Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm considering studying (far) away from home and Denmark happens to be one of the places I'm considering. I'm just looking for some honest feedback about what it is actually like there. Please and thank you! smile
Denmark is one of the places I definitely want to visit!

Quotable Genius

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I've only travelled through it. It is very flat, so if you can't live without mountains, don't go there razz

Time-traveling Unicorn

9,750 Points
  • Party Member 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Campaign Manager 500
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm Danish and lived there for not such a long time and I have to say that Denmark is a really happy country with a great education however the taxes are probably the highest in the world (62 percent or something) Life can be pretty expensive but it's all your choice. Denmark is a great place to visit but idk about living there.

Man-Hungry Raider

Pros:
- Awesome Early Middle Ages history
- BÄ“owulf took place there
- Mild winter compared to the rest of Scandinavia
- Bogs helped preserve the archaeological record
- Proto-Germanic urheimat along with Gotland/southern Sweden
- Fertile land
- Vikings
- Metal

Cons:
- Lack of mountains
- Grendel
- Picked up southern european influences quicker than Sweden did according to the archaeology

Did you know that the 'Dan' in Danmark literally comes from the Proto-Germanic for 'flat land'

Skilled Master

I have lived in Denmark all my life.
Education is known to be pretty decent, so it's not a bad choice to want to study there. However, I have no knowledge of the pricing for foreigners and the availability of classes/education being conducted solely in English.
Copenhagen is most likely the place most go to study, and therefore there is in general a lack of student housing. But it is a very expensive place to live, and tax rates ranges from approx. 32-58% depending on your income and town of residence. In turn, at least for Danes who pay tax legally, hospital and doctors fees, not to mention education, are all covered by the taxes everyone paid for.
Young people in Denmark loves to go out, party and drink, so you should be prepared for a big drinking culture. Food in general is expensive in Denmark, and since we have strict rules for food sold in stores, it goes bad quickly compared to other countries whose food is filled with preservatives.
Denmark is known to be a safe place, and also has one of the highest rates in solving crimes.
Denmark, or Danes, has a bad reputation for being racist internationally, part of it being that Denmark has a very strict immigration policy, because Denmark has some problems with immigration that they can't seem to solve.
If you live in the capital, one of the most common ways of transport is by bicycle, and it's relatively easy to get around that way.
Denmark consists mostly of islands, and the country has a long history of wars (i.e. Sweden and Denmark has the biggest number of recorded wars in the world between the two countries)
Because of the sea-climate, both winters and summers are very mild. Winters are relatively warm, and summers relatively cool. Be prepared for a cloud-covered sky and rain.
Anything else you'd like to know?
Btw the statue "The Little Mermaid" is actually as big as the name implies: "little". Most tourists are surprised to see a statue that is far from huge.

Minuo's Princess

It's a pretty fantastic place all around. I'd recommend it. Or, maybe one of the other Scandinavian countries.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff