Homeschooling and stay-at-home parenting Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mama Ame

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:27 pm
I recently did two topics in the ED forum, one about the different methods of teaching and the other "But I WANT to be a housewife!"
Those were mostly secular views, so now I've decided to see a Christian's point-of-view.
Also, if this has already been done I'm SO sorry. Kick me if you must.
But anyways on with the topic. I am currently engaged. Yay ^___^. Happy Ame! Anyways I've pretty much decided that I want to be a stay-at-home parent. If I had to work, say for financial reasons I would. But if its just for some luxary money, we can do without. He (the future hubby) agrees with me. We both believe that atleast one parent should be home to take care of the house and nuture the child. I'm old fashion, so I generally believe in the woman staying at home and doing the domestic work, and the man bringing in the money. To me these are both extremely important jobs.
Which comes to my second point, homeschooling. We're going to be a military family, due to the fact that hes joining the air force for college money. We've decided on homeschooling for several reasons. One of those reasons is the moving aspect. When I was in school I moved around so much, it got confusing. At one school I'd be ahead, at another I'd be behind. I even changed from a small christian school, to one of hte largest schools in my state.
Another thing is, the moral issues in both public AND private school. At public school you have evolution and "abortion-is-ok-its-just-a-fetus" behind shoved down your throat all day. However, a private school can be bad as well. Especially the ones who make anyone NOT being a Christian a complete monster who should be shunned by society. You know the type, the ones that hate homosexuals. The ones that tell you if you play video games you're bound to Hell. Now, I don't agree with homosexuality, but I'm not going to condemn anyone or be mean and hateful to them because they are. Jesus said love the sinner hate the sin. I'm also not saying that ALL private schools are like that, I went to a very nice one. But private schools are also expensive...
Any questions? Comments?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:37 pm
Hmmm.. I guess since you'll be moving around a lot, it'll be a good choice in that aspect. But kids also need contact with other kids. ^^ But there are totally groups you could join. My mom was part of one.. We mostly went on camping trips and stuff. (This was mostly when all us kids were ages 2-7 or so) Actually, I think I made more friends in that group than I did in public school. XD;;  

Guacamole-kun

Mama Ame

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:50 pm
Oh, yes I completely agree. I don't want to have anti social children. So of course we'll get them involved in a homeschooling group, or youth group, or something of that sort.
Actually I don't really understand peoples logic with the whole "You-have-to-go-to-school-to-be-social" thing. Most elementary schools I've seen don't allow the children to talk have the time, except at recess. Its like they have to be quiet in class, quiet in the hallways. I don't see the socializing going on...
But yeah I agree that kids need to have friends. Mommy needs some alone time now and then LOL  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:39 pm
Ame no Tenshi
Oh, yes I completely agree. I don't want to have anti social children. So of course we'll get them involved in a homeschooling group, or youth group, or something of that sort.
Actually I don't really understand peoples logic with the whole "You-have-to-go-to-school-to-be-social" thing. Most elementary schools I've seen don't allow the children to talk have the time, except at recess. Its like they have to be quiet in class, quiet in the hallways. I don't see the socializing going on...
But yeah I agree that kids need to have friends. Mommy needs some alone time now and then LOL

Hmm, that's true... there is recess, of course... but the rules are getting stricter and stricter and more idiotic and PC, and kids just aren't allowed to be kids in some schools any more. ~___~;;; But I guess a lot of the people who think that school is the only way kids can be social probably just aren't involved enough in their kids' lives. :3

Anyway, good luck with the home-schooling, and with... well, your whole life as a parent, and all! mrgreen  

Guacamole-kun

ioioouiouiouio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:20 am
Ame no Tenshi
recently did two topics in the ED forum, one about the different methods of teaching and the other "But I WANT to be a housewife!"
Those were mostly secular views, so now I've decided to see a Christian's point-of-view.
But anyways on with the topic. I am currently engaged. Yay ^___^. Happy Ame! Anyways I've pretty much decided that I want to be a stay-at-home parent. If I had to work, say for financial reasons I would. But if its just for some luxary money, we can do without. He (the future hubby) agrees with me. We both believe that atleast one parent should be home to take care of the house and nuture the child. I'm old fashion, so I generally believe in the woman staying at home and doing the domestic work, and the man bringing in the money. To me these are both extremely important jobs.

Good for you. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you have to go get a job instead of being a stay-at-home parent. it's all about choice.

Quote:
Which comes to my second point, homeschooling. We're going to be a military family, due to the fact that hes joining the air force for college money. We've decided on homeschooling for several reasons. One of those reasons is the moving aspect. When I was in school I moved around so much, it got confusing. At one school I'd be ahead, at another I'd be behind. I even changed from a small christian school, to one of hte largest schools in my state.
Another thing is, the moral issues in both public AND private school. At public school you have evolution and "abortion-is-ok-its-just-a-fetus" behind shoved down your throat all day. However, a private school can be bad as well. Especially the ones who make anyone NOT being a Christian a complete monster who should be shunned by society. You know the type, the ones that hate homosexuals. The ones that tell you if you play video games you're bound to Hell. Now, I don't agree with homosexuality, but I'm not going to condemn anyone or be mean and hateful to them because they are. Jesus said love the sinner hate the sin. I'm also not saying that ALL private schools are like that, I went to a very nice one. But private schools are also expensive...
Any questions? Comments?

Personally, I believe that home-schooling is detrimental to a child's social development. Of course, I realize that home-schooling does not entirely stop a child from developing, but I think that, in such a limited enviroment, a child cannot fully create the abilities to interact with others (especially those with opposing viewpoints or differing backgrounds).

Secondly, I think that home-schooling limits a child's learning enviroment. No matter where a child goes to school, be it private, public or home-school, it is important for that child to learn about all different things, even opposing viewpoints. If the child is not properly taught about things that are in opposition to, say, the parent's beliefs (for example, on abortion), then, when that child is truely exposed to the issue, they are unable to properly deal with the issue.

in short, stay on the safe side. Let your kids go to public school and, when questionable issues come up, then talk to your kids.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:29 am
I was homeschooled adn I wish my mother did it sooner. I had a blast in homeschool. If you finish the work earlier than expected you can do other things like go to the park, zoo, or even musiems. Sorry about the spelling.

I think being a stay at home mom and a homeschool teacher will be better for your children and for you as well. You will be able to teach them what you think is right and how to love everyone and all that stuff. I did not like public school because the kids would push me done the stairs and into the lockers.  

Jenniferlynn

LittlePinky82

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:17 am
I wanted to address a few things in your posts. I went to public school all my life and I LOVED it. I made many friends who were of different cultures and backgrounds and religions. I became really open-minded and just learned a lot about different people and made some really nice friendships and I grew up pretty average. I stayed strong in my own faith as a Christian and even though I had friends who were pretty opposite of me I didn't ever let them get through me faith wise even if I did change my mind about an issue or something like that from just talking to them but that didn't mean I still wasn't a Christian etc. In public school, the one I attended anyway, they never forced you to believe anything. They presented the facts and you can make up your own mind.
Science is left to the scientists and not to religious fundamentalists who like to pretend they are scientists. If you don't like abortion then don't get one. But do not do what you're claiming public schools do and force your beliefs onto other people. That's just being a hypocrite. My cousin and his wife are right now homeschooling their little boy but when he gets older he will be going to public school. He really wants to go as well. I think more so because he can be with his friends and interact with them instead of being at home. You shouldn't force your child to be homeschooled. Yes you will be the parent but if your child is miserable they won't do well in school (believe me I know that from experience with my own personal life). At the public school I went to there were clubs including Christian clubs. I'm glad you're open-minded about gay people and that is refreshing to hear. Recently a few months ago there was a school in California, private Christian school, who kicked out a girl because she had parents who were gay (female). The girl herself was not gay and she even had other siblings who went to the school and they didn't kick them out. rolleyes Maybe what you could do is homeschool your child for a while and see how they like that and maybe when they are older and seem interested in being in public school could do that. I had a friend in high school I met through another friend and she was home schooled (the first friend mentioned). She liked it pretty well and she had a lot of brothers and sisters. Her oldest sister graduated a good bit earlier then her friends so that also has a plus and they don't have quite so many hours as being in school.

Ame no Tenshi
I recently did two topics in the ED forum, one about the different methods of teaching and the other "But I WANT to be a housewife!"
Any questions? Comments?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:19 am
At the public school I went to we were allowed to talk in the hall ways but yes sometimes you had to be quiet. It all just depended and same with the classroom. So it all depends on the teacher and how they are.

Ame no Tenshi

LittlePinky82

LittlePinky82

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:21 am
Very true about choice. The feminist movement way back when was about choice. Not that you have to do it, just the opportunity is there for a woman if she wanted or had to work. True feminists know that and still respect that today. I would enjoy working I think more because I like to stay busy and I get bored very easily with life. smile

Cometh The Inquisitor
Good for you. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you have to go get a job instead of being a stay-at-home parent. it's all about choice.

I do agree there but what about the issue of moving around?

Quote:

Personally, I believe that home-schooling is detrimental to a child's social development. Of course, I realize that home-schooling does not entirely stop a child from developing, but I think that, in such a limited enviroment, a child cannot fully create the abilities to interact with others (especially those with opposing viewpoints or differing backgrounds).

Secondly, I think that home-schooling limits a child's learning enviroment. No matter where a child goes to school, be it private, public or home-school, it is important for that child to learn about all different things, even opposing viewpoints. If the child is not properly taught about things that are in opposition to, say, the parent's beliefs (for example, on abortion), then, when that child is truely exposed to the issue, they are unable to properly deal with the issue.

in short, stay on the safe side. Let your kids go to public school and, when questionable issues come up, then talk to your kids.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:22 am
Aw I'm sorry the kids were mean to you. sad heart

Jenniferlynn
I was homeschooled adn I wish my mother did it sooner. I had a blast in homeschool. If you finish the work earlier than expected you can do other things like go to the park, zoo, or even musiems. Sorry about the spelling.

I think being a stay at home mom and a homeschool teacher will be better for your children and for you as well. You will be able to teach them what you think is right and how to love everyone and all that stuff. I did not like public school because the kids would push me done the stairs and into the lockers.

LittlePinky82

Jenniferlynn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:40 am
LittlePinky82 it is okay it happened eight years ago I am totally over it now. I just thought that I should mention why my mother took me out of school to homeschool me. I think everyone has a different experince in public schools and some just can not find friends or people who have similar beliefs or even similar lifestyles. I always got things from hand-me-down places and still do. The girls in school would pick on me because of that but the guys poicked on my because I developed at a very young age and they were just mean then. * Laughs*
Now that I am college I do not care what the other students think of me. I am not here to make friends just to get my degree and then head to work. If I do make a few friends great but I am not going to go home and cry just because some girls said my clothes are not in this year.( Which happens everyday *laughs*) heart  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:38 pm
LittlePinky82

I do agree there but what about the issue of moving around?

I believe the phrase 'Tis better to have loved and lost than have never loved at all' sums it up the best.

Besides, as we gaians have clearly shown, in this day-and-age, long-distance communication with friends and the like is no problem.  

ioioouiouiouio

vampy dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:39 pm
I think it's cool you want to be a housewife. Don't see much of that anymore. But on the homeschooling, I don't think that's a great idea. I went to a private school for elementary and then public for middle and high. I've had a blast for the most part. I have so many friends from so many places. Even a** a military family, you won't be moving ALL the time, only every couple of years. I live in a military town so I see people comming and going a lot. It gives the kids an opportunity to make friends all over the world and a chance to meet totally different people. And really, with computers and email now, they can still keep in touch with their friends after you move away. Homeschooling does deprive children of a lot of experiances they encounter only in school, whether public or private. I know a ton of kids who have been homeschooled. Many of them wish they could be in public school with the rest of their friends. I ask what the best thing about homeschooling is and alot of them say it's sleeping in. That's it. Kind of sad, no? Then again, this is just my opinion.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:42 am
Well I'm glad things are better though. I also like college a lot better because you don't have to worry so much about making friends and fitting in and all the other issues that life at that age brings you. smile Plus, the people in college for the most part are just more mature. People actually hold doors open for you. LOL.

Jenniferlynn
LittlePinky82 it is okay it happened eight years ago I am totally over it now. I just thought that I should mention why my mother took me out of school to homeschool me. I think everyone has a different experince in public schools and some just can not find friends or people who have similar beliefs or even similar lifestyles. I always got things from hand-me-down places and still do. The girls in school would pick on me because of that but the guys poicked on my because I developed at a very young age and they were just mean then. * Laughs*
Now that I am college I do not care what the other students think of me. I am not here to make friends just to get my degree and then head to work. If I do make a few friends great but I am not going to go home and cry just because some girls said my clothes are not in this year.( Which happens everyday *laughs*) heart

LittlePinky82

Cataera

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:54 pm
I am the mother of a five year old girl and a three year old boy. I am currently going to school to become a teacher--an English, Japanese language teacher (I also am hoping to help Special Needs children) and I would absolutely love to homeschool my kids. The only problem I see with it is the lack of social interaction with kids their own age. Kids need that social interaction. But, I also know a lot about the moving around--I went to 17 schools before I fianally graduated from school and they were in two different states, in much different climates and the whole bit. One suggestion that I would throw out there is when you guys move, why not start a group with the other kids. You could even do it after school and have the social interactions that way. When you move then, you can keep in touch with all of the other kids (like pen pals) and make the most of your situation. That is just an idea I had. biggrin  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff