Welcome to Gaia! ::

Time-traveling Shapeshifter

20,800 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Squeezed in between the 1890s and 1920, there was a small contingent of composers who were on the verge of bringing in a new wave of music that was not atonal, but definitely distanced from tonality. Scriabin is my favorite example of this, but it can be found in late Rachmaninoff, Holst, Respighi, [only early] Stravinsky, [only early] Schoenberg, and others.

I have always felt that 12-tone music and total atonality kind of took over with a fascist grip after World War I and has yet to really release its grip, though there has been some warming up to tonality with the Minimalists and beyond.

Such magical music was made when composers skirted the line between tonality and atonality, when music was made that marginally engages the natural functions of the ear (tonality) but still challenges it and inspires the imagination.

If you haven't heard Scriabin's music, I highly recommend it. His later symphonies were a beginning to something magical that was never realized due to his untimely death, and his piano sonatas (1-10, but especially the later ones) are quite brilliant utilizing a very idiosyncratic style.

Alexander Scriabin - Symphony No. 3 - "The Divine Poem" (1902) (Youtube link)

20,800 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Albéric Magnard is a great non-contemporary composer whom I never heard about throughout six years of study in music composition. I highly recommend his music.

Wikipedia bio on Albéric Magnard

Youtube links to music:
Symphony No. 3 - my favorite of the four
Symphony No. 4 - the most modern and challenging for the ear
Symphony No. 2
Symphony No. 1

Greedy Capitalist

Any love for Joaquin Turina up in here?

20,800 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Vendent Drone
Hmm, I'll have to check his music out.

Greedy Capitalist

jessicamundi
Vendent Drone
Hmm, I'll have to check his music out.

I suggest his three fantastic dances specifically the second movement, ensueno.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff