Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50

On a seemingly ordinary Saturday afternoon at the park in Sequim, Wash., two masked men grabbed a 4-year-old boy sitting on a park bench near his mother. The men proceeded to put the child in a van and drive off.

Parents reacted frantically, some running after the car attempting to get a license plate number, others called 911.

Their panic turned to outrage upon discovering that the abduction was a hoax in order to film a YouTube video to promote "kidnapping awareness," according to the creators.

Jason Holden, 24, and his twin brother Jeremy, coordinated the hoax with their stepmother who allowed them to fake-kidnap their 4-year-old half brother for the video. Holden and his brother called the police prior to undertaking the prank to let them know what they were planning.

"The police never said it wasn't a good idea," said Holden. "They asked for our name and number and said they would notify the police in our area."

However, representatives from the Sequim Police Department disagree.

"We got a call moments before the incident happened at the park, with someone saying something to the effect of they are going to be filming a documentary-type video involving a fake kidnapping," Sgt. Detective Sean Madison told ABC News. "We don't consider that to be a warning or an advisement."

The entire prank lasted about five minutes. When the cousins returned to the playground area to inform parents that the boy was safe, they were angrily reprimanded.

"We explained that we were filming an awareness video for kidnapping, but everyone sat there and yelled at us," said Holden. "We weren't able to explain ourselves or apologize."

The cousins may now be facing misdemeanor charges involving disturbing the peace and being a public nuisance.

"I'll be the first to admit we didn't handle everything in the best way," said Holden. "We didn't mean to make people so upset."

Jason Holden and his twin brother Jeremy have a YouTube channel with other prank videos, where they are shown pulling stunts like leaving someone tied up in the trunk of a car on sale.

"Even though they said this was an awareness video, it's very clear that all their other posts are pranks," said Madison. "There is certainly some inconsistency in what they're saying and what they've posted online in the past."

Charge them

Loyal Exhibitionist

Wow. What backlash. Although I'm not surprised.

I believe that if you want to make an educational video, especially about kidnapping, is to notify EVERYONE, not just those involved and the police.

Hell, let's just make the entire thing staged.

Kawaii Girl

Hasuki Aatisuto
Wow. What backlash. Although I'm not surprised.

I believe that if you want to make an educational video, especially about kidnapping, is to notify EVERYONE, not just those involved and the police.

Hell, let's just make the entire thing staged.
Quite. I don't doubt they had good intentions, but they could have found a more appropriate way to get the point across.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
How difficult would it have been to go around wig like a flier explaining that what they are witnessing is planned with the child's and parents knowledge. Clearly did not think this one through.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
********. Now I wanna go on youtube to see if these two eventually get shot. I have a strange feeling it's going to happen eventually.

Durem Citizen

They should feel terrible. They had parents and other children terrified.

Headstrong Senshi

20,150 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Power Surge 50
  • Team Player 50
They really should have let everyone know at the park with the kids there and have a police presence before they do anything like that again. I'm glad that it didn't end tragically for the teens involved. With everyone worried about kidnappings it could have easily gone the other way.
Wow... Just wow, Rude people.....

Dangerous Friend

16,040 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Were they really expecting praise for their stunt? If they really were making this video to promote awareness then shouldn't they know how terrifying it is for parents to lose their child? How scary it is for the child? And how it isn't a laughing matter because many kids are not found or are found dead. I don't think a simple apology is going to cut it for the parents.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Alexander J ********. Now I wanna go on youtube to see if these two eventually get shot. I have a strange feeling it's going to happen eventually.[/quote]If they do, it will be a shame if the shooters face cha
urienn4f:0="Alexander J ********. Now I wanna go on youtube to see if these two eventually get shot. I have a strange feeling it's going to happen eventually.[/quote]If they do, it will be a shame if the shooters face charges.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff