Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've been vending on the marketplace for a little while now, and although I've been making some gold, I've made a few mistakes that made me angry with myself understand a few things about vending and the marketplace. I'm gonna share this knowledge with you, hoping that you won't make the same mistakes as me! rofl

This is NOT a guide to vending, just a few more tips that should be helpful in avoiding risky transactions and losing gold!
exclaim VENDING TIPS exclaim

Not sure what vending is? Check these guides out:
How to Make Your First 100k without Begging or Bumping
500g + 48 days = 1 Million Gold? (Guide)

The following tips are complementary to the above guides, so read them (guides) carefully if you don't understand what I'm talking about wink Or you can always ask, I'm sure someone will be nice enough to answer your question ^^
TIP 1 : Choose your items wisely.

This is common sense, but with the rush and excitement that come with an opportunity to make profit, sometimes you don't make the best decisions. If you're looking at an item you have never worked with before, stay cool and take the time to really look at the info provided by the marketplace. You should look into these more closely:

>>> Popularity of the item (Daily Total Units graph)
Is there a high demand for this item? If there isn't enough demand, the risk is that you might not be able to sell the item quickly. You might be stuck with it for several days or even weeks. You don't want that.

Acceptable: 40-100 units sold per day.
Good: 100-150 units sold per day.
Excellent: 150+ units sold per day.

You should not invest in items that get sold at less than 40 units per day if your only goal is vending and making a quick buck. It won't work as well as a more popular item.

>>> Current market price (Lowest buy now price in the listings) vs Average buy price

Sometimes you can find something that seems like an amazing deal, but when you look at the average buy price... not really!
E.g.: Lowest buy now price = 1000 gold;
Second lowest buy now price = 9999 gold.
You could buy at 1000 gold, and re-list the item at 9000 gold and expect to make a whopping 8000(-2%) gold profit... but then the average buy price turns out to be 800 gold. Unless someone is careless enough to buy an item worth 800 gold for 8000 gold, chances are it ain't gonna happen, especially when other factors are unfavourable (unpopular item, other users adding listings & selling for less, etc.).

>>> Check the general aspect of the Daily Average Price graphs, over 1 month, but also over 1 year.
If all the graph does is slope down, think twice before investing in the item. If you can't get the item sold IMMEDIATELY, chances are prices are gonna keep going down and you won't be able to get your gold back.

>>> Dare to buy.
You have to know your items really well to do this! Sometimes you look at an item and prices are incredibly low. You know there's no chance to make profit right away, but you also know that prices will go up again eventually. "Eventually" might be tomorrow, but it might be next week too. Take a chance! You don't have to sell right away. Buy low, wait... and sell high! I guess this is the very definition of hoarding whee Very profitable wink
TIP 2 : Know where and when to look for bargains.

I've noticed something about the marketplace... A glitch that we --vendors-- can exploit pirate Here it is:

The Lowest Buy Now Price (capital letters - the one above the graphs) often gets "stuck", it doesn't always show the actual lowest buy now price (no capital letters). Sometimes, the Lowest Buy Now Price is much lower than the actual lowest buy now price... When you notice this, stay on the item's page and refresh every once in a while. Why??? Because certain users list their items according to this single info, without looking at the actual listings!!! So even though the actual lowest buy now price is 3000 gold, if the Lowest Buy Now Price is 1500 gold, a careless user might list the item for 1000 gold! I've taken advantage of this glitch so many times! whee
TIP 3 : Choose when to sell.

If possible, don't list your items in the morning or middle of the day (when there aren't a lot of users online). Chances are there aren't enough users online to buy, but there is plenty of time for other users to also list their items... at a price lower than yours D: This reduces your chances of selling your item quickly. So it's best to wait for the evening or during the weekend (when there are a lot of users online) before listing you items.
TIP 4 : Don't be overly greedy.

Don't try to make more profit than you need to. If you make 10-15% of profit, it's alright! This kinda goes with the Current market price vs Average buy price advice... If you try to sell an item for a much higher price than it usually sells just because the market currently allows you to do it (e.g.: all cheap units sold, only expensive ones remaining), the risks are you might not be able to sell your item quickly. If other factors kick in, like if you bought an item thinking it was a great deal but it really wasn't, if the item is not that popular, if many other users listed theirs for a lower price and if the Daily Average Buy Price of the item has kept on going down for the past year, then you risk getting stuck with the item, praying for a peak.................. like me and my Solar Cloak sweatdrop
TIP 5 : Don't panic.

Sometimes you buy an item thinking you'll make a good profit but then prices drop suddenly. Stay cool, don't panic. Don't get angry with yourself either, you can't read into the future, you can't tell when prices are gonna drop. Keep your item and try to sell it later. No biggie. If prices never go back up... accept to sell with a loss, there's nothing much you can do, lol Remember, this is just a game XD
Aaaaaaand that's pretty much it whee I'm sorry if my tips sound so obvious, but to me, it wasn't obvious at all, I really had to learn this by trial and error!

heart I hope this turns out to be helpful heart
nice aviiiii 4laugh
Choco_Brownii
nice aviiiii 4laugh

thanks X3 The henna tattoo is soooo pretty, but soooo hard to use too!!
thanks! this is really helpful!

oh and nice avatar by the way!
everytime i try to vend i but the item with a 1.5+ deal and then i sell it in the market place and it dropped so fast! i checked the graphs and it said it sold over 200 a day and now i cant sell it! i dont want it. BTW i bought a devoted pawn. can you tell me how not to make mistakes like that?
umm i dont know why im saying this but i once sold my trendy dark skinny jeans for 1 gold emo

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff