Welcome to Gaia! ::

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Okay, so unless you've been gone a long time (according to the internet time measuring standards) there's this space lady explorer pirating gal called Flynn who was brought from the dusty realms of forgotten and nearly abandoned NPCs to become the new face of a horrifying standard practice: The birth of high paying gold generators.

Also, playful naming of Flynn's Booty & Flynn's Chest didn't do much but add fuel to the concept that has been extraordinarily vicious: Flynn and her whore body and infected parts

You get petitions like this:

Quote:
The reason for this petition is to murder Flynn.
We all are aware that she is the cause of the inflation of the entire market place.
She is unable to control her chest or her booty.
And cause of that everything is too expensive to buy.
She is bad news and we must murder her right now.

Quotes like this :
Quote:
Oh please lord let this petition happen and have Flynn and her booty mutilated

Quote:
Flynn being a slut Offering up her booty to everyone

Quote:
I say we burn the witch! Lets go French Revolutionary war on here xD Riots, protesting! Fan art of Flynn being beheaded or burning at a stake..xD

Compare it to hate reactions with Jet & Cynus, who also have released multiple gold generators:
Quote:
You are THE WORST of all the characters who have run La Victoire. I hate the way you run the shop and you aren't producing nearly enough quality items in comparison to the amount of trashy items. It is really starting to turn me off of Gaia all together.

Quote:
I hate your* guts, make a bulletin* board for your crap on the home page, stop announce* spamming* us multiple times a day
*edited for misspellings and grammar misuse

I really don't understand the difference between the misguided vitriol directed at Flynn vs Jet/Cygnus. Yes, Gaia ******** up and are using NPCs to announce a thing, yes it's a pain in the a**, yes the higher ups aren't listening and it's ******** annoying.

Okay Slicky, I'm lost, wtf u sayin? (spooners)

arrow Compare Flynn's comments vs Jet/Cygnus's comments [minus people who evidently are spam swearers]

gaia_kittenstar While there has been unanimous agreement about the evils of gold generators, why does Flynn get accused of being a slut/whore/insert degrading female name here? Is it because she is associated with the beginning of the Cash Shop? Or is it because the beginning of serious gold generating RIGs began with her? Other thoughts? Internet misogyny?

classified_jet Jet n' Cygnus have released/been a part of multiple gold generator releases and oodles upon oodles of announcement, yet aside from the d**k posting about raping 'em, there hasn't been much vicious backlash. If anything, it looks more like requests/usual understandable complaints to tone it down. Why don't they get the kind of insulting vicious commentary like Flynn does? [the vast difference in complaints about the NPCs strikes me as rather odd]

classified_northkittenstar Bonus question: Why do you think that users get whipped into a frenzy and get buttmad enough that they will rip on fictional characters in disturbingly graphical ways?

gaia_gaiagold Bonus Question #2: Why should we care about a FICTIONAL MADE UP CHARACTER being insulted by people being dicks? IT'S IMAGINARY, FOR CRISSAKE.

arrow arrow My answer: Fake chicks existing being NPC characters or in video games or protagonists of videogames in hypersexualized bodies have effects that spiral into the real world, though. I mean, if fake characters get death rape threats, what's to stop it from crossing over to real chick game players. Imaginary doesn't make things permissible or acceptable. Especially when morons can't seem to differentiate between reality and fantasy to begin with.

Gaia is a place of escapism, it's a place to forget about the troubles of reality. Seeing that kind of degrading s**t when one receives enough of it in the real world is entirely unacceptable, in my opinion.

Ruthless Reveler

Idk people are dumb.

Do people even buy Flynn anymore? There are WAY better gold generators available. If they haven't updated it since its first release, Flynn gives out chump change in comparison to other generators.

Celestial Cleric

29,425 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Restorative Spirit 250
I see it as people taking the booty and chest in the physical meaning rather then the obvious fact she is a space PIRATE!!!, and then running with that. Putting all this vitriol and hate towards a fictional character over the marketing decisions and direction Gaia is going is sad, I know people care about and love Gaia but sometimes it can be taken to far.

Angelic Angel

31,125 Points
  • Master Librarian 500
  • Storybook Royalty 500
  • Party Machine 500
Gaia associated Flynn with gold generators and her fate was sealed the moment they were named -Flynn's Booty- and -Flynn's Chest-. It was no doubt a play on words.

Also Flynn's X was the first major Gold Generator, therefor most gaians will note that and take their anger out on the NPC that started it all.

Do I think most Gaia users are slut shaming women haters? No.

Tiny Alchemist

Flynn gets called a whore because her gold generators include the words "booty" and "chest" that's pretty much all there is to that. Jet and Cygnus have never released a gold generator called "Cygnus' Galactic Package" or anything of that nature. I dislike her being called a whore, but I understand why Flynn is called one and not the space twins 2.5

I think Flynn got more vicious comments just because of the timing. After a while we just got tired of complaining so hard... and a lot of the vicious people posting about it have been banned for said posting.

Magical Girl

22,575 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Team Jacob 100
You really expect decency from the folks who leave legit anger on a NPCs profile for a dolly website? I know where you're coming from Slicky and it irks me too, but you gotta take a step back and look at who you're talking about, where you're talking about them.
I honestly think its because Gaia cheekily named her gold gens "booty" and "chest", which has the double entendre of being body parts, as well as pirate treasure.

That, and its the internet emotion_facepalm people EASILY take things way too far because there are no real repercussions for their comments, cyber bullying laws aren't competent enough yet ( and she's an NPC, how could you cover an NPC by cyber bullying laws? Its really murky territory laws haven't caught up with. ). There is always ( at least as a female I notice these things ) a prevalent undercurrent of anti-feminism/misogyny thinly veiled as "just kidding around".

I can't tell you how many times the words "tits or gtfo" "get back in the kitchen" ect have been spewed at me online :/ But its "just kidding around" and I "shouldn't be so sensitive!" if I complain about it.

Sorry, may have gotten off topic a bit.
I think its funny that alot of people are mad at Flynn when its Gaia mods/admins that control it.
Cursing and threatening a npc is hilarious.

King Noob

It is pretty ********' dumb to get mad at the NPCs over anything.
They're just the medium for gaia's diarrhea.

But it's easy to see the connection with making Flynne out to be a slut. Gaia made it a**-easy.
Flynn's Booty? Flynn's Chest? The puns and ever-so-clever word play? Yeah, sex sells and they definitely whored that skank out. Weren't nuthin' subtle about it.

Rogue

Jet and the cat (or is jet the cat, whatever) give out items n s**t along with gold, and Flynn's booty gives just pure. At least that's my understanding. I don't even read past the first 3 words of those announcements.
Also Flynn kinda hailed the age of inflation so there's that

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

KaguraSakata
Putting all this vitriol and hate towards a fictional character over the marketing decisions and direction Gaia is going is sad, I know people care about and love Gaia but sometimes it can be taken to far.
It is pretty sad. Like I said in the other thread, expressing your distaste/burning hatred of a thousand dying suns/ect about business practice, I totally and completely understand

but then it gets focused on specific NPC?

Mind blown.

Especially since the LV shopkeeps have released far more potent gold gens than Flynn ever has and the backlash is essentially "yo, chill"

Devoted Husband

because we, as a society, hate women

there is a massive discord in how far you can go in life, even still, based on your gender

a massive difference in how your personal choices are responded to

a massive difference between whether you're considered a 'leader' or 'bossy'

you're 'no-nonsense' or a 'b***h'

we like to think we've passed the point of sexism but really it's evermore pervasive in society and thinks like this expose it for exactly what it is

... it is at least an interesting concept to work with and subvert in writing, but it illustrates it so very starkly

case in point:
my villain, who to this point has committed such crimes as slaughtering children and irreparably ruining people down to the soul level

... receives far less hate than Sam's mother
who is actually far less narcissistic and dangerous than he is

but she commits the dual crime of both occupying a position of power and not being dedicatedly maternal or warm

she has, objectively, not caused direct harm to a soul, and yet, the difference in reception

and I feel like that underscores my point fabulously

Lupine Hellraiser

Darksp
"Cygnus' Big Balls"

rofl
I'm shocked they haven't tbh.

Gaia stuck Flynn's face on everything, they did this to her. I used to actually like her, though I was never really into the storyline/NPCs.

Also based on some of the comments on Flynn's, maybe some people don't get that they are just NPCs? sweatdrop I mean one comment even asked her for a job in the cash shop.

As for the slut-shaming, booty...chest. Gaia threw her under the bus for that too. Not that it excuses it in the least.

Most of it honestly just seems like people need someone to blame and yell at, and since the staff has distanced themselves...NPCs are the target. Even if it doesn't make sense.

Desirable Businesswoman

Personally, I can't understand why someone would even think to call anyone by the names I've seen given to Flynn. Even more so why they would give it to a fictional character on a website. I've always thought of it as gross exaggeration of things they don't like. People get so angry and lash out over things that they take it out on an NPC to my eyes.

I find it sad, I liked Flynn as a space pirate and never connected 'Booty' and 'Chest' to sexual terms when I first saw them come out. I just figured she was being...ya know a pirate?

As for Jet and Cyrus, I'm not sure why people don't lash out at them more. I've seen them give out Santa's Sack, Divinity's Reach, Red Roses (I think that's what it was called), Candy hearts, Dice Roll, And all the card generators. And even though you have an option, although I think with Santa you didn't, to choose between gold or items these rigs had a much higher pay out then Flynn ever did. From what I remember, her highest was 500 mill in a Flynn's chest. Right now we have something in the cash shop that can go up to a billion.

I don't know, there's just a ton of anger flowing through the forums I guess.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Zaade
But it's easy to see the connection with making Flynne out to be a slut. Gaia made it a**-easy.
Flynn's Booty? Flynn's Chest? The puns and ever-so-clever word play?
Gaia's been doing d**k jokes and sex jokes forever, though, even with other NPCs n' items. And whatever it has been to equivalent Sasha as a skank who gets around.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff