1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
Went to a tangi. Spoke at a funeral. Held some slight level of authority at work as the unofficial 'Saturday Manager'.
2. Did you keep your New Years' Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't try cooking as many new things as I intended to. And didn't read many books. I'll definitely make new goals for next year though, I always like having things to aim for.
3 . Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, can't think of anyone who's had kids recently.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yup. My Mum. And my soon-to-be brother in-law Vinnie.
5. What countries did you visit?
Stayed in NZ this year. Went to Auckland though, and Gisborne, so at least I got out of Wellington a little bit.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
More money. I really need to earn more money.
7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
21 June. The day of sitting in a hospice, tired, bored, waiting to see how long Mum had left. And then finally she was gone.
8.What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Well I completed my course through work. So I'm a Dispensing Optician now, I just have to work a certain amount of hours so I can be registered by the Optician board. Plus I've pretty much finished planning the wedding, except a few things left.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I would have liked to have had more time to relax and enjoy little things this year, like being with friends more, or reading books, or baking. Instead there was too much going on to relax.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Sprains. It was a year of sprains. The hip sprain I got while playing Wii Fit early this year. The back sprain I got at work after bending over to put paper in the printer. And the neck sprain I got a few days ago stretching when I got up one morning.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Wedding things. A dress. Shoes, jewellery. All those wedding things.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Taina was understanding when I had mood swings, especially around the time Mum was in the hospice. He was patient with me feeling a little overwhelmed at Vinnie's tangi too.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Noone much. At work, there were moments I got exasperated with Richard's nagging. And Marcus changing my music when Christmas songs came up.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Wedding related things. And the trip to Auckland in April for Jess and Luke's wedding.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Wedding dress shopping. Halloween party. Finishing the Dispensing course.
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
I Wanna Get Better- The Bleachers. Mother We Share- CHVRCHES. Geronimo- Sheppard.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or Sadder? Sadder I think because I'm still adapting to the changes this year, Mum passing away. And I've been stressed and busy a lot so it takes a while to calm down from that.
ii. Thinner or Fatter than last year?
Just a slight bit thinner, due to spending more time at the gym.
iii. Richer or Poorer?
Haha. Poorer. My credit cards are looking pretty sad right now.
18: What do you wish you'd done more of?
Have quality 'me time' or whatever.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Eating Maccas and other fast food.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Christmas was yesterday. I was unsure how it would be, the first Christmas without Mum. But it was much like most Christmases in the end, presents, food, spending time with the family.
22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
Didn't need to, already got my lovely fiance.
23. How many one-night stands?
None. Or maybe you could say this year I had 365 one night stands with my fiance? Lol.
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Still Doctor Who. Sadly I don't watch much else on telly these days. Just never home when anything worth watching is on. And not much worth watching is ever on anyway.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not that I can think of.
26. What was the best book you read?
The only books I read were the three books in the Hunger Games series. So I guess they were the best books I read this year.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The "Feel Good Indie Rock' playlist on Spotify- introduced me to some great bands like The Bleachers, CHVRCHES, The Griswolds and a few others.
28. What did you want and get?
Dad gave me and Taina a barbecue for Christmas. That's pretty cool. Oh, and plus I got both of my two long distance friends back in the area in the same year- Jess finally moved back to Welly after a decade of living in Auckland, and Brennan moved back after five years of living in Australia.
29. What did you want and not get?
Lots of lots of money. Any major pay rises or promotions at work (I got a 50 cent an hour payrise, and no official promotions but was given the responsibility of acting like a manager on Saturdays, without the title or extra pay that would normally come from being an official manager).
30. What was your favorite film of the year?
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 was very good. Nothing else is jumping out at me right now.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 29. Kinda did a repeat of last year's birthday, hung out in Queensgate shopping for the day. Was a reasonable birthday, but possibly not the greatest. I spent most of the morning hunting around for a new phone charger in a hurry because my only charger had died, and my battery was almost gone but I was getting lots of birthday texts coming in. And you'd be surprised how difficult it is to find a charger for a Nokia phone these days. Everyone's all on smartphones and such.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more enjoyable?
I probably could have done without the family deaths, to be honest. Kinda made the year complicated, messy and depressing. And put a lot of emotional strain on me and Taina.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
I totally have a personal fashion concept. I'm so super fashionable. Na, I just wore work uniform, or trackpants and tops for the gym, or occasionally summer dresses or jeans in Winter. Nothing spesh.
34. What kept you sane?
I'm not sure I did always stay sane. But Taina really did well at not falling apart, and we got each other through the tricky times. My work friend Mark was a real sweetheart, full of kind words and texts when I needed them. And Jess was very supportive too.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I dunno, Russell Howard's cute. But as I say every year, I'm a bit past the age for celebrity crushes.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Not much, I didn't follow politics as much as I should have. Probably the election this year was what I followed the most. I was annoyed that National got in again.
37. Who did you miss?
In these last few months, I've sometimes missed Mum. Just certain situations where it's odd not having her around anymore. Noone much else to miss, because like I said. my two long distance friends moved back here so I've been able to see them a little more often than before.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Perhaps Anna and Sivvnesh, the two new part-timers at work. Anna's a lot like me, and Sivv's young but a really nice, easy to get along with guy.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014?
It's not about having time, or miraculously finding time, to get things done. You just have to make the time. If it means you don't get time to sleep, or eat, or do basic things? Tough!
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: "I didn't know I was broken til I wanted to change"- The Bleachers, 'I Wanna Get Better'.
· Thu Dec 25, 2014 @ 07:46pm · 0 Comments