Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
can psycics be christians Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Submit

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:54 pm
zz1000zz Wrote:
Sure, in the future it may be possible for a giant noodle monster to leap from my brain. I suppose we must accept science may one day prove that too.[/sarcasm]

Now for a response without sarcasm. I do not admit the possibility you claim i admit. Science claims a method of combining those two realms of thought is impossible, so unless something contradicts this it must be viewed as impossible. The only "possibility" of combining the two stems from the lack of adequate linguistic properties.

It is greatly akin to saying some day we may be able to prove a triangle can be a square. These two are completely incompatible, and unless some method of showing otherwise can be presented, there is no reason to believe they are the same.

May I direct you to you're post in which you said
you Wrote:
Is it because they are not explained by science? How do we know science will not be able to explain them in the future?
Now, I just spent the last five posts in a long and drawn out analogy to show you just how your logic is inherently flawed and that my point stands (and, to answer your question, yes, it is because it is unexplainable by science).

Quote:
If you looked for those posts, you should have seen where i responded. I have asked you many times to explain what makes psychic powers different from other attributes/abilities. This has been the only point of disagreement between us (at least that is directly tied to the topic), and you have never responded:

See last line of my above partition.

[quote]"For all the times you say this, you do not offer any reasoning to support it. You say, "Psychic/medium abilities are supernatural, as in they don't occur naturally." Says who?
Says science, the scientific process, and Occam's razor.
Quote:
How are those abilities different from any other? Is it because they are not explained by science? How do we know science will not be able to explain them in the future?"

Didn't we just agree that this 'what if in the future...' crap was a waste of time?

Quote:
My "half-assed defenses"? I offered only one, so it should not be plural.

Boo-Hoo. I split up my post into two partitions, I naturall assume it's two arguements when looking back.

Quote:
More importantly, it was not refuted. My "defense" is that you have not done anything to prove your point. You have offered no distinction between physical and psychic abilities, save to arbitrarily declare psychic abilities as supernatural.

Okay, I'll lay it out for you. Psychic activity is, even if real, outside the realm of science. That is to say that, any and all psychich activites that supposedly happen are either fraudulent acts or something that is scientifically unexplainable. Things such as mind-reading are not only unexplained by science, but they are contrary to all that genuinly scientific feilds (such as psychology and physiology) have shown us.

Quote:
As for the science and God aspect. You have done nothing to show science could ever prove/disprove God's existence. I need offer nothing for any point i have made, as i do not have the burden of proof.

I don't need proof, as I was making no claims. I was simply showing you how flawed your statements were.

Quote:
Just a matter of interest to me. Your "mini-thread" at the bottom of the page would have shown every post i made in this topic, so i am not sure how you could "find more." So, yes i would like you to find more, just because you said you could.

Really? Eh, I don't exactly pay attention, I just looked through the mini-thread and went through my posts for responses.
Oh well.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:21 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. click to show.
It's hard to prove a point when you have to repeat the same questions over and over again and when you contradict yourself.
^^'
This is a tricky question and it does have to go with what you believe about the spiritual relm and what you think about humans interacting with that world.
According to science, it doesn't exist, but then again, science can't prove everything. Ok, to not start off an some other topic, I would just like to leave it at my first statement.

Seority

zz1000zz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:18 am
The net sum of all of this is:

Quote:
Okay, I'll lay it out for you. Psychic activity is, even if real, outside the realm of science. That is to say that, any and all psychich activites that supposedly happen are either fraudulent acts or something that is scientifically unexplainable. Things such as mind-reading are not only unexplained by science, but they are contrary to all that genuinly scientific feilds (such as psychology and physiology) have shown us.

That is all i wanted you to say. I have no particular desire to defend psychic abilities, as i do not believe in them. I simply wanted you to justify your claims, which you refused to do until now.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:58 am
Cometh, I'd like to point out that making derogatory remarks about other people can only *dectract* from your arguement, no matter how well-thought out it may or may not be.
Making uncalled for comments about other people only makes you look bad, not them.
If you don't see what I mean in reference to your posts, try going back through them and imagine someone else applying those same adjectives to yourself. Sometimes we forget what words we are using to try to get our point accross.  

Kittey-chan

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:00 pm
that_fairy Wrote:
Cometh, I'd like to point out that making derogatory remarks about other people can only *dectract* from your arguement, no matter how well-thought out it may or may not be.
Making uncalled for comments about other people only makes you look bad, not them.
If you don't see what I mean in reference to your posts, try going back through them and imagine someone else applying those same adjectives to yourself. Sometimes we forget what words we are using to try to get our point accross.

Actually, my caustic remarks are placed in my posts to denegrate the other side into witless insults. It's a simple test to seperate those who actually have the maturity to engage in a drawn-out debate. Plus, I simply put them in because I say such sarcastic things in my normal speech.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:47 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor Wrote:
that_fairy Wrote:

Actually, my caustic remarks are placed in my posts to denegrate the other side into witless insults. It's a simple test to seperate those who actually have the maturity to engage in a drawn-out debate. Plus, I simply put them in because I say such sarcastic things in my normal speech.

Perhaps that is your motive, but trying to bait other people into making fools of themselves is quite unkind. And, the fact that you do something normally does not make it ok.
Do unto others as you would have them to unto you- when in doubt.  

Kittey-chan

Countess Verona

Beloved Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:13 pm
LittlePinky82 Wrote:
Berezi Wrote:
LittlePinky82 Wrote:
Berezi Wrote:
Well, there is the gift of prophecy.

But propehcy acknowledges the source of the knowledge as God.

Right. I'm psychic and very involved with the spiritual realms and I have a friend who is too and we're both Christian's. As long as you follow the commandments from Christ and God and accept Christ as your savior and baptism you're a Christian. Of course some faiths don't teach baptism but each person can only decide for themselves in the end. But anyways yes Christian's can be psychic. I didn't ask for this "gift" but it happens and I don't know how to control it either. I personally believe we're all with it but some of us just forget or don't care to use it. If you were to tell me in 1998 that I would be psychic in 2006 I would have said you were crazy.
Christians can be prophets. That is a spiritual gift that you have.

The word psychic traditionally has connotations of originating from somewhere other than God. Prophet, however, acknowledges God as the source.

That is true. Some psychics I know of just recognize a Higher power. No Diety in general but just someone. I recognize my higherself in contact with God and I believe that God is the only one who can see the ultimate and permanent future. Some psychics get information in different ways. I'm not sure how it works but it's always been reliable.

There is a spiritual realm out there that is more real than what we can see with our natural eyes. When satan fell from heaven, some of the angels went with him and now these are the demons that the Bible talks about. When you are a prophet of God, you are listening to the Holy Spirit Who talks to you and lets you know the things that are to come because the Bible says that God does nothing without first letting His prophets know. On the other hand, the devil can use this gift that God has given His children of spiritual insight and try to trick them. The devil copies and mimics God just as he has always done and tries to trick people into thinking that they are listening to God when actually the demons can be speaking and showing them "prophetic things". The Bible says in 1 John 4:1 that we are to test the spirits. Any spirit that comes to us and speaks to us, we are to test them. If they confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, they are from God. The devil is a deceiver and he is very good at it but God is not the author of confusion. God is peace and comfort and light. As God's children, we need to be careful that we are yielding to God and testing the spirits. God does not want us to be confused. God bless!
smilies/icon_smile.gif smilies/icon_heart.gif  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:33 am
that_fairy Wrote:

Next we can start poking people while we talk to them, just to see if they are "mature."  

zz1000zz

Kittey-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:30 pm
zz1000zz Wrote:
that_fairy Wrote:

Next we can start poking people while we talk to them, just to see if they are "mature."

Can I start poking you with sharp metal objects?
Pleeeeeeeze??? smilies/icon_xd.gif  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:22 pm
zz1000zz Wrote:

If you can do that through a screen and (in all likelyhood) several thousand miles, then go ahead. Heck, I won't even be mad, that's really impressive.  

ioioouiouiouio

Kittey-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:14 pm
zz1000zz Wrote:

If you can do that through a screen and (in all likelyhood) several thousand miles, then go ahead. Heck, I won't even be mad, that's really impressive.

Okais!! *starts poking screen*

...this could take a while to work out.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:20 am
Of course psychics can be Christians. My favorite psychic to read about, Edgar Cayce, was Christian.  

RatTurd

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:47 am
witiches are not christian.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:57 am
I don't have time to read the whole discussion, so forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else already said.

Typically, those that call themselves psychics are not Christians; the Bible even says to stay away from psychics and mediums (somewhere in Isaiah ... I don't have time to look it up). However, if someone is a Christian and is able to predict the future, they're usually called a prophet. So, in a sense, the answer to your question would be yes.  

Mountain Rose

chiaroscuro13

Distinct Exhibitionist

14,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:49 am
I believe science is man method of appreciating God's creations. Science compliments the Bible, not the other way round. But I misread the word pshycis for physics smilies/icon_sweatdrop.gif Pshychics practice pagan-like rituals but it is truly for God to decide in the end whom is or isn't really what they claim to be.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff