My word. 0.26470588235294 26.5% [ 18 ]
I say. 0.20588235294118 20.6% [ 14 ]
Quite. 0.52941176470588 52.9% [ 36 ]
Total Votes:[ 68 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 293 294 295 > >> >>> »|

User Image

x

HELLO, AND WELCOME TO SHOGANAI!

Welcome to Shoganai!, my OC request thread.
You might recognize the title -- I held a contest
a bit ago under the same name.

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇

THREAD :: OPEN
COMMISSIONS :: OPEN

FUNDS :: ONLY GOLD AND ITEMS FOR THE TIME BEING. NO RL COMMISSIONS.

CURRENTLY SEEKING :: JUNE, CELESTE

I really need more examples for Celeste - I'd be thankful if you were to take a look!

*This does NOT mean that I am only accepting apps for these characters! (:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Recent art by Quillu

x

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇

User Image

You can call me Toki, though I answer to Tokin/Tokerly/any variant thereof.
I’m very nearly an adult, but am clawing feverishly at any remnants of
childhood I can (the real world is hard). I like to think myself capable
of being able to balance internet life and real life,
and am often at least lurking on Gaia. These days most of my Gaian time is spent
amassing art of my OCs, but I do also hold auctions of my own from time to time. Here’s my Deviantart.

I call my comic series and universe in which my characters exist “Shoganai! (しょうがない)”
It’s a Japanese phrase that roughly translates to “it can’t be helped” or, “nothing can
be done”. While definitely a leftover from my (slightly embarrassing) weeaboo days, I still feel
confident that the phrase reflects the themes of my OCs’ world. Many of these
things that I’m exploring are personal to me - sexuality, reassurance in self identity, and accepting
consequences of the actions that we make from day to day, large or small – but
hopefully they are accessible and personal to many others as well.

This thread was originally an art contest, where I met
many people who I am now happy to call my friends.
Today, while I am still hunting for art, I consider
this thread to be a sort of home base for my Gaian
activity. There are a lot of really cool regulars in
here- perhaps you’d like to stick around and meet them.

x

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇

User Image

4/2/11 || I've done some cleaning-up of some bios and re-written the intro. Also new: the featured post.
7/13/10 || New thread layout is in full swing, as well as some updates in the banners and main images for the OCs.
Everything is looking really sexy! Thank you, Sparks!
6/21/10 || I put up a link to where I keep the pages of the comic in post 05. Please do check it out at your leisure.
4/10 /10|| Profiles for June and Celeste are up, as well as relationship bios that can be found in the "Extra Info" post (post 5).

x

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇

User Image

01 || Intro
02 || Rules, Formalities, Entry Form
03 || Characters
04 || Characters
05 || Extra Info
06 || Links In & Out
07-09 || Reserved
10 || Opening post

* All characters in this thread are (c) me, AkamatsuToki,
except June Terres who is (c) FuyuMitsukai and used with permission.

* ___` layout by ( xx SPARK ) +
User Image

x

JUST SOME RULES; IT CAN'T BE HELPED.

01 || x Follow the TOS.

02 || x Bumping is great, conversation is better.

03 || x Do NOT steal art.
                                03 || x If I find out that anything you've claimed as yours was stolen, I will report you.

04 || x Please don't do art unless I've accepted your offer.
                                04 || x If this happens, please know that I'll consider it a freebie.
                                04 || x I'm a nice enough guy but I'm not stupid.

05 || x Please make sure you read through everything.
                                05 || x I know it may seem cut-and-dry but it's just a good habit to get into.
                                05 || x And really, it's not that much to read. (:

06 || x Be respectful to myself, my thread-goers, and everyone involved.

07 || x Post the order form in this thread.
                                07 || x If I like what I see, I'll tell you so and send a trade.
                                07 || x If what you're offering isn't what I'm looking for at the moment, I'll also tell you so.
                                07 || x Please don't take it personally if I don't take your offer!

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇

x

User Image

x

OKAY, I'M INTERESTED.
Awesome! If you're interested in applying,
please post the form below in this thread.

[size=9][color=#B7C1C1][b]SHOGANAI!! IT CAN'T BE HELPED.[/b][/color][/size]
                                [size=10][color=#60657E][b]Username »»[/b] [Full username, plz]
                                [b]OC »»[/b] [the OC you'd like to draw. Here's where you should specify on couples.]
                                [b]Samples »»[/b] [A fair amount, please]
                                [b]Gallery »»[/b] [If applicable. Photobucket or Deviantart will do.]
                                [b]Price »»[/b] [How much are you asking for what you want to do?]
                                [b]Timeframe »»[/b] [How long do you think it might take you?][/color][/size]

x

xxxxxHere's what the form looks like:

x

SHOGANAI!! IT CAN'T BE HELPED.
                                Username »» AkamatsuToki
                                OC »» Katsu and Naoki
                                Samples »» [link] [link] [link]
                                Gallery »» [My Gallery]
                                Price »» 20K bust-up, 40K waist-up, 80k full-body
                                Timeframe »» Two to three weeks.

User Image

x

User Image

User Image
                                          (Yes, the dog is an option!)

Age » ~ 2 yrs.
                                          Size » Large -- he's a German shepherd/pyreneese mix.
                                          Hair/eyes » Coat is cream-coloured, has brown 'badger' markings. Eyes are brown
                                          Personality » Goulash is very sweet, and despite his size, isn't much of a guard dog (in which case he's about as useful as Scooby Doo). He likes to meet people.

Relationships »
                                          Vinicio - Technically, Vin is his owner
                                          Katsu - BFF FOREVARRRR
                                          Everyone else - Happy to see them

Likes » Eating bugs, proscuitto, and important documents. Frisbees.
                                          Dislikes » Loud noises, (fear of) cats.

Things To Know » Goulash was a well-cared for part of a family, but got separated from them during a move. He literally followed Vinicio home one day. His face markings are badger-like. His paws are brown and stop halfway up his legs. The tip of his tail is also brown. The collar is optional, but if you include it, it's normally red (that doesn't mean it has to be red).

User Image User Image User Image

[ Goulash's Gallery ]

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age » Early twenties (she’s older than Katsu by a few minutes)
                                          Occupation » Full-time fashion student
                                          Height » 5'5"
                                          Hair/Eyes » Hair is bleached, bangs have purple highlights. Eyes are green.
                                          Nationality » Half-Asian (Japanese on her dad's side and Caucasian on her mom's.) Born in Sacramento, CA.
                                          Personality » June refuses to be pushed around. She is violent when angry, and terrible with giving advice (especially relationship advice). She has a very strong sense of morals and is very protective of her brothers, Katsu and Keita. She gets embarrassed when she's caught being interested in anything other than bad-a** (this excludes if she's caught by family members).

Relationships »
                                          Katsu - Her younger twin brother
                                          Naoki - Mutual friend, ignores his advances
                                          Vinicio - Mutual Friend
                                          Mai - Mutual friend

Likes » Skating, cooperative models, designing clothes, teasing her brother
                                          Dislikes » Being embarrassed, sunlight, dogs, gangs

Things To Know » She has a beauty mark under her left eye and most often wears her hair in a clip. She loves skating and often wears sunglasses. She designs and makes her own clothes. Special note on the sunglasses - She always has a pair on her and owns a few others so she still has one if she loses one. If they're not on her face, she wears them on her head, hanging off her shirt, or hides them in her purse. Reason being - her eyes are sensitive to sunlight. When their parents split up, she lived with her mother and took her maiden name.

User Image User Image User Image User Image

[ June's Gallery ]

* June Terres was designed and is played by FuyuMitsukai, who was kind enough to lend her to me so that Katsu can chill with his sis.

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age » Early twenties (he's younger than June by a few minutes)
                                          Occupation » Music student, part-time employee at a record store
                                          Height » 5'5"
                                          Hair/Eyes » Hair is bleached, bangs have red highlights. Eyes are brown.
                                          Nationality » Half-Asian (Japanese on his dad's side and Caucasian on his mom's.) Born in Sacramento, CA.
                                          Personality » His look is punk rock and he tries to follow accordingly where personality in concerned. Katsu is bit rough around the edges and is awkward with expressing pretty much any emotion that isn't anger or goofing off. He's casual and sometimes could be considered as aloof around strangers, and can hold impressive grudges. Around his friends he's confident (even overly-so) and sillier than he looks.

Relationships »
                                          June - His older sister
                                          Naoki - His roommate
                                          Vinicio - His boyfriend
                                          Mikhail - Mutual friend
                                          Mai - Ex-girlfriend, co-worker

Likes » Playing guitar, playing with the dog, drinking, teasing his roommate, teasing his sister (he's just generally impish), the beach, music (hard rock specifically, but likes all types of music), food, sex.
                                          Dislikes » Seafood, airplanes, being shown affection in public, being short.

Things To Know » *Katsu has a beauty mark under his left eye*. He considers it to be feminine and hates it when his friends tease him about it. Piercings: Three left, four right, and a tongue stud. One piercing that violates the TOS. He likes to accessorize, so any sort of cool bracelets/rings/necklaces that you want to throw onto him, go for it. He wears a gold band on his left ring finger. When his parents split up, he lived with his father.

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

[ Katsu's Gallery ]

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age>> Nineteen
                                          Occupation » Design student, part-time employee at a record store
                                          Height » 5'3"
                                          Hair/Eyes » Hair is naturally black, eyes are dark brown.
                                          Nationality » Vietnamese by heritage, born and raised in New York.
                                          Personality » Mai is spunky, intelligent, and outgoing -- she will not take any of your s**t. She loves music, though has no musical abilities herself, and always looks for the best in people. Upon first impression she might seem a little overbearing. She knows how cute she is and isn't above using it to her advantage.

Relationships »
                                          June - Mutual friend
                                          Katsu - Her ex-boyfriend
                                          Naoki - Mutual friend

Likes » Interior design, working, people.
                                          Dislikes » Tough customers, closed spaces, death metal, introverts.

Things To Know » Her hair style should be relatively consistent, but if you want to make minor variations that's cool. Her outfits, if you want to put her in something else, should be fairly urban and fashion-conscious. She's broken up with Katsu, but they're still on friendly (if not a little bit awkward) terms.

[ Mai's Gallery ]

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age>> 25
                                          Occupation » Student, human rights activist
                                          Height » 5'7"
                                          Hair/Eyes » Hair is red, eyes are blue
                                          Nationality » Russian (Moscow)
                                          Personality » Mikhail isn't afraid to take a stand for what he believes in and wants others to do the same. While he means well, he is very blunt, which can rub some people the wrong way. Once you get past that he is a very fun person to be around. He finds human interaction fascinating, craving it himself. He loves stimulating conversation and could be considered a rabble-rouser. He's good at debate and has more than a few protests under his belt, as well as a (minor) criminal record.

Relationships »
                                          Vinicio - Friend
                                          Katsu - Mutual friend

Likes » Agitating people, human studies, drinking.
                                          Dislikes » Bad conversationalists, pork, rain, snow.

Things To Know » Mikhail is anemic and gets cold and tired easily. It would be cool if you could include his scarf, but it's not necessary. It has sentimental value to him. He's actively part of Amnesty International. He's Jewish.

[ Mikhail's Gallery ]

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age » 35
                                          Occupation » University English professor
                                          Height » 5’9”
                                          Hair/Eyes » Hair and eyes are brown
                                          Nationality » American
                                          Personality » Celeste is a hardass when it comes to grading, but only out of wanting to motivate her students. She’s the type of person that you want to impress, and her approval is well-earned. Many deem her as sassy - she isn't afraid to speak her mind and admires others who do the same, even if it's in opposition to her. She is a very analytical thinker.

Relationships »
                                          Vinicio - Close friend
                                          Katsu - Her student (this is exactly as awkward as it seems)

Likes » Film noir, correcting students, August, the ocean, houseplants, her office, cappuccino.
                                          Dislikes » Shitty writing, taking the subway, rain, spinach, cigarettes, spiders, conferences

Things To Know » Celeste is engaged to a man named Richard – the date of the wedding isn’t set yet due to financial concerns, but they do live together. Vinicio works in the writing center as an English tutor, but as a favour to her gives Celeste's students priority. In return she bitches him out for smoking. That's a mole on her upper lip.

This is what her engagement ring looks like.

Working on getting more refs; I would love you forever if you would give her a try!

[ Celeste’s Gallery ]

User Image

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age » Early twenties
                                          Occupation » Student
                                          Height » 5'5"
                                          Hair/Eyes » Hair is naturally blond, eyes are blue
                                          Nationality » Swedish and Japanese, born in Sundsvall and raised in America (father is a psychotic Asian businessman but his mother's genes won the genetic cage-fight.)
                                          Personality » Naoki is a bit eccentric, and loses patience easily when he's not on the same page as the person he's talking with. Besides that he's very friendly and outgoing when it suits him, but is also content to isolate himself. He has a hard-on for technology and loves video games. He's very oriented to problem-solving.

Relationships »
                                          Katsu - Roommate, hilarious bromance ensues
                                          Mai - Mutual friend

Likes » Computers, gadgets, gaming.
                                          Dislikes » People who don't follow his train of thought, being waited on.

Things To Know » He's head-over-heels for Katsu's twin sister, June. Naoki comes from a wealthy family, and in his childhood was assigned an au pair of sorts that still works as a housekeeper for Naoki's family. His father is very sensitive to the fact that his son doesn't look like him.

[ Naoki's Gallery ]

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age » Late thirties
                                          Occupation » Butler to the Miyabita family
                                          Height » 6'2"
                                          Hair/Eyes » Hair is dirty blond, eyes are blue
                                          Nationality » Russian
                                          Personality » Quiet and polite, a bit cunning from having to counter all of Naoki's childhood attempts to act out. Really, I have no reason for him being here, I just love him too much to let him sit in a corner.

Relationships»
                                          Naoki

Likes » Unknown
                                          Dislikes » Unknown

Things To Know » Like I said, Sergey has really no reason to be around anymore, but I really like him.

Coming soon.

[ Sergey's Gallery ]

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age » (When she's around, 20)
                                          Occupation » n/a
                                          Height » 5'5"
                                          Hair/Eyes » Hair is dark and curly, eyes are gold-green.
                                          Nationality » Italian (From Salerno, leaves and moves north)
                                          Personality » Seraphina became a mother in her 20's with a man who refused to even acknowledge that they had a relationship. She abandoned the child out of spite and left town.

Relationships »
                                          Vinicio - Estranged son

Likes » ???
                                          Dislikes » ???

Things To Know » Seraphina doesn't exist in present-day, so there's not much interaction to be had between her and any of the others. There's a lot of opportunity here for angst-art. Put her in what you want, so long as it's elegant.

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

[ Seraphina's Gallery ]

x

User Image

User Image
                                          Age » Late twenties
                                          Occupation » Copy-editor, college writing center help
                                          Height » 6'2"
                                          Hair/eyes » Hair is dark and curly, eyes are gold-green.
                                          Nationality » Italian (Born in Salerno)
                                          Personality » Polite to strangers and (tactfully, for the most part) honest. He has a deadpan sort of humour to him and is not often overtly silly. He absolutely has to be right all the time, and is a hard worker. He was very dedicated to his schooling, as he had to pay for college and graduate school himself.

Relationships »
                                          Goulash - His dog
                                          Katsu - Boyfriend
                                          Celeste - Close friend
                                          Mikhail - Friend/client
                                          Seraphina - Estranged mother

Likes » Reading, writing, smoking, correcting people (hence the job), jazz, debate
                                          Dislikes » Difficult people, rulers, nuns, being wrong

Things To Know » Vinicio basically thrives on cigarettes and coffee, though Katsu has decided for him that he's going to quit smoking--Vin iss not at all happy about it. He wears a gold band on his ring finger. Outfit doesn't matter, though he's more likely to wear collared or tight-fitting, simple shirts. To his knowledge, he is an orphan, but honestly doesn't care all that much. He's achieved a happy and stable life without his missing parents and is ambivalent to their having existed at all.

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

[ Vinicio's Gallery ]

User Image

x

Shoganai! The Comic: I'm still largely in the works, but if you want to take a look at relationship dynamics that isn't TLDR, check out a couple pages of the comic for MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY. /thumbs up

x

x

User Image

If you like to learn a bit more about the relationship dynamics, here's where to look.

Also Allirax3 has made me a handy-dandy relationship chart.

June and Katsu » June and Katsu are twins. They were very close when they were young children living in California; when the family moved to New York and they enrolled in middle school, their relationship became strained. Katsu acted out often. They had little positive interaction during their highschool years until their parents split up. June, feeling it her duty as the eldest, was the one largely responsible for keeping her brothers and herself together through this process. It was experiencing this together that lead to June and Katsu’s renewed closeness. As a result of this new relationship, June is the only person that Katsu has been comfortable with and has trusted enough to come out to.

June and Naoki » June knows Naoki through her brother. She often visits their filthy apartment to scoff at the boys’ complete lack of skill in cleaning, and while she knows that Naoki is attracted to her, she isn’t quite aware of how serious he is about it. Naoki is shy about June and obviously fumbles around her, but isn’t sure of how to approach her. As a result, she is politely interested in him and, also as a result of her lack of dating confidence, has not reciprocated. She sometimes views him as her personal IT guy, but not in a manipulative way – and Naoki doesn’t mind.

June and Mai » June and Mai met through Katsu (and became closer than he probably would have liked). Mai is cute and petite – they both know it; so June often asks to use her as a model for final projects. Mai likes to preen and is happy to oblige, so the two have a mutually beneficial relationship. They can easily share a laugh.

June and Vinicio » Being an older sister, June naturally wants to take an interest in her brother’s conquests. And despite what Katsu thinks, she really is approving of his love life – thrilled, even, that there’s another person to keep his a** in line when she’s not. Vinicio feels similarly and finds June to be funny and engaging. Vin has been on the scene for a little while before he eventually meets June – and when they do, it is by a coincidental, separate encounter where they both realize who each other are. They rarely hang out alone, but do like one another.

Katsu and Mai » Katsu instigated his and Mai’s romantic relationship during the summer before their freshman year of college. They had known one another through Acid Vinyl, the record store where they both work, and got along well. The breakup was mutual, as they both agreed that they were missing something between them – Katsu at this point hadn’t made the connection. They are still coworkers, and though it’s marginally awkward, they are managing to still remain friends.

Katsu and Celeste » Celeste is Katsu’s English professor, and the one who shunted him off onto Vinicio. They have a rocky sort of dynamic. Katsu’s difficulty with English is a secret to nobody, and Celeste is simultaneously dismayed and endeared to him for it. They both have fiery personalities and often verbally argue (sometimes in the middle of class and despite the teacher-student positions), but they eventually develop an exasperated affection for one another. Celeste loves to gossip and feels entitled to knowing about all of the details of Katsu and Vinicio’s relationship – Katsu doesn’t agree. Hilarity ensues.

Katsu and Naoki » Neither Naoki or Katsu wanted to live on campus, and met through a paper ad that Naoki put out. Their attitudes towards each other at first were lukewarm at best, but to their surprise, they discovered that they had more in common than they would have thought. They split the rent of a one-bedroom walk-up in a horrible neighborhood, go out drinking, and have a collection of stolen subway signs in their bathroom. Naoki pesters Katsu by having his computer on all night, but harassment is mutual, as Katsu chooses inconvenient times to practice guitar.

Katsu and Vinicio » If Katsu hated himself in highschool, Vinicio’s appearance in college was the determining factor in a full-on nervous breakdown and existential crisis. Katsu hated being in his own skin for the longest time, while Vin merely considered the boy to be stupid - but at the very least, cute. When his despairing became too much for him, Katsu confronted Vin with much drama and gesturing - as he is wont to do – blaming Vin for everything that was happening to him now that he was finally getting his life back together. Vin teased him initially, but proposed that why shouldn’t they give it a go, thinking that it would be a brief fling. Katsu was nervous even when they were established, and much to Vin’s dismay, took time before warming up to the idea of intimacy. During this time Vin discovered that Katsu actually was interesting and talented. Likewise, Katsu learned that Vin was more than just a b*****d and a grammar nazi. Vin fancies himself to be something like a teacher for Katsu, but they learn from each other. They argue and tease each other constantly, but it’s their way of showing affection. Katsu rarely calls Vin by name unless something's up.

Celeste and Vinicio » Though Celeste was a senior when Vin was a freshman, they became very good friends and remained close even when she was going through the aggravation of grad school. They get together often; while Vinicio is sociable and outgoing, he considers Celeste to have been his first close friend after immigrating to America. They are both very realistic and honest, but ultimately supportive of one another in both relationship and career matters (Celeste fretted often about her now-fiancee Richard and sought a second opinion from Vin; In turn she was able to talk him down several times during his thesis-writing). Vinicio and Celeste are similar in their biting senses of humour, interests in literature, and being right.

Naoki and Sergey » Sergey was present in Naoki's upbringing and is thus like an older brother to him. He is, simply put, the family butler and throughout Naoki's childhood had to put up with the teenager's guff. He knows all of Naoki's tricks and quirks and weaknesses. He has a subtle snarkiness about him which he uses against Naoki.

Serephina and Vinicio » Vinicio has never met his mother. Seraphina was born and raised in Salerno, Italy – an overwhelmingly Roman Catholic area. She was a kind girl, if not reserved, and very devout until her affair with the priest at her church challenged her beliefs. She was eighteen, and over the following year was convinced that keeping their relationship a secret was acceptable; she was convinced that theirs was an unshakeable love, and that they would cope somehow. When Seraphina became pregnant with Father Niccolo’s child, she confronted him, trying to convince him that this was the time to elope and start a new life. Niccolo refused anything to do with her. Seraphina’s parents disowned their daughter for having a child out of wedlock. Despondent and bitter, she left the child at the church the same night she left town, knowing that even if nobody else believed her, Niccolo would at least know what he’d done. Vinicio spent the next eighteen years of his life wondering offhand why the Father always looked at him so strangely. Seraphina does not feel badly about the son she abandoned, only the life she lost.

x

User Image

Listed below are some things that I like in art. Whether or not you include them is up to you; just something to get the creative juices flowing!

Colour » Burgundy is my favourite colour, but I also like high saturation as well as black and white.

Songs in Art » Meaning lyrics. I love meaningful lyrics used in art.

Scenarios » Every day scenes, like Vinicio pulling an all-nighter for a deadline, or Naoki with some sort of new gadget. (I realise that this one may be a bit more complicated if you don't know the characters in-depth. I tried to provide enough information to make this a bit more possible)

Language » There are a lot of different languages between my characters (Japanese, Italian, Vietnamese, Swedish). I fancy myself interested in languages - I love to look at them and read them. If you know any of the languages my characters speak, sharing would be welcome.

Humour » Dialogue isn't necessary, of course, but if you can make me laugh I have a great respect for you.

User Image

x

[url=http://tinyurl.com/ydkr3yw][IMG]http://tinyurl.com/4r9mxca[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/ydkr3yw][IMG]http://tinyurl.com/3mqn7a7[/IMG][/url]

↓Banners made by Quillu

[url=http://tinyurl.com/ydkr3yw][img]http://i52.tinypic.com/wt6gjp.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/ydkr3yw][img]http://i55.tinypic.com/s6m7ax.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/ydkr3yw][img]http://i56.tinypic.com/11bhe8g.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/ydkr3yw][img]http://i52.tinypic.com/15697rr.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/ydkr3yw][img]http://i54.tinypic.com/2n1fknl.png[/img][/url]

x

User Image

x

PLEASE POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU'D LIKE TO AFFILIATE. (:

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers