Welcome to Gaia! ::

SamWeiki's Partner

Newbie Conqueror

30,175 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
Anybody watch the new season of the Vikings?

What do you think will happen next?

Go Ragnar Lodbrok!
It made me so mad when they other lady got pregnant. He is so stupid to think only of how losing the baby affect him. I know back then that's really how the men thought but come on. Then he acted all surprised when she left him because he wanted to marry that women. I hope she finds better.
I watch it. Its really good. biggrin

Profitable Hunter

7,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Profitable 100
I LOVE it.

SamWeiki's Partner

Newbie Conqueror

30,175 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
annibellia
It made me so mad when they other lady got pregnant. He is so stupid to think only of how losing the baby affect him. I know back then that's really how the men thought but come on. Then he acted all surprised when she left him because he wanted to marry that women. I hope she finds better.

good for her...

Wintry Avenger

annibellia
That's not so much about the men back then but about Ragnar himself and the Viking history/myths.

Wintry Avenger

I love it, but I'm pretty sure I know the general direction because I'm fascinated with Norse mythology and things of that nature. I'm really curious about where they're going to take Athelstan, though, because they seem to have based him off two separate characters in history/myth.

Lagertha is the queen, though. My fave.

Darling

I'm late to the show. I didn't watch the first season when it came out. I caught a few episodes on in the middle of the night before season 2 premiered, though. And the new one, of course. Now I'm really interested but I don't actually know what is going on. emotion_facepalm

I love Ragnar's hair. And Lagertha's. It's ridiculously pretty, even when messy.

I'm glad their son decided to go with his mother.
obamaurmama
annibellia
That's not so much about the men back then but about Ragnar himself and the Viking history/myths.
That was what I was basely saying. It is a show about Viking culture.
I really like it so far...its just that I thought the brother fighting against Ragnah would be more drawn out...not have a fight right from the start and thats it with fighting against his brother...it made it seem like the writers changed their minds with the plot.

SamWeiki's Partner

Newbie Conqueror

30,175 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Alchemy Level 9 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
Girl With The Windex Eyes
I really like it so far...its just that I thought the brother fighting against Ragnah would be more drawn out...not have a fight right from the start and thats it with fighting against his brother...it made it seem like the writers changed their minds with the plot.

i realized that too

Wheezing Gekko

annibellia
In Viking culture it was not uncommon for a man to have mistresses outside of relationships (as mentioned in the show) as long as the father can support the children. There are many occasions of this mentioned in the Sagas of Iceland. Even if the mistress is married to another man, as long as the father of the child can support him it was usually considered acceptable.

I'm not saying Lagertha's reaction was wrong. She was surprised by the news and arrival of Aslaug, but I think her reasons for being upset and leaving had less to do with Ragnar sleeping with another woman and more due to the fact that she felt both insulted and inferior to Aslaug. After all, each time Lagertha was impregnated the child died before or after birth with the exception of Bjorn. More than that, she was the daughter of two legendary characters, the once Valkyrie Brynhildr, and descendant of Odin, Sigurd from the Volsung Saga.

So although what Ragnar did was not uncommon to the people of the North at the time, he wasn't...smart about doing it. After all, Lagertha is a prideful woman who wants whats best for her family.
(Bit of a long post, but anyone who watched the episode should read it 3nodding )
Straliym Eylesin
annibellia
In Viking culture it was not uncommon for a man to have mistresses outside of relationships (as mentioned in the show) as long as the father can support the children. There are many occasions of this mentioned in the Sagas of Iceland. Even if the mistress is married to another man, as long as the father of the child can support him it was usually considered acceptable.

I'm not saying Lagertha's reaction was wrong. She was surprised by the news and arrival of Aslaug, but I think her reasons for being upset and leaving had less to do with Ragnar sleeping with another woman and more due to the fact that she felt both insulted and inferior to Aslaug. After all, each time Lagertha was impregnated the child died before or after birth with the exception of Bjorn. More than that, she was the daughter of two legendary characters, the once Valkyrie Brynhildr, and descendant of Odin, Sigurd from the Volsung Saga.

So although what Ragnar did was not uncommon to the people of the North at the time, he wasn't...smart about doing it. After all, Lagertha is a prideful woman who wants whats best for her family.
(Bit of a long post, but anyone who watched the episode should read it 3nodding )
See that is what I was saying. Back then they felt like they could do what they want. It made me mad when he said that he was hurt and found the mistress in the show. Like her feelings didnt matter. Then he acted suprised when she left. I could see why she left he insulted her plus lied.

Wheezing Gekko

annibellia
Straliym Eylesin
annibellia

See that is what I was saying. Back then they felt like they could do what they want. It made me mad when he said that he was hurt and found the mistress in the show. Like her feelings didnt matter. Then he acted suprised when she left. I could see why she left he insulted her plus lied.
You're quite right, but don't think that women in Northern societies had no power and that all the men did as they wanted all the time. Aslaug epitomizes that with her choice to seduce a married jarl, has no male attendants, and goes where she wants. Although I forget her name at the moment, there is a woman in the Sagas of Iceland who led men and women to Iceland where they settled. She was their unofficial governor and divided the lands among those who went with her.

And if you think about it, Lagertha had the choice to stay or go. In many societies she would have no choice but to stay home with the new wife, but we see here that she had the ability to make her own decision and divorce.

Ruthless Tactician

12,950 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • 50 Wins 150
I really think Aslaug is going to cheat on Ragnar at some point. It's obvious she's a power-grubbing wench and very possessive.
At the same time, the actress plays her so well.

I also think Rollo is going to become Ragnar's anchor to sensibility in Lagartha's absence... But that's just my crack theory.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff