Quotable Hunter

7,200 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:03 pm
Iomma Sensei
DJ Ducki
Flails in general are mostly used for like overhead crushing blows, as the base of the swing is amplified with the chain, as you can jump start the swing of it into an even more devestating blow with the spiked ball. I could also see the Dire Flail used like a pole weapon too though, spinning it around your body at the waist in a horizontal hit, then coming into a couple flurries of uppercut like hits with it, or even coming down in the same fashion.

I'm gonna stick to quarterstaffs, they're not so shifty on me.

I agree. Plus quarterstaves = much eaiser to defend with.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:12 pm
twilightwyrm
Iomma Sensei
DJ Ducki
Flails in general are mostly used for like overhead crushing blows, as the base of the swing is amplified with the chain, as you can jump start the swing of it into an even more devestating blow with the spiked ball. I could also see the Dire Flail used like a pole weapon too though, spinning it around your body at the waist in a horizontal hit, then coming into a couple flurries of uppercut like hits with it, or even coming down in the same fashion.

I'm gonna stick to quarterstaffs, they're not so shifty on me.

I agree. Plus quarterstaves = much eaiser to defend with.

Currenly, I've been dealing with a combination of a gun and a knife. Army training just doesn't cover that...

It's not fun... cry  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fiver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:56 pm
You still need to give the gun points for efficiency. You can kill a lot more people from a lot farther off with a machine gun than a quarterstaff.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:55 pm
Fiver
You still need to give the gun points for efficiency. You can kill a lot more people from a lot farther off with a machine gun than a quarterstaff.

Guns run out of ammo, and need training to use effectively. Sure, guns kill people faster, but breaking five ribs with your bare hands takes a bit more skill. Disarming someone of a knife, or a gun, takes ever more skill.  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:01 pm
Bringing this back around to tabletop games, I've noticed that most games use Strength to determine the amount of damage done by a gun. Doesn't this seem counterintuitive? Are they throwing the bullets?

Does anyone have a clue what the logic behind that might be?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:41 pm
Little Green Soldier
Bringing this back around to tabletop games, I've noticed that most games use Strength to determine the amount of damage done by a gun. Doesn't this seem counterintuitive? Are they throwing the bullets?

A cool game that didn't do that (Or even use Dexterity for that reason) is Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magik Obscura. It made a new atribute, perception... which is quite odd but very useful. And the fact that taking the technological path is much more... ahem, fullfilling in that game than it is in D&D (Effigies be damned!) I find myself palying that by myself and shooting things... puppies, kids, people, little woodland animals... large woodland animals... dire woodland animals... things that could probably eat woodlands by it'self...  

Herr_Major

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:35 am
Little Green Soldier

As illogical as it sounds, they're just doing what they're used to doing.

That, or a higher strength means you can keep the gun more steady when you fire, thus, keeping your aim and dealing more damage.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:25 am
My apologies to Herr_Major, I just realized that I accidentally clicked "Edit" instead of "Quote". I am an idiot.

If that game used a new perception stat, then we could feasibly attach guns to the wisdom stat since most games use wisdom for things related to perception.  

Little Green Soldier
Vice Captain

Fiver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:40 am
Well, I know D20 Modern doesn't do that.

I suppose in some games they may have a kind of modified gun, like mighty composite bows. As the character's strength goes up, they start modifying the gun to have more power behind it, and therefore more of a kick, which they're strong enough to handle.

Heck, I'd allow mighty guns in Modern. >.> They'd just have to be bought that way.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:52 pm
Fiver
Well, I know D20 Modern doesn't do that.

I suppose in some games they may have a kind of modified gun, like mighty composite bows. As the character's strength goes up, they start modifying the gun to have more power behind it, and therefore more of a kick, which they're strong enough to handle.

Heck, I'd allow mighty guns in Modern. >.> They'd just have to be bought that way.

Hell, I'd buy one! O.O. I'm sure my strength can handle one of those <.<...  

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Dwarf Capitain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:44 pm
Little Green Soldier

Having more strength means you can have a bigger weapon as well as control of aiming and holding your weapon as well..  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:22 pm
Which is basically what I said. <.<  

Fiver

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:56 pm
Yup, so how about them dire scythes ^^j...  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:17 pm
I can picture it in my head, and it looks really cool, but I have no idea how you would weild one. eek  

Fiver

Iomma Sensei
Crew

Dangerous Genius

3,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:03 pm
Just spin it around, how else would you wield one? Ya know...

Or have both ends pointing in one direction, and just make a rapid series of quick jabs <.<...  
The Drunken Dwarf Tavern

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff