How often do you visit?

Every single day 0.47608024691358 47.6% [ 617 ]
A few times a week 0.19753086419753 19.8% [ 256 ]
Once a week 0.053240740740741 5.3% [ 69 ]
At least a few times a month. 0.27314814814815 27.3% [ 354 ]
Total Votes:[ 1296 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 70 71 72 > >>

WELCOME!!!
Welcome one and all for you Newbies, or for those of you who are looking in wonderment at all of the many avatars that seem to have somewhat of a sparkle against yours. I will teach you how to get that glimmering avatar you want and not get slaughtered by comments in the AT... should you dare go there. ^_^

Index
1- Welcome! and important news!
2- What to use this for.
3- General guidepoints to use for becoming a well dressed newbie
4- Avi examples ranging from lowest to highest.
5- FAQ / If you'd like to help us dress newbies!
6- Giveaways
7- Banners
8- Affiliate/sister Sites!
9- Seeking a RATE?

Our raters and avatar advice panelists... lol
Sid^s_girl46- Came up with the idea from a previous thread she started, and is now partnering with Bleach Squished Flowers to give advice to newbies and oldbies alike. She likes simplistic avatars and likes color coordination. Her style interests are a bit looser than that of semi_precious'.
semi_precious- She just joined the advice and rating panel. She is one who is a perfectionist when it comes to making your avatar look spiffy and fun, and who love rainbow colors!

wahmbulance exclaim !~IMPORTANT NEWS~! exclaim wahmbulance
9/24/2007: Sid AKA Sieber_girl is without internet access at home, so she won't be on that often! Sorry if this causes any troubles!

10/03/2007: Bleach has been MIA... so IDK where she's at, but what I do know is that she's being a Gaian Nudist! YAY!!! smile

11/07/2007: I am starting a photography contest! Please be sure to check it out!! Link! --&Sieber's photography contest!

exclaim If you have ANY questions, post them in HERE! We don't want our inboxes flooded with questions, as much as we love to help you out! whee exclaim
What to use this for!

This shoule be used for newbies or anyone in general that wants to wow the public. There are many aspects of designing an avatar, starting with coming up with a design idea, gathering the clothes and needed accessories, to compiling it all together... another thing is gold... that is somewhat of a limitation to what you can do, the next post will help you out with that!

GENERAL GUIDE POINTS TO BECOMING A WELL DRESSED NEWBIE

For some generic hints, here are some simple things to keep in mind:

1. Color Coordination - Pick 2-3 MAIN colors at most. Make them work! Use other colors to highlight!
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

2. Balance - If you have a red/orange based avatar, be sure that there's not too much red on top, or too much orange in the middle section. Also, if you have items, like your avatar, make sure it looks proportionate.

3. Don't clutter so much together -
It really makes your avatar look out of place.

If you must clutter! Make it tasteful! Decide which part of your avi is going to be cluttered and stick to it. We'd say the best part of the avi to clutter is the head! Feel free to layer on as many funky hats as possible! Fish-ballerina-maid? Why not?!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

4. Try and have something in each place of the avatar - Head, top, bottom, back, hand held, arms.... this makes your avatar look complete.

Our favorite thing to finish off an avi is by putting on gloves and watches for guys, gloves and bracelets for girls. It gives it an extra detail that many avi's do not share!

5. Many colors that are overdone and to be avoided - Try to steer clear of monochromatic or red/black avatars. You can use these, but you generally won't get good rates in the AT unless you can find a heck of a good way to make it all work.

Pick pieces that will be unique to your outfit and your outfit alone! Have fun!

6. When going in for a rate - Realize that many ATers will only rate if you have more than 4 items on your avatar, and they really are not fond of sets, because, duh, they are supposed to go together! Find a unique way of setting apart your fox demon from the rest with out having to resort to buying the tail along with the ears.

Plus nothing beats a random comment saying they love your avi!

7. It's always good to have a wish list in mind - Go to www.tektek.org/dream/dream.php and create an avatar that you want. When you finish creating it, a list will appear, along with how much gold and/or tickets you'll need to make your dream avatar a reality. Some of these could cost millions of gold, but it'll be worth it.

Tektek also allows you to expirement with new looks, so go at it! Just remember that even though it works on tektek, doesn't always mean it will work here on Gaia!

8.Keep a hold of all items you get - unless of course you don't really see a need for it in the future. You never know what and item in your inventory may inspire you to do.

Its too easy to buy and sell items, so that you can create a new outfit! what happens down the line when you wish you had that item? Oops! whee

9. Following trends - Trends on Gaia happen just like in the real world and just like in the real world following them can be costly! It is better to stick to your own quest and worry about them when you have extra gold to spare!

Though, sometimes it is always fun to splurge on those 'Bucked Teeth' or 'Ninja Scarf'. BUT make sure it will do your overall avitar justice!

These hints are just basic guidelines - you don't have to follow them. If you are wishing to take part in the AT, take a look around and see what other users are wearing to gain higher scores.

AND become one sexy beast of an avi! cool

Best immediate ways to spruce up a new avi: New hair from the salon!

Done with the basics? COMING SOON: How to become a Gaian Fashionista.

Sarma_Vassendian

My Advice to Aspiring Gaian Cosplayers

(most of this advice comes from real-life cosplay experience as well! xd )

1. Cosplay does NOT have to be perfect! Frankly, it wouldn't be much fun if it was always perfect, because part of the enjoyment comes from patching together a working costume from things that aren't supposed to go together. Just do the best you can with what Gaia has to offer, and you'll probably get a good response.

2. Be cautious of "cosplay items." You know those Ninja Bands that are perfect for Naruto cosplay? Well, there's a reason they are...that's what they were made for. I'm not saying not to use things like this, but if an item like this becomes the centerpiece of your costume, any originality and hard work you put into it might go unnoticed.

3. Price is unimportant. If you can put together a character costume for 6,000gg and it looks right, DO IT!!! Don't think that the costume is made better simply by adding more expensive items, what's important is to look as much like the character you're portraying as possible. On the flip side of that, don't permenantly settle on a cheap item if the more expensive one is really what looks best.

4. Keep an eye on Gaian clothing. Sometimes a Gaian item will look like something from another source just by pure coincidence. If you notice an item that inspires a cosplay idea and it doesn't seem to be a "cosplay item," you could find yourself making a big hit!

Here are a couple examples I made on tektek.org, followed by links leading to pictures of the characters they're based on:
Valkyrie Profile’s Lezard Valeth
http://millennial-fair.com/entertain/games/images/art-lezard.jpg

Witch Hunter Robin’s Robin Sena
http://www.animangaplus.it/img/uscite/allegati/21-02-2006/img/%5B1140521664%5D%20robin6.jpg
http://yaminouta.tripod.com/anime/WHRill03.jpg
AVI EXAMPLES, RANGING LOWEST TO HIGHEST

exclaim If you have any questions about these examples, please feel free to post them in the thread exclaim

Male:

Estimated Total: 1,552 Gold
(Estimated with known item values on 18 September 2006)

Estimated Total: 9,547 Gold

Estimated Total: 9,975 Gold

Estimated Total: 13,007 Gold

Estimated Total: 16,914 Gold
(Estimated with known item values on 12 September 2006)

Estimated Total: 28,584 Gold
(Estimated with known item values on 18 September 2006)<--- Just for fun. surprised

Female:

Estimated Total: 2,004 Gold

Estimated Total: 4,655 Gold

Estimated Total: 9,785 Gold
(Estimated with known item values on 18 September 2006) <--- this one is my fav! Sometimes being a crazy mofo is rather touching.

Estimated Total: 10,315 Gold
(Estimated with known item values on 11 September 2006)

Estimated Total: 12,084 Gold

Estimated Total: 16,096 Gold

exclaim If you have any questions about these examples, please feel free to post them in the thread exclaim
FAQ from newbies and others that we've recieved!
-Also how you can help us help newbs!

Here are some questions that I've been asked or that Bleach has been asked numerous times which we feel can help you all out!

1. What is an ATer?- I should probably discuss this. If one day you decide that you have a good enough avatar that you want rated, you might stumble across the forum known as "Avatar Talk." That is where the most elite group of Avatar Raters constantly converge to talk about your avatar, rate your/their avatars, come up with contests for the best dressed avatars, and on some instances, tell you in lame man's terms: 'Your avatar sucks.' Of course they don't say that, but that's one thing you could run across. This is a main reason why Bleach and I made this guide.

2. If I think my avatar is good, and I want to enter the arena, what should I do to make sure it will get good rates?- You should first and foremost look at the guidelines that we've provided. Also, make sure it will stand apart! Have a theme, themes are good, like "insane chef. or "Dr. kitty blue." for example. Then come up with a story behind it. Go to the avatar arena so you can get an example of what one looks like. Then go to the AT or for more constructive, helpful hints. For Newbies wanting to enter the arena, come here. Post your description as well as your avatar that you're entering... (it should be the same one that's pictured right by your post...) Then enter it!
If it's not rated well on the AT or here, you know there is something that needs changing.

3. What are some good colors to start out with?- i'd highly suggest not going with black or a monochromatic color that has grey... it's overly used unfortunately. I've seen blue and purple used well and red and pink. Blue and yellow, green and orange, blue and white, and brown and yellow, and teal and red. Red is another color that is over used. I guess as long as you can pull of the colors well, then you've got a good start.

4. How do you get more GOLD?- Well first off, all I have to say is that you should try not to BEG from other gaians... that is a sure way for you to NOT get gold. There are charities set up around gaia to help you out with these things. The two charites that are listed under our 'sister/ affiliates' post are 2 of the numerous places you can go to for help. Also check out the Gaia commerce. You can ask people for items that you want for a possibly a cheap price... but Usually it's best to just POST POST POST and do some POLLS! They quickly allow you to gain massive amounts of gold in a small amount of time!

5. If I want to be an AT rater, what should I know before rating?- Well it's always good to have an unbiased opinion. I'm not one for totally bashing on people's avatars... 1. not only is it very demeaning to other people who are trying their hardest as Newbies or even as older members to learn anything, but 2. It will make you seem like a straight out b***h...
You need to give constructive criticism. State something you like about the avatar, then give some hints on what they could do better with the avatar. Also, give a rate. Like 8.5/10. It is also helpful to give hints as to what other items would work well if you say something like "Those bani clips don't seem to work well, try a ballerina's circlet instead."

6. What are rates?- If you haven't noticed by now, the way to judge how well your avatar is, is to have it rated. How does the rating system work? usally it's set up in a 1-10 setting. 1 being the WORST, and 10 being the BEST i've ever seen in my life! You can do decimals, but only go one decimal place-like 8.5/10.

7. What are some of the best avatars you've seen? Personally for me (Sid^s_girl46,) I like the look of clean avatars. I'm not one for too much clutter anywhere, but then again, I've seen it done, and I've seen it work on some avatars. Bleach's avatar is a good example of having something that works! And really, it doesn't look cluttered. I'm also a fan of having just 2-3 colors in an avatar. The more colors you have, the harder it is to coordinate things. Also I'm a BIGGIE on the overall statement of your avatar and ORIGINALITY.
IF you have a theme to your avatar, be sure to let the rater know before hand... otherwise what could be a very good rate could look like this---> 2.1/10.

8. The AT has rude comments...- Well, normally that is expected. Don't fluster over it though. They are trying to help you out! I saw a girl one day who took offence to people telling her that she had too much cluttered on there, which caused her avatar to not work well. Please do keep in mind, the raters are there to help you, not to degrade your fashion sense in any way.

How to help us help newbs!
-So you want to help us to dress newbies? Well We thank you for your concern and want to help. So In order to help us with that, I have come up with a way to do so.

-In a PM, I want you to rate the following avatars, 1 guy/ 1 girl. Tell me what you would rate them as, and if there is anything, mention what some of the flaws are in the avatars.

-Follow this guideline:
Rate on originality:
Rate on creativity:
Rate on coordination:

Rates are on a scale from 1=bad - 10=GREAT THING EVER! You can have ONE decimal. such as 7.2 or what not.

Then explain what you have found wrong, without being critical, but helpful, and Come up with another tektek that will show what you mean.

-Then by PM I will let you know if you are eleigible.

-Some RULES:
*You must have been registered for at least a month
*You must be an active user
*You must be willing to come up with tekteks for other users/ help give advice.
*If you are using a mule account, or have another account that you have been active on, let me know.
*Respect all gaians
*Let me know (sid^s_girl46) by PM what your rating guidelines are if I choose you to be one of helpers. (How you rate, what you like to see and what you don't like on avatars.)
**This one is huge... DO NOT CALL NEWBS "NOOBS." There were many a time that I have argued with many people about what NEWB meant. Newb is a classification of newbies that need help, but do not obsessivly ask for gold. NOOBs are inconsiderate, but then again, at some point, we all are. So all Newbs are to be called as such, a NEWB! You have no idea how much that irritates me lol. xd

I take this seriously because we are trying to help newbs.

GIRL AVATAR:

MALE AVATAR:

Well, that's all for now... If I think of anything more to add, I will do so! ^_^
GIVEAWAYS!
Here, at least once a month, we will be giving away prizes!
This may help you to make your avatar spiffy, or complete a quest for you!

exclaim *^~*^~*^~*HOW TO GET ON THE LIST!*~^*~^*^~* exclaim
1. If you want to be entered for a drawing of the giveaway, you must at least have posted 3 times in this thread during the month.
2. You must be an active Gaian.
3. If you are a Newbie, you will be more in favor for getting a giveaway prize. (Because this is, after all, something to help newbies. ^.^)
4. No SPAMMING!
5. Don't go bashing on other people's avatars... it's down right RUDE!
6. Don't beg for us to give you the item. stare That's a given...
7. Bumping is okay, but please don't SPAM it with a page and a half of bumps... We know you want gold, just don't waste space with bumps please. Bump once a day if you feel the need to bump in here. There's the Chatter box for ultimate bumping.

wahmbulance *<><><>*This month's GIVEAWAY Prize!*<><><>* wahmbulance

exclaim exclaim gold, prize, something lol.. I really don't know yet... exclaim exclaim

exclaim *~* PAST WINNERS!*~* exclaim
None currently...

wahmbulance ~!~!~!Other Chances to win Gold!~!~!~ wahmbulance
For every person that is the first to post on the 20th page, they will get 200 gold! For every person to post on the 100th page, they'll get 1000 gold! This is a fun way to make this guide worthwhile as well.

exclaim >>>The GOLD List<<< exclaim
This is the list of people who have recieved gold.
Page 20---&pnai753 heart ~200 gold
Page 40---&coolkat07 heart ~200 gold
Page 60---Em_the_hpb heart ~200 gold

BANNERS!
YAY!!! We now have TWO!! We'd appreciate it if people would make more! ^_^
I'll give a voucher for one free art on my avatar charity thread!

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=17819955#909738905]
[img]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h67/everythingisgrey/RANDOMBANNAROFEVIL.jpg[/img][/url]

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17819955&page=1][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/hlayet/banner-1.jpg[/img][/url]

AFFILIATES, SISTER THREADS, SHOPS

User Image
Have an idea for an avi but just can't your brain juices flowing?? No problem! I'll help you design an avi!
Not only will it be amazing but made for your price range! Check it out! And while you're doing that, check out my quest!!

Sid^s art thread!! Currently it's only somewhat open right now because Sid doesn't have a functioning scanner... it's been broken since early June sadly. She's going to use a friend's scanner for the charity. When you make your post for your order, be sure to mention this guide! You'll get 50% off your order!!!

^*^*^Rates Anyone?^*^*^
Sid^s_girl46 and Semi_Precious will be giving rates for anyone that would like one. Please just post a request and if you have a theme, be sure to let her know... and also, if there is a story behind your avatar, let that be known as well!

The Raters
These raters have had numerous months in rating avatars and have visited the Avatar Talk forums. They have rated uncountable avatars and are here to give you a friendly dose of help that some ATer's would butcher and be quite rude about. Come here first before the AT in order to spiffy up your avatar and make it look like something that would kick the ATer's in the butt.

Sid^s_girl46 rates on- Three main things: creativness, and originality, and color coordination. No color should be out of place and matching is a MUST!

Semi_precious rates based off of- A perfectionistic scale. She will give you advice if something is out of place or if a clor doesn't seem to match with your avatar... she'll let you know.

TEK TEKS

Our staff can help you with tek tek designs... if you are looking for a tek tek, we'll both tek tek you to provide you with two differing outlooks.
If you'd like a tek tek, we need this info:

Skin color:
Hair style and color:
Eye style and color:
Mouth style and color:
What colors you want:
What colors to stay away from:
What items you like:
What items you don't like:

We hope you ALL use this to your maximum potential!
(This is Sid^s_girl46 mule/ non-mule account... The account that runs the art charity. lol)

Yeah, 50% off on art... get to ordering!
Yaaaaaay opened! Finally!! 3nodding
I figure that this won't be too hot of a guide, but I'm pretty sure we'll get a few hits.
Hey! No worries! How you dress on Gaia is pretty important to a lot of people! I'm sure we'll do just fine 3nodding
That's definitely true!
Hey, thanks for writing this. I've only been here a little short of 2 weeks, and I can say that your fashion guide really taught me a few things. I had no idea that the black thing had been overdone... (as you can probably tell from my avatar. sweatdrop ) All in all I'd say you've got a pretty good guide going here! 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff