Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ice-Cold Wolf

Quote:
Pharaoh Senebkay, a ruler from Ancient Egypt whose tomb was only discovered in January 2014, was brutally killed in battle, new research suggests.

The burial chamber of a little known pharaoh called Woseribre Senebkay, who reigned over 3,600 years ago, was found 300 miles south of Cairo last year.

The pharaoh has never featured in ancient Egyptian history books, but Senebkay's name was found inscribed in hieroglyphics written inside a royal cartouche.

After studying the Pharaoh's remains a team from the University of Pennsylvania and Dr Josef Wegner, in conjunction with Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, has reconstructed the Abydos Dynasty king's last moments.

It is thought that Senebkay was the first Pharaoh to die in battle in about 1650 BC. What's more, the team of scientists identified that he had 18 wounds on his body that would have been sustained before his death, including "axe blows" to the head.

Dr Wegner said: "The king's skeleton has 18 wounds that penetrated to the bone. The trauma includes major cuts to his feet, ankles, and lower back. Multiple blows to Senebkay's skull show the distinctive size and curvature of battle axes used during Egypt's Second Intermediate Period."

They also concluded that, due to the angles of the wounds, Senebkay would have probably been on a horse when he was first hit.

"His assailants first cut his lower back, ankles and feet to bring him to the ground and then finished him with axe blows to the skull," continued Dr Wegner.

"Horseback riding may have played a growing role in military movements during this era even before the full advent of chariot technology in Egypt.

"It remains unclear whether he died in battle against the Hyksos kings who then ruled northern Egypt, or possibly enemies in the south"

The Abydos Dynasty

According to archaeologists, the discovery of Senebkay proves the existence of an independent Abydos dynasty, which was first hypothesised by Egyptologist K. Ryholt in 1997 but not confirmed until last year.

The evidence for it is about 16 royal tombs spanning the period 1650 to 1600 BC and found alongside the burial of Senebkay, who appears to be one of the earliest kings of the Abydos Dynasty.

Abydos Dynasty existed in the southern part of Middle Egypt between the larger and prosperous kingdoms of Thebes and the Hyksos in northern Egypt.

Senebkay's tomb also provides evidence that Abydos Dynasty had comparatively weak economy because objects that had been extracted from previous tombs and reused in a later tomb were found.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/ancient-egypt-warrior-pharaoh-senebkay-was-hacked-death-axes-says-new-research-1489661

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
More grave-robbing, eh? I wonder how efficient it was to ride a horse in battle several millenia before stirrups were invented.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Ratttking
More grave-robbing, eh? I wonder how efficient it was to ride a horse in battle several millenia before stirrups were invented.

Considering it allowed you to get to your enemies quicker, gave your blows the advantage of all that momentum, and gave you a height advantage over your opponents I imagine it was plenty efficient.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Saless
Ratttking

Considering it allowed you to get to your enemies quicker, gave your blows the advantage of all that momentum, and gave you a height advantage over your opponents I imagine it was plenty efficient.
Sure, if you can stay on the thing and your enemies aren't also on horseback. It doesn't seem to have been advantageous to Senekhbay.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Ratttking
Saless
Ratttking

Sure, if you can stay on the thing and your enemies aren't also on horseback. It doesn't seem to have been advantageous to Senekhbay.

That's the problem with any military advancement...the other side gets it and it ceases to be an advantage. But you have to keep using it or you hand that advantage over to your enemies. Also, lots of people fought from horseback long before stirrups and other such technology was invented and were able to stay on the horse well enough. Even firing arrows while riding without them. And they didn't have to deal with the possibility of being dragged by said stirrups. wink

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Apparently some pharohs are more godlike than others.

"The king's skeleton has 18 wounds that penetrated to the bone.

And wow, they really wanted to make sure he was dead.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ratttking

Interesting. I'd never really thought about that.
You'd think if you could invent saddles and various forms of armor for your horse you could invent some place to plant your feet while you swing a sword or an ax.
Though, I gather horse armor was not really a thing until much later as well.

Hilarious Puppy

David2074

Man, Egyptians were freaking awesome.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Ember F Strife
David2074

Man, Egyptians were freaking awesome.

Apparently not as awesome as the folks that wanted their leader dead. rofl

Conservative Regular

Saless
Ratttking
Saless
Ratttking

That's the problem with any military advancement...the other side gets it and it ceases to be an advantage. But you have to keep using it or you hand that advantage over to your enemies. Also, lots of people fought from horseback long before stirrups and other such technology was invented and were able to stay on the horse well enough. Even firing arrows while riding without them. And they didn't have to deal with the possibility of being dragged by said stirrups. wink

Yeah but the chap was alive before the earliest examples of horses being ridden in warfare.

It's more likely he was on a Chariot something bad happened to it,
He managed to get on a horse to try and get away and failed
Ratttking

You were expected to grab some horn-like projections on the saddle instead.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
azulmagia
Ratttking

You were expected to grab some horn-like projections on the saddle instead.
You mean like a a saddle horn? OK, but better hope you only get attacked on your sword side because hanging on with one hand is gonna make it awfully hard to reach over that side. And how would operating a bow and arrow work with that arrangement? Yeah, I'm sure they had thighs that could crack black walnuts, but still sounds awkward.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Texadar
Saless
Ratttking
Saless
Ratttking

Yeah but the chap was alive before the earliest examples of horses being ridden in warfare.

It's more likely he was on a Chariot something bad happened to it,
He managed to get on a horse to try and get away and failed

The article implied that chariots weren't a thing yet, so probably not. Besides, there's nothing saying he was actually intending to fight from horseback. It makes sense for the king to be on horseback even if the rest of the army isn't because it gives him a better view of what's going on...plus there's the whole looking more kingly thing. wink

Friendly Bunny

5,950 Points
  • Informer 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Friendly 100
Now that's interesting. heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers