Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Disney Princess Thread

Welcome to the Disney Princess thread! This is a place where you can discuss the Disney Princesses, their movies, and the franchise in general.

History of Disney Princess (taken from Wikipedia): In early 2000, when Andy Mooney was hired by Disney's Consumer Products division to help combat dropping sales, the idea for the Disney Princess franchise was born. Soon after joining Disney, Mooney attended his first Disney on Ice show. While waiting in line, he found himself surrounded by young girls dressed as princesses. “They weren’t even Disney products. They were generic princess products,” he mused. Soon after realizing the demand, the Disney Princess line was formed.

Despite limited advertising and no focus groups, the various Disney Princess items released became a huge success. Sales at Disney Consumer Products rose from $300 million in 2001 to $3 billion in 2006. Today there are over 25,000 products based on the franchise.

The princesses to be featured in the line were chosen from classic Disney films. The characters were not chosen specifically for their royal titles, but rather for how well they fit into what Disney executives deemed “the Princess mythology”. Mulan is an example of this concept; she has no familial ties to royalty, but is still included in the character list. Tinker Bell was once included under the same principle before it was decided she was not suited for the "mythology". She now stars in her own Disney franchise, the Disney Fairies.

Disney Princess Thread FAQ
Q: who is an official Disney Princess?
A: in alphabetical order: Ariel, Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Belle, Cinderella, Jasmine, Mulan, Pocahontas, Snow White, & Tiana

Q: what is an OFFICIAL Disney Princess?
A: an Official Disney Princess is a Disney female lead that the Disney company itself has labeled a Disney Princess. You can see all the official princesses on the Official Disney Princess website

Q: if Mulan, Pocahontas, & Tiana are princesses, why don't I see them on a lot of Disney Princess merchandise?
A: The Disney Princess line started out with only six princesses, or who I like to call the "main six" : Ariel, Aurora, Belle, Cinderella, Jasmine, & Snow White so they are most often featured on Disney Princess items & pictures. Mulan & Pocahontas were added to the line a few years after the Disney Princess line was created and Tiana is a brand-new addition.

Q: why don't you list Megara/Esmerelda/Tinker Bell/Wendy/Alice/Kairi/Jane/Eilonwy/Kida/Anastasia/Thumbelina/Odette etc. as a Disney Princess?
A: none of these females are Disney Princesses. Like I said, you can go to the Official Disney Princess website and see who is an official princess. That does not mean that we don't discuss them in this thread, but it does mean that this thread is not focused on them. But for a list as to why these females aren't Disney Princesses, I'll list it for you:
- Megara, Esmerelda, Wendy & Jane are very good candidates to be Disney Princesses, they just happen not to be in the line and besides, none of them are princesses
- Tinker Bell is often featured by herself, or in her own line, Disney Fairies
- Though Alice is featured as a princess in the Kingdom Hearts series, she is not actually a Disney Princess
- Eilonwy & Kida may be princesses, but neither of their movies are terribly popular and they are just not Disney Princesses
- Kairi may be a "Disney Princess" in Kingdom Hearts, but she is not from a Disney movie and she is not a Disney Princess
- Anastasia, Thumbelina, & Odette are NOT from Disney movies

Q: Mulan is NOT a princess!!!1one111!!!!
A: we know. that doesn't change the fact that Disney has decided on including her in the Official Disney Princess line. just be happy Disney is being diverse, ok?

Q: who are Tiana & Rapunzel?
A: Tiana is a confirmed Disney Princess who will appear in the movie The Princess & the Frog. Rapunzel is unconfirmed as a future Disney Princess but she will be appearing in the film Rapunzel.

Q: if you have Tiana & Rapunzel listed, why not Merida?
A: since The Bear & the Bow is going to be a Pixar movie, there is no reason to assume that she will join the Disney Princess line

Q: why is Giselle an honorary mention but not Eilonwy/Kida/etc. etc. etc. ?
A: at one point Giselle WAS going to be included in the Disney Princess line. Disney changed their mind after they found out they'd have to pay royalties to the actress Amy Adams

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50
The Disney Princesses
-Snow White
-Cinderella
-Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
-Ariel
-Belle
-Jasmine
-Mulan
-Pocahontas
-Tiana
-Rapunzel
-Merida

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Princess News

May 9, 2009
Extended trailer of The Princess and the Frog released

March 26, 2009
few months old, but here's a gorgeous pic from The Princess & the Frog

March 25, 2009
ad for Rapunzel

March 14, 2009
this just in! Alan Menken will be doing music Rapunzel! excuse me while I go die from happiness >w<

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Fan Stuff

made by l Maelyn l
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

poll July 13, 2008 - July 31, 2009

Who's your favorite?
1. Belle 21.9% [ 645 votes ]
2. Mulan 20.4% [ 599 votes ]
3. Ariel 17.6% [ 517 votes ]
4. Jasmine 10.3% [ 304 votes ]
5. Cinderella 8.1% [ 239 votes ]
6. Sleeping Beauty 8.0% [ 236 votes ]
7. Pocahontas 6.4% [ 189 votes ]
8. Snow White 3.8% [ 113 votes ]
9. Rapunzel 1.8% [ 54 votes ]
10. Tiana 1.6% [ 46 votes ]
Total Votes: 2942

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Disney Princess on Gaia
User Image
Enchanted Book

User Image
La Jolie Dormeuse
Holly
Has everyone seen the trailer for The Princess and the Frog?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0j7EactM9s
Oh, wow! It looks good, actually! I didn't think Disney was making anymore Princess films like this! >_< Cool thread, by the way.

Chatty Informer

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Could you put names next to the links to the pictures? It's kinda annoying to have to go to the redirect page to see each one of them.

But Disney Princesses are alright. Does Kairi from Kingdom Hearts count as one?
Oh but my favorites are Ariel and Mulan.
well, Kairi counted in the game, I think.

SPOILER: The password in the Tron level in KH2. It's all the names of the princesses, including Kairi.

My fav princesses are Ariel and Belle. Actually, I was at Disney last year, and got a photo taken and placed in with all the Princesses. One can dream, can't they? 3nodding
If I had to choose, I would say Belle is the best. At least she did something. I think. I haven't seen the movie in ages.
My favorite Disney princess is Jasmine.

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50
Chachi-chama
Could you put names next to the links to the pictures? It's kinda annoying to have to go to the redirect page to see each one of them.

But Disney Princesses are alright. Does Kairi from Kingdom Hearts count as one?
Oh but my favorites are Ariel and Mulan.

The day I made that post I was really tired & couldn't make the formatting look quite right xD I'll try again soon.

If you go to the Disney Princess site you'll see the official princesses :3
http://disney.go.com/princess/html/main_iframe.html
My favorite Disney "princess" is by far Mulan. And Belle is a close second. The rest... urgh, they fail to impress me. stare (Kind of ironic that the ones I like are not really princesses).

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50
ShadowsHeir
My favorite Disney "princess" is by far Mulan. And Belle is a close second. The rest... urgh, they fail to impress me. stare (Kind of ironic that the ones I like are not really princesses).

I like a lot of princesses, but Belle is my favorite!

Really, you don't even like Ariel? xD

Kawaii Shoujo

18,400 Points
  • Hero 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Magical Girl 50
CatastrophicChelsea
My favorite Disney princess is Jasmine.

I know you're not one, but I've noticed that mostly guys like Jasmine xD I dunno why, lol~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff