This poll closed on April 14, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
< 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 12 >

Dapper Dabbler

2,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I know what you mean. My best friend was moved up into the challenge classes because the teacher thought that he was too smart to be in the normal classes. So the teacher talked to his mom, who agreed, and he was forced to move into the harder class even though he didn't want to. And was forced to do more work. I don't think its fair, but if he hadn't been moved into them we probably wouldn't be friends so I am glad that he was forced to move into my classes. whee xp
Karla_alexandria
De Profundis
_Joel_
Propaganda
Look, if 'Annie' wasn't doing her work correctly, the teacher had a right to place her in an environment of her appropriate learning capacity. She wasn't saying that Annie was dumb- ANNIE DIDN'T DO HER HOMEWORK.

If Annie had cared that much about her class, she should have gone to your teacher with an explanation, not crying about it after ten missed assignments.
she did and she was trying to make up the homework, but she has "problems" at home

If her home problems are preventing her from being able to keep up in a higher-level class, then it seems that it would be best for everyone involved if she steps down and takes a class for which she can complete the work. When her "problems at home" are sorted out, perhaps it can be arranged for her to re-join the more advanced courses.

At least your polite and make sense when saying that. Can't argue with a good point if it's put in good words.

Thank you.
De Profundis
Karla_alexandria
De Profundis
_Joel_

If Annie had cared that much about her class, she should have gone to your teacher with an explanation, not crying about it after ten missed assignments.
she did and she was trying to make up the homework, but she has "problems" at home

If her home problems are preventing her from being able to keep up in a higher-level class, then it seems that it would be best for everyone involved if she steps down and takes a class for which she can complete the work. When her "problems at home" are sorted out, perhaps it can be arranged for her to re-join the more advanced courses.

At least your polite and make sense when saying that. Can't argue with a good point if it's put in good words.

Thank you.

Praise given were praise deserved. 3nodding You're welcome sir
Jaded_BasketCase
I know what you mean. My best friend was moved up into the challenge classes because the teacher thought that he was too smart to be in the normal classes. So the teacher talked to his mom, who agreed, and he was forced to move into the harder class even though he didn't want to. And was forced to do more work. I don't think its fair, but if he hadn't been moved into them we probably wouldn't be friends so I am glad that he was forced to move into my classes. whee xp

I fail to see how the teacher is at fault here. He/she obviously felt that the student was not being challanged enough and thought that he would receive a more valuble education in a more advanced class. The teacher should be commended to recognising that. It is unfortunate that the parent "forced" the student to be in a class in which he had no desire to be, but it is equally unfortunate that the student did not want to take advantage of the opportunity to work harder and possibly learn more.
_Joel_
Ok, theres a teacher at my highschool who is always budding into my friends and my lives and just really getting on my nerves

(names of my friends have been changed)

example one:
My friend 'Annie' was having a hard time at home and it effected her work. Although she is a smart girl, her grades started to slip. My teacher (at teacher/parent confrences) told her parents that she thought 'Annie' should be placed in regular classes. So her parents agreed to it and Annie was placed in them during the MIDDLE of the school year, changing her WHOLE lin of classes. So she pretty much told Annies parents that annie wasn't smart enough and just becuase she was doing bad in her class meant she was doing bad in all her other classes and she wouldn't be able to raise her grades again.

Example two:
My friend 'Luna' wore some really baggy black pants (from hot topic) and a black dog collar she barrowd from another friend to school. The next day Luna was pulled out by my teacher at the beginning of class and was gone for 5-6 minutes. When she came back she told us that my teacher had said she thought she had dressed wrongly and that she shouldn't make fashion statemeants but instead work on her school work. She also old Luna that she had a student who started to dress like she had and their grades fell. so she pretty much told her that if she dressed 'gothic' her grades drop badly

Example three:
This ones about me, ok I'm not the strongest in math right but I keep a c-b grade. Well when it came time to pick classes for next year my teacher told me she thought I would be able to make it through chemistry alright and that she would place me in honors again. THEN she was talking to my mom (parent/teach night for half 4th term) and she told my mom that she hadn't even recomended me to the people who help place the classes. She had also told my mother that she told me she would to "keep my spirts up" so really she just lied to me to try and get me to keep working my butt off in her class

Example four:
My friend 'Billy' has some kid of brain disorder that makes him really hyper but he's still really really smart. (his parents don't think he has a hyper prob) Anyway, he's a really smart kid and all but sometimes he gets off track and he LOVES to joke around. Well my teacher is always telling him to get off the crack and always yells at him for being loud when really everyone knows he has a problem staying quiet for a little less than an hour. So he's always getting in trouble from her

so what do you think? do you think my teacher buds into peoples lives more than a teacher should?

yea it sounds pretty bad u should put in a formal complaint
What about monitors? This guy called my friend a fat ugly whore and she started crying, as me and others tryed to comfort her, once she's calmed down some monitors come to ask her what happened, and my friend does NOT like attention, so she responds, just forget it, and they pressing and pressing and everyone in the cafeteria is staring at her, and she is about to burst into tears from embarrasment, when I saw "Whats your problem? Can't you just elave her laone? She said go away!!" This escalated (I get an attitude soemtimes) to me gettign suspention 1 week lunch from insurbordination and the other guy who insulted her gettign a lesser punishment than me. stare Makes sense? Or not...
KyraJade
What about monitors? This guy called my friend a fat ugly whore and she started crying, as me and others tryed to comfort her, once she's calmed down some monitors come to ask her what happened, and my friend does NOT like attention, so she responds, just forget it, and they pressing and pressing and everyone in the cafeteria is staring at her, and she is about to burst into tears from embarrasment, when I saw "Whats your problem? Can't you just elave her laone? She said go away!!" This escalated (I get an attitude soemtimes) to me gettign suspention 1 week lunch from insurbordination and the other guy who insulted her gettign a lesser punishment than me. stare Makes sense? Or not...

that is so not fair
There are 2 sides to every argument. Now, from your side, I can say that I think the teacher tends to seriously over-react to any problem in class. The Hot Topic thing was just wrong of the teacher. In the Billy situation, I can understand the teacher's side, even if she over-reacted a bit. On the Annie thing, I can understand the teacher suggesting to move Annie down a level from HER class, but she should have no influence on other classes, and should go to Annie first to check the problem out. Try other options before moving a student down. On your problem with her, that's just wrong. Teachers should never lie to their students. If she thought you weren't good enoudh, she should have told you so, or at least implied that you need to work harder to get there. Did she specifically tell you that she recommended you for the higher level class, or not? Either way is bad but if she lied directly to you that's even worse. She should get some consequence for that.
OMG!!!

Why do they have to but in???
It hasn't happened to me cuz i'm an honor student and I dont have any fashion trends to follow
so
it nvr happens to me

but its SO wrong
Well, a teacher does not only teach but is a care taker, my english teacher told me this. And if they think that something is affecting their students, they should report it or help them. That's just her way of helping.

Well, people who dress goth tend to be goth and goth people tend to be depressed or, um, reclusive. And people who are depressed sometimes tend to be suicidal, and those who are suicidal tend to not care about their grades since they plan on killing themselves anyway.

You're over reacting, she's doing what she think's is in the student's best interests. Even if those actions tend to piss you off.

She has every right to butt into your life if she believes there is a problem.
During the 7 or 8 hours you're at school, teachers can force a grade consious student to do ANYTHING (the student can refuse, but anything can be made a gradebook item). They have no choice or control.
_Joel_
Ok, theres a teacher at my highschool who is always budding into my friends and my lives and just really getting on my nerves

(names of my friends have been changed)

.............................was doing bad in her class meant she was doing bad in all her other classes and she wouldn't be able to raise her grades again.

........................................work on her school work. She also old Luna that she had a student who started to dress like she had and their grades fell. so she pretty much told her that if she dressed 'gothic' her grades drop badly

.....................hat she told me she would to "keep my spirts up" so really she just lied to me to try and get me to keep working my butt off in her class

....................................to joke around. Well my teacher is always telling him to get off the crack and always yells at him for being loud when really everyone knows he has a problem staying quiet for a little less than an hour. So he's always getting in trouble from her

so what do you think? do you think my teacher buds into peoples lives more than a teacher should?
*reads it all once, then reads it over again*I still can't believe what I just read...This teacher has some issues,I think it's time to stick up to her.If that doesn't work, you could report her to your headmaster or whatever, and they will talk to her.Heh yeah..they'll talk to her alright.You just have to give them a valid reason why.Enjoi!

Edit:Shortened the post so it won't be too big.
Well, interferring like that isn't wise in my opinion.
If a teacher wants to help a student though, or if a student asks for help, I think it is perfectly fine.

Moonlight Phantom

12,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
I think this teacher is going overboard in some cases and is simply handeling situations wrong in others.

If a students grades randomly drop you don't put them in a lower class. You find th problem and encourage them to do better.

If it's not against the dress coade and it's not distracting, let the kids wear what they want. Or, don't judge kids by their clothes.

Don't lie to students.

The last one is tricky. Telling a student "get off the crack" or making references to "forgetting your medicine" is tasteless. However order must be maintained in a classroom so all students can learn.

Not sure what to say about that last one but the other cases make her seem to be a questionable educator.

edit: It's scary how much effect teachers have on the lives of thier students.
So? We had a whole assembly on why MSN Messenger makes us evil.

We also had an assembly on why any clothes that make a "statement" should never be warn in public. You don't have it the worst, you know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff