Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ever have that one person in the Whoverse who had the potential to be a kickass character and then, bam, bad writing ruins them? What about the one that was kickass and bad writing made their end be both stupid and totally unlogical?
What character's should've, could've, would've been written better?
I don't have much time watching classic who, so I won't go on about CW.
For new who, i think Martha had so much more potential that didn't hit until her season was over. She was straight up awesome in her season, but her unrequited love for the Doctor held her back. She became badass when she decided to stop pining over him, but we only get to see this in a few episodes in Donna's season.
Speaking of Donna, her end was total BS, I think. I mean, Doctor 2 is human with a timelord consciousness, why isn't he dead? Or is he dead and the Doctor knew he would die but left him with Rose anyway? Why do we only see Donna going haywire at the end of the episode? If her mind was burning up from having everything the Doctor knows in her head, why didn't she burn up way earlier? Even so, why did the Doctor have to totally wipe her mind? He could have done what he did to Rose in S1, or he could have pulled a Frozen and left the personal growth but erased him from her memory. Even better, why not use the thing he used in S3 to turn himself human? Can't he make her timelord? Why not just lock up the parts of her mind that contain most of what he knows? I feel like RTD wrote her end this way so that Moffat wouldn't kill her off or something. And hell, it's not like they couldn't bring her back. I mean, ******** Moffat brought back the Timelords after it was well established by RTD that Gallifrey burned to a crisp.
On to Moffat, why did Amy have to see so many ******** psychiatrists? Having an imaginary friend isn't that bad. Also, why hell does Amy have to wait 5 or 6 episodes into her first season to get a real personality, only to still feel like a stiff character? Same with River. And if she's getting younger as the Doctor gets older, then wouldn't she still be alive, or did I miss something? At the end of season 7 part one, why can't the Doctor just travel forward a few years in time have have them meet him in New Jersey or something? That's should be far enough away from 1938 Manhattan, right? Better yet, why did Amy go with Rory when the Angels took him? There's no guarantee she'd be where he was. Better yet, after just dealing with a bunch of murderous statues, why turn away from the obvious weeping angel in the graveyard?
Even the Doctor has some really bad times. There were so many times when the Doctor could have been doing something, and he's just saying something funny while the camera closes up on his face.

So, WTF is wrong with some of the writers here? Which writer do you think ******** up the most? (I go with Moffat, but RTD had some really bad episodes as well.)

Manly Man-Lover

Are you talking about that thing that made the Doctor seem human in order to disguise himself in season 3, as well as the thing that the Master used to hide himself using that fob thing or the one that created the clone?
One way, I can see it working because it'd involve a suppression of sorts. The other way, not so much. In case one,
the fob could hold those memories and she could keep her human life going.

Not so much the second way because of what was involved. I'm sure you know where that would be since it would involve Donna herself in the end of the 4th season, excluding the End of Time specials.
TheQuietRiversRage
Are you talking about that thing that made the Doctor seem human in order to disguise himself in season 3, as well as the thing that the Master used to hide himself using that fob thing or the one that created the clone?
One way, I can see it working because it'd involve a suppression of sorts. The other way, not so much. In case one,

Not so much the second way because of what was involved. I'm sure you know where that would be since it would involve Donna herself in the end of the 4th season, excluding the End of Time specials.
Yes, that one. I remenber him saying that it could actually change the DNA to a different species, so why not make her a time lord?
I was thinking that instead he'd just modify her memories. Like instead of traveling with the Doctor it's some guy, and the part with Davros is some BS where some drug lord tries to kill her or something. Either that, or just delete the entire part where she saves the universe. Like if her brain were a machine, he'd lock up certain areas in there, and most of the area's holding those memories would still work. She would remember what happened, but the rest of the time lord consciousness would be cut off.
Either that, or they could have written her to where her brain had actually become timelord, and it modified her body to fit it's needs. Since the rest of her would still be human, she always be hungry or sleepy or something.

Manly Man-Lover

buggsie blue
TheQuietRiversRage

Yes, that one. I remenber him saying that it could actually change the DNA to a different species, so why not make her a time lord?
I was thinking that instead he'd just modify her memories. Like instead of traveling with the Doctor it's some guy, and the part with Davros is some BS where some drug lord tries to kill her or something. Either that, or just delete the entire part where she saves the universe. Like if her brain were a machine, he'd lock up certain areas in there, and most of the area's holding those memories would still work. She would remember what happened, but the rest of the time lord consciousness would be cut off.
Either that, or they could have written her to where her brain had actually become timelord, and it modified her body to fit it's needs. Since the rest of her would still be human, she always be hungry or sleepy or something.
Ok, I think I get what you're saying. Just recently finished the last of the Tennant box (excluding the animated specials), so I wasn't completely sure about the conclusion of Donna's timeline. Which also left more questions in the end. Mostly pertaining to how if the Time Lord powers and their effects on her.
It seemed like in the conclusion of Series 4, Donna would die if those memories ever returned, yet when they returned and she used some sort of defense against the Master in The End of Time 2 in particular, she merely went comatose and panicky about the memories.

In that sense, definitely the fob would have assisted greatly. She'd be able to continue on and odds are that she'd just dismiss it the whole time. It'd save her the headaches and pain of being an entity that shouldn't exist in either genetic form, though there are still questions about that with some of the other hybrids (Human Daleks come to mind and I'm sure there are others that may have appeared) As for the thing with Davros... I'm trying to remember anyone who resembled a drug lord... sweatdrop Admittedly, it's not completely fresh in my mind, though.
TheQuietRiversRage
buggsie blue
TheQuietRiversRage

Ok, I think I get what you're saying. Just recently finished the last of the Tennant box (excluding the animated specials), so I wasn't completely sure about the conclusion of Donna's timeline. Which also left more questions in the end. Mostly pertaining to how if the Time Lord powers and their effects on her.
It seemed like in the conclusion of Series 4, Donna would die if those memories ever returned, yet when they returned and she used some sort of defense against the Master in The End of Time 2 in particular, she merely went comatose and panicky about the memories.

In that sense, definitely the fob would have assisted greatly. She'd be able to continue on and odds are that she'd just dismiss it the whole time. It'd save her the headaches and pain of being an entity that shouldn't exist in either genetic form, though there are still questions about that with some of the other hybrids (Human Daleks come to mind and I'm sure there are others that may have appeared) As for the thing with Davros... I'm trying to remember anyone who resembled a drug lord... sweatdrop Admittedly, it's not completely fresh in my mind, though.
It doesn't have to be a drug lord. He could just change it to where she got in trouble or something, you know, a placeholder. I think the fob idea would have been great, because in the episode before, he would remember some things when the watch was opened far away. He hold drop her off at home and maybe allow her brain to "stretch" to fit a timelord consciousness? Like letting some memories in first, get back with her, then when she's there let more and more come back to her. Her brain could maybe adapt to it, since human brains technically don't have a known limit of info they can hold.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
I agree that Donna deserved a better ending. She was one of my favorite companions, probably because she didn't have that weird love relationship with the doctor like Rose and Martha. I wonder why they never thought of the watch? I think I remember that it was really painful for the doctor to use. Perhaps in her already damaged shape she would not have been able to handle it.

On Martha. I really wish that Martha had not fallen for the Doctor, but I think it was pretty believable that she would fall for him. She did become pretty cool when she gave up on him, but I wish she had realized her worth before that.

Amy. Amy bothered me. I feel like there was a lot to be done with the "invisible friend" thing. Why did they not explore that further. I understand that huge impression that the one night had... but why didn't the doctor visit her when she was growing up? I feel like that was a missed chance.

River. I want to like River, but she feels like a pre-packaged love interest. She seems strong and decisive, but it seems like that is only because the Doctor likes that in a woman. Why didn't we get to see her travel with him? They could have had a lot of fun with the TARDIS liking her more. I still like River, but she just seems too flat.

So why do the characters all seem so flat lately?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff