Two stars 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
One Star 0.025641025641026 2.6% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 39 ]

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
If you have read Tolkien's Silmarillion, what did you think of it?

Liberal Lunatic

I like it very much I don't like that Christopher did a heck of a lot of editing of the work.
Beleg is much loved though.

Unholy Rogue

12,750 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Battle: Rogue 100
It has some great stories, but it reads too much like a history textbook.

Hot Rot's Prince

Hardened Member

12,200 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Spluckor

More like a collection of myths and legends...something like the Poetic Edda or the Kalevala. Which was the point. I for one loved it, though I study mythology for fun. My only complaint is that there's not enough Finrod.

Hilarious Noob

5,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I read it years ago. I think I have tı read it again biggrin

Anxious Scamp

I love it for the information, like a mythology text book or an encyclopaedia, but I just cannot read it cover to cover like a book. Maybe that's normal?

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Loki Iago
I love it for the information, like a mythology text book or an encyclopaedia, but I just cannot read it cover to cover like a book. Maybe that's normal?

That is normal. The first time I read the Silmarillion I skipped all the chapters about the Valar, the Noldor's return to Beleriand, and the section about Numenor. I just read about Beren, Turin, and Tuor. sweatdrop

Anxious Scamp

Sintel Arthedain
Loki Iago

That is normal. The first time I read the Silmarillion I skipped all the chapters about the Valar, the Noldor's return to Beleriand, and the section about Numenor. I just read about Beren, Turin, and Tuor. sweatdrop

haha glad I'm not alone!

I read the parts with Melkor/Morgoth because I absolutely adore fallen angel motifs (it reminded me a ton of Loki and Asgard to be honest).

Witty Bibliophile

11,975 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
Loki Iago
Sintel Arthedain
Loki Iago

haha glad I'm not alone!

I read the parts with Melkor/Morgoth because I absolutely adore fallen angel motifs (it reminded me a ton of Loki and Asgard to be honest).

I always loved the tragically flawed hero (Turin, Maedhros, Feanor, etc...). Anyhow, if someone thinks George R.R. Martin torments his characters, they haven't read enough Tolkien. pirate

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Interesting, but challenging!

Divine Bard

13,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
Sintel Arthedain
Loki Iago
Sintel Arthedain
Loki Iago

haha glad I'm not alone!

I always loved the tragically flawed hero (Turin, Maedhros, Feanor, etc...). Anyhow, if someone thinks George R.R. Martin torments his characters, they haven't read enough Tolkien. pirate

Case in point: Fëanor and family.
Spluckor

It sort of is a history textbook in that it gives the events of the First Age from the beginning. That can make it hard to get through -I made three attempts at starting it before I could get all the way through it- but once you start getting into it you find out a lot of stuff that's mentioned in all the movies, like why the elves and the dwarves don't get along (it's not because the elves wouldn't help when Smaug first attacked, that's just movie drama -lol); where the huge spiders came from, how it happened that the orcs were originally elves and even where the White tree of Gondor came from. There's also a lot of character genealogy, family trees etc. if you like that kind of thing.

Anyway, it's a worthy read if you want to go deeper into the world that Prof. Tolkien created.

Justice Prophet

17,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Junior 100
I read parts of it since the new film series incorporates stories and segments from that book
I loved it, especially the beginning where it talks about Iluvatar and the Valar. Admittedly, it gets a tad dull later. The first time I tried to read it I got lost right around Feanor. But eventually I read the whole thing. The story of Beren and Luthien was neat. Yeah, it was a cool book, and I love how it summarized the war of the ring at the end.
I loved it. It reads a lot like a history book for the majority of the book (and it kindof is a history book...) but it's epic, and it has my favorite Tolkien story (Beren and Luthien)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff