Welcome to Gaia! ::

A

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
How did you focus on the last line so much while ignoring the previous comments about improving percentages of minority races and women?
All he's saying is that we need to become more diverse and equal in the future. White people are way more likely to be accepted into university and career positions than other races due to institutionalized racism (which white people put into place to gain more power by stealing the rights and power of racial minorities) and white supremacists. Racism against white people isn't a thing. White people hold power over racial minorities and you can't overpower them simply with a comment about how we should see more diversity in the future.
"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

We're going to the complete opposite end of the racism spectrum it seems to me; we are still racist in a sense but its become instilled in humanity's mind that just because you're born of a certain race you're automatically advantaged/disadvantaged. And more and more I see instances where people aren't getting advancements and opportunities because they worked hard for it, but because they are part of some minority and I can't help feel that this President is ushering exactly that.

Devoted Dabbler

I think Sullen Galda is right.

I used to share very similar views as you, Kaltros, but I joined my husband on a conference about ethnicity once and they put some new thoughts in my head that I'd never considered before.

Whites have the majority here in the US, and so all minority cultures are subject to white culture, which is displayed in anything from certain kinds of humor to foods, dress, and how we act and react in certain situations. I imagine it must be hard to be two people- one person at home, and a more white-acceptable person in public.
That being said, the white majority also has the upper hand economically. Whites sit at the top of the food chain in jobs with very little exception, and those who are minority with high-salaried jobs have probably heard, "You're more white than you are [insert applied minority here]," by colleagues and peers more times in life than they thought bearable. It's supposed to be a compliment or a joke, but what does that do to a person's confidence in his or her ethnic identity?
A minority presence in any traditionally white setting most likely means that person (or their parents or grandparents) sacrificed a bit of their identity to get there, and worked 150% more than any white person standing beside them. We may have equal rights on paper, but there is still a glass ceiling in America for minorities. In the area I grew up, my family was one among many just didn't trust "dirty Mexicans", and when someone said, "It's a black neighborhood," they meant, "Don't go near there; gangs and drug dealers abound and you will get shot." (Unfortunately, we hardly ever remember than an overwhelming majority of serial killers are/were white.) have negative connotations for most minorities, and the only one we have for ourselves is "white trash", which is usually a label given to poorer white people, and implies that other cultures in the same economic standing are just "trash". There is a mentality inside each culture, I think, that those within your culture are the most trustworthy. Ask yourself: If you were transferred to a new school or workplace, would you rather sit at lunch with someone from your own ethnic culture or a different one? Maybe you're not the average person, but 9/10 people would feel safer and more comfortable with someone like them. I believe that is one reason why, after so much effort in US law systems to make all peoples equal, there are still way more white people coming out on top: White people trust other white people more, and are more willing to give like people jobs and other opportunities.
I think the college initiative to find a way to include more ethnic minorities onto campus is a good start to help break the glass ceiling. Diversity promotes a conglomerate of cultures, instead of one dominant white culture. And since there are many job initiatives starting up that are similar, maybe we will see more different-colored people in higher-paying jobs that more accurately reflects the diversity of our population as a whole.

Sorry if this was tldr for you. Didn't mean to make it that way; just wanted to flesh out my argument.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
--Sky Kid Tai--
"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

We're going to the complete opposite end of the racism spectrum it seems to me; we are still racist in a sense but its become instilled in humanity's mind that just because you're born of a certain race you're automatically advantaged/disadvantaged. And more and more I see instances where people aren't getting advancements and opportunities because they worked hard for it, but because they are part of some minority and I can't help feel that this President is ushering exactly that.

MLKJ I swear is rolling in his grave because of it.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
NobodyAiko
I think Sullen Galda is right.

I used to share very similar views as you, Kaltros, but I joined my husband on a conference about ethnicity once and they put some new thoughts in my head that I'd never considered before.

Whites have the majority here in the US, and so all minority cultures are subject to white culture, which is displayed in anything from certain kinds of humor to foods, dress, and how we act and react in certain situations. I imagine it must be hard to be two people- one person at home, and a more white-acceptable person in public.
That being said, the white majority also has the upper hand economically. Whites sit at the top of the food chain in jobs with very little exception, and those who are minority with high-salaried jobs have probably heard, "You're more white than you are [insert applied minority here]," by colleagues and peers more times in life than they thought bearable. It's supposed to be a compliment or a joke, but what does that do to a person's confidence in his or her ethnic identity?
A minority presence in any traditionally white setting most likely means that person (or their parents or grandparents) sacrificed a bit of their identity to get there, and worked 150% more than any white person standing beside them. We may have equal rights on paper, but there is still a glass ceiling in America for minorities. In the area I grew up, my family was one among many just didn't trust "dirty Mexicans", and when someone said, "It's a black neighborhood," they meant, "Don't go near there; gangs and drug dealers abound and you will get shot." (Unfortunately, we hardly ever remember than an overwhelming majority of serial killers are/were white.) have negative connotations for most minorities, and the only one we have for ourselves is "white trash", which is usually a label given to poorer white people, and implies that other cultures in the same economic standing are just "trash". There is a mentality inside each culture, I think, that those within your culture are the most trustworthy. Ask yourself: If you were transferred to a new school or workplace, would you rather sit at lunch with someone from your own ethnic culture or a different one? Maybe you're not the average person, but 9/10 people would feel safer and more comfortable with someone like them. I believe that is one reason why, after so much effort in US law systems to make all peoples equal, there are still way more white people coming out on top: White people trust other white people more, and are more willing to give like people jobs and other opportunities.
I think the college initiative to find a way to include more ethnic minorities onto campus is a good start to help break the glass ceiling. Diversity promotes a conglomerate of cultures, instead of one dominant white culture. And since there are many job initiatives starting up that are similar, maybe we will see more different-colored people in higher-paying jobs that more accurately reflects the diversity of our population as a whole.

Sorry if this was tldr for you. Didn't mean to make it that way; just wanted to flesh out my argument.

Some blacks called Obama to white.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
--Sky Kid Tai--

We're going to the complete opposite end of the racism spectrum it seems to me; we are still racist in a sense but its become instilled in humanity's mind that just because you're born of a certain race you're automatically advantaged/disadvantaged.

But like many things, there is a bit of truth in it. Blacks and Hispanics have higher poverty rates than Whites. I wish the playing field was even, but that simply isn't the case. I'm not saying colleges should make race THE determining factor, but I hope you at least understand why they're trying to be more diverse.
Quote:
And more and more I see instances where people aren't getting advancements and opportunities because they worked hard for it, but because they are part of some minority and I can't help feel that this President is ushering exactly that.

The same could be said about whites being hired because they're white. It can and does happen both ways.
SparkyKid3000
--Sky Kid Tai--

We're going to the complete opposite end of the racism spectrum it seems to me; we are still racist in a sense but its become instilled in humanity's mind that just because you're born of a certain race you're automatically advantaged/disadvantaged.

But like many things, there is a bit of truth in it. Blacks and Hispanics have higher poverty rates than Whites. I wish the playing field was even, but that simply isn't the case. I'm not saying colleges should make race THE determining factor, but I hope you at least understand why they're trying to be more diverse.
Quote:
And more and more I see instances where people aren't getting advancements and opportunities because they worked hard for it, but because they are part of some minority and I can't help feel that this President is ushering exactly that.

The same could be said about whites being hired because they're white. It can and does happen both ways.

I'm not denying the other side of the coin (I made no mention of it because I thought it'd be assumed).

But this is somewhat what I'm talking about; statistically yes, minority groups are at a disadvantage but that has become the defining aspect of this push for "equality". Not saying its a baf thing, but I disagree with the methods being implimemted to correct it; the method being that one gets special treatment or an advantage only because of their race (pick one; white, black, Klingon, Urchin(sp)).

Something else I've happened to notice on occasion is the mindset that "the (insert race here) have had enough advantages, its time to give the advantage to (insert other race here)", something that to me anyway is the polar opposite of what "equality" and "fairness" should be.

The airquotes signify that in today's world, those words seem to have different meaning from person to person.
Kaltros

You are literally the definition of white supremecy and racism. It's ironic how you made a topic about how this president of a university is racist then you go off being extremely racist. I don't even have the time to explain to you how racist you just were.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff