Welcome to Gaia! ::

11,025 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
There have been a lot of good anime recently however I feel the 90s was the best decade for anime. Do you think anime is getting better or worse over time?

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

Neither. It has remained completely unchanged in terms of quality outside of animation technique (which is improving).

The only thing changing is you, and you look at the past with rose-tinted glasses.

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
*Shrugs* No matter what era you're looking at, there's a lot of trash and a lot of treasure. Beyond that, it's all opinions.

Stubborn Seeker

the only big difference 90s anime and todays anime is that theres more anime centered around highschool besides that anime from the 90s and now is about the same quality of good and bad
2007 - Mononoke
2008 - Spice and Wolf
2012 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

I don't know about you, but I've been enjoying anime immensely. I'm still in the middle of watching Log Horizon for now.
thesupremekaidbz
There have been a lot of good anime recently however I feel the 90s was the best decade for anime. Do you think anime is getting better or worse over time?

The animation has gotten better and the people creating that have been around have gained skills and the ability to target audiences have gotten better as the internet has allowed feedback. Also the ability that non-japanese speaking people to view and understand anime due to fan subs is great. (note: it was not until the 90's this was possible) As it was the 90's was an era sometimes referred to as the golden age of anime in the western world it was popular and was a new fad meaning you could find anime shops or anime related items almost anywhere and see the influence in products like t-shirts and other items. Which is why you probable think it was the best time for anime. Myself I just like anime no matter when it was made I am just glad for fansubbers as my Japanese is not the best and before that we had to read index cards to understand the VHS recorded anime as there was no internet.

Fashionable Shoujo

8,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Signature Look 250
Honestly? I'm starting to get sick of the harem, fanservice and sis-con anime. It never seems to stop. I think the industry has become tainted and perverse. There's still good anime coming out, but seeing a good show or idea turn into fanservice really just puts me off. Not everyone wants to see bouncing "tiddys" and cameltoe every episode. I am all for cute girls, but some shows go WAY too far.. a good example this season is Saekano..

Insularis's Waifu

Witty Phantom

I notice there are a lot of trend genres.
Loyal Assassin Jafar

This is true. My only problem with it is trends don't usually make good stories. Good stories usually make trends so instead of trying to work a half-a** trend anime. Why not try to be as original as possible and work with that? Sure it's.a harder but I'm sure the pay off would be worth it. Why don't anime companies do this a little more?

Insularis's Waifu

Witty Phantom

Kyrel The Brawler
Loyal Assassin Jafar

This is true. My only problem with it is trends don't usually make good stories. Good stories usually make trends so instead of trying to work a half-a** trend anime. Why not try to be as original as possible and work with that? Sure it's.a harder but I'm sure the pay off would be worth it. Why don't anime companies do this a little more?

Profit. If there is something they know people will watch, they will focus on putting out series that cater to that audience. They want to cater to the largest demographic available.

Khraleon's Wife

Kawaii Wife

Loyal Assassin Jafar

This is nothing new by any means. You'll notice it often in anime history.

The late 70s had a super robot boom, 80s was pretty big on sci-fi and futuristic/post-apoc anime, 90s was a pretty big shounen boom, probably to cash in on the success of dragonball, 2000s seemed to have a prevalence in slice of life to some degree or another, and that's continued. I'm not really sure what I can say the prevalent trend of the 2010s is

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
tailgatetf
the only big difference 90s anime and todays anime is that theres more anime centered around highschool besides that anime from the 90s and now is about the same quality of good and bad

I'd agree with this... It used to be predominant;y space, now it's predominantly high school.
The Fullmetal Narcissist
tailgatetf

I'd agree with this... It used to be predominantly space, now it's predominantly high school.

What's wrong with Space High School exactly?

Dangerous Hunter

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cart Raider 100
I can't really say since I've mainly started watching during 2007 till now and haven't really seen the old ones. I do hate that most of the new anime each season are moe, ecchi and crap like that. Was it like that back then? I do like the old animation style better. The new animation style looks pretty clean, but it feels too flashy. I felt like the old animation style had better flow. (I honestly don't know enough about what I'm talking about, so don't get pissed if you find this false).

Eloquent Humorist

11,675 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Javier Cross
The Fullmetal Narcissist
tailgatetf

I'd agree with this... It used to be predominantly space, now it's predominantly high school.

What's wrong with Space High School exactly?

Is that a real show?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces