Body and Appearance
1. Describe the character's height and build. Is she heavyset, thin, short, rangy?
2. How old is she?
3. Describe her posture. Does she carry herself well or does she slouch?
4. How is her health? Is she fit or out of shape? Any illnesses or conditions? Any physical disabilities?
5. How does she move? Is she clumsy, graceful, tense, fluid?
6. How attractive is this character physically? How does she perceive herself in the mirror?
7. Describe her complexion. Dark, light, clear, scarred?
8. Describe her hair: color, texture, style.
9. What color are her eyes?
10. Does the character have any other noteworthy features?
11. What are her chief tension centers?
12. What is the character's wardrobe like? Casual, dressy, utilitarian? Bright colors, pastels, neutrals? Is it varied, or does she have six of the same suit?
13. Do her clothes fit well? Does she seem comfortable in them?
14. Does she dress the same on the job as she does in his free time? If not, what are the differences?
15. You knew it was coming: Boxers, briefs or commando?
1. What does this character's voice sound like? High-pitched, deep, hoarse?
2. How does she normally speak? Loud, soft, fast, evenly? Does she talk easily, or does she hesitate?
3. Does the character have a distinct accent or dialect? Any individual quirks of pronunciation? Any, like, you know, verbal tics?
4. What language/s does she speak, and with how much fluency?
5. Does she switch languages or dialects in certain situations?
6. Is she a good impromptu speaker, or does she have to think about her words?
7. Is she eloquent or inarticulate? Under what circumstances might this change?
Mental and Emotional
1. How intelligent is this character? Is she book-smart or street-smart?
2. Does she think on his feet, or does she need time to deliberate?
3. Describe the character's thought process. Is she more logical, or more intuitive? Idealistic or practical?
4. What kind of education has the character had?
5. What are her areas of expertise? What, if anything, is she interested in learning more about?
6. Is she an introvert or an extrovert?
7. Describe the character's temperament. Is she even-tempered or does she have mood swings? Cheerful or melancholy? Laid-back or driven?
8. How does she respond to new people or situations? Is she suspicious, relaxed, timid, enthusiastic?
9. Is she more likely to act, or to react?
10. Which is her default: fight or flight?
11. Describe the character's sense of humor. Does she appreciate jokes? Puns? Gallows humor? Bathroom humor? Pranks?
12. Does the character have any diagnosable mental disorders? If yes, how does she deal with them?
13. What moments in this character's life have defined her as a person?
14. What does she fear?
15. What are her hopes or aspirations?
16. What is something she doesn't want anyone to find out about her?
1. Describe this character's relationship with her parents.
2. Does the character have any siblings? What is/was their relationship like?
3. Are there other blood relatives to whom she is close? Are there ones she can't stand?
4. Are there other, unrelated people whom she considers part of her family? What are her relationships with them?
5. Who is/was the character's best friend? How did they meet?
6. Does she have other close friends?
7. Does she make friends easily, or does she have trouble getting along with people?
8. Which does she consider more important: family or friends?
9. Is the character single, married, divorced, widowed? Has she been married more than once?
10. Is she currently in a romantic relationship with someone other than a spouse?
11. Who was her first crush? Who is her latest?
12. What does she look for in a romantic partner?
13. Does the character have children? Grandchildren? If yes, how does she relate to them? If no, does she want any?
14. Does she have any rivals or enemies?
15. What is the character's sexual orientation? Where does she fall on the Kinsey scale?
16. How does she feel about sex? How important is it to her?
17. What are her turn-ons? Turn-offs? Weird bedroom habits?
1. Do you know your character's astrological (zodiac of choice) sign? How well does she fit type?
2. Is this character religious, spiritual, both, or neither? How important are these elements in her life?
3. Does this character have a personal code of morals or ethics? If so, how did that begin? What would it take to compromise it?
4. How does she regard beliefs that differ from hers? Is she tolerant, intolerant, curious, indifferent?
5. What prejudices does she hold? Are they irrational or does she have a good reason for them?
1. What is the character's financial situation? Is she rich, poor, comfortable, in debt?
2. What is her social status? Has this changed over time, and if so, how has the change affected her?
3. Where does she live? House, apartment, trailer? Is her home her castle or just a place to crash? What condition is it in? Does she share it with others?
4. Besides the basic necessities, what does she spend her money on?
5. What does she do for a living? Is she good at it? Does she enjoy it, or would she rather be doing something else?
6. What are her interests or hobbies? How does she spend her free time?
7. What are her eating habits? Does she skip meals, eat out, drink alcohol, avoid certain foods?
Which of the following do you associate with the character, or which is her favorite:
3. Time of day?