Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is American animation about good stories or humor?

Good Stories 0.082474226804124 8.2% [ 16 ]
Good Humor 0.2319587628866 23.2% [ 45 ]
Both 0.34536082474227 34.5% [ 67 ]
None 0.092783505154639 9.3% [ 18 ]
I don't watch cartoons 0.036082474226804 3.6% [ 7 ]
gold...just gold 0.21134020618557 21.1% [ 41 ]
Total Votes:[ 194 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

7,300 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Team Edward 100
This has been on my mind for a while now and I wish to know from others, on this site at least, your opinion on cartoons that are on now a days.

For Cartoon Network sad personal favorite back then)
I used to love cartoon network back then as a 90's kid with shows like Courage the Cowardly dog, Samurai Jack, Scooby Doo and many others. Now I see Adventure Time, Regular show, Uncle Grandpa to name a few and I understand what the target audience might be but I dislike the whole lot. The only show I watch now is the Dragon series now since all other shows I watched are now cancelled or boomeranged. Once the Dragon series is done I don't think I can watch Cartoon network anymore just for the bits of Toonami and Adult Swim.

For Disney:
I don't watch any cartoons on Disney anymore since the shows I used to watch are gone like Kim Possible, Lilo and Stitch and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Oh the new Marvel cartoons that are out right now... I am not a comic book expert or even reader but I liked Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes because of how great the story line was. it's cancelled because of the movie...Avenger Assemble pops up....no

For Nickelodeon:
I watched a few shows like Avatar last airbender, Danny Phantom and Fairy odd parents. If it were not for Legend of Korra I would have dropped this network too for having nothing on that I liked. I may watch a few shows of Spongebob or Parents again but not for a long term.

I would discuss more of my opinions on the shows in more details but this thread is about what people think of Cartoons currently on. So I think its all about the quick buck before things look too good and scrap the show for silly humor that "...panders to the lowest common denominator... And it doesn't even do that well!" (Stewie Griffin to Brain Griffin in Brian's Play)

This is just a rant and I want to know what others think so rant away.
Cartoon network used to be good a long time ago when I was growing up. But when the crappy shows started flooding it I stopped watching it. One of my favorites was Billy and Mandy. That show was funny as hell and awesome. Dragon Ball Z was my all time favorite though. I remember watching it when it first came out on Toonami. It's the only anime I ever liked lol. I don't really like any others besides DBZ. It's probably the best anime ever created.

Sweet Star

I wouldn't say the networks broadcasting the cartoons are good....quite the opposite xD
Yeah, I loved most of the cartoons from the early-mid 1900's but lately all of these are taking a turn for the worse. My family wont even have their kids watch what's on Cartoon Network XD
Also, what seriously irks me is the fact that they made that new Looney Tunes Show thing which made me happy to see my old faves, but the art felt weird to me and the story-lines are crap.
I can go on and on about Disney and Nickelodeon, too, but it's basically the same dilemma.

Tipsy Gawker

The nostaglia goggles are strong in here.

I grew up in the 90s, but I hated almost every show. The only reason I watched shows like Catdog and Hey Arnold was because I lived in an apartment and there was nothing else for me to do. The only shows I actually liked as a kid were The Powerpuff Girls, some show about a talking blue dog (I can't remember the name of it for the life of me), and Invader Zim. As an adult, I occasionally like to watch Courage the Cowardly Dog and Spongebob (I watched Courage when I was younger, but the show didn't scare me when I was a kid and as an adult, I have more of an appreciation for nightmare fuel). I never was a fan of the shows on Disney, but that's because I hated anything that wasn't a cartoon and I outright gave up when there was some sitcom on 90% of the time I turned to that channel.

As an adult, Cartoonnetwork has one redeeming show and that's Adventure Time. Other shows like Regular Show and Gumball just aren't my thing and I really hate Cartoonnetwork's push to make live action shows a thing (Like The Incredible Crew or whatever that piece of crap was called). When Cartoonnetwork brought on Steven Universe, I really really tried to like it, but I just can't. And Uncle Grandpa is a hit or miss for me.

As for Nickelodeon, I have very mixed feelings about it. iCarly was a great show that suffered one major problem that made the show unwatchable - Carly. If their main character hadn't been such a Mary Sue, it would've been a great show imo. At least in its earlier days. Once the show started forcing situations where Miranda Cosgrove would start singing (so that Nickelodeon could make an iCarly CD and profit even more), the show's only redeeming features (Sam and Spencer) couldn't save it. Then you move to Victorious, where you have a great cast full of interesting characters and this awesome setting (a school specialized for the arts)...and then there's Tori. You have Cat and Jade, who have way better singing voices than Tori, but Tori is always the one picked to perform in huge concerts and be in movies and whatnot. Both iCarly and Victorious had so much potential until the title characters ruined the shows.

So basically...I like the current shows on Nickelodeon/Cartoonnetwork more than I did when I was growing up. All of Nickelodeon's sitcoms are plagued by awful Mary Sues and Cartoonnetwork's only good show (imo) is Adventure Time, but considering that I disliked Doug, Hey Arnold, Catdog, Dexter's Lab, etc., I'm actually getting more enjoyment out of their current crap shows than their older crap shows.
X_Unworthy
Yeah, I loved most of the cartoons from the early-mid 1900's but lately all of these are taking a turn for the worse. My family wont even have their kids watch what's on Cartoon Network XD
Also, what seriously irks me is the fact that they made that new Looney Tunes Show thing which made me happy to see my old faves, but the art felt weird to me and the story-lines are crap.
I can go on and on about Disney and Nickelodeon, too, but it's basically the same dilemma.

the new Looney tunes is soooo lame, and like not funny at all. I hate it

Newbie Vampire

16,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Marathon 300
Those channels used to be good. Used to be. Not anymore. I can't stand the garbage on tv nowadays..

5,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
does anybody remember invader zim
I used to enjoy some of their shows.
I dont really like Nick or Disney anymore. They actually have horrible shows on them and its not the same as they used to be. Now i like CN though. They have some good and bad shows on there but i like the Adult Swim which has the anime.

Friendly Exhibitionist

12,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
I don't watch actual TV anymore but they do have some good currently new shows.
i like cartoon network among them............
join http://forexpunch.com/ for fx rates, foreign exchange traders, foreign exchange currency trading, forex factory.......
For now, I go through all three channels.

Cartoon Network for the How to Train your Dragon TV series.

Nickelodeon for the Korra/Avatar series and their recent showing of Digimon.

Disney (Jr.) for their showing of Sofia the First and occasionally broadcasting the classic Disney movies.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff