Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://screencrave.com/2009-11-11/twilights-bella-swan-is-a-feminists-nightmare/

Quote:
Plenty of vampire-werewolf angst will be hitting the big screen later this month when The Twilight Saga: New Moon debuts in theaters across the country. The stories, penned by author Stephenie Meyer, have resonated with teen girls everywhere who affectionately call themselves, Twihards. This article is written from the perspective of someone who wasn’t familiar with the books, but decided to give the film a chance, and was thoroughly turned off by everything it had to offer.

The protagonist Bella Swan, isn’t a positive representation of what any young girl should aspire to be. She has no identity of her own and is under the constant influence of the male figures in her life. That type of nonchalant attitude towards her manipulation isn’t something that should be projected, especially to women in her age group who are starting to date for the first time.

Here’s the problem with Twilight…

Bella Constantly Needs a Male Figure in Her Life.

First Bella lives with her dad, then she becomes immediately infatuated with Edward and from then on, the vampire occupies her thoughts. In New Moon when he takes a leave of absence what’s a girl to do? Find something in them self? NO! Find another man! Enter Jacob, another troubled male figure who helps her cope with her loss and then leaves her hanging. Whatever happened to sitting down and having some me time?

Bella and Edward’s Double Standard

In Twilight, Edward is pretty much a stalker. He lurks in the shadows and follows Bella’s every move and even goes as far as watching her sleep. For some odd reason that’s considered sexy and dangerous, but in a good way. If the roles were reversed and a woman did that, she would immediately be labeled as a psycho, and the men in the white coats would come after her, but for some odd reason when Edward does it, it’s “romantic.”

Bella is a Shell of a Human Being.

She has no identity of her own, and literally loses her mind without the constant influence of vampire boy. At the end of Twilight, when Edward attempts to leave her in the hospital, she almost gives herself a stroke. Again in New Moon, when he tells her he has to go (because he’s a danger to her), she’s shown on the ground in the fetal position, looking a junkie whose about to kill herself. I get that they have a chemical bond, but they both exhibit actions towards one another that looks more like a drug addiction not a relationship. Hell, they can’t even have sex because of it, it sounds like they truly just need a fix. What kind of role model is that for 13-year-old girls who think that their crush on Johnny is exactly the same? It’s not okay!

Twilight Objectifies Women

Typically when you think of women being objectified in film it has to do with sex or nudity. In this case it has to do with both Edward and Jacob’s constant coddling of Bella. It’s as if she’s a fragile flower who always has to be protected. Both men make it their life’s work to keep her safe, even more than her own father does. Where’s her brain? Where’s her own sense of self?

This is Not a Healthy Relationship

Edward gets Bella to leave her family and friends to appease him, which eventually leads to marriage and a half vampire baby (which shouldn’t be possible since he’s dead)! It’s not OK for anyone, let alone a teenage girl to toss everything to the wind at a boyfriend’s request. It’s also not healthy for you to be drawn to someone who constantly reminds you that he wants to eat you for dinner. Bella really only connects with Edward on a chemical level, and their connection causes her to nearly kill herself multiple times over – that sounds more like meth than love to me.

Overall…

These are just a few of the major feminist issues with Stephenie Meyer’s leading lady. For something created by a woman directed at young women it’s sad to see so many negative characteristics in a female driven story. Bella isn’t a strong character and shouldn’t be revered for her behavior in these films. She’s nothing more than a shadow for a man rather than a pillar for herself and not only is that dangerous but it’s a discouraging message to send to girls.

Do you think Bella Swan is a bad influence for young women?

To be fair, I suggest seeing Twilight for Guys, which I find absolutely nothing wrong with.

Anyways, to be serious, it's also pretty racist. The thing about the Native American being a wolf person is straight from the Curse God put on Native Americans in the Book of Mormon. Then there's the cultish "protect the family's secrets". This is obviously a metaphor for staying in the cult.

Stephenies Myer has also donated ten percent of her income to the Church of Mormon, which fund anti-gay, and anti-abortion lobbies.

Dapper Genius

Dermezel
http://screencrave.com/2009-11-11/twilights-bella-swan-is-a-feminists-nightmare/

Quote:
Plenty of vampire-werewolf angst will be hitting the big screen later this month when The Twilight Saga: New Moon debuts in theaters across the country. The stories, penned by author Stephenie Meyer, have resonated with teen girls everywhere who affectionately call themselves, Twihards. This article is written from the perspective of someone who wasn’t familiar with the books, but decided to give the film a chance, and was thoroughly turned off by everything it had to offer.

The protagonist Bella Swan, isn’t a positive representation of what any young girl should aspire to be. She has no identity of her own and is under the constant influence of the male figures in her life. That type of nonchalant attitude towards her manipulation isn’t something that should be projected, especially to women in her age group who are starting to date for the first time.

First Bella lives with her dad, then she becomes immediately infatuated with Edward and from then on, the vampire occupies her thoughts. In New Moon when he takes a leave of absence what’s a girl to do? Find something in them self? NO! Find another man! Enter Jacob, another troubled male figure who helps her cope with her loss and then leaves her hanging. Whatever happened to sitting down and having some me time?

In Twilight, Edward is pretty much a stalker. He lurks in the shadows and follows Bella’s every move and even goes as far as watching her sleep. For some odd reason that’s considered sexy and dangerous, but in a good way. If the roles were reversed and a woman did that, she would immediately be labeled as a psycho, and the men in the white coats would come after her, but for some odd reason when Edward does it, it’s “romantic.”

She has no identity of her own, and literally loses her mind without the constant influence of vampire boy. At the end of Twilight, when Edward attempts to leave her in the hospital, she almost gives herself a stroke. Again in New Moon, when he tells her he has to go (because he’s a danger to her), she’s shown on the ground in the fetal position, looking a junkie whose about to kill herself. I get that they have a chemical bond, but they both exhibit actions towards one another that looks more like a drug addiction not a relationship. Hell, they can’t even have sex because of it, it sounds like they truly just need a fix. What kind of role model is that for 13-year-old girls who think that their crush on Johnny is exactly the same? It’s not okay!

Typically when you think of women being objectified in film it has to do with sex or nudity. In this case it has to do with both Edward and Jacob’s constant coddling of Bella. It’s as if she’s a fragile flower who always has to be protected. Both men make it their life’s work to keep her safe, even more than her own father does. Where’s her brain? Where’s her own sense of self?

Edward gets Bella to leave her family and friends to appease him, which eventually leads to marriage and a half vampire baby (which shouldn’t be possible since he’s dead)! It’s not OK for anyone, let alone a teenage girl to toss everything to the wind at a boyfriend’s request. It’s also not healthy for you to be drawn to someone who constantly reminds you that he wants to eat you for dinner. Bella really only connects with Edward on a chemical level, and their connection causes her to nearly kill herself multiple times over – that sounds more like meth than love to me.

Overall…

These are just a few of the major feminist issues with Stephenie Meyer’s leading lady. For something created by a woman directed at young women it’s sad to see so many negative characteristics in a female driven story. Bella isn’t a strong character and shouldn’t be revered for her behavior in these films. She’s nothing more than a shadow for a man rather than a pillar for herself and not only is that dangerous but it’s a discouraging message to send to girls.

To be fair, I suggest seeing Twilight for Guys, which I find absolutely nothing wrong with.

Anyways, to be serious, it's also pretty racist. The thing about the Native American being a wolf person is straight from the Curse God put on Native Americans in the Book of Mormon. Then there's the cultish "protect the family's secrets". This is obviously a metaphor for staying in the cult.

Stephenies Myer has also donated ten percent of her income to the Church of Mormon, which fund anti-gay, and anti-abortion lobbies.

Do you have a source for the donation information? Not that I don't believe you but for reference. If anything this will forever cement in my mind just how awful she is in all respects. Terrible writer, terrible person.
welcome to hollywood
DrCongressmanPHD
Dermezel

Quote:

Overall…

Do you have a source for the donation information? Not that I don't believe you but for reference. If anything this will forever cement in my mind just how awful she is in all respects. Terrible writer, terrible person.

http://www.homorazzi.com/article/twilight-stephanie-meyer-prop-8-mormon-anti-gay-donation/

Quote:
So I had no idea, but Stephenie Meyer, the author of this Twilight Series I’ve VAGUELY heard about, grew up Mormon. Her family is Mormon, she donates to the Mormon church and after the $140 million opening of New Moon this weekend, is now nearing Oprah-rich.

So there’s a database of Prop 8 contributers and Stephenie Meyer is not one of them listed publicly, but the New York Times is currently sleuthing around after a tip off that she is indeed putting her fist into the Prop 8 money bowl. This wouldn’t be the first time that someone has decided to strike their name from the record though is it? I wrote a Saturday Submission back in August, pre-cast member days, on how the president of Cinemark is a contributor towards Prop 8 and how I won’t put my money into the company in good conscience. In it I also mentioned Richard Hayne, owner of Urban Outfitters, and how he has decided to strike his name from the records, probably in an attempt to keep the gays shopping at his chain. Honestly, without them, he’d be a squeegee kid.

Well, Stephenie Meyer has not said a word in favor for or against anything to do with gay marriage, except for one thing. Under Mormon Church tithing, 10% of church donations go to charity and like-minded causes. So in theory, the money Stephenie Meyer is giving to the Mormon Church is going towards publically advocating anti-gay propaganda, as we know the Church does and has done with their tacky and disgusting public service announcements like A Storm is Coming. Kinda busted.

She says she is forced to in order to live. But she has millions of dollars. She could move out of Utah.

Dapper Genius

Dermezel
DrCongressmanPHD
Dermezel

Quote:

Overall…

http://www.homorazzi.com/article/twilight-stephanie-meyer-prop-8-mormon-anti-gay-donation/

Quote:
So I had no idea, but Stephenie Meyer, the author of this Twilight Series I’ve VAGUELY heard about, grew up Mormon. Her family is Mormon, she donates to the Mormon church and after the $140 million opening of New Moon this weekend, is now nearing Oprah-rich.

So there’s a database of Prop 8 contributers and Stephenie Meyer is not one of them listed publicly, but the New York Times is currently sleuthing around after a tip off that she is indeed putting her fist into the Prop 8 money bowl. This wouldn’t be the first time that someone has decided to strike their name from the record though is it? I wrote a Saturday Submission back in August, pre-cast member days, on how the president of Cinemark is a contributor towards Prop 8 and how I won’t put my money into the company in good conscience. In it I also mentioned Richard Hayne, owner of Urban Outfitters, and how he has decided to strike his name from the records, probably in an attempt to keep the gays shopping at his chain. Honestly, without them, he’d be a squeegee kid.

Well, Stephenie Meyer has not said a word in favor for or against anything to do with gay marriage, except for one thing. Under Mormon Church tithing, 10% of church donations go to charity and like-minded causes. So in theory, the money Stephenie Meyer is giving to the Mormon Church is going towards publically advocating anti-gay propaganda, as we know the Church does and has done with their tacky and disgusting public service announcements like A Storm is Coming. Kinda busted.

She says she is forced to in order to live. But she has millions of dollars. She could move out of Utah.

Just great thanks. No surprise here I guess but she is awful.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
I think Nostalgia Chick rips Bella pretty well.
DrCongressmanPHD
Dermezel
DrCongressmanPHD
Dermezel

Quote:

Overall…

Quote:

Just great thanks. No surprise here I guess but she is awful.

Dermezel, thanks for sharing. This made me feel good, because I thought the books were awful too, and this just gives me more of a reason to hate them...
This is her only redeeming point, that she trolls the feminists by existing.
Isn't this kinda... old news? I mean, people have been bitching about Bella being a terrible role model for girls and Myers helping fund prop 8 since... the first movie and prop 8.

Dapper Explorer

Lol, even when talking about Twilight of all things, Dermie is unable to think of something to say.

Anyway, Movie Bob already beat you to this whole discussion, and it was more interesting when he did.

8,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I never liked Bella when I read the books (I read the books first, then saw the movies). I felt she was a whiny b***h. >>

However, there are some things that are wrong in that article. I can tell the writer never read the books.

But all in all, I grow tired of the massive amounts of people who like to find ways to trash popular movies. Twilight is being treated just like Harry Potter was. Why do people have to make such big deals of these things?

And while we're at it, as if being interested in vampires is a new thing. rolleyes
I am willing to bet that before Twilight ever came out, there were still plenty of teens interested in the romance of vampire stories.

7,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
That's the beauty of feminism. A woman should be free to act however she wants. Regardless of how tasteless or awful or whatever it is.

The whole idea is that she won't be considered a reflection on every other woman.

7,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Kojima Michiyo
I never liked Bella when I read the books (I read the books first, then saw the movies). I felt she was a whiny b***h. >>

However, there are some things that are wrong in that article. I can tell the writer never read the books.

But all in all, I grow tired of the massive amounts of people who like to find ways to trash popular movies. Twilight is being treated just like Harry Potter was. Why do people have to make such big deals of these things?

And while we're at it, as if being interested in vampires is a new thing. rolleyes
I am willing to bet that before Twilight ever came out, there were still plenty of teens interested in the romance of vampire stories.

Like, for example Buffy.

Or Anita Blake.

Both of which are written quite a lot better than Twilight.

However, I must say, being a teenager and crushing on boys is a lot like being addicted to crack. I remember my whole teen years were tainted by the amount of angst that I spent on one guy or another. Seriously, I have the journals to prove it. Perhaps that is why so many teens identify with it.

8,200 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Oni no Tenshi
Kojima Michiyo

Like, for example Buffy.

Or Anita Blake.

Both of which are written quite a lot better than Twilight.

However, I must say, being a teenager and crushing on boys is a lot like being addicted to crack. I remember my whole teen years were tainted by the amount of angst that I spent on one guy or another. Seriously, I have the journals to prove it. Perhaps that is why so many teens identify with it.

Exactly.
And I do agree that Twilight is one of the worst vampire stories that ever existed, but to me it just seems like since it's popular, so many people have to hate it that much more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff