Welcome to Gaia! ::

TeaDidikai

Gloss. Pagan & Wiccan Words

A doll to represent a person. It is used in a healing spell, love spells, Hexes (although pins ARE NOT poked into it, that is Voodoo)

That one. And some of us do use pins- even though we do not practice Vuldon or any spelling there of.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you you (or those who do use pins) use those pins for then? I mean, I can imagine that sticking them in the god's poppit to make them feel pain is sort of non-conducive in creating a favourable connection between you and your god, but other than accupuncture, I'm unfamiliar with using pins in a beneficial manner.

That's to say, I can't think of any right now sweatdrop

TeaDidikai
WikiPoppet

A Poppet is a Maiden or Mother Goddess doll. It is used in harvest or other festivals to symbolize the fertility of the Earth and/or Goddess. In some instances, dolls are used to represent the male gender instead of the female (scarecrows and the Wicker Man of the Druids are examples). Poppets are believed to be infused with life by their makers. The doll is a "little life," symbolic of the inner person. Poppets are used in healing, fertility, and binding spells. In magick, the doll can be made from a craved root, grain or corn shafts, fruits such as an apple or lemon, paper, wax, a potato, clay, branches, or a cloth image stuffed with herbs. The use of poppets is known as "image magick." They are also known as Corn Dollies, Poppits, and Pippies.
confused When did they start calling those Poppits.

It's Wiki. There's the chance that whoever wrote that isn't exactly being truthful (on purpose or not). Some people can't stand other ideas on 'their' page, as a certain Rei can attest to if one mentions both wiki and Evangelion in one breath.

If it is true, though, then I'm afraid I'll have to owe you the answer, as the page didn't show any dates, and I don't have enough knowledge on the subject.
Pfft. I have absolutely no skillz with anything useful or artistic whatsoever.

I can't sew, I can't paint, I can't draw, I can't make model thingies, I can't do anything. crying The only thing I can do (And not well, I might add) is writing stories.

Anyway, I've just about exhausted my resources of books that I ordered off of Ebay a long while ago... And I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions on books I should get? Christmas is coming up for me, so... xp

So far I have "Gods and Myths of Northern Europe," "The Poetic Edda," "The Prose Edda," "Seven Viking Romances," "The Saga of the Volsungs," and I recently bought "The Sagas of the Icelanders*."

Also, if there are any other things that would be nifty to look into asking for for christmas (Odin and Thor dolls ( whee ), Strange CDs entitled "The Sounds of Thor Crashing Ice Giants," etc.), I'm completely open to suggestions of that sort, too. xd

*Huge book. sweatdrop I don't think I'll finish reading all of the sagas in it any time soon, so I just read them on a "Hmm that looks interesting, maybe I'll read it." basis.
Actumen

Also, if there are any other things that would be nifty to look into asking for for christmas (Odin and Thor dolls ( whee ), Strange CDs entitled "The Sounds of Thor Crashing Ice Giants," etc.), I'm completely open to suggestions of that sort, too. xd

Thor Plushie whee

As for books, what about Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"? I'm still hunting my copy but I've been told that Thor, at least, makes an appearance (if not plays one of the leading roles.. damn now I want my copy xd ) of some sort.
Maze
Actumen

Thor Plushie whee

As for books, what about Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"? I'm still hunting my copy but I've been told that Thor, at least, makes an appearance (if not plays one of the leading roles.. damn now I want my copy xd ) of some sort.
xp I'll check out American Gods, maybe I can get it from the library...

As for the plushie, that's really expensive. gonk I probably have like a $50 christmas limit this year... sweatdrop My brother's school is really, really expensive.
Maze
If you don't mind me asking, what do you you (or those who do use pins) use those pins for then? I mean, I can imagine that sticking them in the god's poppit to make them feel pain is sort of non-conducive in creating a favourable connection between you and your god, but other than accupuncture, I'm unfamiliar with using pins in a beneficial manner.
My plushy of Thor isn't really a "poppit", it's a doll, and not used for magic (except at that one Althing when people forgot the alter image of Thor. Poor stuffed Thor. Spent the whole week on the side lines without getting to go out and play)

Pins are used for inflicting pain, but you can also use them for protection and binding and a host of other things. But then, that's witchcraft, not any solid Asatru practice to my knowledge.

Quote:
TeaDidikai
WikiPoppet

A Poppet is a Maiden or Mother Goddess doll. It is used in harvest or other festivals to symbolize the fertility of the Earth and/or Goddess. In some instances, dolls are used to represent the male gender instead of the female (scarecrows and the Wicker Man of the Druids are examples). Poppets are believed to be infused with life by their makers. The doll is a "little life," symbolic of the inner person. Poppets are used in healing, fertility, and binding spells. In magick, the doll can be made from a craved root, grain or corn shafts, fruits such as an apple or lemon, paper, wax, a potato, clay, branches, or a cloth image stuffed with herbs. The use of poppets is known as "image magick." They are also known as Corn Dollies, Poppits, and Pippies.
confused When did they start calling those Poppits.

It's Wiki. There's the chance that whoever wrote that isn't exactly being truthful (on purpose or not). Some people can't stand other ideas on 'their' page, as a certain Rei can attest to if one mentions both wiki and Evangelion in one breath.

If it is true, though, then I'm afraid I'll have to owe you the answer, as the page didn't show any dates, and I don't have enough knowledge on the subject.
Don't mind me. That's a major aspect of the Slavic spring rites- I've never heard them called poppits before.
Actumen
Pfft. I have absolutely no skillz with anything useful or artistic whatsoever.

I can't sew, I can't paint, I can't draw, I can't make model thingies, I can't do anything. crying The only thing I can do (And not well, I might add) is writing stories.

Anyway, I've just about exhausted my resources of books that I ordered off of Ebay a long while ago... And I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions on books I should get? Christmas is coming up for me, so... xp

So far I have "Gods and Myths of Northern Europe," "The Poetic Edda," "The Prose Edda," "Seven Viking Romances," "The Saga of the Volsungs," and I recently bought "The Sagas of the Icelanders*."

*Huge book. sweatdrop I don't think I'll finish reading all of the sagas in it any time soon, so I just read them on a "Hmm that looks interesting, maybe I'll read it." basis.

Myths of the Norsemen is an excellent read. I still need to get a copy of Our Troth (LINK). That can be a gift to me from me, I suppose. xd
TeaDidikai
My plushy of Thor isn't really a "poppit", it's a doll, and not used for magic (except at that one Althing when people forgot the alter image of Thor. Poor stuffed Thor. Spent the whole week on the side lines without getting to go out and play)

Pins are used for inflicting pain, but you can also use them for protection and binding and a host of other things. But then, that's witchcraft, not any solid Asatru practice to my knowledge.

*nods* As I said in an earlier post, I did some looking, but I couldn't find any indication that something like that was used in Norse history. Runes, spaecraft, seidhirwork and spindling stuffings, yeah, but nothing about that.

Deo or Ulfrikr might know better one way or another, though.

TeaDidikai
Don't mind me. That's a major aspect of the Slavic spring rites- I've never heard them called poppits before.

Well, you're free to change it on the site. Wiki is an optional use page or whatever they call it. Which is part of the reason why the information there is always a bit.. iffy. It's best when verified through other sources. smile
BlueRoseTorn
Myths of the Norsemen is an excellent read. I still need to get a copy of Our Troth (LINK). That can be a gift to me from me, I suppose. xd

That one was mentioned in one of the first pages of the thread, I believe. Got it from over here, where

Deoridhe

As for Our Troth, yes, bring your salt lick. Some of the chapters are excellent, others not so much.

A bit above Deo's quoted words, there are also another number of linked pages people might find interesting.

Heck, if you've got time on your hands, read the entire thread why don't you. smile
Recently I've considered becoming a Lokean, could someone reccomend me some good reads?
citrus_creampuff
Recently I've considered becoming a Lokean, could someone reccomend me some good reads?
God's Dog. But then, that's just me. Lokean beliefs seen outside of the Asatru paredigm.
Maze
Wow. That was the thread that got me interested in Asatru in the first place. heart

And the ironic thing is that I'm now good friends with the guy that made that thread.

Edit: And my last question never got answered! xd I ended up buying a Bellows translation anyway...
Maze
BlueRoseTorn

That one was mentioned in one of the first pages of the thread, I believe. Got it from over here, where

Deoridhe

As for Our Troth, yes, bring your salt lick. Some of the chapters are excellent, others not so much.

A bit above Deo's quoted words, there are also another number of linked pages people might find interesting.

Heck, if you've got time on your hands, read the entire thread why don't you. smile

Damn, must have missed that one. Now I feel like an arse; I usually spot threads of this nature right away. whee
BlueRoseTorn

Damn, must have missed that one. Now I feel like an arse; I usually spot threads of this nature right away. whee

*laughs* Wouldn't waste the time feeling like an arse. Have any idea how far I had to go in posting history just to find that thread?

Yeah, I'm stubborn about inconsequential things xd
Remembrance Day / Veterans' Day / Einherjar Day

Some Asatruar apparently celebrate today as Einherjar Day. Day of the Fallen.

Now, I put up both Remembrance Day and Veteran's Day up there, because it's apparently different if you live in America or the UK and Canada. Remembrance Day in the UK and Canada, Veteran's Day in the US of A. One celebrates the fallen, the other; those left standing.

Over here in the Netherlands? It's St. Maarten's. You know, the dude on the horse from the Christian (folk) tales (if one can call 'em that) who shared his cape with the beggar.

What do we do today? Apart from celebrate another local festivity (carnaval, wahey, official starting time to prepare for the three day booze fest in full costume next year February or so) we have lanterns. We light 'em, and when it's dark (which happens soon enough around this time of year) we head out of town towards the big place outside.

There's wood gathered there. Some dude in a Roman officer get up lights the fire for us. We eat a local type of food prepared especially for the occasion, and we get stripes of charcoal on our faces. For good luck, they say.

And then we watch the bonfire.

And the one across the river where the other village is doing the same.

I was just wondering what you people were doing today. Do you celebrate today as Einherjar day? Or is it just another day in your life?

PS. The celebration of St. Maarten in the manner described above is not wide-spread in our country. This is how we celebrate it down South. In the West, for example, it is celebrated by sending children around the village, where they ask for treats while chanting the song about St. Maarten's bird. We still sing the song, but we have a huge firefest instead.

Which rocks. whee
Oh yeah... Einherjar Day. I didn't even realize today was Veterans' Day, let alone Einherjar Day. I did, however, when we were told that a Veteran was coming to speak with us, go "Hmm... Isn't there some other holiday today?"

Weird story:
So this old guy came to talk to us today, right? Well, he was telling this story about how he landed a Landing Boat on D-Day after tripping it on a dud mine... And then he got the boat back to the original ship it came from.

Now here's the weird part. This was an assembly of kids age 5-14. The guy is quoting exactly what his higher officer said when he brought back the boat. "YOU STUPID SONOFABITCH. YOU BROUGHT ME BACK A BOAT I CAN'T USE!"
The Headmistress was in the room, as were all the teachers, and all the students. Old guys are funny... whee

But yeah- that's about all I did today. None of my relaties were in the war to my knowledge. Quakers, Quakers I say!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff