53%
 53%  [ 30 ]
C. Gimme da gold!
28%
 28%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 56

famusamu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:43 pm
Well apparently Messianic Jews and some Protestants aren't the only ones to denounce Harry potter as evil, The Pope has too! Pope Benedict believes the Harry Potter books subtly seduce young readers and "distort Christianity in the soul" before it can develop properly. I very much agree with him, Harry Potter is witchcraft repackaged, the exterior may be all pretty and it may seem ok, but inside it contains those things associated with the devil.

Click here for the story:
The Pope and Harry Potter  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:46 pm
famusamu
I very much agree with him, Harry Potter is witchcraft repackaged, the exterior may be all pretty and it may seem ok, but inside it contains those things associated with the devil.

If this was any other part of Gaia, I'd brush this off as satire.

But I am deeply saddened by the fact that I cannot do that here.  

Sinner

Chronowatcher

Gaian

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:48 pm
It makes little kids look at magic as okay. They think that there is such thing as good and evil with magic.

I was at a gas station filling up my tank and I heard a commercial about harry potter, and the announcer said something to the effect of watch this battle of good vs evil...more like good intentions used in the wrong way.

Harry Potter is a tool used to delight children in searching into this "hidden" field. These books would be fine and dandy if the kids didn't take into it so personally, but alas, they can't, they have see it as harmless and they start themselves into defending these books and movies, yet are plagued with a twisted idea of what is right and what is not.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:57 pm
Yes, I so completely agree with Pope Benedict. Harry Potter is evil; the only option we have left is to burn all such books and discontinue the usage of freedom of speech.

You see, if we burn all the books, there will be none left to ruin and sow seeds of doubt in those too young to fend for themselves, spiritually speaking. The discontinueing of the freedom of speech will further guarantee that this will never happen again.

Our nation is so corrupt.  

chaoticpuppet

famusamu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:12 pm
The Christian alternative to Harry Potter

Christian Harry Potter

chaoticpuppet your sarcaism is duly noted and neither I or the Pope are saying burn books. Or to eliminate free speech. Parents should better monitor what their children are watching.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:31 pm
famusamu
]chaoticpuppet your sarcaism is duly noted and neither I or the Pope are saying burn books. Or to eliminate free speech. Parents should better monitor what their children are watching.

I know, I was merely trying my hand at some satire.  

chaoticpuppet

St. Michael of Edgewood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:12 pm
I dont like your quiz options.

Harry Potter is def. not a "highway to the Occult" but its not just a kids book either. Frankly I think its one of the greatest books I have ever read.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:18 pm
famusamu
..."distort Christianity in the soul"...

What is meant by this, exactly?  

Mechanism

St. Michael of Edgewood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:26 pm
The Pope just doesnt like J.K Rowling cuz shes a Presbyterian...jk...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:29 pm
I'm not too fond of our new Pope.

I do not believe you give individuals credit. I grew up reading a ton of fantasy/magic books, and it did not injure my spirituality in the least. For crying out loud, the LOTR series actually has underlying messages of religion, if you choose to look for them. I'm sure you could find the same in Harry Potter, as you can find anything if you search hard enough.

I have not read the books, but I have seen the first film. I am not a fan of the series, but only because it really isn't my cup of tea. I see nothing wrong with it spiritually... I don't think there is anything wrong with a little imagination. This is the conclusion I have drawn soley from the film, which seemed like a nice little fantasy.  

Ablazed
Captain

St. Michael of Edgewood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:32 pm
Ablazed

I do not believe you give individuals credit. I grew up reading a ton of fantasy/magic books, and it did not injure my spirituality in the least. For crying out loud, the LOTR series actually has underlying messages of religion, if you choose to look for them. I'm sure you could find the same in Harry Potter, as you can find anything if you search hard enough.

I have not read the books, but I have seen the first film. I am not a fan of the series, but only because it really isn't my cup of tea. I see nothing wrong with it spiritually... I don't think there is anything wrong with a little imagination. This is the conclusion I have drawn soley from the film, which seemed like a nice little fantasy.

"Looking for God in Harry Potter" - John Granger (yes, same last name as Hermione)

pretty good book explains a lot, Im just not sure if its true we should ask Rowling herself...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:58 pm
Ablazed

The Lord of the rings books were written by a Christain, J.R.R Tolkien who led C.S Lewis, the writer of the Chronicles of Narnia to the LORD. Harry Potter is quite different than LOTR or Narnia, because it does not give glory to God, nor has it's author done anything to be a witness to the LORD as Tolkien and Lewis have.  

baptistgirl

St. Michael of Edgewood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:05 pm
baptistgirl
Ablazed

The Lord of the rings books were written by a Christain, J.R.R Tolkien who led C.S Lewis, the writer of the Chronicles of Narnia to the LORD. Harry Potter is quite different than LOTR or Narnia, because it does not give glory to God, nor has it's author done anything to be a witness to the LORD as Tolkien and Lewis have.

She's Presbyterian and she is very generous with her money, I mean C.S Lewis was one of the greatest Christian writers of all time, how can she compete with that...

Have you even read the books? There are a lot of symbols for Christ and there are a lot of references to Christianity....  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:11 pm
baptistgirl
Ablazed

And where does Tolkien and Lewis mention God in "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Chronicles of Narnia"?  

St. Michael of Edgewood

famusamu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:21 pm
St. Michael of Edgewood
baptistgirl
Ablazed

She's Presbyterian and she is very generous with her money, I mean C.S Lewis was one of the greatest Christian writers of all time, how can she compete with that...

Have you even read the books? There are a lot of symbols for Christ and there are a lot of references to Christianity....
So going to church and and donating money to charity makes some one a Great Christian? rolleyes  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff