Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

You ever wonder why out of all the white people in the Mortal Kombat universe that the creators decided to have the one and only black man (at the time) be the chosen one to get his arms replaced with silver arms? Wasn't this a gimmick better suited for one of the plethora of white characters that they needed gimmicks for?

Steadfast Defender

It's because FIGHTAN GAME =/= Horror Movie, so they settled for maiming him instead of killing him.

Vermillion Bibliophile

I always figured they just couldn't come up with some form of power to give him so it was a "Uh, let's give him robot arms and super strength" type deal.

Fashionable Raider

Because he's black.

Interesting Codger

2,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Cyrax (who also seems to be black, or at least has dark skin), Sektor, Smoke, and Sub-Zero also have metal arms or come in metal-armed variants. emotion_awesome

Eloquent Streaker

I suppose next you're going to ask why the only black guy in the Soulcalibur franchise is a villain.

Seriously, is this really an issue?

Bryagh's Significant Otter

Virtuous Man-Lover

Because... otherwise he'd just be a generic black guy?

Jax himself was literally just a black guy to -have- a black guy. He had no personality, and outside of bionic arms he had literally -nothing- unique going for him at all... except that he was black.

Imagine Jax if he had no bionic arms and was white. He'd literally be 'that white guy.'

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWee yea ra enne ar sar. Wee yea ra enne ar dor
Wee yea ra enne ar ciel. Rrha yea ra ieeya en near

Well, if you go by the movies, he got the metal arms because he felt he wasn't strong enough to rumble with the big guys.
first theory:
shang tsung morphed into jax and ripped off the real jax's arms.

second theory:
jax needed to enhance his strength a little.

the truth was finally revealed in mk2011:
ermac caused jax's arms to blow up.
Based on the movie, Jaxx was also a mercenary-type like Sonya blade. If I can recall, he was in some kind of military clinic where he had his arms placed. It was his choice, too.
the real answer was revealed in mk9 - ermac destroyed jax's arms.

Shameless Mystic

Because they decided "being black is a gimmick" is a tad racist.

Greedy Consumer

a white person with shiny arms, well they already had kano with a semi-shiny face, but too shiny and whity be blinding the audience lol
Requiem ex Inferni
I suppose next you're going to ask why the only black guy in the Soulcalibur franchise is a villain.

Seriously, is this really an issue?

^ This.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas