Reply Honeydew Syndrome
METIS

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Skizzors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:40 pm
In class today I was sort of paying attention to stuff and someone mentioned there were people called métis, so I was like "wut."
And then I get home, and A-WIKI-ING I GO.

1. A métis is a person born to parents who belong to different groups defined by visible physical differences, regarded as racial.

2. Metis was the first great spouse of Zeus, indeed his equal and the mother of Athena, the goddess of war and wisdom. By the era of Greek philosophy Metis had become the goddess of wisdom and deep thought, but her name originally connoted "magical cunning" and was as easily equated with the trickster powers of Prometheus as with the "royal metis" of Zeus.

exceprt from the second: "Zeus lay with Metis but immediately feared the consequences. It had been prophesied that Metis would bear extremely powerful children: the first, Athena and the second, a son more powerful than Zeus himself, who would eventually overthrow Zeus. In order to forestall these dire consequences, Zeus tricked her into turning herself into a fly and promptly swallowed her."

Yeah, uh. I was amused anyway. 8D  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:10 pm
I knew about number 1, but I didn't know about 2. O__o

Iiinteresting.  

Tinuu
Captain

Bimtav

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:46 pm
:O interesting trivia domokun  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:25 am
....So that's Athena's mother. I gave up on keeping track of Zeus' affairs xP.

Today I learned something new.

Either way, Metis is totally awesome =P.  

mystraven

Skizzors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:42 pm
mystraven
....So that's Athena's mother. I gave up on keeping track of Zeus' affairs xP.
Oh man, I know. gonk I had to read a book about Greek mythology for school, it's just like.. JESUS CHRIST ZEUS stop it already.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:31 pm
Ooh, cool! Thanks for the background information! 4laugh  

Excited_Calm

6,150 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Nyang
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:25 pm
Haha, Zeus is great. All he ever does is turn into bulls and rape people, or kidnap little boys to keep as cup-bearers (cough lover cough). Funny how Athena ended up one of his favourites anyway.

The moral of the story here is:

1. Nuu shouldn't name characters after whatever she thinks about as she's falling asleep.

2. Zeus is kind of a creepy ***** rapist.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:31 pm
Weirdest one I've heard about Zeus is where he turned into a sunbeam and impregnated a woman who was inside a cave. Yeeeah, Zeus is strange.

What's this cup-bearer thing? ninja  

Skizzors

mystraven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:17 am
Skizzors

Ganymedes, I think. Yea. He looked pretty so Zeus dragged him off to their sky-world and made him cup bearer. Apparently he's also the symbol of pedastry o_<.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:25 pm
mystraven
Skizzors

Ganymedes, I think. Yea. He looked pretty so Zeus dragged him off to their sky-world and made him cup bearer. Apparently he's also the symbol of pedastry o_<.

Yup, AKA "the Greek license". Apparently Hera hated the kid. Wonder why.  

Nyang
Crew

Honeydew Syndrome

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces