Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Do you prefer pretty/fancy editions of books over the normal copy?

Yes!! 0.3469387755102 34.7% [ 17 ]
No - books don't need to be prettied up 0.061224489795918 6.1% [ 3 ]
I don't care either way 0.3469387755102 34.7% [ 17 ]
I like illustrations, but the cover doesn't matter much 0.12244897959184 12.2% [ 6 ]
I like pretty covers but the illustration doesn't matter much 0.12244897959184 12.2% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 49 ]

Dangerous Lunatic

7,900 Points
  • Pet Trainer 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
Lately there have been a whole load of re-releases of classic books in super pretty covers. You have the Barnes and Noble leather bound classics, the Penguin linen bound ones and a whole load of others... Even the Folio Society has begun to advertise and grab the attention of the world around. Illustrations seem to be making a comeback. I assume it's because paper books are trying to compete with the kindle & those kind of things by being prettier than ebooks. Personally I'm really happy about it - I love books,and pretty books are even better.

So, what do you guys think? Are you happy about the pretty books? Are you willing to pay a little more for a nicer looking edition of a book? Do you have any other theories on why they've started to crop up?

And also, what classic/famous book would you most like to see in a super-pretty cover (that you don't thinks been done yet)?

7,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
I definitely love all the gorgeous copies that are coming out. I have 5 of the B&N books.

I do think the war with ebooks is kind of adding pressure to put out nicer books, but I also think it's because the classics don't really appeal to the general population unless they have something to draw you in. I've seen a lot of people grab the leather bound copies as gifts or spur of the moment, simply because they look nice.

I would love to have a leather bound copy of Beowulf or maybe even a Animal Farm/1984 duo.

Alex Clyde's Wife

Angelic Phantom

9,300 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Married 100
I like some nice art, but it doesn't matter to me. I did recently see something new though. I've been working on the Harry Potter series and I went to Books a Million 1 day to buy the next books. There was a set with new art on it and there were illustrations on the spines that when lined up together looked like an image of the Hogwarts castle. Ebooks are nice and all if that's how you want to read, but I prefer to be holding an actual book.

Lavish Wench

12,450 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Battle Hardened 150
I don't like the Barnes and Noble leather editions. Trying way too hard.

A pretty book to me is a tasteful one. Leather or cloth is best, but they don't need to be excessively decorative. I find modern "fancy" bindings are generally incredibly tacky and have none of the subtly of older editions. They're also lacking in workmanship.

I collect older books. Some of my nicest are a full set of E. T. A. Hoffmann's works done in leather and Italian marbled paper. They're from the 1800s. I also have a fondness for Hawthorne and have a bunch of his first editions, and a few Longfellow as well. Also my second edition of Through the Looking Glass is notable - it looks exactly like the first edition but lacks a publishing date. I had to have someone identify it because I couldn't figure out what it was exactly after I purchased it for a quarter at a used book shop.

I'm picky though. I don't buy books just because they're old. I am pretty choosy.

I do, however, think the Easton Press does some lovely collectible editions. I have a few on my wish list at the moment.

And, for the record, I don't think any of this has to do with eBooks. There have been special editions and specialty publishers for longer than there have been digital editions, since longer than we've had computers. Anyone who thinks otherwise is falling into a reactionary mindset. People are just predisposed to like pretty things that we deem as "special", and the publishers know they can play into this. It isn't enough for a fan to have a set of first editions now, they need the special edition too, and the anniversary edition, and the illustrated and so on. Nothing to do with digital content. It's just consumerism.

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I absolutely love when books have beautiful cover redesigns. However, a lot of the books I buy are usually the ones with the cover design from the edition I first read. I prefer the cover I originally fell in love with. I actually have three versions of The Hobbit because of this. biggrin

Thieving Scrounger

36,475 Points
  • Married 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Lilac Wood
I don't like the Barnes and Noble leather editions. Trying way too hard.

Awww, come on. Not even the one for H.P. Lovecraft Complete Fiction?! sad
I love the way the old ones look. Now it's not so much about the book but having the new cover

boybaka's Significant Otter

High-functioning Bookworm

19,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Sausage Fest 200
I love art just as much as I love books, so a pretty cover or a nice binding makes me very happy. Plus, books that are bound properly last much longer than a cheap paperback, which is great because I like to re-read books many times over. As long as there isn't too much of a price difference, I'll go for the prettier book.

Friendly Lover

7,650 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I want those books. biggrin

Interesting Seeker

5,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
I hate to admit it but I do enjoy beautiful covers. Being kind of artsy, I like looking at new designs. As for paying more? Depends on how much. After all, you're going to be reading it, not hanging it up on the wall.

Mega Newb

7,450 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
The Folio Society has absolutely gorgeous books, and I was lucky to snag "The High Middle Ages" from Amazon for pretty cheap (whew). Too bad these books are more expensive... They're more catching to the eye, I suppose. And, I really do like the Penguin cloth-bound, or pretty much any release by them, be it classics or not.

I agree about the Barnes and Noble leather-bound classics: they maybe trying a little too hard. Some of them are really striking, but others... Not sure so much. The plus side: they're usually compiled (or complete) works, which is nice.

Also on the rise of illustrations in the books: that's so neat! It tickles me that this is becoming a thing again. Well, from what I can tell.

Invisible Ghost

I love it when publishers make an effort to make interesting or especially beautiful covers.

These are a new print of old classics, and I adore these covers, I think they're just fantastic. I am such a sucker for book covers that look like they're from 1950's pulp fiction.

I adore this cover of 1984, and probably would have bought it if I'd seen it in a bookshop, and if I didn't already have it.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Firebreathing Duck

6,625 Points
  • Dragon Master 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
I tend to lean on a title
for some reason more than
i do a image/cover and such.

Getting a nice cover is fun for
the eyes but I tend to love a book
for whats on the inside.

Beloved Bloodsucker

20,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I buy books that have movie cover on them....like Twilight, Water for Elephants etc

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff