Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Visualization

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

shaddowchild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:39 pm
NOTE: This class/discussion is no longer taught/led by a teacher. However, please feel free to read through it and ask any questions that you may have or express any thoughts/opinions you have. Just please don't ask, "Can I join the class?" Because the answer is 'no'. Thank you.

Visualization is a very powerful tool in Witchcraft. It is the ability to "see" things that aren't physically present before you - to see with your mind and not your eye.

Part One:Introduction
Part Two:Visualization Exercises
Part Three:Personal Experience/Exercises  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:41 pm
Part One:

Visualization is important in Witchcraft because it helps you direct your energy. When you cast a circle, you visualize it being formed. When you charge a candle, you visualize the energy moving from you into the candle.

Some Witches are powerful enough to simply feel the energy and know what it is doing. But you will find that most Witches find visualization a vital part of their magickal success.

Nearly everyone possesses the ability to visualize. We did it as children when we played pretend or had an invisible friend. Some of us lost that ability as we grew up and grew serious. As a result, some people might need to practice to reconnect with this forgotten talent and turn it into a strong skill.

When you read the word apple, does a picture of an apple immediate pop into your head? That is visualization. It's that simple. The key is to develop your skill to the point you can hold a self-created image in your mind while your eyes are open.

Like mediation, you will find plenty of books, videos and cassettes to help you sharpen your visualization skills. We've also gathered some of the more common visualization exercises used in the craft to help get you started.  

shaddowchild

shaddowchild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 pm
Part Two:

Here's a progressive, four-step visualization exercise to help you sharpen your skills. Don't force yourself to complete each step in only one session. It takes time to develop great skills.

Exercise 1: Get into a comfortable position, close your eyes and relax. Take a few deep breaths and clear your mind. Allow pictures to pop into your head. Choose one and hold it. Don't let anything else enter your mind. Concentrate solely on that picture. Hold the picture for as long as you can. When you let it go, end the session. When you can hold the picture for five minutes, move on to the next exercise.

Exercise 2: Choose a very simple physical object, like a pencil, book, etc. Hold it in your hands. Memorize all you can about it: How does it feel, where to the shadows fall, how does it feel in your hands. When you are ready, set the object down and close your eyes. Recreate the object with all the detail you can in your mind. Can you feel it in your hands? Do you see the shadows playing on it? When you can hold the image for five minutes, move on.

Exercise 3: This gets tricky. This time, you create an image that exists no where on this Earth. What would a plant look like that grew on a distant planet? Create that plant in your mind with as much detail as you can. What does it look like? How does it feel? What is it's texture? Look at it from all angles. Let the picture vanish. Now recall it and hold it for as long as you can. When you can hold it for five minutes, move on.

Exercise 4: Recall your made up plant from outerspace. Once you have a solid picture of it in your mind, open your eyes and "see" that plant in the physical world. Look around you, keeping that plant firmly in the center of your vision everywhere you look. Make it as real as you can, like you could reach out and expect to touch it. When you can hold this for five minutes, you are finished.

Being able to visualize energy as well as the expected outcome of our magickal workings is vital to success. Continue to visualize items to make them real in the physical world like in exercise 4. The easier it becomes for you, the longer you'll be able to hold an image and the quicker you will become at visualization.

If you are feeling ambitious, try this exercise for a moving visualization. When working with magickal energy, you will need to move it. It is a good idea to practice making an object move, fast, without losing any of its visual quality.

Exercise 5: Imagine an object, such as a hotwheels car or a train. Visualize it down to the last detail. Open your eyes and see that object. Now, without losing any detail, make the object move. Make it race across the floor, up the wall, across the ceiling, all over the room. Continue this exercise, building up to the point where you can keep your vision moving for 5 minutes.

Learning to move your "object" will be a great advantage in your magickal workings. You will be able to direct the energy you see to move in any direction, to any place, with ease. You will see the energy flow around you as you cast a circle.

All above information curtsy of: Bewitching Ways  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:44 pm
Part Three:

I had some difficulties with visualization as well mostly trying to cast a circle. So what I decided to start smaller. So what I did was visualize a small yellow orb of energy between my hands. When I could get that down pretty I would try different colors as well. When I got all the different colors down I then tried to have a multicolored orb.

When I got pretty good with the small orbs I tried making larger ones. I would slowly work my way up. Then I moved on and made a “personal bubble” so to speak, just big enough to fit my body in. As I got better I would make it bigger each time.

So I guess the real key to visualization is to start small and keep it simple. With spell work picture you outcome in its simplest of form as possible. An example for your anti poverty spell just picture yourself or whoever the spell was for with money in their hands, a roof over your head, food on the table or something like that.  

shaddowchild

broken_tormented

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:26 pm
thanks, this is helpful  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:33 pm
Very nice!  

Fieryhexe

Lysine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:08 am
Very helpful. I'm going to try the exercises today.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:20 am
This is very helpful and informative! I'm going to try that first exercise this week, I'll let you know how it works out for me. :]

Edit: Well, I've been trying for ten minutes or so a day for the past few days, and so far it's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I considered myself a pretty good visualize...r, but I only seem to think a picture, I don't actually see it in front of me in the darkness when I close my eyes.

This will take some work. :0

leprosy lol

ElikAruna

Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:45 pm
leprosy lol
This is very helpful and informative! I'm going to try that first exercise this week, I'll let you know how it works out for me. :]

Edit: Well, I've been trying for ten minutes or so a day for the past few days, and so far it's a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I considered myself a pretty good visualize...r, but I only seem to think a picture, I don't actually see it in front of me in the darkness when I close my eyes.

This will take some work. :0

i'm the same. its harder for me to visualize something when my eyes are closed; its easier when they're open.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:39 pm
I have done all of the exercizes, and I can hold images, but I can't see energy. I can only feel it. I can feel it whenever I walk into a sheilded room, or step into circle, but I can never visualize energy...should I work on visualization longer.......or should I jsut rely on feeling it???  

~Lil Lost Piper~

Unforgiving Genius

dark_angel_32189

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:35 am
For most people, it takes more than once. Just keep trying. And be patient.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:09 am
arigato. ^_^  

~Lil Lost Piper~

Unforgiving Genius

Daearen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:09 pm
Thanks for making a guide like this! I have so much trouble visualizing ><  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games