Welcome to Gaia! ::

Your skin needs oil, and it needs hydration. It also needs healthy food. I use coconut oil as a makeup remover, including on my eyes and use Olay facial scrub. Putting on a little light lotion wouldn't hurt either. Sugary foods cause you to break out, so does stress and many other things that go on in your body. I mostly just get stress pimples, and not that many. Drink a lot of water on a regular basis, cut out a lot of unhealthy sugars, and keep clean with mild products.

Chatty Abductee

I need something to dry out my skin lololol

Divine Shapeshifter

12,650 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Licensed Aesthetician here!

1. Drink water
2. Look at your diet and really see how many vegetables you're eating.
3. Improper starch digestion can lead to blackheads around the nose area. AKA cut down on pastas/pastries/cookies/candy.
4. Change your pillowcase at least twice a week
5. Wash your face ONLY once a day, and preferably at night. More than that can cause you to overproduce oil.
5. Moisturize after you wash your face every time. Never strip your skin of oil without replenishing it after.
6. Use a water-based moisturizer, not oil based to keep from clogging pores.
7. POTASSIUM IODIDE- get this in your diet. Get it in liquid form and take at least 400 units a day (3 drops or so). It's also the best spot treatment for acne, and WAY cheaper.

PS - potassium iodide is the CURE for cystic acne, polycystic ovarian syndrome, breast cysts, CYSTS.

8. Any other questions feel free to ask smile

Enduring Sex Symbol

First thing I would do is get off any harsh cleaning products that contain any chemical additives. You want natural products that are safe and chemical-free.

For example, instead of lotions, use organic coconut oil. Also use it as a lip balm.

For soap, skip the soap aisle ENTIRELY at either a grocery store OR a drug store. Go to a health store and get something like a bar of Dr. Bronner's Castle Soap. Or my farmer's market has a vendor that sells artisan, hand-made soaps with coconut oil and other good fats as a base, and essential oils and other natural products.

For shampoo, scrub your hair with baking soda liberally, and then rinse with apple cider vinegar (hair likes an acid environment actually). Do this once or twice a week is the max you should ever need.

Also, a good shower filter that can reduce things like chlorine and other nasty chemicals in your water is a great idea. You absorb these things through your skin through the magic of a little process called "tramsdermal absorption." Look it up if you don't believe me.

Basically, anything that's ON your body gets IN your body somehow, and that's not always a good thing.

Also, harsh chemicals on the skin are probably not doing your acne any favors. You could vastly improve your acne by instead of treating the symptom (bumpy skin), going after the longer-term strategy of getting your skin and body healthier overall.

From a dietary perspective eat a hormone-supporting diet rich in cholesterol, grass-fed meats, coconut oil, butter, ghee... Don't fear fat, and remember, healthy hormone production only occurs when there is enough cholesterol in your body to MAKE the hormones. And we all know an imbalance of hormones can cause or exacerbate acne. Do NOT fear the fat.

Tiny Strawberry

8,050 Points
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
African black soap, drink lots of water, moisturize after washing your face, use witch hazel as a toner, have oil blotting sheets, don't touch your face

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Sometimes I make a mask using Aspirin and water. I crush up a aspirin pill and mix just enough water to make a mixture and then put it on the acne and either leave it on for like an hour or over night. Sometimes it will clear it dramatically or at least bring down the redness/swelling.

Also this one sounds weird but I've been doing it for years. have you heard of using Milk of Magnesia for acne problems? You can put a layer on your skin and then let it dry. It will start off being clear when wet then turn white when dry. Instead of washing it off, you wipe it off with a dry clothes and then the acne will be almost every time (at least for me) half the redness and largeness. Google it!

Lupine Wolf

6,600 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Team Jacob 100
-Wash your face often (make sure you're not using an oily facial cleanser cause it can make it worse, I usually use a foaming cleaner)

-Change your pillow case often cause that can cause acne with how your oily hair, skin cells, drool and whatnot go onto there that can cause acne.

-Avoiding sugar (so I stopped drinking pop and juice and so I haven't had a single pimple since and I've changed to a healthier diet so no more junk food or processed foods)

-Avoid junk food (processed foods)

-Don't touch your face with your hands unless they're clean. Your hands carry a lot of oil, dirt bacteria and whatnot so touching your face and rubbing your face and cause that to move onto your face and make you break out. So try to wash your hands often.

-If you happen to get acne on your back (I don't have this problem) but incase you do when you take a shower and use the conditioner. Because its so oily or whatever it can cause you to get acne on your back so when you take a shower and rinse out the conditioner bring your hair to the front and rinse it that way rather than letting the water hit your back and let the water and conditioner residue stay on your back.

Hope that helped ^^

MiracleUpon's Prince

Shy Spirit

14,775 Points
  • Get Dissed! 25
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Fishing is Love 25
Wash your face once or twice a day/ Like in the morning when you wake up and at bed time before you go to sleep.

Always wash your make up off. Your eye make up can give you a stye which is like a zit on your eyelid your DO NOT pop.

The consealor face make up you use can actually cause your break outs. This is why blush and consealor. Stuff that goes on your face I use mineral or no deal. The brand or type of lipstick, lipgloss, eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara never mattered to me. Dollar store stuff works just fine. But blush, primer, consealor, etc. If it doesn't say mineral...might not be such a great idea.

I also use random fruity face wash stuff. Neutragena, grape fruit this, etc. I tried the proacne junk and it's just more steps for nothing in my opinion... But those acne pads don't even waste your money.

I have added some pictures of what I mean since it might better illustrate my point.

^GOOD

^BAD

^WASTE

^
STYE

^
MINERAL

^
MINERAL

Both mineral make ups I use, love, and stand by the quality of. I also use that exact face wash. Many of these things you can find at your local pharmacy or grocery store. You don't even have to go out of your way to a make up store or pay a lot for them.

Invisible Humorist

I noticed that my skin improved as I went to the gym more regularly (all the sweating helps flush my pores I suppose!)
Additionally, I don't wash my face every day. I only wash it after I work out (the sweating thing again) or after a day where I feel particularly dirty. For that, I use Neutrogena's Oil-free acne wash in that pink grapefruit smell. Afterwards, I use a facial moisturizer with acne medication in it for preventative measures (Clean & Clear Dual Action is my favorite). I also use Biore's nose and face strips for blackhead removal as needed!

But this is just me and my skin! You kind of have to do a "trial and error" to figure out what works for your skin!

Clean Hunter

9,375 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Try cleaning your face with sulfur soap surprised

Party Explorer

✌ ✌ ✌

Someone said you should strip your skin of oils?

In some cases yes, but in others, dry skin can ALSO induce acne.

Be careful.

Wash your face with as much natural ingredients as possible. I have just gotten into Lush products - they are amazing.

Don't forget to moisturize - with a light or heavy (whichever suits your skin type the best).

KawaiiTentacle
I don't usually get a lot of acne unless I'm stressed or it's my monthly cycle. Any tips to help reduce acne flare ups?

Have you noticed if there's anything else besides stress/your monthly cycle that might be causing the flare ups also?

Typical tips: lots of water, good eating habits, try some homemade face masks for acne, wash your pillow cases more often, keep benzoyl peroxide on you to spot treat or tree tea oil if you want something natural.
I had severe acne from the time I was 12 up through last year (I'm 22 now, for reference). What finally nipped it was a combination of getting on a suitable birth control and maintaining a regular skincare regimen. I'd tried a bunch of different ointments, washes, etc. in the past but was utterly incapable of making a regular routine of it. Now I barely get acne at all, and when I do it's just one or two tiny blemishes at a time, usually where my bangs brush against my forehead/cheeks.

My personal regimen looks like this usually:
Quote:
AM -
- Wash face with CeraVe foaming facial cleanser
- Dab on Neutrogena oil free toner
- Moisturize with La Roche Posay Anthelios SPF15 (pricey $$)

PM -
- Remove makeup with Almay eye makeup removing wipes/Yes to Cucumbers facial wipe
- Dab on Neutrogena oil free toner
- Apply La Roche Posay Effaclar ointment (pricey $$)
- Moisturize with CeraVe PM moisturizer

Occasionally (2-3x weekly) -
- Use Neutrogena Acne Stress Control power-clear scrub (in shower)
- Use The Body Shop's Seaweed Ionic clay mask

Overall the biggest thing I've learned is to never over-dry or strip your skin of oils; it'll just rebound to be twice as greasy as before, which causes breakouts. Just be consistent in whatever your routine is, and it'll probably help! Other random tips include changing out your pillowcase weekly, clipping your bangs back from your face when home/working/exercising, and drinking extra water.

Best of luck! heart

Friendly Fatcat

I don't usually get a lot of acne unless I'm stressed or it's my monthly cycle. Any tips to help reduce acne flare ups?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff