Welcome to Gaia! ::

If you aren't commenting, did you at least attempt to read it?

No, it's too long. 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I read more than a paragraph, but not the whole thing. 0.25 25.0% [ 1 ]
Yeah, I read the whole story, but I just don't feel like commenting. 0.25 25.0% [ 1 ]
Dance, magic dance! 0.5 50.0% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 4 ]
1 2 >

So this is a story based on a 6 month long role play session a friend and I had ages ago. She has written a story base don the same role play with a very different plot. This is kind of meant to be a sister story to hers almost since this story follows a completely different character.

Feel free to comment and let me know what you think. I'll be putting five more chapters up slowly and they are all completed in my mind so, I'll not be making any changes to them. This is just up here for pleasure.

I will not apologize for the length because this is what a novel is and should be. Each new post is an individual chapter. The novel is not yet complete and chapters 1-6 are the only chapters that I will be putting up here.

User Image

They said that giving birth in a zero-g environment was nearly painless, ‘nearly’ being the optimal word. Artemis hardly felt anything except pressure as a seven pound baby girl forced her way into the world. Her parents weren’t married at the time, but Archie Montague had proposed to Artemis and promised they would be married as soon as they were planet side again.

Their daughter, Diana, was a handful from the beginning. She was a perplexing child who barely cried, only whimpering as she sought out the comfort of her mothers’ breast. Only after the two months of their orbit around the industrial planet of Castillo did Diana show any signs of normal baby behavior. She was entranced by the twinkling lights that surrounded her in the small ship. She also started to cry once the ship passed through the atmosphere and landed.

Artemis was just getting used to life as a married woman when she and Diana, not even a year old, lost Archie to an accident at work. It didn’t leave them much worse off. Artemis had to face it. As a small minority species in the large universe, Humans never had a good life.

Diana was a bright girl, a quick learner and nearly perfect at everything she tried. She rarely took notice of her meticulous habits, and considered her perfectly organized, mistake free notes to be an extension of her intelligence. Her Mother did note that no ten year old should have a room as neat as hers was. She did hoard wires and old toys, but there was an order to everything.

At ten years old, Diana had proven herself to be a handful already. She had taken a liking to things that blinked, beeped, moved, and had lots of buttons. After the world of electronics peaked her interest, the cyber world had sucked her in, and her bright mind had proven a force to be reckoned with once she was introduced to the concept of computer hacking.

xxxxxxxxxx

“s**t, Nova,” a boy exclaimed. Half of his body seemed to be made of living metal, its grayish color shifting relentlessly like a puddle of oil as he moved, spoke, and breathed. He was dark skinned, and his hair would have been dark and coarse if a metal plate hadn’t been covering his scalp. “You’s only ten. It just blows my mind, you know, what you can do with that thing.”

Nova only smiled. Her nickname had been given to her by the neighborhood kids years ago, thanks to her infamous temper tantrums. She glanced up once, and then looked back down at the small display screen. She had made this little computer herself. It was reminiscent of the old fashioned models, with a flip top cover, LCD screen, and a keyboard without the symbols. She didn’t need them anyway.

“Dartain, it blows my own mind. Now, back off, or I’ll rewire you so bad they won’t be able to fix you for months.” The cyborg backed off, laughing as he was shoved by another youngster hovering behind Nova. She flourished her hands slightly as she punched in the last bit of coding before she sat back to admire the work on her screen. “There, that should do it. Let me see the cards now…” She held out her hand for the small slivers for plastic that were being dug out of pockets and, in Dartain’s case, storage spaces.

“Nova, if you get caught, you could get in to trouble. Messing with credits like this is really bad.” Dartain sounded a little bit worried, but so far, all of Novas hacks and recoding stunts had gone unnoticed.

“Hey, I told you not to worry. I haven’t been caught yet. Besides, what would they do to a ten year old if they ever found out? Throw me in jail with the big boys?” She smirked as she worked through the credit chips her friends had handed her, loading enough on them to buy at least a month’s supply of sweets.

Nova was still smiling brightly as they exited their favorite sweets store, their pockets full and their mouths sticky. Her bright blue eyes were glistening with mischief, proud that no one was suspicious of them. She walked ahead of the group, strutting and tossing her black hair like nobody’s business. “I told you it would all work out,” she called back over her shoulder as the group returned to sit on the stoop of their apartment building.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Eight years had gone by, and much had changed. Nova was no longer scoffed at when it came to the hacking business, and many young kids had come to her for credit additions to their chips or alterations to school grades. It was all child’s play, that stuff. The heavier work she was doing at night would land her serious jail time if she was caught, even though she was only eighteen.

Her room was still the same, annoyingly organized. Everything had its place and the toolbox that was underneath her bed was labeled carefully in loopy handwriting. Her old computer sat on her desk, a cable linking it to her home terminal. A holo-display flickered in front of her, bathing the black haired girl in bluish light. Somewhere in the background, rising above the soft humming that filled the room, her clock announced the time - 2:30. Her fingers stopped in mid air, and slowly, her head turned to look at the display above her door way. It really was that late, or early, apparently. The rest of the apartment was quiet, and if she listened carefully, she could hear her mother turning in her sleep in the room next door.

She cast a quick glance at the crucifix that hung over her bed, gave an apologetic shrug, and continued typing. Being one of the few humans meant preserving the old traditions of Earth, including religion. She and her mother were considered Catholic, and while they could not attend Mass (the concept of it that was presented in their old Bible seemed so strange to her), Nova practiced her beliefs on her own with as much passion as she had for hacking.

Nova looked back at the display. The computer had asked for one final command before she entered the city main frame. She read it once and the code the preceded it, just skimming over the text, assuming that it was a general warning. She entered four letters, and a series of ten numbers afterwards, and hit enter. The display went blank except for a blinking hourglass in the center, and then it flickered and died. Her brows drew together and she hit enter a few more times. Nothing happened. Then, she turned to violence, smacking the terminal and hoping that something was just loose inside. Usually a terminal blackout like this meant something bad. Her work was being monitored, and through she was careful not to leave any traces behind while she worked, she was afraid.

She unhooked her old computer, pulling out the disk that was inside of it, and erased any files that were stored on the hard drive. The next thing - and this nearly killed her - was to remove the hard drive itself. Nova rolled across the room to a small alcove and tossed it into the microwave and turned it on. She watched a small flame take to the bit of silicone and metal and then finally die out once the buzzer went off. She heard another creak from the room next door and she quickly disposed to the now ruined piece of hardware by throwing it out of the window. Nova finally went to bed with an uneasy feeling boiling in the pit of her stomach.

xxxxxxxxxxx

“Little piece of human pond scum!” Nova hunched forward as a blow landed on her stomach. She coughed and watched her blood mingling with saliva as it fell to the asphalt.

“Where is that disk! I needed it today!” The same rough voice sounded over her. Nova looked up, her eyes flashing with anger and her face contorted with pain.

“I told you, I had to flash the hard drive quick. I couldn’t make a copy!”

“That’s a pack of s**t. You just don’t want to give it to me!” Three sets of hands with long fingers reached towards her, groping at her slender body. All she felt was rough fingers going over her exposed stomach and back and she gave a dry heave.

“Get your ******** hands off of me. I can break every bone in your bodies. I don’t have it!”

“Too late for that. Just search her…” The leader of the street gang ordered his thuggish minions to search every part of her, and Nova felt so violated. She shook with rage, insulted by the hands wandering over her like this. They ran down her legs, feeling for any hint of a data disk in the pockets of her cargo pants. She tapped a foot threateningly. She always wore steel toed boots that rose to about mid calf and were laced up tightly. Her cargo pants hung low on her hips and fit snugly over her buttocks. There was a large c***k of bare skin between the pants and a white cropped shirt that covered the small swell of her breasts. Her hands were covered by leather gloves. Their fingers had been cut off and the lighter brown of the palms suggested years of wear and tear.

“I don’t have it, you bags of slop.” She jumped now, swinging a leg around and landing a blow on the nearest thug’s pelvis, throwing him off balance and startling the others. Nova was small, but the girl was tough. She still hung with the old gang, and they had fought many street battles with her. She learned to fight from them. I’ll make Dartain proud, she thought with an impish grin as she landed more kicks on the legs of her attackers, who were now throwing punches at her. She dodged a lot of them, but some of the blows landed on her stomach, and a few caught her face. Thankfully, she didn’t feel any bones cracking, though she knew she would have to explain her black eyes and bloody lip to her mother.

She screamed in frustration, kicking out wildly, and felt her left foot connect with a body. There was a grunt and the heavy sound of flesh hitting the ground. Nova turned to look and saw the gang leader laying on the ground with his hands over his crotch, tears streaming down his ugly face.

She took her chance while the others bent to help their fallen leader. She ran, brushing back her short hair, which now felt sticky and warm. She did not stop until she reached the safety of her stoop. Dartain was sitting there with Iggy and Lois.

“Hey, Nova!” one of them shouted at her as she passed through the door without saying a word. “Nova! What happened? You’re covered in-” she didn’t hear their last word. The door closed behind her and she stomped up the stairs to her apartment. She pressed her hand to the identification pad, smearing it with a dark purplish substance that had not come from her own body, and entered. She hurried past the bathroom and went straight for the kitchen where she found her mother hovering over the sink cleaning some meat for dinner. Upon hearing the heavy footsteps of her daughter, Artemis turned to take in the sight.

“Oh, Diana, not again!” she moaned, rinsing her hands quickly and rushing over to lift Nova’s chin upwards. Her left cheekbone was swelling up and her bottom lip was swollen and bleeding from a small cut that was just off center. “Diana, I told you to stay out of those fights. Your friends were there too! Weren’t they?” Nova shook her head.

“No mother. They were sitting on the stoop when I got here. They had nothing to do with this fight.” She frowned and reached up to touch her hair, looking at her hand as she pulled it away. So, some of their blood got in it, she thought with disgust. It was purple and gross and it needed to go, but for now, she reached into the cabinet just beside the sink and took out a medical compress. She smacked it on the counter and then took it with her to her room where she could lay in peace as the cold soothed the soreness enveloping the left side of her face. She barely heard the pounding on the door and the urgent, official sounding voices that floated down the short hallway.

“Last night, I’m very sure of it. We need to take her now.”

“But you can’t. She isn’t a criminal!” It was her mother’s panicked voice that caught her attention. Nova sat up in her bed, dizziness overtaking her for a second before she stood up and left the compress sitting on her nightstand. She peered cautiously out of her room.

“She left a trail, it pointed right to this address. Not to mention the signature she left.” She heard the soft rustle of papers and her mother sobbing. The next thing she knew, they were coming down the hall and she shut the door quickly. The image of their tall, lanky frames and large, wide set eyes wouldn’t leave her. She had just crouched down to crawl under her bed when the door flew open. She shrieked and fell back against her bed. The mattress shifted and something crashed to the floor. Above the sound of blood pounding in her ears, she heard the cheery voice of her clock display announce the time, and then they grabbed her, one on either side. Despite their thinness, their grip was strong. The third read off her rights and announced the terms of her arrest.

“You have been charged with infiltrating the city’s internal network, threatening the life and wellbeing of the citizens. You will be held at the station until the day of your trial. A council appointed defender will be with you at that time.”

Nova was speechless and she barely struggled as they dragged her out of the apartment. Her mother was sobbing behind her, her hands clutching at the slippery fabric of their uniforms. “No! My baby! She’s innocent. She couldn’t have! “

But mother, I can, and I did, Nova thought sadly. I have abilities beyond your understanding. I can’t be stopped; I won’t let this stop me.
Her cell was plain, clean and completely boring. At least she didn’t have to worry about readjusting anything in there so she felt more comfortable with her surroundings. There really was nothing to adjust and move around. Of course, there was the exception of her mattress, which had a questionable stain on it.

“You would think that being a prison with the most money, they could afford some bleach, or something…” She muttered angrily, as she started pacing around the small room. It was ten square feet, or supposed to be. There was an extra five inches on the bottom part of the wall where the door was.

She had lost her combat boots now, along with the cargo pants and the cropped shirt. Even her gloves were gone and that angered her to no extent. She had nothing from her past life, except the fact that she still had the numbers and the codes in her head. She went through those that she knew every morning so she wouldn’t forget.

After pacing for five minutes, she flopped back down onto her bed and rolled over to her stomach, the loose pale blue shirt that she was wearing twisted around her uncomfortably.

“Hey Moby!” She shouted, hoping the scumbag next to her was awake. She wasn’t allowed anything electronic, not even a clock display over her door. She had no sense of time except night and day; she only knew what the other prisoners told her.

“Yeah, sweetheart,” came the rough reply. A slightly condescending tone, but Nova pushed it away.

“What’s the time and date if you don’t mind?” She moved again and her chin now rested on one of her fisted hands.

“10:45, and the date…” a pause as he waited for the display to scroll. This blows, she thought, not even a clock. I gotta get all this information from other people. “The 30th. How many days you got left?”

Nova didn’t answer right away. She knew; but didn’t want to announce that she still had one year, three days, four hours and 57 minutes left of her sentence. “Too long Moby. Too long.” She felt tears sting at her eyes. She laid down on her side, curled up into a fetal position, and slept until the guards came and woke her up for lunch.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Nova was half asleep when the door creaked open. The sound of metal sliding on metal made her cringe. Her black hair, now long from not being cut since she was convicted over three years ago, hung over her face. It smelled dirty too, but her shower time wasn’t until later, after all the males had their turn. She may have been a criminal, but the government didn’t want a lawsuit of sexual harassment after Nova got out.

“Diana Montague,” It wasn’t the usual prison guard who had spoken. No, this was the smooth, self assured voice of the government. She sat up now, pushing hair out of her eyes and taking in the tall lean frame of a Castillo native. Their skin was pale, their necks were long, and their bald heads a little too round.

“It’s Nova,” she gritted her teeth. Only her mother called her Diana, and she hadn’t heard from her in well over a year now. At first, their visits were frequent, and it brought Nova a little glimmer of hope to see the familiar warm face.

“We do not recognize that name. Now, if you will, please come with me.” He stepped away from the door, the fabric of his uniform shifting with him like liquid silver. “We need your assistance.”

She stared at him with confusion for a moment before the demanding voice of the guard jolted her to life. “He said, ‘Move!’ hacker!” She stood up automatically, her head hanging just a little as she followed the government official down the hallways. There were two guards behind her, each with a gun and club at their sides. There was some catcalling and shouting as she walked past other cells and one guard stopped to drag the club across the bars.

“Shut up!” His voice echoed down the hallway as Nova and the others went on ahead. She was led to a room that appeared to be reserved for meetings between the prisoners and their defenders. She wondered silently where hers was. She shook her head and sat down in the seat offered to her. She looked at her bare toes against the dark blue color of the shoes she wore.

“Miss Montague, as I said before, we need your help.” The two guards that remained took a spot on either side of the door and she glanced at them, sneering slightly. “There is talk of war and there have already been attacks on our main terminal.” Nova looked back at him, blinking.

“I don’t mean any offence sir, but your defenses on that are really weak. Anyone could get into it, I just happened to be the first.” She smiled now, proud of what she was able to do, but the man talking to her did not seem pleased.

“You did not get into our systems. Your terminal was blacked out before you were able to see anything, but now, we will give you full access to the system if you agree to assist us. Not to mention, early release.”

“To be honest sir, I would rather finish out the rest of my sentence. I’ve already spent three years here, what’s another year more.” She crossed her arms over her chest and looked at the paper that lay in front of her. She was curious now. It couldn’t have been of any importance since it was folded, in his pocket. “What is it,” she finally asked, reaching out for the paper while keeping an eye on the one who offered her freedom.

“It’s a page of the coding that was hacked. We couldn’t find any signature, but maybe you can find something. Also, we would like better protection for the system. An earlier blackout point or just a solid wall before other hackers can get anywhere close. We realized that needed to happen when you got in.” Nova raised an eyebrow and noted that the person in front of her didn’t have any trace of hair on his head, but she could still see the muscles above his eye shift.

“So how close did I get?” she grinned, slowly unfolding the paper to see what all the fuss was about.

“Too close for comfort,” he said calmly. “We will give you two weeks to work on this if you agree. From your cell of course, and 24 hour surveillance to make sure you don’t do anything to screw up your chances.” He paused now, his mouth curving into a smile that made Nova uneasy. “I’m sure your mother would want to see you let out for good behavior.”

Nova’s stomach gave a lurch and she felt her eyes start to burn. No, no crying, she told herself firmly. She looked at the printed code now, but all she really saw was her mother’s face. “Alright, I’ll do it.”

xxxxxxxxxxx

It wasn’t even a week later that Nova requested to talk to someone from the government. She had traced the hack and had begun securing the system from any other attacks. She would be finished sometime later that evening if she wasn’t bothered at all.

“Well, what can you tell me, Miss Montague?” The same government official was there. She had learned that Shelton was all he went by. He sat down on the other side of the table across from her.

“Well, to be honest, it was a little difficult. My skills are a little bit rusty, thanks to the stupid sentence, but that isn’t the point. I traced it to a planet near the center of the galaxy, Helios Prime. It doesn’t mean anything to me, but I’m sure it means something to you. I really hope this helps. There was also a message in the code.”

Shelton looked at Nova, a little confused, but he folded his hands over the table and nodded for her to continue.

She slid a scrap of paper across the table with her loopy handwriting on it.
“Resume trading or the planet will die,” he read aloud.

Nova nodded. “I had to translate it from another language, but that is the basic meaning of it. I have no doubt that they can shut down the systems if I don’t finish my modifications soon. They were trying to get to the water station and started on the space ports-” she was going to continue but Shelton raised a hand to silence her.

“They will cut off our food and poison our water. Our planet is small and it depends on the traders that stop to refuel. We can’t have anything thrown out of place. If we do not resume trading with the Preyons, a very bloody war could result.” Worry was clear on his face, and in his voice. Just knowing that something could shake Shelton’s confidence in Castillo’s security had also shaken hers as well.

“Preyons, sir?” Nova was not familiar with that species. While Castillo had become a melting pot for the outcasts of different star systems, “Preyon” was not a word she was familiar with.

“They were built for war, very bloody wars. They don’t fight with guns and they usually don’t threaten to shut down life sustaining systems like they just did. They come and attack, killing with their bare hands.” Nova shuddered at the description. An image of a body, laying torn in two flashed through her mind and she nearly threw up the meager lunch that was in her stomach. “I think you now understand the importance of what you’ve been doing for us.”

Nova nodded, looking at the door. “If you don’t mind, I would like to get back to work.” Shelton nodded and they both stood up. He allowed Nova to leave first and he stood waiting in the doorway, watching her until she disappeared around a corner.

“I hope that your work is fast and precise. The planet is counting on you, young human,” he spoke softly before leaving the prison all together.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Although the craft was virtually sound proof, she could almost hear the gates close behind her with a noisy metal bang. She turned to look out of the rear window, smiling knowing that she would never see the inside of that prison again, or the outside for that matter. She turned around again, wriggling a little to get a little more comfortable in the soft back seat of Shelton’s hover car. She was going back home now. She was back in her old clothes, which seemed a little loose on her now. She probably lost so much weight while she was in there so it didn’t surprise her at all. She adjusted her gloves, tightening the straps that went across the backs of her hands.

They did not speak at all through the trip and as they came to familiar cities, memories flashed back to Nova. That was where my first fight was; I won that one. She sat back while familiar buildings flashed past and children ran down the sidewalks chasing after one another. Just up ahead a familiar building that nearly brought tears to her eyes appeared. She had spent nearly four years in a place that was far from home; the sight of the old apartment building was a welcome sight.

The car stopped and she felt it descend the few feet to the ground. She opened the door, stepped out, and took a deep breath of the slightly smoky air. “Thank you, Shelton.” She had leaned back into the car and smiled at him. “Hopefully I won’t see you again.” Before any reply could be given, the door was shut and she was running up the steps. She wondered vaguely what had happened to her old friends. Were they still here or had they moved on with their lives?

Fifty-eight stairs she climbed to finally get to her apartment door. She placed her hand on the entry pad that did nothing for a few seconds before the scan line passed over her palms and beeped. The door slid open and she stepped inside. There were hardly any lights on, and the only thing that she could use to orient herself in the dark apartment was a soft glow coming from the kitchen.

“Mother? Are you here?” There was no answer, and Nova frowned. Surely she knew that Nova was coming home. There should have been a warm hug waiting for her and a delicious meal cooking. There was no hug and not even a hint of good smells drifting from the kitchen. She glanced through the doorway, looking at the holo that was left on. A news reporter was there, but no sound was coming out. She had overlooked the shadowy figure that was sitting at the table. She had moved on to go to her room when a voice spoke up.

“Nova, get back in here.” She jumped. It was an unfamiliar voice. At first, she did not move from her spot in the hallway, then she stepped back slowly, her eyes immediately zeroing in on the unfamiliar figure.

“Get out, you don’t belong here,” she said angrily at first. “My mom will kick out if she finds a stranger here.” There was a chuckle and Nova stepped forward, planting her feet and readying herself for a fight.

“Alright, then I’ll do it.” Metal scraped against the floor and there was some heavy breathing as if the act of getting up out of a chair took this person a lot of effort. “I’m sorry for the dark. I’m getting old and my eyes are sensitive to the light.” Nova blinked, but did not shy away from the now brightened kitchen.

“Nova, your mother, she asked me to take care of the apartment until you got back.” There was a hint of sadness to the voice and Nova was a little bit intimidated. The stranger seemed like a giant. She was solid too and looked like she could hold her own against any threat that was thrown in her direction.

“I’m Bethania by the way, and unfortunately, I have some… heartbreaking news for you.” She frowned and deep creases showed up in Bethania’s brow. “Sit, sit… it would be better.”

Nova fumbled in the darkness for a chair, relying on the reflections of light from the metal on the chairs to orient herself. She turned the chair around and sat down, leaning forward against the back of the chair. “Do you think we could have just a little bit of light? I don’t like it being so dark.”

The woman who had identified herself as Bethania moved across the kitchen to the light switch and turned it on. The light flickered three times before staying on and filling the kitchen with its cool fluorescent glow. “I hope that’s better for you… I told you though, the light hurts my eyes.”

Now Nova could take in the appearance of this woman. She was correct in assuming that she would be able to hold her own against an enemy. Bethania was a large woman, but losing the muscle tone that came with old age. She was also getting heavy around the middle but could not be considered fat. Not to mention she was dark skinned, the color of rich chocolate, and her eye that would have been entirely black seemed a little cloudy, as if she were going blind.

Nova decided this Bethania woman was a good person to have around. She wasn’t Mother, but still someone that made her feel safe. “So, you told me I should sit. In all honesty it’s the last thing I want to do now. In case you didn’t realize this, I just got out of prison for hacking into the planet’s main systems. I want my own computer and room back. With a clock.”

Bethania pursed her lips, forming a thin dark line that clearly indicated annoyance with the young woman. “Yes, I understand you crave technology at the moment, but this is more important dear.” She stopped for a moment to sit in the chair that she previously occupied. “I really hate to be the one to tell you this, but she asked me to. Nova, your mother won’t be coming back.” The ever present wrinkles on Bethania’s face deepened and in her eyes Nova could see deep sadness and remorse.

“Won’t be coming back? Did she run-“ she stopped now, the wheels were turning in Nova’s head as she realized the meaning of that statement. “My mother is dead? How? No, when? Why wasn’t I told?!” Sadness and anger flooded through her and she had begun to feel light headed as her breathing quickened and her pulse raced.

“I need her! She needs to come back!” Nova couldn’t imagine a life without her mother. There was always food on their plates and a warm feeling in their home, but now, there was nothing, just emptiness, and she realized that she had felt that emptiness the second she stepped through the doorway.

The light headed feeling wasn’t going away and the edges of her vision were fading to black. She swayed in her chair and Bethania’s voice seemed far away as she tried to calm Nova down.

“Breathe, you just need to breathe,” Nova heard from somewhere far away.

I’m breathing God dammit, and it’s not helping! She fell back out of the chair now and onto the hard floor, hitting the back of her head. Her eyes remained open for a second before fluttering closed.
The second that Nova had blacked out, Bethania was not surprised at all. She calmly lifted Nova from the ground and carried her down the hallway and into her room. Nova’s head rolled from side to side as she bounced in Bethanias arms. Nova was set down gently on her bed and left to lie there until she finally came to.

Bethania knew that Nova would be confronting the emotions that would surely overtake her the moment she woke up and reoriented herself in her room. She glanced back at Nova who seemed as if she were asleep, and left the room, leaving the door ajar so she cold listen for any sounds that came from within and Bethania returned to the kitchen to begin preparing some food for herself and Nova and to send a message to the captain that the girl had been released from jail.

It was an hour later that Nova woke up confused and feeling as if someone had punched the back of her head. She reached a hand around to feel through her long thick hair and found a bump there. It was too late for a cold compress, but the cold would be soothing. She also had the worst dream. Her mother had died and this large black woman was the one that delivered the news. But reality had sunk in quickly and she felt faint all over again.

“Mother isn’t coming back,” she said to herself quietly. “She left me with that strange woman.” In reality, Bethania wasn’t a strange. When Nova was young, Bethania had been her babysitter while Novas mother was off working at a diner. Nova just couldn’t remember the woman though because once she had turned 10, Nova was old enough tot take care for herself and wonder around the neighborhood with the other apartment children.

Nova laid there staring up at the ceiling, noticing a brown water stain in the corner over the door, and then it hit her like wall of water just freed from a dam. Tears filled her blue eyes and she squeezed them shut, but a single tear leaked out to roll down her cheek. She rolled over at this pint to grab a pillow and curl around it and finally cried into it.

In the kitchen, Bethania heard the crying as she sat at the table with a cup of java-juice clutched in one of her large hands. “Nova, go ahead and cry now. You have your future ahead of you and no time to waste.” She lifted the cup to her lips and took a sip and set it down, ready for a night to watching over the young woman.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Three days ago, Nova learned of her mother’s death and slowly got answers out of Bethania. Mother had gotten sick, some virus that Humans couldn’t handle. It had weakened her slowly at first, and her joints swelled, making moving hard for her. She had called Bethania back, trusting the woman to take care of both her and Nova, once she had passed. Messages had been sent for Nova, but the man in charge of the prison had refused to deliver it. No one else tried to send Nova any word from home after that.
“Nova, breakfast in ten minutes. It would really make me feel better if you had more than a piece of toast today.” Bethania’s voice drifted down the hallway and into Nova’s room. She was laying on her stomach, a plain tee shirt covering her torso and a pair of linen shorts. She pressed her face into the pillow and gave a short scream. This was a battle now between her and Bethania. Between crying and sitting around the apartment like a useless lump of flesh, Nova had no interest in eating. She was thin already from the meager meals in prison, but refusing to eat once home had been worse. After being force fed a couple of spoonfuls of some soup, Nova was slowly loosing the battle and had begun feeding herself. Of course it was no more than one egg or a piece of toast at a time, but Bethania seemed pleased with that.

“Nova, now!” The voice was louder and cleared this time, like Bethania was standing in the hallway. Nova got up with a resentful sigh and pulled open the door, glaring at the older woman.

“Fine, I’m up… but I won’t eat today.” She dragged her feet as she moved down the hallway and into the kitchen. There was only one light on and the morning news was on and the volume was really low, but still audible.

“Nova, you can’t keep on like this. There are much better things that you can do with your life.” Bethania had come back into the kitchen now and was preparing a plate for Nova. Two pieces of toast and a small pile of eggs sprinkles with some pepper. “Here you go. Please eat at least half of it today and I won’t say any more about it until dinner.”

Nova looked up at her and narrowed her eyes, but she pulled the plate closer to her and started pushing the eggs around. She finally took a bite and chewed loudly, staring at Bethania. She put her fork down now and looked at the toast that was on her plate. Her eye twitched slightly and she stacked one on top of the other and placed them beside the plate right on the table. She fixed the paper napkin, making sure it was parallel to the plate and then continued eating.

“That is so much better. I made more just in case…” she smiled a little now as she watched Nova clean her plate off, literally. “How are you doing today?” Bethania asked this every morning, each time she got the same reply, a blank stare and a couple of tears. This morning, she got a shrug out of Nova.

“Alright I guess. Better than yesterday I think.” There was a loud crunch as Nova but into the unbuttered toast. “Can I go visit her today?” All was silent in the kitchen.

“I think that we can. Do you want to stop and get something to put at her grave?” Nova shook her head and looked at the toast in her hand.

“No, I just want to go and see her, to say good bye.” Bethania nodded. It was understandable. Nova had not seen her mother in a little less than a year.

“Okay, well then you should get showered and clean up. And I mean no offense in saying this, but you look like a walking corpse.” Novas eyes stung just a little bit, but she smiled.

“Yeah, you’re right. I saw myself in the mirror. I didn’t look so good.” She had now finished all but half a piece of toast and she felt bloated, but in a good way. Like she just had a really good meal. Nova stood up now and scratched her head, remembering how long her hair had gotten during her stay. Usually it was cut short, just barely hanging past her chin and it would be even shorter in the back. At the moment though, it hung in thick strings that brushed her shoulders. Before going into the bathroom, she had moved to one of the draws and found a pair of scissors and then disappeared into the bathroom.

xxxxxxxxxxx

“Bethania, listen to me, you need to start hinting at the idea of professional hacking”

“Sir, I don’t think that we can be considered a professional business, I think that you know that.” Bethania was sitting in front of the holo display an d a small computer was hooked up to the terminal to help make the long distance call.

“Yes, I know that, but you do get paid for what you do for us. Not to mention we pay for the best equipment we can afford. There is no reason to let any member of our crew be unhealthy.” He was trying to remain calm, but ever since Bethania had come back and told him about this little girl with all of the potential, the captain could not wait to get her hands on the girl.

“Just make sure she finds a way to us. She has to do this for herself.” Bethania nodded, and then remembered that she could not be seen. This was just a sound transmission.

“Yes sir, I’ll make sure that she finds a way to you, though you could help us a little. Perhaps a small robbery that would get onto the news over here?”

“Alright, I’ll see what we can do.” The transmission was cut off now and all that could be heard was static. She unhooked her computer and set it with her things in the small living room. By the time she made it back to the kitchen, nova was back in there, dressed and almost ready to go. Her hair was dripping wet and considerably shorter.

“Nova, your hair is soaking wet, dry it.” Nova glared at her as she threw the scissors she had used to cut her hair back into the drawer.

“I already ate for you today, lets just go. Besides, aren’t we walking? It will dry on the way.” Bethania sighed and nodded and motioned to the door.

“Let’s go then, we have a long ways to go.”

xxxxxxxxxxx

The walk wasn’t all that bad and Nova enjoyed the walk through familiar neighborhoods. Bethania walked beside her pointing out a couple of things to her that had changed while Nova was in jail. Before long, they had arrived at the crematorium where all the ashes of the dead were placed in a cement box and then placed in the wall.

“No, you go ahead, I’ll be here waiting for you” Bethania stopped now, sitting on the low stone bench near the large clear doors at the entrance. Nova nodded.

“Okay, I won’t be long.”

“You take as much time as you need.”

Nova now approached the long wall that was divided up into sections roughly two feet wide and one foot tall. There was a brass plaque on each one bearing a name and dates. Sometimes there was an inscription as well, but for the most part, they were all the same. Nova was silent and no tears fell, for now. She had cried enough already and hope that she wouldn’t today. She was trying to move on with her life. It would have been impossible to do so if she stayed in bed all day.

Bethania watched as Nova looked for her mother little space in the wall and stood up. She had rested enough and she would slowly catch up. She was hallway between Nova and the door now and Nova stopped. She had found it. Bethania could see her kneel down and her fingers brush the brass plate lowest to the ground. Those spaces were reserved for those with the least amount of money, or humans, whichever came first.

“Mother,” Nova whispered, her fingers tracing the neat and uniform letters. “I miss you, but you know that I’m sure. Wherever you are. They let me out for good behavior. That’s what they are calling that at least.” She stopped now and sat down entirely, crossing her legs underneath her.

“I don’t know what I can do now. I’m a convicted criminal, no one would give me a job. And I don’t want to work for the government, it’s not enough of a challenge for me.” She had looked away now and up into the tall, arched ceilings. “I want more. I want to be an important part of something. Everything is too easy here.”

Bethania walked slowly, trying to prolong Novas time there. She also tried to ignore the confessions of this young woman to a box of ashes imbedded into a wall. If Nova wanted a challenge, Bethania knew many things that would push Nova to her limits. Bethania stopped in mid step now, realizing that this was the perfect opportunity to plant the seed of an idea in Novas mind, where it would grow and bloom and become something that would be hard to ignore.

“You know,” Bethania began casually “I know of something that you would never be able to do.” She looked down at Nova with a slight smile. Nova looked up at her, half of her face was hidden by her hair though.
“You don’t think I can do what you do? What is it that you do exactly?” Nova could not recall even asking what Bethania did for a living, if she did anything at all. Besides, the woman was old, which was clear on her face. What sort of business would still have someone like Bethania on their staff? Nothing came to mind at first so Nova rose.

“I can do whatever I want and do it at least ten times better than you” That was a bluff of course, considering Nova had no idea what Bethania did. She did not let it show though.

“Well, you keep thinking that and decide whether you can do it or not once you actually figure out what it is that I do.” Bathania motioned to the door, letting Nova that it was time to go. That was fine with Nova. She wanted to go home anyways and finally start working on her computer again.

xxxxxxxxxxx

It was late into the night now and Nova had several empty Java cans on her desk. Nova blinked and sat back in her chair as she rubbed her eyes. The back of it rolled back and startled her and she jerked forward.

“s**t! Stupid chair, I forgot it had done that.” She muttered angrily for less than a minute before starting to work again. She had several pages opened at once floating around on her terminal display. If it had the name ‘Bethania’ in it, it was open. Granted, there weren’t many. Mostly the pages were official reports, from police forces and governments, but they did help a lot. One though was unread. From her first scan of the report, a few words had caught her eye.

Nova rolled across her room in her chair and reached into the cooler to grab another drink and ten returned, with half the can already gone. She brought this new report forward in the display for easier reading. So far, all she got was that Bethania was some sort of doctor, and a member of the Preyon race. That of course put her on edge. What if she was the one that had attacked the vital systems here on Castillo, but Nova quickly pushed that from her mind. Bethania was a doctor, she took care of people. She didn’t kill them. This new report seemed promising though. Anything that mentioned pirates was worth reading. Pirates, both deep space and planetary, had caused more than enough trouble to get an entire planet onto them. From further searching, a specific band of pirates had come up. The Skull Wings

“Interesting… Bethania, I think you have been a bad girl, a very bad girl.” Robbery, murder, organized crime. Anything that Nova could possibly imagine, which was a lot, was listed on this report. So, this woman’s business was piracy with the most famous and untouchable band of pirates known. Well, Nova hadn’t heard of them really, but apparently the rest of the universe did. Another search was conducted and more was learned.

This particular group had many connections on various planets with different mobs and gangs. Their heists were mostly on luxury passenger ships traveling in deep space, on their way to some exotic location. They also carried black market cargo that would cost billions of credits. This sounded more like a corporate business that didn’t like playing by the rules, and the man that ran it all was said to have been in the Armada.

“They sure do know what they are doing, and Bathania must be tougher than she looks to run with this sort of crowd.” Nova took another swig out of the can beside her and sat back, this time being careful not to lean too far.

“This sounds elite. I wonder if they hold auditions for crew positions.” She laughed out loud and she heard Bethania grumble loudly and shout for Nova to go to bed. She clapped her hands over her mouth but she still shook with silent laughter. When she finally stopped, she was smug and confident that she could meet any requirements to be part of the best pirates known.

“I will find you,” she muttered to the display as she stood up, now ready to at least lie down. Her room was still filled with the blue glow of the display. Through the window, she could see the night growing lighter. She rolled over on her side, facign away from her computer. “I will find you all, and I will be the best of everyone. Just watch.”
When Bethania woke up, Nova was asleep, curled into a fetal position onto of her covers. Her computer display was on and Bethania thought she would be nice and turn it off for her, to save power and to dim the light in the room. When she saw what was open, Bethania smiled. So Nova had found her out, and she had found the Skull Wings. Hopefully they would be easily found when Nova started searching. She prayed to her gods silently before moving to leave. She noticed the empty Java cans, pushed to the beck edge of Novas desk sitting evenly spaced and facing they same way. There was one sitting by the keyboard, opened but not yet empty.

“What a strange girl.” She picked all of them up and left finally.

Nova moved, making up slowly from her deep, and all to short, sleep. She heard the clang of metal cans and a door trying to be closed silently. The creak gave it away.

“Dammit, Bethania, I’m trying to sleep,” she muttered and reached for a pillow to throw over her head. She jerked upwards suddenly, her eyes wide and her heart beating quickly. Bethania was in my room, she saw the computer. I don’t want her knowing….

She got up quickly, and looked at the terminal. Everything was as it should have been. The way she had left it when she finally lay down earlier that morning with the exception that her empty Java cans were gone. She gave a sigh and hung her head. Her hair fell around her face like a curtain, hiding her room from her view.

“Alright, so now all I have to do is find the ship, but how. I can’t fly all across the universe, I don’t know how to fly….” She talked to herself only for a moment before falling silent, running possibilities through her mind. She lifted her head now and looked at the display one more time. She highlighted one section of the text she had just read and grinned. “The black market. But first, fuel. She shut off the display and left the room, not completely sure that she heard Bethania making breakfast.

xxxxxxxxxxx

She took her breakfast to go this morning. For two days in a row, she had eaten all of her breakfast in less than a minute and then disappeared into her room. Bethania just gave up and came into the room with Novas plate and set it on the desk so Nova could eat when she woke up. It was now a week after she had begun her searches for the Skull Wings and the tracking for all of their black market affairs. Nova was nowhere near close to finding them and she was getting frustrated. Bethania was equally as frustrated. Although Nova never spoke of what she did, Bethania was anxious to get back to the ship and her medical ward where she felt safe. She wanted to throw Nova into a shuttle and take her to the captain herself. Her orders were clear however, help her without being caught.

“Sir, she is getting nowhere. She has started tracking our movements via the black markets. Considerign we haven’t made a run in three months, there is no way she can find you.”

“What do you expect me to do Bethania, make an order just so she can find us?!”

“It will help. She’s stuck and getting frustrated. She won’t give up but she won’t get anywhere. The black market is her only lead to us.”

“Fine, I will place an order, we need some more fuel anyways. I’ll be at the docks in less than three hours, make sure she is still searching then, there will be a big order.”

“Yes sir. We will see you soon then.”

Bethania cut off the call and put a hand over her face. The captain could be so frustrating sometimes. It was his stubbornness that would anger his crew, but nothing was ever said or done to make the captain angry for fear of his punishments, which were usually cruel and mentally draining.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Nove stood gazing out of the window at a small group of kids kicking a ball against an alley wall when the alarm on her computer went off. A purchase had been made. She rushed to the computer, not bothering to sit down, and watched a live feed of data as it went into the market systems.

“Ah ha! I’ve got you now!” She looked at the cargo shuttle schedule and found a new booking heading to the floating docks for the cargo ships. She hardly had any time and if she hurried she would just barely make the launch for the shuttle.

Bethania had received and incoming message. Get to the ship as soon as possible. We leave in one hour. If you are not on board, we leave without you. Bethania quickly packed her things and went to Novas room. She found the door open on just a crack and she peered inside. There was a flurry of movement as Nova threw clothes into a bag and packed up her computer and all of its components. Nova had found them though how she would get to the ship, Bethania didn’t know. She returned to the kitchen where she listened to the news until Nova came in.

“Bethania,” Nova set down heavily in the chair across form her. There was a large duffle bag on the floor beside Nova.

“I really appreciate you taking care of me and the house, but I have to move on. You are welcome to stay if you like, but I won’t be back for a long time.” Bethania feigned surprise and sadness.

“But you are so young! How can you go out and live on your own and as a human no less. You know it will be a hard life.” Nov nodded.

“Of course I know, but there is nothing left for me here except a safe house if I ever need it. But I have to go or I’m going to be too late.” She stood up now, taking the back with her. Bethania heard the front door slide open, but before it was shut, Nova shouted.

“Thank you for everything Bethania!” And Nova was gone just like that. Bethania waited for a few minutes and left herself. Shutting everything off and leaving the apartment as it was.

xxxxxxxxxxx

She had just barely made it, the doors were closing already and she sprinted forward and jumped into the cargo hold. She could feel the short rush of air before the doors completely sealed and she let out a sigh of relief, not realizing she had been holding her breath the entire time. She sat up now, checking herself for any injuries, noting a few scrapes along her arms and she could feel the dull ache on her thigh from landing on a bold on the floor.

Around her, there were crates that were all neatly labeled with the same word. ‘Caution’ they said and inside there were apparently some volatile chemicals. What could they need these for, she thought to herself. She had to hide quickly and thoroughly so they wouldn’t find her when the doors open. She tried lifting the lids of the crates herself and found that they came up easily. She opened a second and started moving the chemicals until Nova was sure she would not be blown up if she stepped into the crate. Her bag went in first and then she crammed herself inside, closing the lid behind her.

Bethania had barely noticed her, but as she moved along the waiting shuttles, she noticed Nova sneaking behind crates and into crowds. They would be on the same shuttle, and by the looks of it, Nova wasn’t one of the registered passengers. Bethania was on the ship before she could see that Nova was safely inside, but just before take off, she heard a banging from inside the cargo hold of the shuttle. She was in.

The take off was smooth and the ride was short, still Nova was cramped and not all too thrilled with the smell that had surrounded her. These crates had been used before, and by something that reeked. Before she knew it though, she felt the bump of landing and heard the door opened. There was a familiar voice and Novas’ eyes opened wide.

“I can take it from here, go over that way and someone will sign for this. And thanks for letting me on last minute. I missed my home.” Nova could hear the smile in Bethanias voice and the sound of someone leaving. There was shoes scuffing against the metal floor and a crate was opened. This time, the sounds of footsteps were closer and light flooded in as well as welcome fresh air.

“Well, well, well, look what we have here. Nova found me out and now she’s a stow away. Imagine that.” Nova put on a brave face. Bethania did not scare her. What terrified her though was facing the captain. Bethania offered a hand to help Nova out and she took the offer with a grateful smile. Nova retrieved her bag and followed Bethania out into the largest cargo bay she had ever seen. There were ships all around, the majority of them sat there without a pilot nearby or even a pit crew, and others had just come in and the pilots were climbing out. It was beautiful and Nova forgot all fear. This was her future.
Bethania had led nova through the cargo bay, avoiding most of the beautiful chaos that Nova wished to go immerse herself in, and passing through a door that slid open rapidly.

“It’s to the captain for you. I suggest you learn these hallways well Nova. You will be here for a little while. We’ve just taken off from the docks and there is no going back now.” Nova followed Bethania, taking note of corridor numbers as she came to them. There was no way for Nova to get a sense of scale for this ship. All of the corridors she was going through were a normal size. It wasn’t until they entered the lift that Nova realized how big this ship was. Had pirates no occupied it, this would be considered a passenger liner, with a full sized kitchen even and two floors of living quarters. She knew all of this by the concise labels located next to each of the fifteen buttons.

Their ride was longer than expected. The lift was slow, but smooth and they had to travel from floor fifteen to six. She took this time to try and squeeze information out of Bethania.

“So, how did you know that I was hiding out on that shuttle? And you don’t seem too upset that I snuck onto this ship.” She leaned up against one of the walls, each of her hands finding a rail to support herself. She looked utterly calm and unfazed by the sheer size of this ship. Bethania smiled, knowing that first meetings with the captain had left many members of the crew running away with their tails between their legs.

She lift came to a halt and Nova only lurched forward slightly as she lost her balance, Bethania remained standing, her hands clasped behind her back and her feet set shoulder width apart. She looked like a soldier in the Armada.

“I have very good hearing as well as an excellent sense of smell. After three days of you not showering, I would know your scent from miles away.” Nova glared at Bethanias back as she followed her down the hallway.

This time, the metal walls were not cold and unwelcoming. There was something organic to all of the lines and shapes, and not one corner was squared off, instead, they curved gently into the next face of a wall. They turned down another hallway that was much wider than Nova had expected, and at the very end was a round door set deep into the wall. It had a jagged break in the middle, making room for the large logo of a skull and crossbones with two sets of feathered wings.

“The captain’s quarters. You are on your own from here. All that I will tell you is don’t upset him.” Bethania pushed Nova forward, who then turned around and cocked her head.

“I don’t know what his limits are until I test them.” With that, she turned around smiling to pass through the door which had slid open to allow her into a room with a breathtaking view.

Of course only the captain would have a room as large as this all to himself. It also provided the best view of the inky black vista that was splattered with stars that were light-years away. It was beautiful and it left Nova speechless. It wasn’t until someone cleared their throat did Nova notice this was the perfect backdrop for someone sitting at a desk.

“Don’ t just stand there blocking my doorway. There are much more important people that will be coming in and out of this room.” Nova hesitated, taking a step back and then two steps forward.

“You are either in or out girl. If you leave, I leave you at the mercy of my crew until we stop again for refueling.” A smile crept across this mans face and Nova shivered, mustering her courage and went further into the room and did not stop until the captain suggested that she sit down. Apparently she had walked past a chair. She swallowed hard and felt heat rising in her cheeks form embarrassment.

The captain was a handsome man with dark hair that had been pulled back at the base of his neck. And across his left eye, there was a pink jagged scar. That was the only flaw on this grim, yet beautiful face. It was the way he held himself, and spoke that kept her silent. She would heed Bethanias warning to not anger this captain, because she had no doubts that he could cause Novas life to become a living hell.

“There is no need for you to speak at the moment, just listen. I know that you have come aboard this ship as a stow away. There is very little that I don’t know and I have connections everywhere as you have no doubt found out already. Had you been any other person besides Diana Montague, you would have been forcefully carried to the prisoners cells and held until we could dump you off at the most convenient time.” He paused now to adjust a few trinkets on his desk and then take a small sip from a water glass on his desk.

“You are a bright girl and because of that, I extend my invitation to you to join this crew. This is not merely a matter of saying ‘yes please’ or ‘no thank you’. You decide whether you want to go through the training and trials. I will challenge you to the best of your abilities and beyond because this crew is nothing but the best.” Nova shifted in her seat, not relaxing a little. It was a wonderful speech that he had given, but it lacked one thing. Nova, don’t do it. Don’t screw up. She had to warn herself but as always, she had to see where that line was.

“Wow, that was… very moving, however, I find that it would be impossible for me to work for someone whose name I don’t even know. Frankly, this lack of manners makes me wonder if you are any different from the usual drooling band of thugs that like to call themselves pirates.” She set the captain with a confident stare, issuing a challenge. I dare you to break me, it said. The captain flushed with anger but that was all. Nova made a note that insults were a wonderful way to toy with this man.

“I will not tell you what we are, instead you can see for yourself. As for what you may call me, it will always be Sir, or Captain, nothing else. Ask the other crew members for my name, but if I hear you address me as such, you will be punished.” Nova kept her cool as the captain stared her down.

“Now, if I were to accept your offer for training and whatnot, where would I sleep, surely not the prisoners cells.” She was treating this as if they were talking about the weather.

“You will stay with my first mate so you stay out of trouble.” He pressed a button on the edge of his desk. There was a brief moment of static and a clear female voice.

“Is she here, Sir?” The voice was female and nova smiled. He had a secretary as well.

“Yes, Cyna. Come in and get her. She is staying with you. Make sure she stays out of trouble. Tomorrow she starts with the tech squad.”

“Your first mate is a woman?” Nova asked. It was curiosity that drove her to ask this obvious question, not to mock the captain. He apparently took it as the latter.

“Yes a woman, and the best fighter that we have. No, I want you out of my sight. We will meet again tomorrow.” The door slid open behind her and the annoying sound of high heels against metal floors met her ears. She cringes slightly before standing up to meet her new roommate. Cyna was gorgeous and it made Nova wonder whether she used her looks to get herself the position of First Mate.

Nova made a note that Cyna was no taller than herself, but her entire body seemed to be made of muscle, not overly toned, but Nova could tall that Cyna was strong. Her hair was shockingly white and pulled back in a tight pony tail.

“Well, let’s go then, the captain has lots of business to attend to, and we have to get you settled into my room.” Cyna was kind and Nova took that to mean that leniency would come from her and not the captain. She also spoke to Nova like an equal, asking for her to move to of the captains’ office rather than demanding it. Nova was more than willing to comply and they left with Cyna leading the way.

They walked down more of the friendly halls and into another hallway similar to the one that had lead to the captain’s quarters. This door was square and seemed to slide as one entire piece rather than split in two. There was a scanner off to the side and Nova was instructed to place her hand on the scanner.

“This is your room until Cain gives your ranking. You and I are the only ones that can get inside unless you have an override code. I’ve heard you are a hacker, so if you happen to figure it out, don’t give it to anyone.” She smiled kindly as the scanner had finished storing Novas fingerprints and the door slid open. The room wasn’t as large, but it was divided into smaller sections with translucent walls. The bathroom was the only separate room with its own door.

“Bedroom, work area and bathroom.” Cyna pointed to the sections as she called them off. “I keep the room clean I expect you to do the same. Someone will bring in an extra mattress and bedding for you later”

Nova wandered further into the room, deciding that she liked it. It was most definitely clean enough, but the small desk was cluttered and she felt the urge to organize it. She set her duffle on the chase that sat in front of the window that had curtains drawn over it.

“Will you be showing me around the ship? I only know how to get form the docking bay to here.” Nova had started removing her worn out leather gloves as she spoke and put those into a pocket on her duffle.

“No, I have to go and make my rounds before dinner. Cassius will show you around and be in charge of your training.” She shivered slightly and reached up to smooth her hair as she said the name. “His temper is worse than the captains when someone pushes him far enough. He is patient though and a good teacher.” She rocked forward on the balls of her feet, the hells of her boots lifting off the ground briefly.

“Well, you make yourself at home. He will be by shortly to show you around.” Nova nodded now and fell back onto the chase, shoving her bag aside to make room. Her home for who knows how long.
A week had passed since Novas arrival on the Aurora. She had quickly learned that the ship had been named by the captain for a meteoric phenomenon that occurred frequently on earth. Nova conducted a quick research project and determined that it was a good name for the ship. Nova has also met Cassius, who was now her constant companion when she was not in her room.

Cassius turned out to be large man with broad shoulders and bulging muscles. An intimidating person made out to be even more fearsome than he already was thanks to the lack of hair on his head and the curling tattoos that snaked around his neck and head. His face was clear of any mark and his eyes were solid black as far as Nova could tell. Despite his appearance, he was very calm and patient and Cyna had told her. His deep rumbling voice had never frightened Nova because his words were always encouraging.

He taught her how to fight properly and defend herself and Nova found that she had muscles that she didn’t know existed until now. She always went to bed aching and tired, but never wishing that she could take a break for one day. She also learned the ways of the crew and how they interacted together. There was always order and communication, even when no words were spoken. The Skull Wings were far more organized than Nova had expected and they seemed to be the largest family she had ever known.

xxxxxxxxxxx

“No! Always bring your fist back to protect your face!” Cassius was standing behind a heavy punching bag, keeping it still as Nova jabbed at it with her taped up fists. Occasionally, Cassius would swing his arm out and pushed Novas head to one side. She was supposed to block it but she was being lazy today, and Cassius called her out on it many times already.

“I know! Just give me a break, okay? It’s not like I’m going to go and have a fist fight in the middle of space.” Cassius shoved the punching bag forward and Nova jumped back.

“That is not the point. You need to be as strong as you possibly can and in the event that you do need to defend yourself, you will know how. You little street fights on Castillo were nothing compared to what could possibly happen to you now. You need to be ready.” He had started to remove the tape that was around his hands now that he could tell Nova was done.

“Well I’m done for today, so don’t try to get me started again.” She sat down now, wiping her face with a towel and downing a few gulps of water. Her blue eyes followed Cassius as he too sat down and just breathed calmly for a few minutes.

“There is a skirmish today. You won’t be fighting in it, but before you are given rank, you will have to fight someone.” Nova looked at him, startled. After silence, hearing Cassius speak was like hearing a sudden explosion. The captain held the skirmishes not only to keep the entire crew on their toes, but to allow an opportunity to settle bets and arguments and also for crew members to challenge each other for rank.

“Well that’s good to know.” She sat back now, tilting her head back to look up at the fluorescent lights above. “I wouldn’t be able to fight today anyways. You saw me,” she motioned towards the punching bag. “I couldn’t keep my arm up!”

Nova rolled her eyes now and stood up. She wouldn’t give Cassius the chance to lecture her again. By far, he was her favorite of all the higher officers, and she considered him to be a friend, but he was like the older brother she never had. He expected so much out of her and she felt inadequate when she couldn’t perform up to his expectations.

“I’ll see you later then,” she said as she waited for the door to open for her.

“I’ll meet you at the mess hall since you don’t know where to go.” Nova waved as the door closed behind her. Cassius sighed in frustration. The bad thing about people so young, especially women as he had found out with Nova, they were strong willed and always thought they were right. Nova was doing well however. She would never be like Cyna, or himself, who were of a different species and were raised learning how to fight.

He checked the time display and got up. He should relax now before it was time to go. Surely that’s what everyone was doing, except the ones that would loose today because they had worn themselves out even before they had begun their fights.

xxxxxxxxxxx

She was bubbling with anticipation now even though she was calm on the outside. What apparently used to be a ballroom had been turned into a small arena with entrances on both sides. She had already seen two fights and they were easily won, one contestant having been stronger than the other. Cassius walked her to where she was supposed to enter while he went off somewhere else. Apparently he was fighting today.

The large display hanging above the floor flashed with two new pictures. First it was Cassius, and then the first mate. The crew cheered, chanting one name or the other, but most just really wanted to see their superior officers beat the crap out of each other.

Nova rolled her eyes and looked back down at her computer in her lap. If she were to be given rank and a job to do, it would most likely be the tech squad who worked in the nerve center of the entire ship, and where the captain usually was when he wasn’t in his room. The command deck fascinated her and she was determined to have that be where she would work. She was running new programs, eliminating which didn’t work and developing the ones shat showed promise.

Now Cassius and Cyna were out on the floor, each stretching out and warming up as they approached each other in the center. Nova looked up and smirked. If she thought that Cyna looked provocative in her uniform, this seemed to be worse despite its simplicity. A plain black tank top and loose pants to allow movement. As she turned, she could see a tattoo span across her upper back, from shoulder to shoulder. She seemed catlike in her movements and even from her seat so far away from the arena floor, her eyes never left Cassius.

He seemed anxious and frustrated at the same time. Nova had seen the tension between them. Cyna always ended up storming out of a room in frustration because Cassius refused to give in to her. At this moment though, it seemed that Cassius would give in. They circled around each other, not wanting to strike just yet. Cyna was impatient though, Nova had learned that quickly, and growled as she lunged at Cassius, landing a blow to the side of his neck. Nova winced but he looked as if nothing had happened. His arm shot out, she ducked and Cassius quickly shifted his weight to kick her. The blow landed in her stomach and she was doubled over for a moment before rushing forward again.

This time, Cassius caught her around the middle and tossed her over his shoulder. Her legs were kicking, but not to hurt him. They appeared to be talking now. Cyna shrieked and her words were heard over the shouting of the crew. ‘Let me down!’ Cassius complied and just dropped her onto the floor.

The fight continued this way for several minutes and they both had begun to look tired and frustrated. There was also a lot of talking going on, increasing the frustration. Nova had abandoned her computer several minutes ago to watch. She was not an expert on seduction in any way, but she could tell that Cyna was using this opportunity to practically throw herself at Cassius. They were throwing vicious punches at each other and didn’t hold back as their legs kicked out. Nova had not yet started cheering, but she was standing up with the rest of the crowd. And quite suddenly, the punching had stopped. Cyna was in Cassius’ arms. The crows booed even though they were kissing and putting on quite a show down on the arena floor. It wasn’t long before the captain had come out to start yelling at them. They left quickly while the captain stayed.

“Alright, clearly we all have something else better to do. I suggest you all leave and get back to work.” Cain was angry and Cyna and Cassius would receive more of a punishment than a tongue lashing later. Nova left with the rest of the crew, watching Cain as he stood in the middle of the arena. Nova stopped now and faced him. They made eye contact for a few seconds. Nova wanted a chance to fight as well, it was Cain though who had flat out refused to let her fight, despite Cassius saying that she was ready.

Give me something meaningful to do, she thought. Let me be part of the crew and let me fight with them. They already know me and accept me. Cain looked away now and Nova smiled slightly.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Nova had gone from the arena to the mess hall to grab a quick bite to eat. As usual, there wasn’t much of an option when it cam eat snacks. Lunch had passed and dinner was already being prepared for later that evening. She wandered down the halls, sipping from a cup of soup as she looked over some note on her hand held regarding the tech squad on the ship.

Her movements were automatic. She never glanced up once unless she head footsteps other than her own. She passed the captains room and then turned the corner to enter the room that she shared with Cyna. She pocketed her hand held and placed her hand flat against the scanner. There was a momentary pause before the door slid open. She had not expected to find what she saw now. The neat room had practically been torn apart and there were sounds coming from the room that made Nova blush. She had walked in on something rather private.

“Um… Cyna?” Nova stayed put in the doorway, even though the computer announced over and over again that there was an obstruction preventing the door from closing.

There was some cursing and the rustling of sheets before Cyna had stormed around the partitions. Her hair was loose and tousled and her cheeks were flushed with either anger or something else.

“What do you want?!” She snapped. She clutched the sheet around her tightly, sufficiently covering herself up. “Obviously I’m busy.” At this point Nova giggled and tried to hide behind her hand.

“Yes, obviously very busy. I do suggest not wearing yourself out too much.” Nova could have been given three chances to guess who was waiting in the bed for Cyna, probably annoyed as well.

Cyna roared and Nova backed away. “GET OUT!” Nova grinned and stepped back even more. This time it was Cyna that was preventing the door from closing.

“Tell Cassius I said hello.” With that, she left. She was still red in the face from embarrassment and realizing that she really had nowhere to sleep tonight. She shrugged it off and continued to drink her soup as she wandered down hallways and down to other floors.

She was far from lost. If she wanted to get anywhere, she had her handheld in her pocket and her computer in the bag that was hanging over her shoulder. All it would take was to link up to the ships computer to figure out where she was and how to get back. She stepped into another lift and pressed the button for what would be considered the first floor in the underbelly of the ship. This was where the true cargo hold of the ship was as well as the engine rooms where the mysterious mechanics were.

xxxxxxxxxxx

The engine lay in pieces in front of him and they were slowly and carefully being put back together, each piece inspected for any flaw that would impair performance. He picked up a combustion ring and inspected it carefully.

Marek had been the only person on the ship that was under thirty for a long time, until Nova had come a long. He rarely had anything to do with new arrivals on the ship, his business was engines, and making sure that everything was working as it should be. He did hear about Nova though. A genius that had been recruited off of some small trading planet. He merely shrugged it off, knowing that if she had passed the tests, she wouldn’t be down here where it was greasy and hot.

He carefully put the ring into place and reached for his small torch as he brought down the shade on his headgear to protect his eyes. The torch sparked and there was a large flash as the ring had done its job, soldering two of the engine parts back together in a few short seconds. He flipped the shade back up and stood up to stretch. He had thought for a moment that his chair had merely rolled back, but in fact, the door had slid open and his violently green eyes looked over.

“Well that’s new…” he muttered. He could immediately tell that this was the new trainee. She looked utterly lost and too clean to belong down here.

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t realize what room this was. No sign outside.” Nova smiled and looked around, taking in the sight of the large hydrogen engine that sat in the middle of the room. Steam spurted out at random intervals as the water passed through the pipes to undergo electrolysis. The heat was amazing and already Nova found sweat forming on her face.

“There is a reason for it. You aren’t allowed in here.” Marek seemed defensive, as if Nova had intruded on something that was private and personal.

“Is someone going to arrest me and throw me in the brig?” She laughed and crossed her arms. “I’ve been kicked out of my room by a couple of lovebirds and I haven’t been given a chance to explore the ship.”

“Well go explore somewhere else, I’m very busy.” Marek sat back down to continue work on the small hydrogen engine that powered the Stingers. Nova wandered over and looked over his shoulder at what he was working on.

“So, my name is Nova. I assume you have one also, but I’ll ignore your lapse in manners for the moment. This is fascinating, what does this do?” She had picked up another combustion ring and studied it.

“It’s a combustion ring. Solders seams together inside the engines. I made them specifically for this.” Marek spoke proudly now, as if showing of his baby to friends and coworkers.

“Very interesting... And there is hardly any hint of a seam left?” she picked up what he was working on and inspected it, inside and out. She placed it back on the table carefully and looked around. Nova happened to notice there was a cot off to the side, as far away from the heat source as possible.

“Do you ever leave this place?” Nova could not recall ever seeing this person before, either in the hallways or the mess hall. Surely he had his own room somewhere on the ship. Marek did not look up. Instead, he had started working on the engine again.

“My name is Marek, I was the youngest person on this ship until you came along and no. I don’t leave very often.” He seemed annoyed while in fact, he was trying not to look at Nova in hopes that it would stop the urge to show off.

“That doesn’t leave much room for social interaction then.” She had noticed that he was moving around as if he wanted to get away. She smiled kindly though and turned to leave.

“You know, as much as the rest of the crew fascinates me, I would appreciate some younger company.” Marek looked up now and smiled as well.

“Maybe you can come back later?” He had asked more than suggested it and Nova shrugged.

“Engines aren’t my thing. I’m more into computers.” She waved before slipping out of the door. “I’ll catch you later then.” Marek sat back in his chair now, still watching the door. He had let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding, and he grinned.

“Wow,” he said in an amazed voice. Nova was the second woman on this ship, but the first one that seemed to be within reach. Yes, Cyna was free to do as she pleased, my Marek was just a mechanic, and there was no chance that the first mate would even glance in his direction.

“Nova, I think that maybe you and I could be friends…”
Just a little random info that doesn't fit in with the first post.

The image that is up there is one that I created. I credited the right people for the elements that I used and all three people are on deviantart.com where Super Nova can also be found.
I'm bumping to get it up there.... Comment people! Please!
Bumping again. Comment please!
Bumping again.... please? -puppydogeyes-
Fell off the front page.
Bumping to the front page
Okay, one last attempt to get comments, then it's coming down.
Only got through the first post so far. As far as I can tell, nothing wrong with the prose, and it flows well. I also like the artwork at the beginning. 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff