Depends
17%
 17%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 63

pnai_pride777

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:40 pm
Reformed Baptist Wrote:
GO-YAFFA Wrote:
I think that you have to realize the time this was written in. Women were treated as property. I don't think God would support women being treated as such. God can work through anyone so why not a woman?

Your missing the point. God placed men in authority in marriage and in the Church. No one is saying that women are property, God forbid. The problem you and promised_child present is, "God can do anything, He can even place a women in authority over men, teaching men the Word" but yet wasn't it God himself who put women in submission? Genesis 3:16, "... Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you." Would God take back his own words and curse of the Fall? Apostle Paul is simply presenting an old truth to the Gentile Christians.

lets all not forget that God's law is different from the old testiments. before you were allowed to marry your sister, now thats not right  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Ok so here it goes...

Really it depends on what you mean by pulpit. If you are talking about the office of being a pastor, then no women should not be allowed. However if you are talking about youth groups, evangilism...s o on so forth...

I believe that the bible is true and that it is very clear on the matter.

(I am posting some things from another site, but I know them, and they won't mind...)

1 Timothy 3

Quote:
1 This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Quote:
1Ti 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection (being dominated).
1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

teaching ok, but to be an ordained minister...  

Forgotten_Skys

Selene_13_Immortal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:20 am
I would just like to point out something. (I have no idea if this has been stated before or not, but I'll say it anyway.)
When Paul wrote the letters, he wrote them to SPECIFIC CHURCHES. Not to the entire church. Back when churches were first being organized there were hundreds of different belief systems coming together from Jews, Pagans and the Germanic tribes and everywhere else. Also, for the first time, women were being included, and they were excited about it. Of course, they had a lot of questions. So many in fact that they would interupt the teaching to ask them. When Paul says that women should not speak in the church, he means that they shouldn't have interrupted to ask questions and should've waited till the end of the teaching. People take the Bible WAAAAYYYY too literally and do not take it in its historical context. This is also true when Paul talks about women cutting their hair and such. What he meant is that since there were so many different beleifs coming together, if the local tradition was to not cut your hair, then don't. He was just saying, "Don't offend anyone. Let's all be brothers and sisters in Christ and not fight over the details."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:06 pm
Selene_13_Immortal Wrote:
I would just like to point out something. (I have no idea if this has been stated before or not, but I'll say it anyway.)
When Paul wrote the letters, he wrote them to SPECIFIC CHURCHES. Not to the entire church.

In 1st Corinthians 14:33-34, Paul does not address the issue to "specific churches" rather he states, "As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says."

Back when churches were first being organized there were hundreds of different belief systems coming together from Jews, Pagans and the Germanic tribes and everywhere else. Also, for the first time, women were being included, and they were excited about it. Of course, they had a lot of questions. So many in fact that they would interupt the teaching to ask them. When Paul says that women should not speak in the church, he means that they shouldn't have interrupted to ask questions and should've waited till the end of the teaching. People take the Bible WAAAAYYYY too literally and do not take it in its historical context.

Also in 1st Timothy 2:8-15, Paul makes a biblical conclusion to why women should be in submission, meaning there is no reason to apply historical context. If you read 1 Tim 2:8-15 you would see that the Fall of Mankind is linked and that it is God's will for men to be in authority. For it is part of the Law of Nature.

1st Timothy 2:12-14 Wrote:
I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.

Second, there is a reason why women are to be kept silent in public worship, to be in submission. Paul is not presenting an historical tradition rather he presenting an biblical truth for he says, "as the Law also says." "The Law" meaning the Torah (Old Testament Scripture).

1st Corinthians 14:32-35 Wrote:
As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

Metanoeo

GO-YAFFA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:59 pm
Reformed Baptist Wrote:
When Paul wrote the letters, he wrote them to SPECIFIC CHURCHES. Not to the entire church.

In 1st Corinthians 14:33-34, Paul does not address the issue to "specific churches" rather he states, "As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says."

Back when churches were first being organized there were hundreds of different belief systems coming together from Jews, Pagans and the Germanic tribes and everywhere else. Also, for the first time, women were being included, and they were excited about it. Of course, they had a lot of questions. So many in fact that they would interupt the teaching to ask them. When Paul says that women should not speak in the church, he means that they shouldn't have interrupted to ask questions and should've waited till the end of the teaching. People take the Bible WAAAAYYYY too literally and do not take it in its historical context.

Also in 1st Timothy 2:8-15, Paul makes a biblical conclusion to why women should be in submission, meaning there is no reason to apply historical context. If you read 1 Tim 2:8-15 you would see that the Fall of Mankind is linked and that it is God's will for men to be in authority. For it is part of the Law of Nature.

1st Timothy 2:12-14 Wrote:
I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.

Second, there is a reason why women are to be kept silent in public worship, to be in submission. Paul is not presenting an historical tradition rather he presenting an biblical truth for he says, "as the Law also says." "The Law" meaning the Torah (Old Testament Scripture).

1st Corinthians 14:32-35 Wrote:
As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.
That was also written in a time where women often didn't know how to read. And weren't the Corintians know for worshipping a god that encouraged prostitution? You don't think that men have all athourity over women in such things as marrige do you? Either way, do you think a woman would really go to Hell for speaking in the pulpit? Especially if she's studied at a seminary and knows what she's talking about?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:22 pm
GO-YAFFA Wrote:
That was also written in a time where women often didn't know how to read. And weren't the Corintians know for worshipping a god that encouraged prostitution? You don't think that men have all athourity over women in such things as marrige do you? Either way, do you think a woman would really go to Hell for speaking in the pulpit? Especially if she's studied at a seminary and knows what she's talking about?

There is no argument for historical context in this debate. I have clearly posted above that Paul speaks in biblical perspective. Do I think that men have all authority over women in marriage? Well, define "all authority" because I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do I think a woman would goto Hell for speaking in the pulpit? No. I'm a Reformer. I believe that people goto Hell because they are wicked sinners who deserve God's Holy punishment. Now, Roman Catholics might believe that they would goto Hell for teaching in the pulpit but thats not me. Anyways, women having authority and teaching men is going against God's order for the Church. I have nothing against women being taught at a seminary school.  

Metanoeo

Emikay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:01 am
Okay, so a woman should not preach in a pulpit to a male crowd.

What about a female crowd?

And also.
What are you stands on a woman sharing her testimony to an un-saved man?
Should she take a position of teacher and share with him?
Or let him continue in his life, die, and be damned to hell?

Oh yes.
And what about couples?
I've seen in many churches a couple who preach.
The male is pre-dominant but the female helps prepare sermons and gives sermons when the male is away.
I think that is perfectly acceptable.

But I don't think a woman preaching is a sin perse.
I think it wouldn't be God's first choice, but I think if it boiled down to it.
He would prefer a woman preaching well than a man preaching poorly and leading people away from Him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:19 am
Emikay Wrote:
What about a female crowd?

Some Churches have no problems with female pastors teaching a female crowd but they still need to be under the authority of male leadership in the Church.

Emikay Wrote:
What are you stands on a woman sharing her testimony to an un-saved man?

Testimonies are always important in the body of the Church.

Emikay Wrote:
Should she take a position of teacher and share with him?

Sharing is one thing but teaching is another because it belongs to the male role.

Emikay Wrote:
Or let him continue in his life, die, and be damned to hell?

This question is quite radical. Assuming that if this male will go to Hell, lost his chance to be saved because women have no authority to teach. Another words, limiting women's role in the church results in male souls going to Hell? That's ridiculous. I'm a Reformer who believes that genuine believers are predestined to be saved through Christ before Creation (Eph 1). God draws people to Christ, not preachers, teachers or Christians.

Emikay Wrote:
And what about couples?
I've seen in many churches a couple who preach.
The male is pre-dominant but the female helps prepare sermons and gives sermons when the male is away.
I think that is perfectly acceptable.

As long as she is under submission.  

Metanoeo

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:43 pm
But doesn't God view everyone as equal? As a Christian, aren't you supposed to TREAT everyone as equals? Not allowing women in the pulpit would be discrimiation--going against the teachings of God.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:29 pm
tarah_titan Wrote:
i keep things short and too the point. woman was made from man. so i think what they mean is that we all need to shut-up and listen.

agreed...lol  

Nero18

Karo Kiba

Conservative Prophet

9,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:20 pm
I think women should be able to preach and be in the pulpit. However, we should be careful that we do not act too bossy or authoritative. I want to become a pastor, even though its a rather unpopular thing for women. I don't care. I only want to serve God. I think as long as a woman is doing it with a good, Godly intention and God's guidance.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:27 pm
Karo Kiba Wrote:
I think women should be able to preach and be in the pulpit. However, we should be careful that we do not act too bossy or authoritative. I want to become a pastor, even though its a rather unpopular thing for women. I don't care. I only want to serve God. I think as long as a woman is doing it with a good, Godly intention and God's guidance.

I fully support! Women can do whatever they want.

Yes, they can teach in the pulpit, and anywhere else where there are people willing to listen. After all, they were created equal.
And yes, I can back up my argument if anyone wants details =)
I only follow what God's word says  

Zora Dee

Aged Raider

2,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

freelance lover

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:55 pm
Why the heck not? If a woman is called to be a pastor then why stop her? Certainly God knows what he's doing, calling her to ministry. If her heart is with God, how is that wrong or sinful. I don't understand why a woman must always be under submission from a man either. Honestly, that's a little insulting to me. I really don't need a man telling me what to do- I know my heart and if God is with me what else do I need.

I offer to you, Deborah. Go read her story in Judges. A judge was pretty much the closest they had to a ruler or king at the time, as well as a religious leader. She fulfilled traditional masculne roles and then some, and try and tell me she wasn't called by God.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:37 pm
1 Timothy 2:8-15 (ESV) Wrote:
I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

1 Timothy 3:14-15 (ESV) Wrote:
I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these things to you so that, if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.

Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

But what do I know I'm just an Ordained minisrter - Female Ordained Minister

2 Timothy 3:16 Wrote:
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.
[/quote]  

ksmall72

Aquiella

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:03 pm
promised_child Wrote:
i am a woman.
i am a preacher as all christians are
paul when he said women are to learn in submission meant they had to stop yelling at their husbands across the temple when they had a question.
is every one missing the parts where paul sais "it is me saying this not the Lord"
the bible says that if man will not step to his call then He will call a woman, and if she will not step up then the very rocks will cry out. if women didnt preach when men wouldnt, we would have tons of screaming rocks all proclaiming the message of Christ.

all christians are told "go into all the world and preach the gospel." thats our job men women and children, possibly we should stop argueing about womens place in the church and start doing our jobs.

Here here!! I totally agree.
-----

Guys? I think your fighting over the same side of the coin.

Fighting over whether Orchid is pink or purple. (It's both. in between colors)

Quarreling over who can choose heads in a coin toss.

What's the point? Believe what you want. Post your oppininon, and maybe why you believe that way, and LET. IT. BE!!!! Everyone else is. Why can't you?

And I see nothing wrong with women preaching. Some people prefer female doctors over male ones. Some people are more likely to listen and take seriously the preaching of a woman rather than that of a man.

Is there anything wrong with that? No. It's just a preference.

Stop arguing over jots and tittles. It's silly.

(and makes you look like you have to be right no matter what.)  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff