Welcome to Gaia! ::

Let's say you have your instrument in your hands... a guitar (for me), a bass guitar, drums or whatever... and you have to find your own personal Blues. What do you think? How do you feel in order to find it? This is a super hard question, I know. Let me know, I'm curious. eek

OG Gekko

9,575 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Party Animal 100
Dakoom
Let's say you have your instrument in your hands... a guitar (for me), a bass guitar, drums or whatever... and you have to find your own personal Blues. What do you think? How do you feel in order to find it? This is a super hard question, I know. Let me know, I'm curious. eek

tbh I don't even understand what you're trying to ask. Your question is so vague that the only thing i can really tell you rn is 1 flat3 4 sharp4 5 flat7 . dramallama
too cute for the puss
Dakoom

tbh I don't even understand what you're trying to ask. Your question is so vague that the only thing i can really tell you rn is 1 flat3 4 sharp4 5 flat7 . dramallama

Yeah, the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift! I mean that feeling that you have when you know that you have it. I know it's hard to explain. eek
Ok, now I feel stupid. LOL eek
The blues is my favorite genre because it's shamelessly confident, B.B King to me. Nothing can stop a bluesy blues man.

Adult chan's Husband

Friendly Elder

Not that into blues so i look at it from a technical perspective.
Also if i remember correctly a lot of blues players tend to stick to pentatonic scales, but like i said i haven't studied blues composition too much.

I got the blues by getting hit by a train.

Loving Elder

I don't quite know what you mean by that but I'm going to make a hunch and say something along the lines of emotion or feelings towards a piece. How I write or play it? Well it depends on how I feel as a person and what my goal is intended for. It's hard to explain as you say because I build my style with that feeling.
play, feel it or don't. If not, put the guitar down, turn around and pick it up later.

Also distortion and Aeolian scale.
And delay and phaser.
I get in a kinda dancy almost swing kinda feel like i want to dance yet play my instrument at the same time and feel it deep in my soul and grab that feeling and hold it tight.Then let it all go in the music... sweatdrop i hoped that worked
Misfit-outcasts-o-0
I get in a kinda dancy almost swing kinda feel like i want to dance yet play my instrument at the same time and feel it deep in my soul and grab that feeling and hold it tight.Then let it all go in the music... sweatdrop i hoped that worked

Yeah, that is the sensation I was talking about! eek
To play the blues takes a lot of emotion. The blues come from sadness, pain, anger, and occasionally joy. If you don't channel these emotions into your playing then you are not playing the blues. Even if you play all the right scales and play everything perfect from a technical standpoint the blues can only truly come from channeling the hardships in your life into your music.

Heart Explorer

On the topic of emotional connection; it's the sort of thing that is very hard to explain as it's different for everyone. I typically find the most connection with a saudade sort of feeling.
It's also worth noting that the blues, at least in it's typical stylistic sense, might not be the thing that's going to do it for you. I found my emotional connection with a more classical sort of sense, the blues doesn't speak to me at all.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff