The world suffers because...
  Man has not taken control...
  The Tribulation is coming
  God is unpleased with the way we act...
  We are fallen and we have sinned..
View Results

The Noble Protoman.exe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:15 am
Alright, I know I'm going to be real blatent here... But I've got several atheist and agnostic associates around me (mostly atheist) who use this argument against me all the time (even though I'm at school). Although I do not like to argue about why Chistianity is right, I do not appreciate it when people talk about my God like that. So here's the discussion...

Why would such a loving God allow so many people in the world to suffer.

My answer: "Well if you were God and you gave your people free will to decide if you were real or not, would you always intervene when they suffer?" Although this is bluntly put, I would have to make this a little nicer so people wouldn't be offended of course, but what would you say?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:08 pm
I would say... "If God really wanted to stop pain and suffering or evil in this world then mankind wouldn't be around. Humans have been corrupted since the Fall of Adam and Eve. 1) We sometimes might cause suffering unto others. 2) God may punish us for are sinful decisions. 3) Suffering maybe part of God's will for us."  

Monergism

Medanite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:56 pm
God is slow to anger, so if he punishes people, they had it coming to them long before the punishment. Look as Sodom and Gomorrah, They were destroyed by God because of their sexually impurity, (adultry, orgies, homosexuallity, ect.) and God gave them many chances to come back to him. And finally God got tired of it and destroyed the city. (After the believers had escaped)  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:44 pm
Because G-d values free will more than everyone being perfect, is the simplest answer of what I believe on this matter.  

ioioouiouiouio

yzz_90 rolled 3 12-sided dice: 2, 11, 12 Total: 25 (3-36)

yzz_90

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:29 pm
I remember talking to one of my Christian friends, and he's right, now that I think about it....he said that if we really think about it, hell is what we want. And when Jesus was talking to Nicodemus about being born again....we're afraid of exposing our evil deeds. We refuse to change because it's too hard. He may also allow suffering for His glory, for example, those martyred for their faith gives Him HUGE glory, or even something as simple as a Christian stuck in a wheelchair all his/her life, glorifying Him! God is pleased with such faith.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:53 am
Cometh The Inquisitor
Because G-d values free will more than everyone being perfect, is the simplest answer of what I believe on this matter.
Yes, but what of natural disasters like earthquakes and tidal waves...?  

The Noble Protoman.exe

scotch0069

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:05 pm
Actually we were taught about this one past sunday. It was stated as so. It is rediculus to actually consider God as just Loving and Good. He is an awsome powerful miraculous God. Some of the earlier transcribers would use a brand new writing utensil (i forgot what they were called) when the name of God was written and then burn it so that no blasphmey could be written with that very same pen. This is also to be seen when the isrealits were bringing the arch of the covenant into the city and the wheel broke and a man tried to keep it from falling. God specifically said no man is to touch the arch. So the man died, but this is just one aspect he is also a father figure OF SORTS... meaning a father guides just as much as he punishes. If a child says a bad word, in the earlier world before politics twisted a parent would spank. Dicipline is used to show the right way to live. without discipline we would spin into sin exponentioally. we need God's guidance and God's disapline.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:46 pm
Master Protoman_exe

Stuff happens. G-d created this wonderfully complex world where such tremendous displays of natural force can be displayed. Sure, human suffering occurs, but that suffering is simply a call to be more compassionate and generous in helping out the unfortunate.  

ioioouiouiouio

BabbYaNGEL

850 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 am
Master Protoman_exe
Alright, I know I'm going to be real blatent here... But I've got several atheist and agnostic associates around me (mostly atheist) who use this argument against me all the time (even though I'm at school). Although I do not like to argue about why Chistianity is right, I do not appreciate it when people talk about my God like that. So here's the discussion...

Why would such a loving God allow so many people in the world to suffer.

My answer: "Well if you were God and you gave your people free will to decide if you were real or not, would you always intervene when they suffer?" Although this is bluntly put, I would have to make this a little nicer so people wouldn't be offended of course, but what would you say?

You can get your answers from here:
http://www.everystudent.com/forum/outcome.html  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:58 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Master Protoman_exe

Stuff happens. G-d created this wonderfully complex world where such tremendous displays of natural force can be displayed. Sure, human suffering occurs, but that suffering is simply a call to be more compassionate and generous in helping out the unfortunate.

Cometh, have you heard of the bystander effect? This made me think of that phenomenon, which I did a presentation on a while ago. A homeless person sitting desolate on a street would have thousands of people walk by without anybody noticing! People have absolutely no initiative these days. Including myself! I'm to blame for this also! Only if something comes up, like a fire, or a flood do people realize the importance of each other; communities and help each other out! crying crying crying  

yzz_90

ryoushinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 pm
Nothing is pefect except God. Remember how Adam and Eve disobeyed God? God doesn't allow everything to go right. When there's danger and we are afraid, we need to show bravery, faith and courage.

Ok i got a little off topic there. In the US, do you see how we're pushing away God? Taking it out of the pledge of alligience, banning it from school, making it illigal to talk about in some places...
It's our choice. Though this planet is dangerous, if you believe in God, you will not be harmed.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:38 pm
If I know my God and Father at all, I know that He made suffering as part of the refining process (Zechariah 13:9). The world dies and burns eternally because it is impossible for flesh alone to be refined. There is nothing good in flesh (Romans 7:18.), but if a man has a right heart, then he will rejoice because he knows he is being refined. God takes a righteous man and puts him through much suffering so that his flesh will burn away, and the purity of the spirit remains. I know right now I am ready to accept anything God has instore for me, even if it be what happened to Job, because I know that no matter what happens it is for the good (Romans 8:28.)  

wrighteousdude

Arphaxad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:59 am
The point always comes down to free will.

Without free will, we would all be robot automotons that were under complete control of a mastermind. Sure, God could eliminate all the suffering in the world by getting rid of free will and have us do exactly as he wants to "make us healthy and happy without want for anything" - but we wouldn't be free to choose anything for ourself.

But with free will, we all have the freedom to make our own decisions, which not all of everyone's decisions turn out for the best for themselves or others... hence suffering in the world...

Now, as to "natural distasters" - I believe that God created the world to run by itself with natural effects. Weather effects (floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc) and geological effects (earthquakes, volcano eruptions, etc) are just part of the way the post-fall ecology works, as the way the "earth was cursed" and that man would have to till the ground to benefit from it.

So anyways, when someone says "Why would a loving God..." do this or that, I always answer, because he loved (and still loves) us enough to give us the freedom of choice in our lives. The ball has been in OUR court since creation... Man has always had the choice what to do with that ball... we just don't always make the right plays...  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:42 pm
the day is coming when we will be judged. We are responsible for our actions, not god. If God controlled everything we did, there would be no point. People grow and learn from pain. I think its God's way of showing us lessons to help us grow spiritually, because it hurts God to see us do wrong. heart  

marie66-may90

Berezi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:13 pm
Does there really have to be a point? Suffering is horrible, of course. But do we really have to have a point to suffering? Can that really help us cope? I'd wager not. Look back on your own suffering. How much of it has ended up bringing about good in time? If you'd known it would eventually lead to good, would it have made it any easier?

Also, haven't you ever allowed harm to come to someone you love as a result of their poor decisions because you knew the harm would make them better people in the end? That doesn't apply to all suffering, of course, but it does for some.

Haven't you ever picked up the book of Job? God never actually tells Job why. He just lets Job know that he isn't the one who controls the world and he doesn't know what is coming. Job became more like God as a result of his suffering, and I believe that God can use suffering to that effect. I admit it's not the prettiest way of doing things, but sometimes that's all that can be done. I personally think God tries other venues first before using suffering to teach us something. At least, that's been my experience.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff