Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
article

Quote:
What is 5G? That seems to be the big industry question discussed in recent months. For those of us in mobile broadband, we may not know exactly what it will be, but we do know that demand for capacity and network quality is growing fast, and we’ll need to be able to boost network capacity by more than 10,000 times beyond 2020. As such, high peak and edge data rates and low latencies to support video, gaming and augmented reality applications will play a part in defining 5G technology. It will stretch far beyond 2020 and will enable a more scalable service experience on demand whereby people and machines will obtain a virtual zero latency gigabit experience where and when it matters...

So the usual first blush promises... faster gaming, higher quality streaming video, etc. Every new generation has promised us these things, each one inching just a bit closer. Perhaps 5G will be the fast, reliable mobile broadband that many of us have been waiting for. As one who is constantly chasing that perfect Internet experience, I'll be watching this closely.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Bandwidth being a limited resource, eventually the solution for achieving higher throughput will be having a lot more low-power micro-cells. Eg, relying on local WiFi networks for high-speed data, rather than long-range cell towers. This will imply changes in policy and culture to facilitate more bandwidth sharing. Or otherwise some kind of Public-Private Partnership to achieve the necessary scale.

The only way forward is Internet as a Utility (and subject to Common Carrier).

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
5G?! 5G?! Hold your horses!

We barely have 3G where I live and where there is 4G I've heard complaints of spotty and unreliable service.

Let's get 4G in anywhere other than big cities and running stable first before we start talking about 5G.

But yeah I would agree with Sitwon on the bandwidth issues. I've actually done a unit on this and each generation has had to use more ingenious ways to divvy up the limited bandwidth between an ever increasing number of users demanding more from their mobile services.

Sooner or later this will come to a brick wall and something will have to give.
Lanackse-Kanvae

We barely have 3G where I live and where there is 4G I've heard complaints of spotty and unreliable service.

Let's get 4G in anywhere other than big cities and running stable first before we start talking about 5G.

This.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area where I always have 4G, even when I travel between cities. But whenever I travel, if I leave the big cities then service and internet become a huge problem. I'm lucky to have 3G. Being spoiled, I don't know how people handle it.
Lanackse-Kanvae

This is about the point we were talking about 4G. 3G hadn't been deployed hardly at all, but standards groups were already working on the 4G specs. (And, actually, we had 3 or 4 of them. I'm just glad we more or less settled on one - LTE - in the US.)
Lanackse-Kanvae
Sooner or later this will come to a brick wall and something will have to give.
Tell that to DSL. This morning, I read an article on new VDSL2 deployments offering 1gbps service in Europe.

Most of the US doesn't even have 10-year-old VDSL yet, let alone 8-year-old VDSL2 or the slightly newer vectoring tech. The fastest DSL service I can get is 1.5mbps ADSL.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I like the distributed wifi idea, though if many users are on it, it will be slowed to a crawl. They'd have to come up with a bunch of BS rules, like no streaming and that would suck.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff