Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reason BLAGHASCHMIDT!!!! - Stop calling your poetry "emo". Quite frankly, it's getting annoying. "Oh, boo-hoo," you cry, "I hate my life! I'm going to slit my wrists and write depressing poetry and call it emo!" Tough ********' luck. We all have problems in our lives, but we aren't posting "emo" poetry that's usually terrible and beyond hope. And emo poems are usually the poems that are never posted in the subforum. I'm not an expert poet, but I don't think you can classify poetry as emo. Got problems? Go to the Life Issues forum.
[Nishin
Reason BLAGHASCHMIDT!!!! - Stop calling your poetry "emo". Quite frankly, it's getting annoying. "Oh, boo-hoo," you cry, "I hate my life! I'm going to slit my wrists and write depressing poetry and call it emo!" Tough ********' luck. We all have problems in our lives, but we aren't posting "emo" poetry that's usually terrible and beyond hope. And emo poems are usually the poems that are never posted in the subforum. I'm not an expert poet, but I don't think you can classify poetry as emo. Got problems? Go to the Life Issues forum.

For that matter, I think it's deserving of an a**-kicking when you label other people's work "emo" too. That's just bloody ignorant. For example, I remember this conversation:

Stranger: "So, Nematri, how's that novel going?"
Me: "Not bad, but there's a rather emotionally-charged chapter at the end I'm a little stuck on."
Stranger: "Oh, so you're writing an emo story, then?"

gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk

Maybe this is just me being an overly grouchy grown-up (*laughs at the idea of being grown up*) but mindlessly calling other people's writing "emo" on the grounds that it contains emotion not only shows your total ignorance of different genres and writing styles, but devalues every young writer who's actually put TIME and EFFORT into portraying emotions beyong the usual half-assed "wahhhh im writing a sad story its emoooooooooo!"

Eh, that rant felt good.
Zaxoth Arturos
bijoux_roses
Meh... point taken. However, genre is still pointless.
That makes no sense. You understood the point I made, which was the point of having genres, and yet you still think that having genres serves no purpose?

A genre, in and of itself, is a categorization of stories (or music or whatever else can be categorized thusly) which fall under a common theme or concept. That way, if a reader has no interest in said theme or concept, they can avoid all the stories within by simply avoiding the label under which said theme or concept has been categorized.

Having genres serves the purpose of allowing readers to find easily locate stories similar to their preferences and avoid those stories to which they have aversions. How can such a useful tool be pointless to make use of?

Ah... sad sad story is the internet. Clarity is an issue. I understand your point about Genre, but my opinion is that it is pointless. I am in no way trying to inflict my point of view about genre on anyone here... merely stating.
Nematri
[Nishin

For that matter, I think it's deserving of an a**-kicking when you label other people's work "emo" too. That's just bloody ignorant. For example, I remember this conversation:

Me: "Not bad, but there's a rather emotionally-charged chapter at the end I'm a little stuck on."

gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk

Maybe this is just me being an overly grouchy grown-up (*laughs at the idea of being grown up*) but mindlessly calling other people's writing "emo" on the grounds that it contains emotion not only shows your total ignorance of different genres and writing styles, but devalues every young writer who's actually put TIME and EFFORT into portraying emotions beyong the usual half-assed "wahhhh im writing a sad story its emoooooooooo!"

Eh, that rant felt good.
Gack, I hate that! I was talking to someone about the death of my uncle. I loved the guy, and we were really close, so I would naturally be upset beyond belief. So at the end, she's like, "Are you emo now?" I beat the crap out of her and sat in detention for a week... Good times, and it was totally worth it.
[Nishin
Nematri
[Nishin

gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk

Eh, that rant felt good.
Gack, I hate that! I was talking to someone about the death of my uncle. I loved the guy, and we were really close, so I would naturally be upset beyond belief. So at the end, she's like, "Are you emo now?" I beat the crap out of her and sat in detention for a week... Good times, and it was totally worth it.

Urghhhhh yeah. I know what you mean, I'd have slapped anyone who said something like that to me upside the head! Not to mention it's bloody insensitive to say something like that to someone who has just lost a family member.

In a nutshell, I hate the fact that the broad spectrum of human sadness, which has throughout history made a varied and interesting subject matter for writers to explore, has in this decade been condensed into a stupid teen stereotype. Once upon a time you could write about sad themes. Nowadays, though, no matter how well you write it, some stupid kid will think it's "emo".
bijoux_roses
Zaxoth Arturos
bijoux_roses
Meh... point taken. However, genre is still pointless.
That makes no sense. You understood the point I made, which was the point of having genres, and yet you still think that having genres serves no purpose?

A genre, in and of itself, is a categorization of stories (or music or whatever else can be categorized thusly) which fall under a common theme or concept. That way, if a reader has no interest in said theme or concept, they can avoid all the stories within by simply avoiding the label under which said theme or concept has been categorized.

Having genres serves the purpose of allowing readers to find easily locate stories similar to their preferences and avoid those stories to which they have aversions. How can such a useful tool be pointless to make use of?

Ah... sad sad story is the internet. Clarity is an issue. I understand your point about Genre, but my opinion is that it is pointless. I am in no way trying to inflict my point of view about genre on anyone here... merely stating.

I think that what bijoux and I are agreeing on is that genre is pointless, or should be pointless to the writer.

Or at least that's how my stand is set out in simplest terms.
Nematri
[Nishin
Nematri
[Nishin

gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk

Eh, that rant felt good.

Urghhhhh yeah. I know what you mean, I'd have slapped anyone who said something like that to me upside the head! Not to mention it's bloody insensitive to say something like that to someone who has just lost a family member.

In a nutshell, I hate the fact that the broad spectrum of human sadness, which has throughout history made a varied and interesting subject matter for writers to explore, has in this decade been condensed into a stupid teen stereotype. Once upon a time you could write about sad themes. Nowadays, though, no matter how well you write it, some stupid kid will think it's "emo".
Indeed. I can understand that my friend has never been through teh death of a loved one, and she was probably trying to cheer me up with a joke.

Personally, I hate how you have to have something wrong with you to be sad. It's a natural reaction to the bad s**t in life happening, so why do you need a shirnk? The shrink doesn't understand a fraction of what's going on inside your head, even if s/he has been through a death. It's really hard to understand another person 100%--99.9999...% (repeating decimal) at most.

Whoa, went off on a tangent.

Back to the point--we've all been sad at one point in our lives. That doesn't make us emo, and being sad over a long period of time doesn't make us emo. You put emotion--even the slightest fraction--into anythign you write. There's no use in classifying something as emo. Besides, "emo" is derived from "emotion[al]". Happiness is an emotion, so we'd all be emo in that sense.
[Nishin
Nematri
[Nishin
Nematri
[Nishin

gonk gonk gonk gonk gonk

Eh, that rant felt good.

Indeed. I can understand that my friend has never been through teh death of a loved one, and she was probably trying to cheer me up with a joke.

Personally, I hate how you have to have something wrong with you to be sad. It's a natural reaction to the bad s**t in life happening, so why do you need a shirnk? The shrink doesn't understand a fraction of what's going on inside your head, even if s/he has been through a death. It's really hard to understand another person 100%--99.9999...% (repeating decimal) at most.

Whoa, went off on a tangent.

Back to the point--we've all been sad at one point in our lives. That doesn't make us emo, and being sad over a long period of time doesn't make us emo. You put emotion--even the slightest fraction--into anythign you write. There's no use in classifying something as emo. Besides, "emo" is derived from "emotion[al]". Happiness is an emotion, so we'd all be emo in that sense.

High-five.
I think more dumb kids need to open their minds and realise that sadness is a normal human thing and can be explored and written about by writers as such. The fact that a writer writes a sad scene in their story does not make them this idiotic teen stereotype.
Nematri
High-five.
I think more dumb kids need to open their minds and realise that sadness is a normal human thing and can be explored and written about by writers as such. The fact that a writer writes a sad scene in their story does not make them this idiotic teen stereotype.
Woot, I just got a high-five from Nematri! Best day ever.

I'm so glad that someone agrees with me. I really don't understand when this emo stereotype became "popular" (for lack of a better word). I just turned around, literally, and heard some emo jokes. It was madness how quickly the fad caught on! eek
[Nishin
Nematri
High-five.

I'm so glad that someone agrees with me. I really don't understand when this emo stereotype became "popular" (for lack of a better word). I just turned around, literally, and heard some emo jokes. It was madness how wuickly the fad caught on! eek

From what I remember, it became popular when I was round about 17 and in my second-to-last year of school. (3 years ago.) It really annoyed me too, because I'd suffered problems (family and bullying-related) all through school. Where previously people had just left me alone about it, all of a sudden they all felt the need to call me "emo". You have NO idea how much that made me want to pimp-slap them around the head with a tea-tray.

On a similar note, reason number cheese and onion You're gonna get your a** kicked in the writers' forum if you portray the entire spectrum of human emotion solely as "angst". Really people...fear, sadness, regret, loss, adversity...these are all very real feelings with often quite different effects upon people. A good writer would explore them as such. You, however, have just lumped it all under "WOE IS MEEEEEEEEE! MY LIFE SUXXXXXXXXXXX!" Way to create emotionally shallow, boring, one-sided characters, genius.
Nematri
[Nishin
Nematri
High-five.

I'm so glad that someone agrees with me. I really don't understand when this emo stereotype became "popular" (for lack of a better word). I just turned around, literally, and heard some emo jokes. It was madness how wuickly the fad caught on! eek

From what I remember, it became popular when I was round about 17 and in my second-to-last year of school. (3 years ago.) It really annoyed me too, because I'd suffered problems (family and bullying-related) all through school. Where previously people had just left me alone about it, all of a sudden they all felt the need to call me "emo". You have NO idea how much that made me want to pimp-slap them around the head with a tea-tray.
Yeah, that makes sense. I first heard the word "emo" in the seventh grade.

Quote:
On a similar note, reason number cheese and onion You're gonna get your a** kicked in the writers' forum if you portray the entire spectrum of human emotion solely as "angst". Really people...fear, sadness, regret, loss, adversity...these are all very real feelings with often quite different effects upon people. A good writer would explore them as such. You, however, have just lumped it all under "WOE IS MEEEEEEEEE! MY LIFE SUXXXXXXXXXXX!" Way to create emotionally shallow, boring, one-sided characters, genius.
Vincent Valentine and Lucrecia Cresent (from Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantay VII) and Sasuke (from Naruto) all tie for first on the angst-o-meter, hitting the maximum measurement of a bazillion.
[Nishin
Nematri
[Nishin
Nematri
High-five.

Quote:
Vincent Valentine and Lucrecia Cresent (from Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantay VII) and Sasuke (from Naruto) all tie for first on the angst-o-meter, hitting the maximum measurement of a bazillion.

While we're on the subject of angst, and everything that's bad about writing in general, have you seen the example fanfic (I believe it's called My Immortal) contained in Wikipedia's article on Mary Sues?
It illustrates most of what we've been chatting about in this post to a WTF-worthy level of badness. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2828044/1/My_Immortal
(Warning: may make you lose faith in humanity. Or maybe laugh so hard milk comes out of your nose.)
Nematri
[Nishin
Nematri
[Nishin
Nematri
High-five.

Quote:

While we're on the subject of angst, and everything that's bad about writing in general, have you seen the example fanfic (I believe it's called My Immortal) contained in Wikipedia's article on Mary Sues?
It illustrates most of what we've been chatting about in this post to a WTF-worthy level of badness. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2828044/1/My_Immortal
(Warning: may make you lose faith in humanity. Or maybe laugh so hard milk comes out of your nose.)
Ah, I think I remember glancing it over. It seems familiar, or maybe I'm just getting the fanfic mixed up with another person's fanfic...

Good thing I'm lactose intolerant! Though I do kind of have some hopes for humanity...
[Nishin
Nematri
[Nishin
Nematri
[Nishin

Quote:

Ah, I think I remember glancing it over. It seems familiar, or maybe I'm just getting the fanfic mixed up with another person's fanfic...

Good thing I'm lactose intolerant! Though I do kind of have some hopes for humanity...

So long as your hopes for humanity don't involve this fanfic having any good chapters...seriously, it gets more and more crap as it progresses rofl
Good for a laugh, and illustrating to silly young writers "See kids? THIS is what happens when you don't eat your vegetables!"...but not good in any other sense of the word!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff