'll use some sort of ranking system so that it still factors Up and Down votes in so that good content is easy to find, but isn't as "trollable" as the current setup.

Source: here. Thanks for letting us know Nyowpotopop

User Image
                  Poll from the beginning of this thread to 08 July 2012.

-----------------------Please Note-----------------------

Everyone is free and able to state their opinions politely. However taking it too far (e.g. flaming) is a violation of the petitions ToS and counts as harassment. This is a reportable offense and you will be reported.

We do not harass your threads; so do not harass ours.

This thread has been made three times in the past. All owners have given it up and I have received consent from the previous owner to take on this petition.

New If you wish to debate this issue (i.e. counter the petition) or discuss the pros and cons (for or against the ideas) with me then please quote me and add the phrase 'Please respond' to the end of your post. Thank you.

-----------------------How To Sign-----------------------

If you agree with this petition please include the following in your post: "I sign". Saying that you 'support' this thread does not count as a signature.

-----------------------About the Voting System-----------------------

It was created to help show 'popular' or 'good' threads. There is one issue with that: not everyone votes based on the thread itself. In the discussion forum this is fine - you won't always agree with their point of view and you can display that. That is what it's for.

Many threads are being ignored or even ruined by senseless / trolling down voting in all areas of Gaia.

Update: If nothing else, I'm sure we can all agree on the fact that the calculated score is unsatisfactory. To have the number of </3 subtracted from the <3 to make a score seems rather far from a common sense approach of showing the number of those who <3 the thread out of the number in total who voted.

-----------------------The Argument-----------------------

Many users have raised concerns that the (now not so) new voting system is being used for trolling and immature Gaians. Gaian's are using this system to down vote ('</3') certain threads for no good reason. Sometimes they are simple rejected from a roleplay, dislike the style of art in a freebie thread and other such silly things that is not worth down voting someone for. Many people consider their threads to be 'ruined' when they have a -20 for doing nothing wrong at all.

We want this voting system altered so it stops affecting the usefulness of threads. Many art shops and roleplays are suffering due to people voting them down unreasonable. Similarly, many quests and charities have negative votes for no reason.

So far there have been six suggestions to fix this problem.

[1] Remove the system completely. Let popularity be by word of mouth instead.
                  [2] Have an option for thread starters to enable the voting system.
                  [3] Make the result of voting invisible to gaians until 100+ votes are earned.
                  [4] Make the voting completely invisible; as it used to be.
                  [5] Remove the option to </3, allow people to only vote up.
                  [6] Make it so threads cannot be voted below 0.
                  [7] New Disable voting in specific forums (like Life Issues).

Some people have suggested an option were people have to write a comment for why they voted a thread down. In truth if people are trolling or simply bashing the thread, they will not take time to explain it as they will have little reason. Nothing would stop them from leaving comments such as 'I just felt like' or 'because your thread is stupid' etc. Neither will attaching names to the comments. Gaia is already struggling to deal with the number of reports they get daily - they will not have time to deal with hundreds of reports from people not satisfied with the reason why they were down voted.

Update: Some people are now buying and selling <3s and </3s in the Service forums.

Update: It seems a number of gaians even feel they are being targeted by people holding a grudge or simply being immature. Their thread - or threads - are then '</3' via mules and/or friends accounts.

-----------------------To Those Who Disagree-----------------------

You are free to disagree with this petition. Please keep all comments within the ToS and be civil. Do not PM people hateful messages simply because they have disagreed with you about this issue. Breaking Gaia ToS will get you reported.

tl;dr - We aren't here to argue. Post your dislike politely and move on please. This thread is for people who support the idea, not for people who don't.

-----------------------Voting Gone Wrong In-----------------------

These are just some reasons how people are abusing the voting system.
                  Some people are put off of using a thread or posting in it if they have a very negative rating. This is harming some people's threads a lot. Some people even feel the need to start a new thread simply to escape the unreasonable amount of negative votes they've gotten.

Roleplay Threads should not be down voted for:

• Asking for a certain sexuality within the roleplay
                    • Demanding a certain literacy level.
                    • Not having / Offering a plot that you want to do.
                    • Wanting a certain pairing (1x1) that you personally don't like.

Art Threads should not be down voted for:

• Not being the style of art you like. Not everyone likes the same thing.
                    • The artist not accepting your offer.
                    • The artist removing you from the thread for not following the rules.
                    • Because you are trying to eliminate / ruin the competition.
                    • Before they have even finished setting up their thread.

Any threads for talking should not be down voted for:

• People not talking about what you want to talk about. Just find somewhere else.

Exchange Threads should not be down voted for:

• Refusing your offer.

Charities should not be down voted for:

• If a charity didn't give you an item that you wanted.
                    • If you didn't qualify to receive from that charity.
                    • If you failed to follow the rules and so were ignored.

Quests should not be down voted for:

• Any reason really, unless the quest is begging. No one is forcing you to donate to people questing.

And if you have a story about how it ruined your thread or someone's thread you know, post your story with your signature and I'll add it to the post below.

-----------------------True Story & Quotes-----------------------

Quote:
                  I am all in favor of voting up a thread to show that more and more people like it. It's a brilliant idea! I however think it's pretty stupid that a negative vote does just that; count against the over all. If someone doesn't like a thread, they shouldn't be voting for it at all, in any way shape or form. They should just move on with their lives, and leave the thread be. If they really want to troll that badly, they can do it in person, and get warned/ban for it like any other way that it's done. This just lets these people do it from the shadows. Yes, trolling is still going to happen, but this negative voting thing only makes it so much easier. Trolls don't have to worry about their things being lost due to a ban seeing how no one knows who votes to begin with.

Quote:
                  the voting system won't stop me from making threads, but it does sting a little whenever you see a </3

Quote:
                  Definitely agree with the removal of the </3 button.

Since I can't see them removing the <3 counter, they should at least follow in the footsteps the social networks. Facebook, Google+ and the like only have the option to vote up if people like something, which takes away the ability to troll the "like" system.

Quote:
                  I was going to start an art shop, just reserving my posts and I get voted down for no reason. All that was there was posts that said reserved.

Quote:
                  My sign shop has suffered so much from sensless downvoting. There are more downvotes than customers, and all my custoomers so far have told me that they are happy with my service.
                  I sign.
                  Also, I'd like to point out that threads should not be downvoted for layout. Not all of us can do coding very well, and to hire a service to code can be very expensive.

Quote:
                  I run a joint art shop with Duodecillion and lately I've been receiving a huge flood of downvotes for no reason whatsoever. All my customers have enjoyed the art I've done for them, and I don't like the idea that my art shop should have so many negative votes just because people like to troll other's pages. I don't want people to see that I don't have a very good vote score and decide not to hire me sad I think disabling the thread votes would be really nice.

I, Pineananas, sign this petition.

Quote:
                  My biggest problem with the voting system was with my graphics shops. I would get voted down by competition shops. I would like where only costumers could vote, based on service.

Quote:
                  I Sign. I was creating a quest thread but I wasn't finish setting it up. And I was already voted down to -19.

Quote:
                  I think the system needs to be removed entirely, it's just another tool for trolls.
                  In addition to your rp section of why not to downvote you should add for someone liking a specific series or pairing. I've been downvoted a lot in the past because i like Hetalia or a rare/uncommon pairing in anime.

Quote:
                  I hate the negativity that comes out of the "</3", and I think the results of it are similar to why facebook has been so reluctant to make a "dislike" button for statuses.

It's allowing people to be cruel even more anonymously than before. :c

Quote:
                  I think the art shop is where it's the worst, whenever I make a thread all I get in </3 because people want to ruin my store. I got -1 after 25 votes, people kept downrating iit and I think it was mainly because of one person I didn't want to draw I declined and kept harassing me probably got his friends and mules to downrate it. It's a rude option and it can hurt feelings. This is why Facebook doesn't have a dislike button, it's not cool.

Quote:
                  Truthfully, I dislike how some gaians on here can be so immature. Most of the exchange threads I post, always gets more negative votes then positive, simply because I'm not selling the item they desire. The threads I post are there because I made them to sell me things, not for you to dislike how I'm not selling something I don't have. It also happens in the CB, simple comments like "this is stupid," "that's just retarded." And to add on to those, receiving "</3" for something they don't understand. So yes, I agree that some gaians abuse this power of voting whether they like a thread or not.

Quote:
                  If Facebook can live with just a like button, why not Gaia?

Quote:
                  It's getting really irritating. When I first started both my quest thread and my glow thread, while in the process of making both, I got the "</3s." I ignored it and continued on, but what hope could people actually have if their thread is given a bad start before even starting? Especially with quest threads and charities. If someone if attempting to give back to the community, there's no reason for it. With quest threads, there's absolutely no reason.

Quote:
                  I am so tired of my boyfriend's art threads being downvoted for absolutely no reason. Quite literally every time he tried to make one it immediately got at least five downvotes and made him feel horrible about his art . . . when in fact so many people have said he's a damn good artist. This system makes no sense at all. O_o

Quote:
                  I definitely support the removal of the </3 button or any other alternative as long as it eliminates trolling through this voting system. Disliking a thread is pointless especially without reason. We wouldn't possibly know if the person has a legitimate reason since most won't tell you. If someone did dislike my thread for whatever reason, I would like to know why in order to improve my service if need be, but this anonymous voting system won't allow that. Just numbers alone does not tell me anything. You would have to interact with the thread and its people in order to judge for yourself. Who knows, you might be fine with something that someone is not. Don't let the voting system sway your judgement. If you like, good for you. If you hate, ignore it and move on. There's something out there for all of us.

Quote:
                  I sign....I think that when you vote down a topic there should be a little box including everyone's names who vote dit down. Instead of trolls just doing it anonymously for the fun of it.

Quote:
                  everytime i have a thread that gets voted down, its hurtful. especially if its an art thread. dang i have even had freebie threads get voted down. how could you vote someone down for giving away free arts?? and when shops get voted down, but the person doesnt even post a reply as to what they didnt like about the shop.
                  i dont know what would be a good solution, so i didnt vote in the poll. i need to think about that.

Quote:
                  I'm a big B/Cer and I've been in threads where people have trolled and down voted them for no other reason than because they didn't get a pet or don't like the owner. Why should someone be turned off of the shop just because they have a grudge?

I, Saint Of Revenge, sign this petition and hope this particular petition is paid attention to.

Quote:
                  Personally, I don't think people should be able to vote for a thread at all unless they've posted in it at least once, if not 5 or 10 times.

Quote:
                  I just finished reading all of those quotes that people said about the down voting and I feel like I'm not the only one who's been hurt by so many trollers that take advantage of this stupid voting system. It hurts people's feelings and I would really like to know what the hell gaia was thinking when they created this. Did they think everyone on gaia was happy and peaceful and got along? Their interpretation of gaia is completely wrong then. I DEFINITELY sign and approve this. <3

Quote:
                  I sign. I personally know a friend who got upset a group of people (she didn't do anything wrong other than decide to leave a thread and create on one her own) and she soon had throngs of people from the other thread downvoting her hangout because they didn't like it.
                  Not only are people downvoting out of spite, some get on multiple accounts to have at it. Gaia does not limit the number of mules you can make, and as such, you can't really control how many times a single person can downvote a thread.
                  If nothing else, think about establishing a system where there can only be one vote total per IP address.

Quote:
                  My art thread once reached popular status, which was very good for my business because it caught people's eye faster in the thread list.
                  Soon after I had to put my status to hiatus due to exams and that's when the downvotes came.
                  Like I'm going into hiatus for my own pleasure >.>
                  Popular status gone... sad

I'd suggest to obligate downvoters to state their reason for downvoting.
                  When they want to click the </3 button, a text box appears and the downvote will not be counted until the reason is filled in (with a controle in the coding so they can't submit while it's still empty or when there's just spam in it)
                  I also like the idea of obligating people to post at least once (or more) in the thread before they're allowed to vote

Quote:
                  I sign. I agree with this completely. My Booty Grab thread was being ignored because it had so many </3
                  The </3 were given because of tank glitches, something that I can't fix or do anything about, which caused people to ignore my thread and completely wasted all of the money I spent on fish :/

An idea I would suggest is allow unhearting a thread, but only show the creator the amount of unhearts, and make the score only show how many people hearted the thread.

Quote:
                  I never liked the </3 button - I've accidentally clicked it a few times and felt really bad. And I have no way of correcting it, either, which makes it all the more obnoxious. I just don't see the point in it other than to troll - sure, people have legitimately disliked threads, but I've even said simple, nice quest threads disliked for no reason. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Quote:
                  My favorite solution is [5] but I think if you took option [2] and let the thread creator personalize the voting options like if they can only vote up or can vote both up and down etc.

Quote:
                  I see the point, but I also have to ask WHY it's so important? I never pay attention, and could care less on who likes or dislikes the threads I make. I think the voting system is rather pointless, and I think it should be removed completely because it's such a fail idea.

Besides, calling it 'trolling' to get so many dislikes is probably just an insecure kid's way of complaining because they're hurt over not having a popular thread when really it's no big deal. I don't really believe it's a tool trolls favor in using a lot, as it's such a low form of 'trolling'. Trolls tend to be more verbal and not so silent. It just seems too boring to be an abrasive act of trolling.

People are going to dislike, and people are going to like. Maybe the truth just hurts.

But really, is getting a positive or negative vote going to impact the way you navigate your thread? I should hope not.

Quote:
                  Option 2 all the way,or remove it completely. But having the option would be nice,also having just the upvote button is a favorable option aswell,as if you dont like the thread,just leave. pretty simple really. either way I hope some action on the vote system is taken,some people really abuse it.Thread has my full support.

Cat Sapphire
                  Purgatorium
                  this thread I co own is reason why i want it removed barely a week and this is what happened,

a script was made to auto downvote it hence why it's so bad

I sign this petition

I am co-owner of this thread. I hardly ever look at the voting, it doesn't matter to me a whole lot...until we got hundreds of down votes in a couple of hours by use of the script. The voting is being used in ways that was not intended and should be done away with.

I sign this petition!

Aryvane
                          想来想去 [ User Image ] 只有这样

I sign.

The basis of this system is sound, and it’s a fact of life that not everyone is going
                                to like or agree with every one of your actions. And dealing with a few trolls, or even
                                flamers are just a fact of life.

But that it’s getting abused to such an extent that a member of the crew of a popular
                                guild would write a script and ask hundreds of people to downvote a thread without
                                knowing what they’re doing… I think that’s just going way too far.

Quote:
                  The system is ridiculous. It's amazing how much people get down voted, especially in roleplay search threads. If you're above 0, you're damn lucky or you've up voted from your various accounts. At least let us see who down votes us or don't have it at all. I've never used </3 because it's just a bully method for trolls.

Quote:
                  This is what happened to me:

I had a thread in the Wanted forum. Someone came & posted this: "this item for this item?" I wasn't sure what exactly he wanted, but to me it sounded he wanted to trade the first item for the other item. Neither of which I had. So I told him I didn't have those items, but if he was selling here was my offer. Instead of explaining to me what he meant, he got so mad at the thought of me making an offer, which he wasn't happy with. So instead of saying no, or offer more, he started saying random, stupid things like "No one likes me" & "No one will ever sell to me". The next thing I know, the numbers are below 0. What he had done was hit the </3 button, then started logging in on his mule accounts & hitting it, too. He also brought some friends in to do the same. Most of them leaving the same random, stupid comments. I continually asked him to stop, & leave. But he wouldn't. Yes, I can ignore him. But it doesn't stop him from coming in with his mules & his friends & doing the same. His final post, made by one of his mules, was to say how I was a b***h. Since then, I have not been able to buy anything in the Wanted forum, even though I've created new threads there.

~~~~~

The more recent story has happened in my lotto. When I first opened it, I had sold a few tickets. One day someone said they wanted to buy the rest of the tickets. I said ok, if that's what they wanted. I told them how much it would be. The reply was "Oh. Never mind then. I thought you were doing something to benefit the user, but you are making too much gold. So I'm not buying anything from you." The next thing I know, I had a few </3. Which didn't bother me since I continued to sell tickets. Not long after that, someone made a post to say how he would never buy tickets from someone like me who is making this much gold & not giving out more prizes & he knew that others were going to agree with him & not buy from me. Now there are more </3. I told him that I didn't think he was supposed to say stuff like that to cause people to not buy from me & that he was wrong about how much gold I was making. I told him where all of the gold was going, leaving me with far less than what he thought. Which seemed to make him madder, because his next post was to tell me he can say whatever he wants to. I agree. You can say what you want, but what he had said was wrong & I believed to be breaking a rule. After going back to look again, he deleted his original post & left with the remark of "There. I fixed it. It's over now." And left. I had hoped for an apology from him, but didn't get it. Instead I got more </3.

After that, I wonder who might have read that post & decided to not buy from me because they thought that person was right.

I wonder, when people see that the </3 button has been hit several times, does it influence them to not to want to sell to the thread owner? Or to not buy from them? Or if it's a charity or quest thread, does it cause people to not want to donated to them?

I think it does & something needs to be done about it.

Goddess SpiritWolf
                  I sign! I seen too many trolls abuse the dislike button. I hardly ever use it, maybe once but usually if there is something i dislike I will put my opinion in it cause one dislike button won't help if the person doesn't know why it was down voted. Either take the dislike button out, limit it to nothing below 0 or have the author of the thread choose to be rated. People nowadays won't act civil with each other and it just gives them reason to be immature bullies.

Those who do know how to use the dislike button are very few compared to those who don't. They need to learn how to compromise with those who dislike the dislike button instead of saying "i like it and use it, without it we'll be like facebook" it's not a valid argument. Arguing back and forth goes no where and that's where compromises come in. So as i said I think your ideas (that you have posted) are good compromises and I vote for them. =)

Quiliny
                  I sign. I think that removing the dislike button completely is the best idea if users are just going to dislike things for no reason. But I really hate how users are selling <3s to others, it's just unfair!

Jamais Changeant
                  I just started a quest thread and have no idea why I would be downvoted. Seriously, how can someone dislike a quest?

Daaku Einjeru
                  Wow...Just....wow.....

I've just read all the True Stories on the first page, and I have to say, I'm shocked. I never realized that people where abusing the </3 so much!

I will admit, I have used the </3 a few times in the past, but every time I clicked it, I always had my reasons for doing it, and some of them have been accidental, which I end up feeling guilty about.

I think from reading all the stories, I understand why Facebook has been so reluctant as to add a dislike button, even when there's such a high demand for it, in a way, it's just another form of bullying/harassment.

I think art shops, or Gaian Shops in general are suffering the most from this, I did used to have an art shop on Gaia sometime last year, but that was before Gaia brought in the <3 </3 buttons, and I have to admit, if I re-opened the shop now, and got a ton of </3 simply because some people don't like my art style, I'd be pretty hurt too!

From what I've read, it does sound like the mass amounts of </3 some people are getting in their shops is really affecting their business!

I'm not too sure what option I'd go for in the poll, (I haven't read all the options yet), but Gaia either needs to remove these buttons altogether, or make it so that you have to post a certain amount in times in the thread before you </3 or <3 it.

The Kindest Demon
                  I don't like the voting system all together. In my opinion liking or disliking doesn't make a topic popular or not. The amount of posts should dictate the popularity of a topic. You can have a controversial topic that gets low liking, but because of a swarm of posts it gathers I'd say it's popular. This now leaves the issue of how to designate between bad or good popularity. Change it so topics are infamous or famous. So you then get a more 3 dimensional ranking system where a topic can be popular, infamously popular, and famously popular.

Seperia
                  The only change I would really make to the voting system is that they have to make a comment on why they </3 or <3 it. For example, for those who </3 this thread I think a box should pop up or it brings them to a 'Post a Reply' screen and has them answer /why/. If they don't go through with it, the vote should be nulled.

Honestly though, I don't care much. I still go by the amout of posts in a single topic to determine it's popularity.

DelarStar
                  Personally, I think there should be a Star system.
                  Like YouTube used to have.
                  Five Stars, with zero at the lowest,
                  and five at the highest.
                  This way, people can voice their opinions,
                  but in such a way that it can't
                  go into the negatives.

Dione Nightly
                  I sign. The only issue I've encountered so far is in my booty grab thread with a friend. Sure, we don't have the most spectacular tanks, as we fill them on a budget, but we tip /every/ person who bumps us, and we've still received some negative votes. Each one stings, because I don't see what either of us could have done to deserve it. Its FREE GOLD, what do people have to complain about?

I personally think removing the </3 button is the way to go. It follows Thumpers Law. "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

hiko27
                  I sign this awesome petition!

I've recently opened up a temp bribe shop and guess what? Hell yeah. Somebody downvoted it. I tried to remove it by upvoting mine but somebody downvoted again. I actually think this downvoting thing is stupid. There will always be jealous/immature Gaians. No doubt. I don't know why Gaia even decided to put the down vote here.

Make love, not war. Encourage other fellow Gaians, don't degrade them.

Ojosama Chidorri
                  I sign!!
                  I just finished my quest thread and it wrote clearly "for tracking my progress" and immediately I get downvotes. >:[

Pesamenteiro
                  I sign.
                  Another suggestion I have might by to make it non-anonymous, like you could check who voted up and down, that might stop some people from trolling :/ I dunno

theluckyduckie
                  facebook doesn't allow dislikes (probably because people might commit suicide or other extreme actions) and gaia should do the same :C

ChuVonya
                  [ I don't understand why gaia is taking so long to change something that they should never have put in the first place.

But no, they shut down a thread for this one site I go on because someone was butt hurt they couldn't get something from the other site for free. So they reported the tread on here.

What's up with that Gaia? Messed up priorities much?

Angel_Kitten_Sweetheart
                  And yes, I think it should be done away with entirely! It's stupid to bring it up in the first place, and all it does is cause drama! <nod nod>

I know a person that left a thread to make her own, and was utterly attacked by the people in the other thread. Coding was made so that way when people clicked a specific clink it up voted Their thread and down voted hers. (link was just random 'click this' link) Got her into -500's. Every forum she went through to make threads, they continued to harrass her without action from gaia! It cause a whole lot of unneeeded stress, drama, and was totally and utter unacceptable.

DO AWAY WITH THIS PLEASE!! The sooner the better!

SplendiferousMoments
                  Obviously there will always be critics and flaws but that is a fact of life you have to learn to deal with. I’m sure there are less flamers on here and more people who just don’t agree with your idea than you think. Remember that just because you think your idea is wonderful, doesn’t mean other people will find it so, or indeed that it actually is. But I digress. My idea is simple: A five star system with 5 being the highest rating and a one being the lowest (unless you added in a zero in which case I’m sure that’d be calculated as an actual zero to the overall rating.) With that you’d have more of an even rating as people who aren’t thrilled with the thread but still think it’s a good idea can give it like a three or a four while people who love it can give it full points and people who don’t can rate it lower. The system would be based on an average so one vote won’t devastate the rating if the thread has enough votes and it won’t be as cut-throat as: you either like it or you don’t.

m ewlings
                  Friends/acquaintances of mine have been victims of the </3 for so long.
                  Newly set-up graphic shops by recently-active-again accounts downvoted .. for what?
                  Because the graphics are too good?
                  Because there are too many shops?
                  Because the </3 was so appealing and attractive and just screaming out to be clicked?
                  It makes no sense.

Why was the </3 button there to begin with anyway?
                  Same as the reason why I never quite advocated the idea of having the dislike button on Facebook: if allows too much room for pointless hating.

Flammable Rainbowz
                  I disagree with taking out the whole system, but Gaia should at least give everyone options to take out the entire system, the </3 button, or even the <3 button, when making a new thread.
                  I'm not saying everyone who clicks the </3 button is trolling. Some are for very good reasons. But sometimes people hit the </3 button and don't post why leaving the thread owner curious to what they did wrong.
                  I currently have a freebie thread that occasionally gets a </3 and I don't know why. It doesn't bother me too much because the thread is popular, but I'd like to know what I could improve on so I can please as many people as possible.

Nyowpotopop
                  So I would like to propose instead to make blocking someone making them unable to downvote your thread... And then link mule accounts to main accounts and disallow "side" accounts that are separate entities. If this happened when you blocked a main account it would block all the mules so it would be much harder to downvote a thread in a trolling manner.

Full post here

hello toki

I agree 100%. Having only the like button is fine. Maybe there could just be a feature where you can leave critique anonymously to the OP's inbox, and if trolls decide to send negative things in there, you could report it and it can be traced back to the IP address or something.

I made a mini-shop yesterday, and now it has a vote of -2. 10 people disliked it. I don't get what's wrong. The dislike button doesn't help at all.. Do I know what to change in the shop? No. Does it benefit anyone? No.

And just when I get the 'popular' status on my other mini-shop, a hoard of trolls come and dislike it 20 times.
                  W
                  T
                  F.

Unsolved Mystery
                  ... n the guilds there is a recommend button.
                  What if the <3 & </3 in threads were replaced with a recommend button? And once a thread has reached a certain amount of recommendations, it could be featured on the home page, or have some sort of "popular box" or other icon similar to what we see now when a thread gets so many <3's.

Sefyrion
                  I'm not sure what option to vote for, but I DO agree that people are abusing the voting system - either for the perceived lulz or out of vengeance for a perceived wrong.

Like someone else said, I've seen someone's freebie thread downvoted (really, now? downvoting for something that's being freely given?) because their slots were full. I've seen someone's Q and A thread downvoted because someone thought the question being asked was stupid even though it was a perfectly legit question. I've seen threads downvoted because they were misposted to the wrong forum. I've had my own Exchange thread (which wasn't even finished being set up so I hadn't even engaged in any kind of activity on the thread at all in the first place) downvoted multiple times on account of my refusal to engage in a Trade with a user who was trying to scam me and other Exchangers at the time. Other Exchangers whom this scammer had engaged with also experienced the same issue with thread downvoting as well.

One way to cut down on the abuse might be to disable multiple votings coming from the same IP to cut back on the issue of people using mules to vote.

Basically, IP XYZ has already voted so the same user can't vote again using a different account. I know that using IPs can be a tricky thing as IPs can be recycled throughout an ISP, but at the rate the voting abuse has been going on, it might be simply worth it to impose such a limit.

As I never personally utilized the <3 and </3 system much, I actually don't care if the option simply disappeared altogether.

I'm used to having threads that never had the option in the first place and I never bothered checking in on threads simply because they were/are popular or unpopular.

I check what's recent - popular or unpopular - and if I have a specific issue, question, or topic I am looking for, I will either visit the appropriate forum in question and look on the first few pages or utilize the Search function.

Tea and Battle
                  I'll sign this.

If down votes are going to be subtracted, then don't show the total number of votes; that makes it seem like twice as many negative votes as are really there. I would like to see down votes not change the number, but add to the number of total votes. Thus we might see 60 of 70 and know sixty out of seventy voters liked a thread. Real quick and easy to tell and it looks right. It appears that ten people did not like the thread, which would be true. Right now such would show as 50 of 70, implying twenty negatives when there are only ten. Not fair viewing.

Kekora
                  The only voting system that I liked was the cookie one. Users are more "economic" in their decisions on what to use it for compared to the <3/</3 system. I only say this for forums such as site feedback and petitions, everything else shouldn't have a voting system (unless required for something).

dizziedobsession
                  For me it's not necessarily about trolls. It's about the fact I don't find anything helpful by people disliking my threads and not telling me why. It makes me feel like I'm actually doing something WRONG, even when it seems there should be no reason to dislike a thread. I mean sure, if i'm bashing people, dislike me. But when I'm trying to sell items for a quest, what the heck is there to dislike!? Why bother going to a thread based on a title to just </3 and leave? (I know it happens).

r a d i o cannibal
                  Long story short, due to one of the artists' unresolved drama, our joint art shop has been down voted greatly. We were at 126 positive votes, which took a year and a half to gather, and within less that 24 hours we've dropped down to 5. No doubt we'll continue to drop, but all this drama has cost a lot of stress on the artist to the point where she's considering moving the shop to a new thread with a new theme.

I prefer having not voting system at all.

peekchu
                  Also, I agree with Tea and Battle.
                  One downvote seems to have 2x the effect it actually does right now.
                  Simply showing 60 (as in 60 people liked the thread), and putting 70 votes, really changes it a lot.

Blade Havok
                  It's funny. I didn't even think this sort of petition would exist nevertheless be quite so far. I looked for it, but I didn't initially find anything, and I find it ironical that the title took the words of down-voting replacing trolling right out of my mouth because that's what it is.

When I look in a thread for the first, I don't use the up vote or down vote to judge anything, but if it's my thread, I do pay attention to that sort of thing. Frequently, down- votes are yielded more often than up votes if I average votes out and all the users that have voted up and down my roleplay threads or any other threads.

I understand why there is a down vote option or at least the possible need for one, to warn others that a particular thread may not necessarily be appropriate. However, I feel like that particular system is being abused at present because I put time and effort into my threads. No one has to like it. I'm not telling people to up-vote my threads or anything, but I feel it insulting that they either skim the top or just glance at it and make a decision based on that. If I were being extremely prejudice or verbally abusive or something that infringe upon the freedoms of another person, I would understand.

Therefore, I think it is most appropriate to only have up-votes for liking something almost like Facebook's 'like' process. They probably did not include a 'dislike' for this very reason, although in Facebook's particular sharing case, things can be restricted to friends so if they ever included a dislike, it can be restricted to friends or various groups of friends rather than the whole user system. Since that would not work with Gaia standards, the actually system should be restricted. Then if someone doesn't like a thread, they can simply move on with their life and ignore it just like they normally would, and if someone likes it, they can still show their approval and Gaia still have its 'popular thread' status maintained.

dizziedobsession
                  I have another suggestion but I'm not sure how practical/plausible it is?

Why not block users from <3 or </3 until they have a certain post count or something?
                  And/or add an achievement that "unlocks" thread voting for each user?

It would help prevent just-created accounts (ie mules made just for the purpose of downvoting) from (down)voting. Of course that doesn't fix the entire problem. I hate receiving </3's at all and will still continue to do such. They prevent people from giving me constructive, written posts and if it's in LI, have the potential for making me feel shittier for my issue.

I know I've seen suggested before and I'm in quick reply so I can't track back to your first page right now...but do you also have the suggestion to just simply block the system in certain forums? (Like LI?)

Thorny Beauty
                  I've seen discussions saying they won't read further into a thread if it is massively down-voted
                  which I think is unfair to those who created the thread.
                  I think it should be completely taken down or made an option to have it up
                  and even then not be able to be down-voted past 0.
                  Trolls are having too much fun with this.

-----------------------Banners-----------------------

Feel free to put this in your thread, signature or profile!
                  This was designed and made by the second thread owner. Do not steal it.

User Image
                  [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/petitions/don-t-post/t.73531873_1/#2][img]http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/TokioHotelFan1992/STOP-1.png[/img][/url]

OR
                  User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
                  [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/petitions/don-t-post/t.73531873_1/#2][IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2a6wfpy.png[/IMG][/url]

-----------------------Black List-----------------------

None so far. Good. Keep it that way.

-----------------------Signatures-----------------------

Signatures 1 to 28 are here: [1]
        Signatures 29 to 282 are here: [2]
        Signatures 283 to 678 are here: [3]
        Signatures from this thread.

1. Gorgeous Gift Fairy (Founder)
2. MythosArchon
3. TtheHero
4. adHomin3m
5. e-mantehdragonchamp