Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which free game did you download via the Mario Kart 8 Club Nintendo promotion? (promo ends 7/31/14)

Wii Party U 0.1 10.0% [ 2 ]
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 0.35 35.0% [ 7 ]
Pikmin 3 0.4 40.0% [ 8 ]
New Super Mario Bros. U 0.15 15.0% [ 3 ]
Total Votes:[ 20 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 51 52 53 > >>

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Wii U Official Site | Miiverse | Nintendo YouTube Channel | Nintendo of America (Twitter) | Nintendo (Facebook)User Image
User ImageUser Image

Table of Contents
                                                            I. Introduction / New Releases
                                                            II. Nintendo in the News
                                                            III. Wii U Game of the Week
                                                            IV. FAQs
                                                            V. Freebies, Promotions & Deals
                                                            VI. Upcoming Games

The Wii U is a next generation HD game console & successor to Nintendo's last gen runaway success, the Wii. The Wii U game console plays brand new games from beloved Nintendo franchises in up to full 1080p HD & is compatible with Wii titles and Virtual Console games. What's truly distinct about this new console over the competitors is it's revolutionary GamePad. The Wii U GamePad controller removes the traditional barriers between you, your games, and your TV by creating a second window into the video game world. It incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 aspect ratio LCD touch screen, as well as traditional button controls and two analog sticks. With the Wii U you can also communicate with players all around the world, video chat with friends, stream movies, shows and live TV, and much more. The console recently turned a year old & has numerous highly anticipated titles on the way that appeal to every type of gamer making this the perfect opportunity for newcomers to experience all that the Wii U has to offer.

This is a thread for Wii U owners or people considering buying a Wii U to discuss anything related to the console or games for it. Feel free to talk about what features you most enjoy on the Wii U, what you hope to see in the future, inquiries etc. I'll try to update often but intend to post things like special sales for those of us who enjoy saving a few bucks, release dates for new games, and solutions to common questions. Feel free to contribute anything you believe would be beneficial to this thread.

»NEW RELEASES
*Click the image to view the trailer.

User Image

*Child of Light / April 29, 2014

User Image

*Mario Kart 8 / May 30, 2014

User Image

*How to Train Your Dragon 2 / June 10, 2014

User Image

*Pushmo World / June 19, 2014

User Image

*Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark / June 24, 2014

User Image

*Shovel Knight / June 26, 2014

User Image

*Wii Sports Club (Retail) / July 25, 2014

Total Wii U Console Sales: 6,126,313 (as of May 2014)
      Total Wii U Games: 327 (as of March 31, 2014)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
User Image»NINTENDO IN THE NEWS
arrow BestBuy to host Smash Bros tournaments during E3
arrow Wii U OS version 5.0.0 U now available
arrow Gamecube controller support returns in Smash Bros Wii U
arrow Nintendo closes European HQ, cuts 130 jobs
arrow Mario Kart 8 sells over 1.2 million globally in first weekend
arrow Mario Kart 8 increases UK Wii U console sales by 600%
arrow Nintendo reveals new NFC figurine platform for Wii U and 3DS & this will be integrated into Smash Bros as well
arrow Phillips files patent lawsuit against Nintendo
arrow Nintendo announces over 50 upcoming games which utilize the Unity Game Engine
arrow GBA games come to Wii U in April 2014
arrow Nintendo is considering mergers & acquisitions
arrow Nintendo will someday provide on-demand service between 3DS & Wii U
arrow Mario Kart 8 arrives in May 2014
arrow Iwata, Takeda and Miyamoto taking pay cuts due to poor console sales
arrow New Wii U update coming Summer 2014
arrow Nintendo will use smartphones to promote their games
arrow Super Mario 3D World sells nearly 2 million total
arrow Nintendo working on new health tech for 2016
arrow DS titles coming to Wii U
arrow Intelligent Systems (makers of games like Fire Emblem, Paper Mario & Advance Wars) now has their own building
arrow Next Level Games, which made Luigi's Mansion 2, is now a Nintendo exclusive 2nd party developer.
arrow Monolith Soft, the company behind the Xenoblade sequel, is hiring more staff.
arrow Retro Studios, the guys behind Metroid Prime & Donkey Kong, are also hiring more staff.
arrow Now that China has lifted their ban on consoles, Nintendo's stocks are surging.
arrow Nintendo is more valuable than Sony.
arrow Nintendo slaughtered IA Labs in a Wii peripheral court battle.

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
»Wii U Game of the Week

User Image
        Mario Kart 8 ( Trailer )

Release Date: 5/30/14 (USA, Europe, Australia, Japan)

Players: 1-12 (up to 4 locally, 12 globally via WFC)

Controller Options: Gamepad, Wii Remote Plus, Wii Classic Controller, Wii U Classic Controller Pro, Wii Remote + Nunchuk

Ratings: Game Informer - 93/100, Joystiq - 90/100, Destructoid - 90/100, IGN - 90/100, GameSpot - 80/100, Polygon - 90/100

Recommended Read: Nintendo Life interviews MK8 Director Kosuke Yabuki

Pro Tips: Nintendo Life, IGN, GameXplain

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
»FAQsUser Image

User Image How do you set up your friend list?
        In order to send or accept friend invitations, you must activate your friend list. Press the Home button on the gamepad and click the Friend List icon. You'll be asked if you'd like friends to see your online status and what game you're playing. After you answer the questions your friend list is activated. To add friends, click 'Register Friend' to type in their Nintendo ID or if you want to friend someone from the Miiverse, just click on their Mii and hit the "Friend Request" button.

User Image How do I share screenshots of the games I play?
        Upload to the Miiverse: When there's something on screen you'd like to take a screenshot of, hit the Home button then tap Miiverse and enter one of the communities. Create a post then click the icon in the upper right (it has a + icon in it). This will add the screenshot into your post.

Upload to Social Media: Add https://i.nintendo.net to your Wii U browser bookmarks. Through that official site, you'll be able to upload your screenshots directly to Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr.

Upload to web: Use image storage sites like minus.com or copy.com to upload your pics to the web or send to your email.

User Image Any tips on conserving or extending gamepad battery life?
        Press Home, Controller Settings, Settings then adjust (lower) the screen brightness. Also turn Power-Saving Mode On and Rumble Off. When playing on the gamepad, it's a good idea to use headphones or earbuds for audio. Using the controller's speakers will drain the battery faster. When playing on TV, turn the gamepad volume completely off.

Also, if you're using a different controller (Wii remote, classic controller Pro) you can also use the controller setting options to turn the display off on the gamepad.

2 alternate methods of boosting battery life on the gamepad involve the purchase of extended battery packs. Nintendo is now selling a High-Capacity Battery for the Wii U gamepad that provide 8 hours of play per charge. They cost $32. The cheap alternative is Nyko's UBoost which adds about 3-4 hours of battery life per charge. They cost $25 but have gone on sale repeatedly in the past for under $15.

User Image How do I download games or demos from the e-shop?
        To download a demo, find the game you want in the e-Shop and select "more details" then click "Download demo." The download will start automatically.

To download a game, simply find it in the e-shop and select "purchase." Input your payment info (credit card or Nintendo points card). Confirm your purchase and the download will start automatically.

IN ORDER TO INSTALL A DEMO OR GAME, HIT THE HOME BUTTON, TAP DOWNLOAD MANAGEMENT, THEN SCROLL TO THE GAME OR DEMO AND AFTER IT'S FINISHED DOWNLOADING 100%, TAP ON IT TO INSTALL IT. The default is to save directly to the system memory if you don't have a USB hard drive installed. The basic Wii U (8GB) has about 3 GB of useable space while the Deluxe Wii U (32GB) has about 25GBs.

User Image How can I expand my storage capacity?
        Purchase an external USB device. If you're using an HDD, Nintendo recommends you use one with a dedicated power source (meaning it has it's own a/c adapter). A device with up to 2TB is storage is the maximum that can be used with the Wii U. The storage device can only be used on 1 Wii U console.

SD cards can only be used for saving pictures of your Mii, QR code patterns, or Wii game data.

Nintendo does not recommend the use of flash/thumb drives because they have a limited number of rewrites.

User Image I'm having a problem with my Wii U. What is the number to Nintendo Customer Service?
        1 (800) 255-3700. Before you make the call though, be sure to check Nintendo's official site for troubleshooting on common issues (click here)

User Image I bought a new Wii U. How can I transfer my account and downloaded games?
        Perhaps you upgraded from a basic console to a deluxe console. Maybe a horrible natural disaster destroyed your home and everything inside so you bought a new Wii U. Network IDs are locked to the console they are created on. You must contact Nintendo and open a case to de-link your Nintendo Network ID from your old Wii U console so you can log in on your new console. This will give you access to all the games you downloaded for Wii U. You won't regain any Wii games you downloaded though (ie: Majora's Mask on Wii virtual console).

User Image Can you share games between multiple Wii U consoles or Nintendo ID accounts?
        No. All games can only be played on the console it was purchased on while logged into the Nintendo Network account that made the purchase(s).

User Image I experience heavy buffering during streaming or slow downloads. What can I do?
        First, all of your internet configuring settings must be done manually. You'll want to change your Primary DNS to 209.244.000.003. Your secondary DNS should be 209.244.000.004. Next, change the MTU value to 1492 (max is 1500) or greater. This is what I did to eliminate buffering during videos and improve download speeds. Those are public Google DNS servers which Nintendo tech support advised me to use. I also recommend doing this on your 3DS. If your internet service sucks, you may not see any improvement. Other problems may be router related so contact your ISP if that's the case.

User Image Some buttons on my gamepad are not responding. Is it broken?
        Before you call Nintendo to send it in for repairs, it could simply just need to be resynced to the console - press the red sync button on the console first then press the red button on the back of the gamepad. If that doesn't work, try resetting the gamepad. Press home then when the menu pops up, hold the A, B, + and - button for about 5 seconds.

User Image Part of my screen is is cut off by my TV. How do I adjust it so I can see everything?
        To change screen size, go to System Settings > TV > Screen Size. Make the arrows line up on the 4 corners of the screen so you'll get the complete picture while playing games.

User Image What is the most current Wii U system update version?
        The most current system update version is 5.0.0 U. Click here to see what changes have been made.

User Image How far from the console can the gamepad be while still functioning?
        According to Nintendo, the gamepad will work up to 26 feet away from the console.

User Image How do I know what hard drive is compatible with Wii U? Any good recommendations on which I should purchase?
        Nintendo has a list of compatible external USB storage devices which they recommend however many are expensive or seem to no longer be available for purchase outside of places like eBay.

Here are a couple good ones that are still in circulation (in brand new condition):

(1) MiniPro 1TB External USB 3.0 - $100

(2) Seagate Expansion 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBV2000100) - $80

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
»FreebiesUser Image

»Online & Retail Hardware/Software Deals

User Image

User Image Wii U eShop:
        *Nano Assault Neo - $7.49 (Expires 4/10/14)
        *Block Drop U - $1 (Expires 4/9/14)
        *Buy Dr. Mario ($5), get Dr. Luigi for $10 (Expires 4/10/14)

Deluxe Digital Promotion (eShop)
        If you purchased the deluxe 32GB Wii U console bundle (black), you're automatically enrolled in the Deluxe Digital Promotion. You earn 10% back on every purchase you make in the Nintendo eShop. For example, if you purchase a game for $59.99, you'll earn 599 points. It costs 500 points to redeem a $5 eShop credit.

If you own a deluxe Wii U but aren't seeing your promotion points, you may not have signed in here - do that so you can start redeeming your points.

Earn points on all digital purchases made through Dec 2014.
        Exchange points to receive activation codes by Mar 2015.

Activation codes earned must be redeemed at the Nintendo eShop by the end of June 2015.
        There is no deadline to use funds once added to your balance in the Nintendo eShop.

User Image Amazon.com:
        Sale Period: May expire soon.
        *The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - $41.41 (may expire soon)

User Image GameStop (Sales Period: 4/7/14 to 4/15/14):

*Disney Infinity Single Characters - $10 each

User Image BestBuy (Sale Period: ?):
        n/a

User Image Target (Sale Period: 4/6/14 to 4/12/14:
        *Buy the Mario Deluxe Wii U bundle for $300 & get a $50 giftcard
        *Buy two, get one free on ALL video games
        *Disney Infinity Starter Pack - $40

User Image Toys R Us (Sale Period: 4/6/14 to 4/12/14):

*Buy Lego Hobbit in-store after 4/8 and get a $10 giftcard
        *Batman Arkham Origins - $30
        *Assassin's Creed IV - $30
        Rayman Legends - $30
        Call of Duty Ghosts - $30
        Splinter Cell: Blacklist - $30
        Just Dance 2014 - $30

User Image Newegg:
        *Disney Infinity Starter Pack - $40 (may expire soon)

User Image Walmart:
        The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - $41.41 (may expire soon)

User ImageStore.Nintendo.com:

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
»Upcoming Games

User Image

GBA Games (April 2014)
*Nintendo has confirmed that all GBA games will be single player only on Wii U. There will be no multiplayer support of any kind.
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - April 3, 2014
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 - April 24, 2014
Metroid Fusion - April 3, 2014
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity - April 17, 2014
Advance Wars - April 3, 2014
Golden Sun - April17, 2014
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$! - April 10, 2014
Kirby and The Amazing Mirror - April 10, 2014

Bayonetta 2 [ Trailer ]

Super Smash Bros [ Trailer ]

Mario Kart 8 [ Trailer ] (Coming May 30, 2014)

NES Remix 2 - [ Gameplay ] April 25, 2014

Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate -- Deluxe Edition [ Trailer ] - April 2, 2014

Cabela's Big Game Hunter: Pro Hunts - March 25, 2014

Pure Chess [ Trailer ] - March 20, 2014

Watch Dogs [ Trailer ]

Yarn Yoshi [ Trailer ]

Project CARS [ Trailer ]

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [ Trailer ] - April 29, 2014

Citizens of Earth [ Video ]

LEGO The Hobbit [ Trailer ]

Hyrule Warriors [ Trailer ]

X [ Trailer ]

Stick it To The Man - Spring 2014

Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails [ Trailer ]

A World of Keflings

FAST Racing NEO

Teslagrad

Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut

Wooden Sen’SeY

Aban Hawkins & The 1000 Spikes

Pier Solar and the Great Architects

Helly Kitty Kruisers

Tengami

Armillo

Luv Me Buddies: Wonderland

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty

Soul Saga: Episode 1

The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup

James Pond: Codename Robocod HD

How to Survive

Shovel Knight

The Pinball Arcade

Dream Pinball 3D II

Mighty No. 9

Human Element

Outdoors Unlimited

Sonic Boom

Another Castle

Forma.8

Affordable Space Adventures

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
emotion_awesome Ok, I'm ready to open this now. Let's see how it goes. stare Looks like I got a few votes while setting up. Thanks, guys.. thanks a lot. emotion_donotwant

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
So I sold my 3DS yesterday ('cause I got an XL) and got $100.

I then bought $55 in eShop cards and Game and Wario used. I used the eShop money to download Wind Waker HD.

Just beat Dragon Roost about 20 minutes ago.

Witty Genius

Brace Your Selves
The Nintendo haters are coming

good luck, man.........

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Bran Moofin

I then bought $55 in eShop cards and Game and Wario used. I used the eShop money to download Wind Waker HD.

The upgrade to XL is well worth it. I just wish they released the black model earlier.

I was planning to buy Game & Wario but noticed the price keeps plunging. I think people are reselling them brand new on eBay for like $20 or less. I thought in the past the Wario games tend to become rare and the value spikes.. : but this one is tanking. What are your thoughts on the game itself? Fun?

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Engi3Piece
Brace Your Selves
The Nintendo haters are coming

good luck, man.........
Thanks. I'm mentally preparing myself for the angry mob.

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
I do not give a phuck
Bran Moofin

The upgrade to XL is well worth it. I just wish they released the black model earlier.

I was planning to buy Game & Wario but noticed the price keeps plunging. I think people are reselling them brand new on eBay for like $20 or less. I thought in the past the Wario games tend to become rare and the value spikes.. : but this one is tanking. What are your thoughts on the game itself? Fun?
I only played the demo in GameStop so far and that's what convinced me to get it.

It's hellafun.

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Bran Moofin
I do not give a phuck
Bran Moofin

I only played the demo in GameStop so far and that's what convinced me to get it.

It's hellafun.
Plenty of flatulence? surprised That would entertain me.

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I'm heading to TRU on Saturday to pick up X & Y plus that $10 coupon. With the gift cards I eared from past sales, I'm getting 2 games for the price of 1. Thinking of also getting Splinter Cell and Pikmin 3..

Distinct Lunatic

4,000 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
I do not give a phuck
Bran Moofin
I do not give a phuck
Bran Moofin

It's hellafun.
Plenty of flatulence? surprised That would entertain me.
Nope, no farting.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces