Welcome to Gaia! ::

Charming Ishim
... avoid windows 8 due to it killing work productivity.
I'm gonna need an explanation for this.

Angelic Exhibitionist

11,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
psychic stalker
Charming Ishim
There are tons of people who have a really hard time with computers because they are morons. Fun fact, most computers are not home computers, they are work computers. Another fun fact, not everyone can just go learn new things in an instant, so if something is way too different they may need to pay for a training program for thier employees.

Just don't overestimate the human race is all.
Charming Ishim
psychic stalker
Charming Ishim
There are tons of people who have a really hard time with computers because they are morons. Fun fact, most computers are not home computers, they are work computers. Another fun fact, not everyone can just go learn new things in an instant, so if something is way too different they may need to pay for a training program for thier employees.

That does not satisfy my request. That doesn't explain why Windows 8 "kill productivity."

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Because it requires people to learn a new interface?

Angelic Exhibitionist

11,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
psychic stalker
Charming Ishim
psychic stalker
Charming Ishim

That does not satisfy my request. That doesn't explain why Windows 8 "kill productivity."
Because people have to learn an entire new way to use windows before they can return to working, and because metro was the first thing when you logged in you'll have cases of people calling a tech just to ask how to get to thier desktop.

AutumnWolfgirl's Husband

Friendly Phantom

Charming Ishim
Saruwatari Kooji
Cinea
I agree with everything you said. ^^

I think the thing is, most average users wouldn't know to install things like ClassicShell, so they would need an IT person to tell them about it or set it up for them. I'm sure it's easy enough for the average user to install, but they need to have some way of finding out about it and how to get it. My mom for example, likely wouldn't know to do a google search for "alternate windows 8 shell" or "classic start menu". I'm not even sure she knows that the start menu is called the start menu... o wo

How many people do you know that don't have someone they can ask those questions to?

Yes, you're right...many users wouldn't know how to go about finding programs like Classic Shell on their own. So what? Very few people don't have someone they can ask for help from.

The point is...screaming at Microsoft for attempting to innovate needs to stop. You didn't like what they did? Too bad, get over it. Ask your nephew to help you get around it. Also, people should really become more familiar with the OS they're using. That would alleviate many of the issues and complaints. They don't need to become power users...they just need to learn more basics.
The issue at hand is that is only possible for users in control of thier machines. Say someone is at work they are **** out of luck because they aren't allowed to install anything. Yeah you might be able to make windows 8 halfway usaable at home, but at work? If windows doesn't push the update lots of businesses are going to avoid windows 8 due to it killing work productivity.

Businesses avoid updating to avoid the cost. They leave it to their IT staff to ensure everything works as it should.

Work computer complaints should not fall on Microsoft either...those should go to the IT staff and management. If productivity takes a hit, there was either a lack of training or the IT staff didn't configure everything correctly. (Being a sysadmin in a school district...I do understand that there will be users that can't adapt no mater what...heaven knows I have my fair share)
classic shell has been able to do this for a couple years now i think?

this is something that should have been at launch, but since it wasn't, alternatives popped up and all is well.
Charming Ishim
psychic stalker
Charming Ishim
psychic stalker
Charming Ishim

Because people have to learn an entire new way to use windows before they can return to working, and because metro was the first thing when you logged in you'll have cases of people calling a tech just to ask how to get to thier desktop.

Hi! you must be new here.

I work for a company that made the bold move to switch to windows 8!

And as it happens our workers are more productive than ever, as they spend far less time waiting for bootup and reboot, and their systems run faster and more efficiently!

As it happens, with the advent of the classic shell program, we can make windows 8 behave almost identically to windows 7 and windows vista, from a UI standpoint!

This means, with MINIMAL user direction, we can have them back up and running on their new windows 8.1 and windows server 2012 R2 Terminal Services sessions in no time at all, with significantly less overhead allowing for more efficient computing.

truly, it is an improvement in all ways.

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

psychic stalker
Cinea
It's freakin' awesome news like THIS that makes me so happy
I sincerely don't understand what's so great about the start menu. It's one of the more atrocious UI elements for what it does. Launchers like Synapse (Linux), Quicksilver (Mac), and RocketDock (Windows) are an order of magnitude more usable, and there are tons of other, more innovative launchers around that make the start menu look like the nightmare it is.

I can understand not liking Metro (it doesn't exactly rank well in usability), but liking the start menu is bordering on insanity. At least you can install something over the top of it to get something usable, but still.

Me and you have the same thoughts on the start menu..

Man-Hungry Man-Lover

Hey guys, if you want a windows 9 start menu like in the picture, but your running 7/8/8.1, the creators of Start Menu Reviver made a update!!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff