Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nematri
Firlodge
Reason A - black and white

Morally non-ambiguous things are fine as long as you do it WELL. So far, I've only seen it pulled off in fairy tales. Most of the time though, your 'hero' shouldn't be 100% good (or perfect) and your villain shouldn't be 100% evil (or flawed).

Even the most noble hero has a proper flaw and even the most repulsive villain has a proper redeeming quality.No matter how small.

Amen to that! ^_^ I hate it when people use the excuse "well, he's the good guy, duh! It's not like he can do wrong!" to justify their hero doing something that, in the real world, would be considered morally dubious. You know what I mean? Ditto when people make their villain a one-dimensional puppy-kicking baby-kidnapping evil-plot-hatching baddie/videogame boss. The bad guy is human still; no matter how repugnant an individual he may be, surely there's something about him that makes the reader think "geez, where did it go wrong for him?" or shows that he has feelings too.

However, this leads me onto Reason B- lousy attempts to avoid black-and-white

So often, when someone creates a bad guy for their story, people like us tell them to give their antagonist some shred of humanity that's still there, something potentially redeeming, or some personality beyond "BWAHAHAHA I ARE EBIL!" And that's all good advice.

However, upon hearing this advice, a lot of young writers think "hmm, give my bad guy a redeeming quality...I know...let's make him HAWT!" so they end up with an antagonist whose sole redeeming quality/humanity consists in...physical appearance. gonk "He's evil...but he's omg smexy! So we don't have to notice that he's evil!!!" ...erm...NO.

Yes, I hate that too. Hence the bolded words in my original post.
Firlodge
Nematri
Firlodge

Morally non-ambiguous things are fine as long as you do it WELL. So far, I've only seen it pulled off in fairy tales. Most of the time though, your 'hero' shouldn't be 100% good (or perfect) and your villain shouldn't be 100% evil (or flawed).

Even the most noble hero has a proper flaw and even the most repulsive villain has a proper redeeming quality.No matter how small.

Amen to that! ^_^ I hate it when people use the excuse "well, he's the good guy, duh! It's not like he can do wrong!" to justify their hero doing something that, in the real world, would be considered morally dubious. You know what I mean? Ditto when people make their villain a one-dimensional puppy-kicking baby-kidnapping evil-plot-hatching baddie/videogame boss. The bad guy is human still; no matter how repugnant an individual he may be, surely there's something about him that makes the reader think "geez, where did it go wrong for him?" or shows that he has feelings too.

So often, when someone creates a bad guy for their story, people like us tell them to give their antagonist some shred of humanity that's still there, something potentially redeeming, or some personality beyond "BWAHAHAHA I ARE EBIL!" And that's all good advice.

However, upon hearing this advice, a lot of young writers think "hmm, give my bad guy a redeeming quality...I know...let's make him HAWT!" so they end up with an antagonist whose sole redeeming quality/humanity consists in...physical appearance. gonk "He's evil...but he's omg smexy! So we don't have to notice that he's evil!!!" ...erm...NO.

Sadly, though, a lot of young writers don't seem to have much of a concept of "proper".
Reason C - Snapping the necks of pure white puppies isn't always bad.

In fact, it can be quite a kind thing to do, particularly in some breeds. 'Lethal Whites'. Whatever species you are, chances are that if you're put up for adoption and are likely to have vision AND hearing problems, that's not gonna happen.

When you're a dog, if you have this genotype, especially in olde times, you're likely going to get killed, somehow or another.

Snapping the neck, severing the spinal cord and dying while unconscious versus someone haphazardly trying to kill you and not having the least clue what they're doing.

Which way would you rather go?
Nematri
Firlodge
Nematri
Firlodge

Sadly, though, a lot of young writers don't seem to have much of a concept of "proper".

True. Still, we can dream, can't we?
Firlodge
Nematri
Firlodge
Nematri
Firlodge

True. Still, we can dream, can't we?

Well, maybe I'm wrong, but I think one of the large reasons for this is that people simply don't know how to make the bad guy human. There are so many stereotypes worked up about villains and some writers might feel like they have to follow those stereotypes if they want to actually make the bad guy bad. They might simply overlook the fact that the antagonists should be just as human as the main character, just with a goal in mind that the hero disagrees with. (Although there's really no excuse for a one-dimensional "BWA HA HA! I SHALL RULE THE WORLD AND KILL ALL IN MY WAY!" villains)
XD BUMDLYOREY HASD KANCER OMGSATAN!!!

I love how her name keeps changing from ebony to enmoby to eobobmy... Ahahahaha. This has made my day. =3
I hate how she thinks those crappy tops with the plastic boning in them from Hot Topic are corsets.

As a lover of true, quality corsets, I hate it when people make that mistake. Research, people!

2,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
_barchacky
http://www.neopets.com/userlookup.phtml?user=lupe_lover_fan
tell me what u think and to prove u looked at it send me a message stating the color of the background and i will give u ur gold 100k

Reason Googleplex Doing That ^

Hardened Survivor

Wings_of_Esh
_barchacky
tell me what u think and to prove u looked at it send me a message stating the color of the background and i will give u ur gold 100k

Sounds like a hacker busy at work.

Excuse me for being suspicious of hackers lately.... evil

But still, sounds like that link is hooked up to whatever their little dealie is and we're supposed to click out of curiosity. It strips our passwords from us. I now don't click any suspicious links.

EDIT: She just posted this is almost every thread in the WF. That's a little odd, don't you think??

2,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
RainyChaos
Wings_of_Esh
_barchacky

But still, sounds like that link is hooked up to whatever their little dealie is and we're supposed to click out of curiosity. It strips our passwords from us. I now don't click any suspicious links.

I know it's a hack. I mean, who's really going to click on the THIRD HACK in Two days?

Thus I quoted it for any one who does click on it. But really, what's with all the hacks aimed at the writer's Forum?

This one, for instance, has only posted this in the WF. Why? Do we seem more gullible? Or have better stuff or what?

Hardened Survivor

Wings_of_Esh
RainyChaos
Wings_of_Esh
_barchacky

I know it's a hack. I mean, who's really going to click on the THIRD HACK in Two days?

Thus I quoted it for any one who does click on it. But really, what's with all the hacks aimed at the writer's Forum?

This one, for instance, has only posted this in the WF. Why? Do we seem more gullible? Or have better stuff or what?

I don't know, but the one that killed AurinJade, my main account, got me in the guild promotion forum. They were a bit more crafty about it, I have to admit. I'm so mad I didn't quote it now.

Oh well. I'm not falling for two in one week. My spidy senses now tingle every time I see a random link. ninja
RainyChaos
Wings_of_Esh
RainyChaos
Wings_of_Esh
_barchacky

I don't know, but the one that killed AurinJade, my main account, got me in the guild promotion forum. They were a bit more crafty about it, I have to admit. I'm so mad I didn't quote it now.

Oh well. I'm not falling for two in one week. My spidy senses now tingle every time I see a random link. ninja

It takes you to the neopets login page. Though I'm here because I'm quitting neopets.

Hardened Survivor

Firlodge
RainyChaos
Wings_of_Esh
RainyChaos
Wings_of_Esh
_barchacky

It takes you to the neopets login page. Though I'm here because I'm quitting neopets.

Never heard of it.
RainyChaos
Firlodge
RainyChaos
Wings_of_Esh
RainyChaos

Never heard of it.

Is a Virtual pet site.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas