Offenbach 0.033333333333333 3.3% [ 3 ]
Rossini 0.077777777777778 7.8% [ 7 ]
Verdi 0.077777777777778 7.8% [ 7 ]
Puccini 0.12222222222222 12.2% [ 11 ]
Other! 0.3 30.0% [ 27 ]
Total Votes:[ 90 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6

TRENTSUO
I have been studying composition for a while and I have finally gotten into Opera over the last year. I'm surprised not a lot of people are talking about Richard Strauss. His Der Rosenkavelier is very powerful, and Salome is exotic. I love what Richard Strauss does with harmonies; he takes the colorful and innovative harmonies of Wagner and expands on it adding more richness to the whole experience (especially in any of his tone poems). Rigolleto is also a very fun opera to listen to although Verdi's Otello is much more interesting compositionally. Der Freischütz by Weber is very surprising compositionally, because it pushes away from classical conventions and establishes itself as a cohesive romantic composition. It has a very playful main melody, and the harmonies displayed in the overture are very rich.

Richard Strauss has always been my all time favorite opera composer for the past 5-6 years (even some of his non-opera pieces, such s Tod und Verklarung are some of my favorites pieces).
My three favorite operas are all composed by Strauss. They include Elektra, Die Frau Ohne Schatten, and Der Rosenkavalier. I have a lot of mixed feelings about Salome because of how dark it is. I love the richness and intensity of his operas, from the chords to the melody to the screeching high notes. Strauss is the best composer in my heart.
I'm just gonna put this here.

Philip Glass, Einstein on the Beach.

Why is this not being talked about? Just wondering.
I'll be seeing Akhnaten (Philip Glass) next year.
I'm really looking forward to it! I've listened to the record a few times, and loved it.

Angelic Sophomore

Elegy Hymn
Anyone out there sing/love opera? If so, what's your voice type and what's your favourite opera?

!!!!!!

I'm just excited this thread exists ahaha

I've been into opera for around three years now. Recently I graduated with my B.A. in Music (I was originally music education, but decided to drop and re-enroll for my university's music therapy post-grad program, which I like a lot better btw); naturally, my instrument concentration is voice. I've sung tons of arias and done scenes in my university's Opera Workshop, gave junior/senior recitals, and done a lot of studying with my private voice teacher for three years now singing art songs, arias, and musical theatre.

☆ My voice type is around a lyric coloratura soprano. I'm only 22, and of course, idk what it'll be like five years from now, and I'll probably have a better idea on my fach when I'm a little older.
☆ Offenbach is my favorite composer for opera, I'm notably mentioning Les contes d'Hoffmann and La Périchole being favorites he has composed.
☆ I sang as Euridice in this trio with two friends of mine in my OW class at the end of April. This trio is still like my favorite thing to listen and sing through even now!
☆ Earlier this year, I saw my first live/professional version of La bohème! I went with some friends of mine. uwu
☆ In my OW class, we're planning on doing Menotti's The Telephone and scenes/arias from American opera this semester (think Bernstein, Gershwin, Barber, Douglas Moore, etc.)!

There are like so many other things I could talk about, it's just what I do.

emotion_yatta
emotion_bigheart

Familiar Phantom

I've been studying voice for about 9 years. I graduated with a BM in Vocal Performance this year (also 22).
My voice just went through a growth/some technique settled after classes ended (go figure lol), and it looks like I'll be heading into full lyric country. Pretty excited. smile

I haven't been in many operas, admittedly, but I was in my school's production of Die Zauberflöte (chorus), and did scenes from Le Nozze di Figaro (Marcellina) and The Medium (Mrs. Gobineau).

It's not really the wildest of tastes, but at this point, Puccini is my favorite opera composer. I also love a lot of crossover composers like Ricky Ian Gordon and Adam Guettel.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff