Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Directional Correspondences

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lysine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:34 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

Table of Contents
1. Contents and Introduction
2. North
3. South
4. East
5. West.

Introduction
These are the correspondences of North, South, East, and West according to Celtic beliefs. There are many different versions, and you should use whatever works for you. I personally find, however, that the Celtic system works fine for me.
Directional correspondences can be used to lay out your altar, plan a ritual, figure out which way to face while doing spells, and more.

If you have anything to add, please feel free to post it! I am always open to more information.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:38 pm
North
North corresponds to the element of Earth, and earthy colors such as brown and forest green. North is also related to Pentacles, money, rocks, and all that is solid and firm.
On the north place of your altar, you can place crystals, a bowl of salt (useful for cleansing), and anything that means Earth to you.
Whenever possible, face North while doing spells and rituals related to money.

Lysine

Lysine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:41 pm
South
South is energy, growth, and the element of Fire. It is often symbolized by wands or staves and warm colors such as orange, yellow, and red.
On the South place in your altar, you could put your wand, a candle, and perhaps a potted plant.
Face South during rituals and spells related to energy, growth, and vitality.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:46 pm
East
East corresponds to the element of Air as well as the colors white and pale blue, thoughts, and knives and swords.
On the East place of your altar, consider putting your Athame, incense burner, and perhaps a journal in which you record your thoughts.
You can face East while doing spells and rituals related to thoughts, such as a spell for focus while studying for a test.

Lysine

Lysine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:51 pm
West
West is Water, emotions, cups, and colors such as sea green and bright, watery blue.
In the West part of your altar, you could put your chalice, cauldron, and if you collect Waters of the World* this would be a goo place to put them as well.
Face west during spells or rituals related to emotion, such as a ritual to help you keep your temper under control. West is also a good direction to build a ritual to keep rainstorms under control around, although you should be careful when meddling with weather.

* Waters of the World are an idea of the Pagan author Starhawk. You collect a few drops of water from everywhere you visit, mix them together, and there you have it - Waters of the World.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 pm
Question - if anyone happens to see this.

What would be the best place for the head of your bed?
Currently my only options are the North or West wall of my room. It's on the North side, because the East is my door (I don't feel comfortable not being able to see out my door), South is my closet, and West is my window. I haven't had any noticeable problems. I'll be moving soon though, and in picking out my room, I'd love to be able to consider the "ideal" place to put it. smile  

Ketmie

dark_angel_32189

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:25 am
I believe that it's North. Or it might depend on something. Let me see if I can find it in my book...

Okay it says that beds should be parallel with the room's floorboards, if they are visible. It also says that a beam or rafter in the ceiling over a bed will prevent sleep.

It says that the head of the bed pointint Noth increases stability, calmness, prosperity and quick recuperation from illness.

Sleeping with the head towards the East is said to follow the natural course of heavenly bodies. Also, if you live in a hot area, it might cool you down.

With it pointint South, nothing but weariness and disease will afflict you. This may also cause or aggravate insomnia.

Wit it pointing West ensures love and spirituality, increases sensitivity to all kinds and promotes psychic abilities. Ideal for those wishing to practice dream magic. Also promotes creativity.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:59 pm
Thank you that's really helpful =D  

Ketmie

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:52 pm
dark_angel_32189
With it pointint South, nothing but weariness and disease will afflict you. This may also cause or aggravate insomnia.

Oh... bugger sweatdrop my bed points south and I sometimes have sleep trouble.
It used to point east at times but that actually didn't seem to do much better for me, all the time I had nightmares either way until I got a dreamcatcher. My room is small though and there's no way that I can ask my parents to move my bed around. I also have a fear/paranoia problem with the idea of it facing north or west, because north is where my window is which would make me unable to see it and west would put my head near the door.

Typical that I got this bedroom like, because due to my window facing north at a certain awkward angle, I can NEVER see the moon from it! Rrrrrgh stressed  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games