Poll Whore!! 0.0625 6.2% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 112 ]
1 2 3 4 >

Fashionable Lunatic

11,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
.. does it bother anyone else that people whine about Tidus being pronounced "tie-dus".. I understand "tee-dus" is how the Japanese creators pronounced it. But I'm American dang it and tee-dus just sound weird.

Why i say it like "tie-dus"? I find it to be kinda like the greek name Titus but with a "d". we don't pronounce Titus as "tee-tus" but that's not the point Im getting at...

The real question is why get so mad when it's pronounced differently? My name is Sarah... in western countries it can be pronounced "sa-rah" or "sar-ah" but in japan, sarah is also pronounced "seer-ah" does it make them wrong? I don't think so because i know they are meaning the same person. So why is it wrong to say Tidus my own way if you know who I'm talking about anyways.

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
After Final Fantasy Dissidia I finally learnt to get used to Tee-dus but before I played that game I was stuck on pronouncing Tidus the same as you, couldn't stand thinking of pronouncing it any other way but after Dissidia I got used to pronouncing it Tee-dus and now it is stuck with me.
I just can't bring myself to say Tee-dus. I just can't.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Kuja9113
Same.

Neither can I bring myself to say Cypher, Aerith or Ultimeesha.
It's Seefer, Aeris and Ultimeseeya dammit!

Fated Paladin

Tie-dus just sounds infinitely better to me than Tee-dus. I called him Tie-dus for years even when I knew it was wrong, though at some point, I found myself pronouncing it correctly. So I call him Tee-dus now, even though I hate it. :V

Now if only I could do the same for Firion, Cecil, Lazard, Balthier, Quina, Zidane, Celes...
Seraphor
Kuja9113
Same.

But the real question is how to you handle your Quistis, Quina, and Zidane?

Syfer, Aerith (Aeris actually drives me NUTS), Ulti-may-see-ya, Kee-stis, Kee-na, Zi-dayne.

And hey, while we're at it. Eh-ee-ko, Say-bin, Seh-Less, Kreele, Fear-E-On, Seh-sul, and Yang (as in NOT Yong). The only name I've successfully change my pronunciation for is Marluxia from Kingdom Hearts. Zex-ee-on and Lex-ai-us I can't bring myself to change though.

Kether Taninniver
How do you pronounce Balthier? His name is actually spoken in game. confused

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Kuja9113
Seraphor
Kuja9113
Same.

But the real question is how to you handle your Quistis, Quina, and Zidane?

Syfer, Aerith (Aeris actually drives me NUTS), Ulti-may-see-ya, Kee-stis, Kee-na, Zi-dayne.

And hey, while we're at it. Eh-ee-ko, Say-bin, Seh-Less, Kreele, Fear-E-On, Seh-sul, and Yang (as in NOT Yong). The only name I've successfully change my pronunciation for is Marluxia from Kingdom Hearts. Zex-ee-on and Lex-ai-us I can't bring myself to change though.

Kwistiss, Kwina and Zidayne for me, although I'm not opposed to using Zidahn.
Ee-ko, Sah-bin, Seh-Less, Kreel, Fih-reon, Seh-sul, and Yang.

I can't say Syfer without imaging a certain large, green, insectoid pokemon.
I can't thay Aerith without thinking I have a lithp. (and the same goes of all the War of the Lions renames, seriously they changed every single S into a TH in that game)
I get Kee-stis and Kee-na, but I'm too used to Kwi to change now.

Fated Paladin

Speaking of pronunciation bullshit, if XIII's pronunciation is right, then the -mecia part of Ultimecia and Palamecia are pronounced completely differently, and now I can't figure out which way to pronounce Burmecia. xAx

Kuja9113

Kether Taninniver
How do you pronounce Balthier? His name is actually spoken in game. confused

Half my fail-names were said in some game >v>; But, from the moment I saw his name, I pronounced it Bail-thee-ur. I know it's Ball-theer but I can't say it, my brain sees Balthier and pronounces it the way I always have instead of the right way.
I don't care either way. Only two things I refuse to pronounce the way they should be pronounced are Aerith and eidolon.
DynaSuarez Wrecks
I don't care either way. Only two things I refuse to pronounce the way they should be pronounced are Aerith and eidolon.
Ugh I forgot about Ai-Doh-Lun. They were always Ai-Da-Lons in FFIX and dammit that's how they'll stay.

Aerith 5eva tho. Because Aeris just straight up isn't her name. emotion_donotwant
Don't care. I still say it with a "s".

-Shady Mooo-'s Husband

Sexy Marshmallow

21,900 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I have gotten used to Aerith now and I am with Kuja on the whole eidolon thing.

Eloquent Explorer

7,850 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Kuja9113

Aerith 5eva tho. Because Aeris just straight up isn't her name. emotion_donotwant

I've played FFVII, her name is totally Aeris.

Fashionable Lunatic

11,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
Terra is really Tina but i still call her "Terra"
I call Aerith, "Aeris"
Cecil "sea-cil"
Seifer "sigh-fer"
Quistis "ku-is-tis"
zidane "zi-dyane"
Ultimecia "Ulti-mesh-e-ah"
Celes "cel-sis"
Ramuh "Ra-ma-ha" (even though it's spelling totally different lol)
Galuf "gall-if"
Selphie "cell-fee"
Riona "Re-own-a"
every time i saw Hojo all i could say was what a hottie... my friend thought it was weird...
Edea "ed-a"

and my friend calls the guados.... avaguados rofl priceless..
Seraphor
Kuja9113

I've played FFVII, her name is totally Aeris.
You know I actually don't know why SE has never changed that in the subsequent releases of FFVII. You'd think they'd fix any mistranslations. I don't get why she's still Aeris in the o.g. game, but Aerith in literally everything else.

Also, I actually do think Aeris is a prettier name than Aerith, but I like the spelling of Aerith better.

Kefka Palazzo -FF6-
Terra is actually Terra to us yanks. She's only Tina in the Japanese version. Just like how Balthier is Balflear, Sabin is Mash, and Kefka is Cefca. Japanese names don't always equal English names.

But since you brought them up. Rah-muh, Gal-uff, Sell-Fee, Rih-No-Uh (you know her name is spelled Rinoa, right?), and Eh-Dee-Uh.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff