no, but i do now 0.31598513011152 31.6% [ 85 ]
yes, but i don't believe it in 0.052044609665428 5.2% [ 14 ]
no, but i don't believe in it anyway 0.04089219330855 4.1% [ 11 ]
don't care / gold 0.3271375464684 32.7% [ 88 ]
Total Votes:[ 269 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

fabreeze
BrokenHopes

However, when the earth has absorbed the heat, and is reradiating it to space, the frequency is shorter, and different. The Greenhouse gases trap THOSE radiation rays, and therefore the earth gets hotter.
Not the other way around.

Both happens.
Some radiation gets reflected by the white clouds.
Some radiation goes through the clouds, hits the earth, goes back up and gets trapped by the gases.

Thats why I said it was a mixed bag.

(I checked the second link, that one works for me. If you go to Spikehumour and type in global dimming in the search bar you'll get the same results. Its a mature site so judge for yourself. )
i think my firewall has blocked the website, i'll try on a different computer tomorrow
fabreeze

Both happens.
Some radiation goes through the clouds, hits the earth, goes back up and gets trapped by the gases.

this is true, the point i'm trying to make is that, the presence of global warming means that we can't see the full effects of global warming untill we stop polution, and then we will find it was worse than we all thought it would be
The earth would be better off if we didn't use fossil fuels. You know way back when there was no burning of fossil fuels and the earth was fine. Either way the earth is constanly changing and we need to deal with it.
potoroo99
Charming.but.Insane
I already knew about Global Warming, not Global Dimming though, but judging by your poll people are learning about it, Mother Nature and I thank you warmly for raising awareness about this fragile earth.
i have noticed that this subject is never mentioned in the media, and when i started studying it in my environmental science clasees i was suprised i hadn't heard about it before, so i thought i should try to share some of this information
lol, I remember you from the last global warming thread
fabreeze
BrokenHopes

However, when the earth has absorbed the heat, and is reradiating it to space, the frequency is shorter, and different. The Greenhouse gases trap THOSE radiation rays, and therefore the earth gets hotter.

Both happens.

(I checked the second link, that one works for me. If you go to Spikehumour and type in global dimming in the search bar you'll get the same results. Its a mature site so judge for yourself. )

Yup, but we have a great example of a over heated planet that has the most smog and gas in the solar system.
Venus.
Super dense greenhouse gas clouds that trap so much radiation in, that it's literally hotter than your daily oven ramped up to max temp.
The dense clouds obviously do more to trap the heat- than to reflect the heat as *global dimming* would predict.
Therefore I favor the former, instead of the latter.
BrokenHopes
potoroo99
Charming.but.Insane
I already knew about Global Warming, not Global Dimming though, but judging by your poll people are learning about it, Mother Nature and I thank you warmly for raising awareness about this fragile earth.
i have noticed that this subject is never mentioned in the media, and when i started studying it in my environmental science clasees i was suprised i hadn't heard about it before, so i thought i should try to share some of this information
lol, I remember you from the last global warming thread
i'm doing coursework!
BrokenHopes
fabreeze
BrokenHopes

Both happens.

Yup, but we have a great example of a over heated planet that has the most smog and gas in the solar system.
Venus.
Super dense greenhouse gas clouds that trap so much radiation in, that it's literally hotter than your daily oven ramped up to max temp.
The dense clouds obviously do more to trap the heat- than to reflect the heat as *global dimming* would predict.
its not the smoke particles in clouds on venus that cause the high temperature, its the invisible particles that are on the right wavelength to absorb the heat energy, not all gases are greenhouse gases

global warming and global dimming can both happen at the same time
potoroo99
BrokenHopes
fabreeze
BrokenHopes

Both happens.

Venus.
its not the smoke particles in clouds on venus that cause the high temperature, its the invisible particles that are on the right wavelength to absorb the heat energy, not all gases are greenhouse gases

yup, I agree, Venus has little smoke particles. The main greenhouse gasses in both Venus and Earth causing the largest problems are Methane, and Carbon Dioxide. They technically do not absorb the heat, they just disallow the shorter wavelength radiation coming from the planet to go back out.

Planet) |GG layer| <--------Long wavelength radiation (sun]
Planet <---|GG layer|--- Passes through
Planet)--- Absorbs |GG layer|
Planet) ---> Reradiates shorter wavelength |GG layer|
Planet) --> <-- |GG layer| Shorter wavelength cannot pass through.
well I have to go, good talking with you again rofl
See if we'll meet again
wats global dimming?
BrokenHopes
potoroo99
BrokenHopes
fabreeze
BrokenHopes

Both happens.

Venus.

yup, I agree, Venus has little smoke particles. The main greenhouse gasses in both Venus and Earth causing the largest problems are Methane, and Carbon Dioxide. They technically do not absorb the heat, they just disallow the shorter wavelength radiation coming from the planet to go back out.

Planet) |GG layer| <--------Long wavelength radiation (sun]
Planet <---|GG layer|--- Passes through
Planet)--- Absorbs |GG layer|
Planet) ---> Reradiates shorter wavelength |GG layer|
Planet) --> <-- |GG layer| Shorter wavelength cannot pass through.

i said absorb heat as it is the basic effect, the greenhouse gases don't actually trap the energy, they just slown down its path by absorbing and re-emitting the infrared radiation that has been reflected of the planets surface. the re-emitted radiation is a longer wavelength as it has been slowed down, by more importantly, the re-emitted energy is travelling in all directions away from the molecule instead of the straight directiong is was travelling in since relfection

anyway, this has got nothing to do with global dimming, they are completely seperate processes, which happen at the same time, as just happen to produce counteracting effects, but the effect of global warming is stronger
shorty_joy
wats global dimming?
the first post should tell you, or wikipedia if you prefer has a good article, please ask if you have any specific questions
BrokenHopes
well I have to go, good talking with you again rofl
See if we'll meet again
see you in the next debate! byebye
interesting, but coincidences are not science to my understanding.
My understanding of science says under the same conditions the same thing will happen. It can be proven by demonstrating, and if it is not able to be recreated, it is considered not scientific.
to my understanding of science.

This is recreatable if you had some money, although for some reason scientists haven't thought to form an experiment that would be shown to show the effects of global warming very well that is publisized by them when they whine.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff