Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Sex Symbol

I haven't lived there for 10 years, so I don't know if things changed, but where I was on Oahu things weren't too bad. The racism towards whites did exist when I was there but it was nothing serious or life threatening. A few people may be dicks there but when I was there most people were pretty chill about everything

Fashionable Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
Tiny Hefewy
I haven't lived there for 10 years, so I don't know if things changed, but where I was on Oahu things weren't too bad. The racism towards whites did exist when I was there but it was nothing serious or life threatening. A few people may be dicks there but when I was there most people were pretty chill about everything
Thank you very much! ^_^ by the way, would you say buy a house would be better than paying +$1000 for rent a month? Awkward question but I've been looking at those things. And is it hard to get employed?

Shirtless Sex Symbol

Serah Light Farron
Tiny Hefewy
Thank you very much! ^_^ by the way, would you say buy a house would be better than paying +$1000 for rent a month? Awkward question but I've been looking at those things. And is it hard to get employed?
I'll be honest I was staying on a military base during my few years there so I wouldn't be 100% sure. I would hope the economy there is doing well especially on such a touristy island, but honestly I have no clue and wouldn't want to steer you wrong either way in any of the decisions o.o
Serah Light Farron
pandaiish
ahhh sorry for the late reply but imo oahu is pretty great. I live here myself. Also Maui isn't too bad for white people because there's a big tourist industry there and you don't really want to scare away the people who make you a lot of money. However on oahu, there are the occasional bits of violence or prejudice against white people but it's generally not that bad as far as I've noticed. While I may get some other opinions on this I think that a place to generally avoid unless you're with your asian friends is China Town. It's difficult to navigate through the complex back routes of China Town on your own even without the stares or whispers that you're white. Taking someone who is well versed with China Town will help curb the stares and be a great guide.

Omg can we be friends? ;-; I have so many questions cx

Yeah totally. Ask me anything any time whee

Capitalist

Serah Light Farron
Hewo c;
Okay so after high school I've decided to move to the island of Oahu. I've heard there are a lot of racism (esp in Maui) of Haole (caucasian) people? I understand there is racism everywhere you go, But if it's true, is it bad? I apologize for if this question could be found offensive. I am Caucasian (I don't like saying White sometimes because I dont want to sound rude in anyway idk ._.) I just am curious over these things so I know what to expect .-.

heyo, caucasian born and raised on the island of maui!
I can definitely confirm there is a lot of prejudice against white people here. One of my common nicknames in highschool was "haole girl". Growing up here I'm pretty used to it? But you will definitely get it everywhere you go. Maui is a very mixed race area and I'd say whites are a minority here. It would definitely take a lot of tolerance to live here (my white mother once was kept out of a funeral because a grandma didn't trust "haoles" wink . I like the diversity of it though and wouldn't change it, just takes some time for people to warm up to you.
I haven't spent much time in Oahu myself (besides weekend shopping haha) but from what I gather it's a lot more white-accepting. Oahu is REALLY different from the other islands, esp. Honolulu. If you're moving to Honolulu expect a whole lot of Japanese tourists but theres a fair amount of haoles (probably the most in the islands). Islands like the Big Island (Hawaii), Maui and especially Lanai are more rural and so a lot of people can see haoles as "invaders". If you travel outside of Honolulu you will encounter more racism most definitely.
Also just a tip but, Hawaii is life is sometimes really hard! (In general) Oahu won't be as bad, but it gets really really really boring. Unless you love the beach, theres almost nothing to do. Make sure that you don't have to much of a glorified ideal of "Hawaii" it's beautiful, people are nice, but it's still got it's flaws. And bare in mind Hawaii is the most isolated place on earth, I had a few friends move here and felt claustrophobic! It's expensive here too, gas is expensive, milk is expensive, and the bus systems are really horrible. Everyone here works on "hawaii time" which means things get done a lot later than normal and everything moves slower. (I think it's better in Oahu though?) Don't mean to put you off moving here since it is a lovely place, but I know a few people who had "island fever" and ended up staying less than two years.
Just curious but what are you're reasons for wanting to move here? Do you mind if I ask where you're moving from? (Feel free to ignore this if you don't feel comfortable answering) Also, just curious as to why you choose Oahu? A lot of people do, and as a maui resident Oahu can be a lot like the mainland or atleast honolulu. If you're looking for a "hawaiian escape" I'd suggest maui or kauai.

(Sorry this ended up being longer than expected ... You can send me a pm or quote me if you have questions I'd love to help!)

Fashionable Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
hoshisuki
Serah Light Farron
Hewo c;
Okay so after high school I've decided to move to the island of Oahu. I've heard there are a lot of racism (esp in Maui) of Haole (caucasian) people? I understand there is racism everywhere you go, But if it's true, is it bad? I apologize for if this question could be found offensive. I am Caucasian (I don't like saying White sometimes because I dont want to sound rude in anyway idk ._.) I just am curious over these things so I know what to expect .-.

I can definitely confirm there is a lot of prejudice against white people here. One of my common nicknames in highschool was "haole girl". Growing up here I'm pretty used to it? But you will definitely get it everywhere you go. Maui is a very mixed race area and I'd say whites are a minority here. It would definitely take a lot of tolerance to live here (my white mother once was kept out of a funeral because a grandma didn't trust "haoles" wink . I like the diversity of it though and wouldn't change it, just takes some time for people to warm up to you.
I haven't spent much time in Oahu myself (besides weekend shopping haha) but from what I gather it's a lot more white-accepting. Oahu is REALLY different from the other islands, esp. Honolulu. If you're moving to Honolulu expect a whole lot of Japanese tourists but theres a fair amount of haoles (probably the most in the islands). Islands like the Big Island (Hawaii), Maui and especially Lanai are more rural and so a lot of people can see haoles as "invaders". If you travel outside of Honolulu you will encounter more racism most definitely.
Also just a tip but, Hawaii is life is sometimes really hard! (In general) Oahu won't be as bad, but it gets really really really boring. Unless you love the beach, theres almost nothing to do. Make sure that you don't have to much of a glorified ideal of "Hawaii" it's beautiful, people are nice, but it's still got it's flaws. And bare in mind Hawaii is the most isolated place on earth, I had a few friends move here and felt claustrophobic! It's expensive here too, gas is expensive, milk is expensive, and the bus systems are really horrible. Everyone here works on "hawaii time" which means things get done a lot later than normal and everything moves slower. (I think it's better in Oahu though?) Don't mean to put you off moving here since it is a lovely place, but I know a few people who had "island fever" and ended up staying less than two years.
Just curious but what are you're reasons for wanting to move here? Do you mind if I ask where you're moving from? (Feel free to ignore this if you don't feel comfortable answering) Also, just curious as to why you choose Oahu? A lot of people do, and as a maui resident Oahu can be a lot like the mainland or atleast honolulu. If you're looking for a "hawaiian escape" I'd suggest maui or kauai.

(Sorry this ended up being longer than expected ... You can send me a pm or quote me if you have questions I'd love to help!)

Thank you so much! & not too long! I like long replies because they usually give more information x I appreciate all the help I can get ^_^! I want to move to Hawaii because of the nature, the weather, its beaches (although I am naturally a redhead and I burn only loll), and where I live, its so tiny and boring (I'm from Dover, Delaware x3), Oahu seems big, in the way of population, its cities, beaches, not much of that here (google maps proves it, haha), There is one place in Maui I want to go, I know it is on the left side, I forgot the name xD. I wish to reside in Honolulu or Ewa Beach, Maybe even Kaneohe. I won't let Individuals hurt my stay, I will be the better person to ignore it x I don't find the racism very fair to white's although I won't sway a persons opinion, but speaking as I don't know them and I believe to treat others the way you want to be treated, I don't understand it. .-. Either way, I appreciate the reply sweetheart! Thanksies! x

Capitalist

Serah Light Farron
hoshisuki
Serah Light Farron
Hewo c;

Thank you so much! & not too long! I like long replies because they usually give more information x I appreciate all the help I can get ^_^! I want to move to Hawaii because of the nature, the weather, its beaches (although I am naturally a redhead and I burn only loll), and where I live, its so tiny and boring (I'm from Dover, Delaware x3), Oahu seems big, in the way of population, its cities, beaches, not much of that here (google maps proves it, haha), There is one place in Maui I want to go, I know it is on the left side, I forgot the name xD. I wish to reside in Honolulu or Ewa Beach, Maybe even Kaneohe. I won't let Individuals hurt my stay, I will be the better person to ignore it x I don't find the racism very fair to white's although I won't sway a persons opinion, but speaking as I don't know them and I believe to treat others the way you want to be treated, I don't understand it. .-. Either way, I appreciate the reply sweetheart! Thanksies! x

Glad to be of help! I hope everything works out for you!
Just a few random tips so you can fit in ahead of time!:
- Hugging is a big thing over here! (sort of weird but hugging is a way to great almost anyone? Even guys hug each other a lot? It confuses me. )
- People are really friendly. It isn't weird to talk to people in line or to a person next to you. People will do it to you so be prepared!
- Hawaii is really asian-influenced so expect a lot of rice and asian food (esp. japanese and filipino). "hawaiian-style" food is also really fatty (but soooooooo good)
- #1 thing that trips up mainlanders is that you must take off shoes at the door of someones house. Honestly It's weird to me that people don't in the mainland? Most people will give you a break since you're not from here but some people will find it insulting. Shoes can be dirty here so why wear them inside?
- also, a lot of the prejudice you'll get for being white is because people will assume you're a tourist (and we hate tourists). Try your best to seem like you know where you're going, maybe wear local trends, and try to learn how to properly pronounce things at least a little before coming here. It sounds like a lot of work but people will treat you differently if you can't pronounce street names properly. One of the most eye-rolling things here is when a new teacher or someone will pronounce "Kawika" as "Ka wee ka" instead of "Kavika". Don't worry though because you'll eventually pick up on those things.
- I don't think it's as bad in oahu, but 90% of locals speak pidgin (because of the language barrier back in plantation days between filipino, japanese, local people etc.), and it's sometimes really hard for mainlanders to understand. It'll take a while but you'll begin to understand the weird mix of english and other languages. (Oahu should be a lot better than any other island for this as well.)
- auntie and uncle can refer to anyone. usually your best friends mom will be called "auntie".
- don't believe weather reports hawaii weather doesn't make any sense. If it's supposed to be sunny it will probably rain.
- don't touch turtles
- don't step on the reefs
- spam musubi is really good and as unappetizing as Spam on top of rice wrapped in sea weed sounds I implore you to try it at least once.

Pup

13,975 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
I've lived in Oahu my entire life and yes there is racism.
However, I believe it's more about how you carry yourself.
Racism isn't really the problem, it's more that most transfer students (especially when I was in high school) were so use to sticking to what they knew and didn't venture out of their comfort zone when it came to trying to making friends. Most people won't reject being friends with someone based on race here.
Especially now that I'm in college I'd say that UH Manoa Campus is majority caucasians. So
I'm sure you'll be fine and I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

8,950 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Married 100
Nickeredz
I've lived in Oahu my entire life and yes there is racism.
However, I believe it's more about how you carry yourself.
Racism isn't really the problem, it's more that most transfer students (especially when I was in high school) were so use to sticking to what they knew and didn't venture out of their comfort zone when it came to trying to making friends. Most people won't reject being friends with someone based on race here.
Especially now that I'm in college I'd say that UH Manoa Campus is majority caucasians. So
I'm sure you'll be fine and I hope you enjoy yourself here.

Weeps! Thank you!! ^-^ x

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces