Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Debate on Catholics and Christians Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

dirtdevilgrunt13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:33 am
Ok,now we can deabte ok the difference of Catholics and Christians.

Peter Made the first Catholic/Christian Church,as i was taught.
i consider them both the same.
We both pray to the same person,and being,just catholics bring mary into there teachings  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:48 am
Catholics are Christians, by definition. There is no debate.  

Tarrou

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:23 pm
Catholics are Christians.

Do you mean the difference between Catholics and Protestants?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:40 pm
Well, I believe Christians and Catholics are totally different. Christians don't do rosaries, don't worship Mary, and have an amazing personal relationship w/Christ.  

Atarashi No Sensei

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:11 pm
-Sunset Wahine-
Well, I believe Christians and Catholics are totally different. Christians don't do rosaries, don't worship Mary, and have an amazing personal relationship w/Christ.
Catholics are Christian.

I get so sick of repeating that.

And we don't worship Mary.

And the Rosary is a form of prayer, just like Protestants pray. And that's not the only way we pray.

And Catholics have an amazing person relationship with Christ, because we are Christian.

Please, please, please do a little research before you make uneducated claims about the specifics of someone else's faith.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:17 pm
Saying "Debate on Catholics and Christians" would be like saying "Dialogue between Blacks and Human Beings" regarding race relationships. Just as blacks are indeed human beings, Catholics are Christians.  

fantrl

fantrl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:19 pm
-Sunset Wahine-
and have an amazing personal relationship w/Christ.
Wow, I'm a huge fan of the judging your doing. God must have given you special powers to determine how much of a relationship each member of each sect of Christianity has with Christ. I wish I was lucky enough to know who is a better Christian than who.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:36 pm
SinfulGuillotine
-Sunset Wahine-
Catholics are Christian.

And the Rosary is a form of prayer, just like Protestants pray. And that's not the only way we pray.

And Catholics have an amazing person relationship with Christ, because we are Christian.

Please, please, please do a little research before you make uneducated claims about the specifics of someone else's faith.

Amen!

Besides, you can't really debate the differences between different branches of Christianity. You can only discuss.

Do keep in mind, though, that in every church there are people who are just doing the motions and don't have a relationship with God.

And fantrl, there are definetly less sarcastic ways to make the point that you did. Can we try to avoid hostilities in this, please?  

Berezi

Tarrou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:47 pm
Behold! Everything you ever wanted to know about Catholic doctrine and a bag of chips. If anyone else suddenly feels the need to make a comment about 'worshipping' Mary, may I suggest reading the catechism first? It would really save us all a lot of time.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:44 pm
SinfulGuillotine
-Sunset Wahine-
Catholics are Christian.

What I believe is what I believe. Christianity is not a religion like Catholicism is. It's simply knowing Christ. That is the reason people don't always use the word Christian because people then think you are religious. I'd rather say I know Jesus. Many Catholics worship more than one God, which contradicts what the Bible says. There are many more differences between the two. Do not mistake me like I'm judging you.  

Atarashi No Sensei

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:25 pm
-Sunset Wahine-
What I believe is what I believe. Christianity is not a religion like Catholicism is. It's simply knowing Christ.
You're implying that Catholics somehow don't know Christ.

Please explain this logic.

"Christian" is a very vague, umbrella term used to describe anyone who believes that Jesus was the son of God and aims to follow His teachings. Under that enormous umbrella, there are a variety of sects, and Catholicism is one of them.

Quote:
That is the reason people don't always use the word Christian because people then think you are religious. I'd rather say I know Jesus.
....So how is Christianity not a religion?
dictionary.com
religion:
–noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
6. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
7. religions, Archaic. religious rites.
8. Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one's vow.
—Idiom
9. get religion, Informal.
a. to acquire a deep conviction of the validity of religious beliefs and practices.
b. to resolve to mend one's errant ways: The company got religion and stopped making dangerous products.
Christianity is a religion. There are many different flavours of Christianity (Catholicism and Protestantism, for example), but it is a religion.

Quote:
Many Catholics worship more than one God, which contradicts what the Bible says.
Where di you hear that?

Because it's not true. At all. As I said, please actually do some research before making blind accusations of a faith that you do not understand.
Quote:
There are many more differences between the two.
There are differences between Catholicism and Protestantism. That much I'll agree to.

But seeing as how Catholicism is a form of Christianity...no, there are no differences between Catholicism and Christianity.

Quote:
Do not mistake me like I'm judging you.
I don't think you're judging me. I just think that you're extremely, extremely misinformed.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:29 pm
Berezi

Amen!

Besides, you can't really debate the differences between different branches of Christianity. You can only discuss.
So very, very true.

Quote:
Do keep in mind, though, that in every church there are people who are just doing the motions and don't have a relationship with God.
Oh, of course.

And I didn't mean to imply in any way that somehow all Catholics were more sincere in their faith than non-Catholic Christians. In any religion, in any sect, there's always people who go through the motions because they think it's the path of least resistance.  

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

Curium

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:01 am
-Sunset Wahine-
SinfulGuillotine
-Sunset Wahine-
Catholics are Christian.

What I believe is what I believe. Christianity is not a religion like Catholicism is. It's simply knowing Christ. That is the reason people don't always use the word Christian because people then think you are religious. I'd rather say I know Jesus. Many Catholics worship more than one God, which contradicts what the Bible says. There are many more differences between the two. Do not mistake me like I'm judging you.

If I weren't sitting in my room so far away from wherever you are I'd probably have to throw something at you. But anyway...Christianity is a religion. It's one of the world's major religions along with Judaism and Islam. Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity, just like Protestantism. Catholics worship GOD. Didn't I write down the Nicene creed in another thread somewhere? Anyway, Catholics believe in ONE GOD THE FATHER, THE ALMIGHTY. They believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and was born of Mary. They PRAY to saints and talk to them, but if that's considered worshiping, then you better stop writing in your diary or journal. Because talking to something that isn't God about your problems means you're worshiping it..... rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:04 am
SinfulGuillotine
Berezi

Oh, of course.

And I didn't mean to imply in any way that somehow all Catholics were more sincere in their faith than non-Catholic Christians. In any religion, in any sect, there's always people who go through the motions because they think it's the path of least resistance.
I figured that was how you felt.
Just making sure (because sometimes text can be confusing).

=)

Berezi

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas