Welcome to Gaia! ::

Melodious Gekko

12,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Champion 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Err, not too great at making topics, but I do love this new RIG theme! I thought it'd be fun to note all the references made in it with the items!

Knotty - Based on Twister.
Mister Moneybags - Based on Monopoly.
Pow - Based on "Bang!".
Acey Deucey - Both a reference to terms (Ace, Deuce) in a variety of games (card, die, etc) and a nod to AC/DC, the band.
Advancing Gambit - Based on Chess.
Chequered Punk - Based on Draughts (called Checkers in America).
Charming Bowler - Based on Hoop Rolling.
Confidential Mustard - Based on Clue(do).
Domina's Fall - Based on Dominoes.
Go Goldfish - Based on Go Fish.
Grotesque Operatives - Based on Operation.
Icy Inuit - Based on Don't Break the Ice, and visually resembles clothing from the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra TV shows .
Marble Bubbles - Based on Marbles.
Noughts and Crosses - Based on Noughts and Crosses (called Tic Tac Toe in America).
Pink the Elephant and Friends - Based on Elefun. The name may also be a nod to "Seeing pink elephants", the slang for drunken hallucinations.
Pinky Piglet - Based on Pass the Pigs.
Reversi Tragedy - Based on Reversi.
Risky Crusade - Based on Risk.
Settlers of Gaia - Based on Settlers of Catan
Unapologetic Sorry - Based on Sorry.
Wally's Wardrobe - Based on Where's Waldo (Actually called Where's Wally in the UK. D'oh!).
Wealthiest Player - Also based on Monopoly as well as Life.
Captain Bismarck - Based on Battleship, as well as a reference to the famous ship called the Bismarck, which was a battleship.
Mystery White - Also based on Clue(do) (The fish is a red herring).
Trivia Master - Based on Trivial Pursuit.
Overly Complicated Trap - Based on Mousetrap.
Hanafuda - Based on Hanafuda (image is from Summer Wars, which the description references).
Lovely Lovely Lady - Based on Pretty Pretty Princess.
Peppy Mint - Based on Candy Land.
Sweet Frosting - Also Based on Candy Land.
Questionable Beards - Based on "Guess Who?".
Cask of Tamarins - Based on Barrel of Monkeys.
Planchette Communicator - Based on an Ouija Board. The description is a reference to Florence and the Machine's "Seven Devils".
Bingo the Border Collie - Based on the children's song "Bingo", as well as the chance game.
The Twisted Apple Set (Sweet and Sour) - Based on Apples to Apples.
Petite Cerise Fille - Based on Hi Ho! Cherry-O.
Space Wreck - Based on Space Hulk (Warhammer 40K). The description is a reference to the NES game Bad Dudes.
My Friend Pippy - Based on My Friend Emily.

Add your knowledge of games, too!

Merry Muse

16,700 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
Lovely Lovely Lady is based on Pretty Pretty Princess.

Fashionable Phantom

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I don't think the Icy Inuit really is supposed to be an Avatar/LoK item. It doesn't fit the board game theme. sweatdrop

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
You should post pictures of the games biggrin It'd make it more fun trying to see where the similarities/references directly come from. I haven't heard of some of those games before.

Reindeer

the icy inuit item skirt post looks like the thing korra wears *u*

Trash Witch

43,740 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
The description and theme for Petit Cerise Fille reminds me of the board game called Hi Ho Cherry O.
One of my favorite games when I was really little. : 3

Magic Hobo

Hanafuda is based on Hanafuda cards. The cards are usually prettier to look at than the game is fun to play, s**t's kind of like go fish ate poker but more confusing and Japanese

Icy Inuit is actually based on Don't Break the Ice.

Sweet and Sour apples are based on Apples to Apples

Sweet Frosting and Peppy Mint are from Candyland

Twinky Dave's Senpai

Unleashed Dragon

The piglet is the game pass the pigs. The poses match how you score.

Melodious Gekko

12,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Champion 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Existential Existence
You should post pictures of the games biggrin It'd make it more fun trying to see where the similarities/references directly come from. I haven't heard of some of those games before.

I would separately, but I'm not sure what exactly people haven't heard of. I assume something like Twister, for example, would be obvious.

Also not sure on Acey Deucey. They ARE tennis terms, but the description implies some sort of dice game...

Hilarious Gaian

The Musical Ninja
Existential Existence

I would separately, but I'm not sure what exactly people haven't heard of. I assume something like Twister, for example, would be obvious.

Also not sure on Acey Deucey. They ARE tennis terms, but the description implies some sort of dice game...

Perhaps it's Yahtzee.

Lucky Saint

15,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Icy Inuit reminds me of that game, "Break the Ice"

God, people were hurt in that hellish game.

Scholarly Storyteller

57,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The Musical Ninja
Existential Existence

I'm sure even with common games like Monopoly there's probably someone out there who doesn't know what it is...especially games that are more common in some countries but not in others. I wonder if there are any games referenced that aren't usually played in the US

Dapper Darling

Cask of Tamarins refers to the old "Barrel of Monkeys" toy.

Mister Moneybags references the Monopoly banker mascot.

Planchette Communicator is a reference to Ouija boards.

Melodious Gekko

12,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Champion 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Existential Existence
The Musical Ninja
Existential Existence

I'm sure even with common games like Monopoly there's probably someone out there who doesn't know what it is...especially games that are more common in some countries but not in others. I wonder if there are any games referenced that aren't usually played in the US

Well, that makes sense. I'll get onto it with the ones I do know fully.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff