*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Old Earth and the Bible

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you believe that an Old Earth is compatible with the bible?
  Yes
  No
  Unsure
  Don't feel it matters
View Results

Jocken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:48 pm
As can be found in another post of mine,
"Even if the Earth were 4.6 billion years old, it would not undermine the biblical account of creation. Genesis 1:3-5 (New International Version) asserts: "And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light 'day' and the darkness he called 'night.' And there was evening, and there was morning- the first day" (Genesis 1 New International Version). Throughout Genesis 1 the phrase "and there was evening and there was morning, the [first, second, third…] day" is used frequently. This is what seems to make it incompatible with a 4.6 billion-year-old Earth. However, this incompatibility dissipates when the original Hebrew definitions are analyzed (as the original text was in Hebrew). The words for evening, morning, and day have somewhat vague meanings. "Yowm" is the phonetic spelling of the Hebrew word that is translated as "day." It is defined as this: sunrise to sunset; sunset to sunset; a space of time (defined by an associated term); an age; time or period (without any reference to solar days). "Ereb" is the word defined as "evening" and means this: the beginning of darkness; dusk, twilight, or nightfall; closing, ending or completion. Finally, "Bocer" is the word translated as "morning." It means this: the breaking forth of light; dawn, daybreak or morning; dawning, beginning, or origin ("Word Studies in Genesis One by Hugh Ross, Ph. D." 3-4). Using the direct Hebrew definitions, the phase "and there was evening and there was morning, the [first, second, third…] day" could mean a number of things. It could mean something as completely different as "and there was an ending and there was a beginning, the [first, second, third…] age." This vastly different interpretation is entirely compatible with a 4.6 billion-year-old Earth."  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:53 pm
The way I heard it, the hebrew word that was translated as 'day' means something closer to 'an open-ended period of time that means something longer that a day'. However, it was translated as 'day'. thus making confusion as to the 7-day creationist theories.  

ioioouiouiouio

Berezi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:58 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
The way I heard it, the hebrew word that was translated as 'day' means something closer to 'an open-ended period of time that means something longer that a day'. However, it was translated as 'day'. thus making confusion as to the 7-day creationist theories.
It's funny. We've actually been having that sort of conversation in Anthropology today. I'm actually planning on finding one of the professors who specializes in the first two chapters of Genesis (like, he's spent a good deal of his life studying this) and talk to him about it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:16 pm
Berezi
It's funny. We've actually been having that sort of conversation in Anthropology today. I'm actually planning on finding one of the professors who specializes in the first two chapters of Genesis (like, he's spent a good deal of his life studying this) and talk to him about it.

Yeah, that word that is translated as day is, in hebrew, yôma. According to BDB's Hebrew lexicon, yôma is translated as:

1) day, time, year
a) day (as opposed to night)
b) day (24 hour period)
1) as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1 1
2) as a division of time
a) a working day, a day's journey
c) days, lifetime (pl.)
d) time, period (general)
e) year
f) temporal references
1) today
2) yesterday
3) tomorrow

Note that, while one definition of yôma is a 24-hour day, more definitions are extremely open-ended.  

ioioouiouiouio

Berezi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:33 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
Berezi

Yeah, that word that is translated as day is, in hebrew, yôma. According to BDB's Hebrew lexicon, yôma is translated as:

1) day, time, year
a) day (as opposed to night)
b) day (24 hour period)
1) as defined by evening and morning in Genesis 1 1
2) as a division of time
a) a working day, a day's journey
c) days, lifetime (pl.)
d) time, period (general)
e) year
f) temporal references
1) today
2) yesterday
3) tomorrow

Note that, while one definition of yôma is a 24-hour day, more definitions are extremely open-ended.
No, I mean other things, like is it history or is it poetry?

Because Hebrew readers would have interpreted it differently depending on what it was.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:08 pm
Yes, one danger is to assign the word too much leeway. As I understand, the word was used in everyday Hebrew speech to mean day. However, in a poetic sense, it acquires all these definitions. It's like in English. "What will tomorrow bring?" Although "tomorrow" literally refers to one day, in a poetic setting, it can refer to the furture in general. It seems to be a universal poetic device to make time relations ambiguous. I'm pretty sure, though, that Genesis 1&2 is designed as more poetic than historical.  

Jocken

Curium

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:53 am
So, then I guess no one really disagrees here, then. Anyway, I think that the earth being 4.6 billion years old does not conflict with the Bible. Didn't Moses write Genesis? Compared to eternity, a billion years and one second all seem the same...so if Moses was seeing this, wouldn't it have looked the same to him?  
Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games